Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever disliked someone for liking someone you don't like?

Now I am not talking about cancel culture or anything like that or really anyone being offended per say. Well not specifically. But have you ever known someone who disliked people for liking someone else.

What I am talking about goes well before social media, for example, some people Hate Pop music, or specific Pop Artist.

So my question is have you ever known someone who has hated other people because of who they liked?

I know I have.

as a follow up...

Have you ever liked or disliked someone based on who they like?

Yep, I for sure have

Although I think when it comes to some things it's pretty alright to hate or dislike someone for liking someone really terrible like Hitler or something. But short of that, I am not a fan of say of Hootie and the Blowfish, but I can't imagine hating or even disliking someone because of their bad taste in movies, television or anything else.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I have terrible taste in movies, videogames , tvshows and books. Hard to hate someone for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. And I think the majority of humanity through out the entirety of history has as well.

Isn't that the basics 101 of US politics?
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Isn't that the basics 101 of US politics?
    I don't mean politics, I mean like people hate that others enjoys certain musical artist even when it isn't political. At least with politics it's a little understandable, but what's wrong with people liking music even if someone else things it's terrible. Same with movies or anything else if it isn't harming anyone

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    So my question is have you ever known someone who has hated other people because of who they liked?
    Yes, I think many people know at least one person like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Hmm....yes and no? I will avoid people who like certain things, but I don't dislike them personally. Generally when I dislike someone, it's due to their beliefs and actions, not just association.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    I've definitely walked further away from someone when I saw them wearing a burzum shirt

10+ Year Old Account
    I did unfollow someone I had liked because he didnt object to one of his friends saying Pol pot had the right idea when it came to intellectuals. Hit close to home because I had known someone who had sought refuge in the US because of the purges.

-_-

I dont talk to my father anymore because hes a lunatic trump supporter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Yes, I think many people know at least one person like that.

Hmm....yes and no? I will avoid people who like certain things, but I don't dislike them personally. Generally when I dislike someone, it's due to their beliefs and actions, not just association.
    I almost agree with that last part. Associations I disagree, some obviously aren't so serious. But for example a sports team, when one member does something disgraceful I believe it does reflect poorly on the entire team.

That said actions are the most important for the individual and with exception to of some extreme situations I can't see disliking someone simply because I dislike their taste in music. Or they enjoy something from an artist or entertainer i don't

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    I've definitely walked further away from someone when I saw them wearing a burzum shirt
    Yeah, had to google that to see what you meant, but yeah something like that makes sense, I was thinking more along lines of disliking someone only for the fact they like something like terrible music in the artistic sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I did unfollow someone I had liked because he didnt object to one of his friends saying Pol pot had the right idea when it came to intellectuals. Hit close to home because I had known someone who had sought refuge in the US because of the purges.

-_-
    Yeah that would for sure fall under that more than a difference of opinion on what flavor ice cream someone likes. When it comes down to values, I don't think it's as simple as say not liking someone because they listen to Britney Spears or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    Yes, they were making excuses for and defending someone who participate in gang rape.
    Again that I think has to do with someones core values and I think is reasonable and understandable of anyone. However would you stop liking someone because they liked a Bjork song you didn't like or even simply Bjork because they don't like her music.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I dont talk to my father anymore because hes a lunatic trump supporter
    Yeah again, I think that comes down to a values thing, meaning deep and meaningful divides rather than say unfriending someone because they like Boy Bands.

10+ Year Old Account

Me personally, no. I am not much into guilty by association and none of my friends are really. I got one friend who has some really conservative friends but I don't hate him for that because he isn't that way.

As for liking someone because of the friends they have? Well if they have good company I'll mingle but I wouldn't like my friend anymore because he has good taste in people. I tend to have horrible social anxiety anyway lol. I got to know many people through my friends friends, thats how I met my girlfriend lol

Have you ever known someone who has hated other people because of who they liked?

When I was at college someone stopped being friends with her friend because she was dating a boy she didn't like... But even they made up and compromised in the end.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-10-05 at 10:06 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I've been hesitant to interact the with friends of a person I don't like. If we're talking about someone who is already my friend then I try to deal with it. There was a guy in our friend group in high school who I hated, but the rest of the group liked him so I just dealt with it and didn't talk to him much. I've never experienced any extreme cases where the person I don't like is violent or something else.

And yes, in middle school I knew a kid who was really clique-y and always tried to start drama over other's friends.

Thinking about it, I haven't had this issue a single time since graduating high school.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No I haven't. I can only think of a few instances where it would be a problem. Like if they liked doing something illegal which could result in a felon charge. I avoid people like that.

I would never dislike someone because of politics or religion or lack of. Unless they where into Satan worshiping, witch craft etc. Even then, I would not dislike them so much as I would what they are doing. It is important to separate the two.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-10-06 at 03:16 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

It really depends. I don't think I've ever found a "Oh, I hate that person I liked because I found out they like this one thing", but what people like is a part of who they are, and it's natural to change your opinion in part of what they like and dislike.

3+ Year Old Account
    The enemy of my enemy is something i do not care about.

A friend who has friends who were/are asses towards me? Has never happened, because any of those hypothetical "friends" as the link, have also been the same asses towards me. I don't really see much of a chance of ever being in that situation.

Everyone does that, come on now.
    Anyone saying otherwise is a big fat liar! (like this guy below me)
    Last edited by Sylvandoh; 2019-10-08 at 05:21 PM.

Nope, I find that rather childish. Kind of like not liking someone because of what political party they belong too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have I ever disliked someone for them liking someone who I don't like? People wise? No

Music, movies, books, games wise sure?

Who hasn't disliked another person for liking Justin Bieber?

I would say I probably have known people to do that. Plenty of relationship dramas in teenage years is revolved around that.

I can't say I have ever disliked someone for who they like though. Find it narrowminded to do so. I haven't done it by choice at least. I can't deny that it affects my interpretation of their character, I just don't think it has affected it so much I dislike them for it.