Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    "I dont like thing, therefor it's bad", every time game X releases the number of hobby writers crying wRiTiNg bAd increases in unmeasurable numbers, suddenly every "Gamer" is a high art Connoisseur, newsflash Warcrafts Lore is aimed at 12 Year old's since ATLEAST Warcraft 3 in substance.
    Says the dude that wRiTeS lIkE tHiS. It's retarded and shows your lack of originality and therefor your opinion is invalid.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-12-25 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    We begin with «Who attacked first» at blizzcon. They’ve villain batted the horde since the beginning of time, what a suprise they also attacked first... AGAIN. We could have had Jaina burning it down to frame the horde or have the alliance attack first for once but nooo...

No matter how much the Horde beat the Alliance they always just won anyway. Lordaeron plaguebombed and lost their entire army? Just summon jaina. She can suddenly remove blight and blast walls with a magic ship and teleport them anywhere.

Then they realised that their writers couldnt fucking write a morally grey story so they give the alliance straight up Purge squads to kill the Vulpera. Totally not out of character

Alliance didnt lose a single character while the horde lost 3, what a suprise

Sylvanas literally having the support of 99% of the horde and wins the mak’gora but they make her throw it the last minute because «We kinda writed outselves into a corner, time for plan B»

Fuck even Game of Thrones Season 8 is a literary masterpiece compared to this
    Just saw the OP and I am horrified. There are ways to portray moral greyness in a conflict such as having the Alliance make a calculated opening strike because they fear the Horde is up to something nefarious with all that Azerite (which, given the Horde's history, they almost always are). Having Jaina genocide an allied race and utterly butcher her character utterly is not. There is nothing in any of Jaina's history that would suggest she would consider butchering an innocent race, much less her allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Praise the Loa for Classic, for all its flaws, at least the story makes sense. No, it isn't Tolkien level, nor it pretends to be, but it entertains me.
    Yeah. Haven't had the chance to play another race, but I can't help but appericiate Human Storyline so far. Elwynn is like a prologue, where you see how fucked Stormwind is thanks to Onyxia's manipulations + Nobility's laziness that they couldn't even hold Elwynn in check, Westfall/Redridge/Duskwood is act 1, in which we are trying to stop the many packs of wolves at the door, and in the end, buy some time for Stormwind Kingdom to breathe for now, by defeating Edwin Vancleef/Gath'Ilzogg/Morbent Fel, who were the biggest threats in the area at that moment. Haven't done the other zones yet, but I am impressed so far.

It wasn't anything special, but it was consistent.
    Last edited by Dark Succ; 2019-12-22 at 09:47 PM.
    "You stand at a dangerous crossroads. You can either stay here and be slaughtered by human hands... Or choose a darker path... To freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Cybelda View Post
    Just saw the OP and I am horrified. There are ways to portray moral greyness in a conflict such as having the Alliance make a calculated opening strike because they fear the Horde is up to something nefarious with all that Azerite (which, given the Horde's history, they almost always are). Having Jaina genocide an allied race and utterly butcher her character utterly is not. There is nothing in any of Jaina's history that would suggest she would consider butchering an innocent race, much less her allies.
    I know right? It may be predictable but coming up with insane ideas doesn't make them good just because they're unpredictable. Imagine Anduin Wrynn starting a faction war.

The closest thing to a decent "alliance starts the war" scenario still relied on Genn being handed complete High King power, against all reason and ignoring everything from Legion.

When I think of things that could've been done better this expansion, it's mostly missed opportunities, previously established rivalries and the like that didn't make the cut for screen time. Most tragically, the Alliance mostly piggybacking on the Horde-focused story when they lined up a perfect opportunity for similar inter-Alliance conflict with the worgen/nelves butting heads with Stormwind. Imagine poor Jaina being caught in the middle of that, knowing Kul'tiras would overwhelmingly support the aggressive subfaction due to Daelin but sympathizing with Anduin's ideals for peace. That could've been the Alliance's Sadorc Saga and we totally missed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Black Man of Steal View Post
    The Horde is as evil as Horde players want them to be. Play Alliance if you wanna be good.
    FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE ALLIANCE ARE EVIL!

My Tauren and Orc toons are Nice Guys. My Belf DK though...he’s downright evil.
    Don’t ask me to explain my idiocy; I’m in my early 40’s and still don’t understand it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I know right? It may be predictable but coming up with insane ideas doesn't make them good just because they're unpredictable. Imagine Anduin Wrynn starting a faction war.

