Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How far can you tank in dps spec & weapons?

I'm tanking in fury spec with dual swords, I don't even use defensive stance or a shield, I managed to do a WC easily like this, it's faster and I don't think that tanking properly makes any difference, I barely tank tbh, I just dps. How far can I go like this? shall I try sfk or bfd like this?
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2019-10-06 at 02:05 AM.

I suppose it depends entirely on your healer/s I usually just tank dungeons with a mix of gear tanking and dps, I don't generally like making the game deliberately harder for ppl. perhaps if i get a nice epic 2H ill start doing more charge in, whirlwind, switch to sword/shield macro. but really the general need for this is small you're gunna save minutes on a run and potentially wipe due to chain pulling or some other shit. it probably won't generate much more threat. the issue i had for a while was that I'd farmed nearly every peice of gear i could get with defence and doing this makes you TOO good of a tank for dungeons, you'll never generate rage to hold aggro, so you have to mix it.

on onyxia we used a warrior with a 2h because.. well I simply could not regain aggro after ppl nuked the shit out of her in p2. in a 40 man, you could keep a fury/2h tank alive but really you're relying on them not being crit twice because that will likely kill them. they are gunna get smashed tanking like that.

early game, again its all your healer, if you are taking too much damage you'll know because either you'll die befor the heals land or the healer will go oom before the mobs die. I suppose there is a balance where you take enough damage to hold aggro but not too much so you're not making your healer oom on each pull.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-10-06 at 02:15 AM.

SFK or BFD can be tanked by a Mage if you really want. So go nuts. As long as you can hold threat and your healer isn't running OOM you're fine. Just pay attention to your healer. A Priest will likely be perfectly fine. A Paladin will probably struggle more. You can probably tank up to SM like this without any real issue.

You can tank any 5 man without going prot. Just pop on a shield if things get hairy.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

You can tank as fury prot from the start of the game til the end of the game (sitting in defensive stance though) Clearing MC & Ony weekly playing fury prot MT without a problem at all. and if your feeling spicy you can always swap to Bers stance and use reck + Death wish to spam executes on the bosses that dont hit hard, Theres 2 bosses i use shield for Sulfuron when he enrages, Domo cause im just boss tanking so my dmg doesnt matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did RFK with 3 hunters and two 2h Enhance shammies yesterday and went off without a hitch.

The issue isnt damage taken it is threat. If you arent going into defensive stance your threat generation is not going to cut it as you climb though the dungeons. But dw tanking is definitely a viable option as long as you are still tanking properly. sunders. revenge. and you will be generating a buttload of rage to even have heroic strikes in there. go watch skarms video on fury tanking and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    The issue isnt damage taken it is threat. If you arent going into defensive stance your threat generation is not going to cut it as you climb though the dungeons. But dw tanking is definitely a viable option as long as you are still tanking properly. sunders. revenge. and you will be generating a buttload of rage to even have heroic strikes in there. go watch skarms video on fury tanking and see.
    This. As a healer, the issue I run into is when aggro is all over the place and two or three DPS are all getting pounded on. We don’t really have an “oh shit” button that can catch us back up that isn’t going to crush our mana. If you can hold threat, you should be fine at least through SM. Beyond that, I’ve yet to heal anyone who isn’t a traditional tank.

Threat is an issue, this isn't retail where you can aoe most packs and throw a taunt occasionally, tbh I feel I hold threat better when I go all out as dps. If I could at least use thunderclap in defensive....It's terrible lacking an aoe.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2019-10-06 at 04:15 AM.

I healed an arms warrior wielding a staff through ST and we weren't particularly high level for it. He was smart about abilities and knew his class pretty well so that helped a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You can tank MC and Onyxia as fury

See: Asmongold doing it weekly now
    Some asshat streamer getting carried through content by his mouthbreathing fans isn't really indicative of any kind of norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

The spec barely matters until Drakkisath and Rattlegore.

But not putting on a shield...that can be pushing it, especially if you’re several levels below a mob.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Do you mean until what dungeon or raid?

Fury spec outclasses Prot because threat is more of an issue than survivability in all dungeons (though you will need to use a shield eventually). If you are low geared, LBRS and UBRS might require prot.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Some asshat streamer getting carried through content by his mouthbreathing fans isn't really indicative of any kind of norm.
    Imagine being this jealous concerning a fucking WoW streamer lol.

You can tank pretty much up to LBRS without being prot. But do need shield.
    And I will say up til sunken temple, is where it kind of needed to to use a shield, but before that, i healed tanks in with 2H or duel wiedling.

Broodlord is the first boss where you want to be as tough as you can be, until then it just gives healers something to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Imagine being this jealous concerning a fucking WoW streamer lol.
    Try not to confuse jealously with disdain.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

basically the first thing that might be a problem to oyu if you're not prot is UBRS drakkisath. but even that's doable if you have decent tank gear.

I tanked every dungeon up to 60 as arms (Emperor was really spooky at 55). I went fury/prot with shield at 60 but hated it because no Tactical Mastery, so now I'm fury/arms and it's working for every dungeon including UBRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Threat is an issue, this isn't retail where you can aoe most packs and throw a taunt occasionally, tbh I feel I hold threat better when I go all out as dps. If I could at least use thunderclap in defensive....It's terrible lacking an aoe.
    Prot has threat talents that you can't overlook. Technically, you can tank fury through endgame IF you want healers that hate you and your life to be difficult, but prot at 50+ is ideal.

A prot warrior will always outperform a fury warrior pound for pound in a tank position. Hell, i can even generate more rage and aggro as prot than fury... a GOOD prot warrior will outperform a GOOD fury warrior.