The closest thing to a decent "alliance starts the war" scenario still relied on Genn being handed complete High King power, against all reason and ignoring everything from Legion.

When I think of things that could've been done better this expansion, it's mostly missed opportunities, previously established rivalries and the like that didn't make the cut for screen time. Most tragically, the Alliance mostly piggybacking on the Horde-focused story when they lined up a perfect opportunity for similar inter-Alliance conflict with the worgen/nelves butting heads with Stormwind. Imagine poor Jaina being caught in the middle of that, knowing Kul'tiras would overwhelmingly support the aggressive subfaction due to Daelin but sympathizing with Anduin's ideals for peace. That could've been the Alliance's Sadorc Saga and we totally missed out.
    I think you are misunderstanding my suggestion- I did not say that Anduin Wrynn starts a war, I am suggesting that the Alliance does. The Alliance is not (or should not) be a proxy of Stormwind, but independent nations like the NATO Comparison its meant to invoke. IMO we should see more independent actions like GEnn in Stromheim.

Much of the rest of your post I agree with
    Last edited by Cybelda; 2019-12-22 at 10:07 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybelda View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding my suggestion- I did not say that Anduin Wrynn starts a war, I am suggesting that the Alliance does. The Alliance is not (or should not) be a proxy of Stormwind, but independent nations like the NATO Comparison its meant to invoke. IMO we should see more independent actions like GEnn in Stromheim.

Much of the rest of your post I agree with

The issue is that most ally players equate "Alliance" with "Stormwind" - not that I blame them, there is a good reason for that. Since at least MoP, the Alliance has been written as a proxy of Stormwind, which in turn is as monolithic as it can be. And that makes for some quite bad storytelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I was never going to be hyped for another faction war story but I wish they had at least gone in a different direction than MOP 2.0 with it. The way it is now, BFA feels more like a setup for Shadowlands getting Sylvanas into position than its own story.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    I was never going to be hyped for another faction war story but I wish they had at least gone in a different direction than MOP 2.0 with it. The way it is now, BFA feels more like a setup for Shadowlands getting Sylvanas into position than its own story.
    Tbh I often have the feeling that Blizzard tried to write BfA as a "bigger and better" MoP, but failed spectacularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    And of course, those defending it only have personal attacks against those criticizing it.
    After having played through the storyline on both sides up to this point, I enjoy the story from this expansion very much. Because I got the whole picture of what's going on, it makes more sense and is actually pretty cool to see where things have gone as time wears on.

But, I suppose if I'm going to make your blanket statement true, I should call you something derogative...

Christie golden gets to influence the story. What did you expect? She'd a midlife crisis on legs.

Then they realised that their writers couldnt fucking write a morally grey story so they give the alliance straight up Purge squads to kill the Vulpera. Totally not out of character
    How is that not morally grey?

The Horde is facing a difficult decision between the morally good choice of letting the Alliance purge those furries/purging them themselves and the morally wrong choice of letting them live or even join up because they have proven to be useful and might prove useful in the future/

The issue is that most ally players equate "Alliance" with "Stormwind" - not that I blame them, there is a good reason for that. Since at least MoP, the Alliance has been written as a proxy of Stormwind, which in turn is as monolithic as it can be. And that makes for some quite bad storytelling.
    I agree with this, but the entire problem with Warcraft's story is its framing around what is essentially barbarians vs civilization.

It's the reason the horde must be the aggressors, and the people that (wrongly) want to stick to the horde's barbarian ways are shackling the story to that fact. The horde are barbarians. Blizzard have tried to civilize them so they can take the story somewhere, but people seem to lose their minds when the inevitable starts to happen, so we're stuck with a cycle of stupidity.

1. Blizzard wants to write the horde more civil.
    2. Someone shouts lok'tar ogar.
    3. Horde turn out to be(led by) movie villains.
    4. Go to 1

Tbh I often have the feeling that Blizzard tried to write BfA as a "bigger and better" MoP, but failed spectacularly.
    If I remember right, somewhere they said they wanted to do it again because they feel the horde didn't really get introspective or learn anything from it? But even if we accept that it didn't need to be beat for beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicon View Post
    What was nice about Vanilla, was that you made your own story.
    Something Blizzard has never been able to recapture. We're always set on a linear narrative from start to finish in the new expansions and it gets old. A linear story doesn't work well in a game with no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    If I remember right, somewhere they said they wanted to do it again because they feel the horde didn't really get introspective or learn anything from it? But even if we accept that it didn't need to be beat for beat.
    Yeah, BFA's story was explicitly made so that the hacks on the writing staff could try doing Mists again. Danuser mentioned it in a Q&A and we know that the writing team had extreme latitude to do whatever and spend insane amounts of money on shit like cinematics, barreling towards a conclusion (faction unification) that wasn't on the cards, per Ion saying that the factions are fundamental systems that aren't going anywhere.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-12-24 at 06:06 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    We could have had Jaina burning it down to frame the horde...

That would have been so absurdly out of character for her that it would have been infinitely worse than what we got.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Horde character and as someone who really likes the Sylvanas Character, i don't like the story, my main problem, is that it was written as it were a book, but this is not a book, its an MMORPG, it doesn't work the same, the whole story around Sylvanas should have been hinted and explained at the beginning, that would have created true division between the Horde, making people actually agree with Sylvanas plan and not go around with this WHOLE MISTERY that ended up being the most obvious choice, that many though was not going to happen just because how obvious and MEH it would be, but still...

The Jaina story, i don't know much, i read it, but i did not played it, so... for me its was really nice and a good character development, the main problem is that i feel that the whole "Crossroad" cinematic, is just going to end as a mere ribbon moment and won't do much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Yeah, BFA's story was explicitly made so that the hacks on the writing staff could try doing Mists again. Danuser mentioned it in a Q&A and we know that the writing team had extreme latitude to do whatever and spend insane amounts of money on shit like cinematics, barreling towards a conclusion (faction unification) that wasn't on the cards, per Ion saying that the factions are fundamental systems that aren't going anywhere.
    Wow thanks, that was a great piece of info

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Yeah, I also think the story is a bit awkward sometimes, but then I look at the suggestions at the toxic-champions and I'm happy again it went the way it is.

The wishes for fanservices and bloodthirsty edgelords that say sylvanas is the right way with a straight face is just to cringy.

" I think supporting a mass murderer who laughs at me for supporting him is the right way. Everyone who thinks else can't be right in their mind "
    This is like people in here sound and they aren't even aware of it.
    Too true. On one hand we have all that Male Human Paladin crowd, on another we have Edgelords Von Cucks crowd. As a result we have a shitshow. And night elf fans caught in the middle of it all. Well also Sylvanas being Kerrigan 2.0 is a given and she reminds me of Rey (if she was a Dark Side character) but even more poisonous to the franchise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Also i dont understand what they want of us. Aka Alliance and night elfs. On one hand they push that Anduinized and sloppy “peace and forgiveness” narrative on another they keep trolling us with “lol Teldrassil burned” posts on Twitter and acting like they did something hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Also i dont understand what they want of us. Aka Alliance and night elfs. On one hand they push that Anduinized and sloppy “peace and forgiveness” narrative on another they keep trolling us with “lol Teldrassil burned” posts on Twitter and acting like they did something hilarious.
    Here's a shameless plug to my post where I explain the likely intent behind BFA vis a vis it being a revision of Mists fixing what the writers thought was wrong with it. It's from a year ago but ended up being prescient because of how incredible predictable the story was. Tl;dr though is that while the writers had major issues with the Horde being a heterogeneous entity in Mists, and thus having every individual race have its own grounds for rebellion along with remaining heterogenous at the end since they only really decided one of the things they wouldn't be, namely orcish. But they had no issue with the Alliance as it was in Mists, Jaina aside. On the contrary, the Alliance was exactly where they wanted it to be - bland, safe, Anduinized in all but being led by the author's mouthpiece himself. Their only purpose in this one is to be a foil to the Horde, since Blizz is already done making them what they think they're supposed to be.

There's also BFA wanting to revert everything to WC3 factory settings, but only in the broadest strokes - the idea of everyone being buddies against a big bad, disregardign the circumstances that made it work, and the third biggest participant, that being the night elves. It shares in the imagery of WC3, but it fails because none of the conditions are there and the participants don't make sense in those role - blood elves talking about how they always looked up to a Warchief, Jaina and THrall talking about teaming up at Nordrassil without mentioning night elves while said night elves get to eat a fat one, etc.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-12-25 at 01:20 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.