Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Source for this? Because otherwise the purpose of DEMON Hunters has always been the fight against and destruction of The Burning Legion. That was Illidan's goal, and therefore the Illidari's goal. Their goal NOW may be the defense of Azeroth but that's simply what it morphed into once the Legion was taken care of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    This is wrong.. What? In the book and on every online source in regards to the Illidari. They were created to combat the burning legion. Yes, the overall goal was the safety of Azeroth. But this is never explicitly said. Can't assume a written characters inner thoughts.
    In the Harbringers - Illidan cinematic, the difference between DHs and demons is being discussed. It is said there that while demons will stop at nothing to destroy Azeroth, DHs will sacrifice everything to save it. Not just from the Legion as it would be stupid. I mean, why save the world from one threat only to let it be destroyed by another?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    off-topic, but sauce? Not because I don't believe you, but because it sounds interesting and somehow I managed to miss that. What kind of torment, and why?
    My statement was mostly based on the "The Power to Destroy" quest that Aucald mentioned, but he got things mixed up a bit. The shadowy tormentors were not being sent by the Lich King, he actually kept them at bay. Now though since DKs are no longer under his protection, these shadows are free to torment them. Think of how powerful the shadows must be, being able to reach DKs in the realm of the living, and what they can potentially do to defenseless DK souls entering their own domain. We get a glimpse of it in the Sylvanas short story. Arthas himself was reduced to a terrified child, and regular DKs won't have it any better. As for "why", I'm not sure I remember it correctly but it's likely because of all the atrocities they committed.

What's the source for all of this?
    Others have already covered this, but take a look at this section of the Wowpedia article on Death Knights: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Death_knig...th_as_a_knight. It has sources.
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2019-10-07 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagrash View Post
    I've been wondering that since Maiev freed us really.. the entire concept of PvP is ridiculous when it comes to fighting other DHs and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

When Legion ended and the faction war began it got even worse but we just have to accept it for gameplay reasons.

Lore/RP-wise I really didn't have a good time leveling my DH in BFA since all quests just felt like "...really?! I sacrificed everything to do THIS!?" But oh well
    The fation conflict doesnt make sense for any class after class halls. Thats why the whole theme sucks and why people hate it. Its a forced shit and the whole expansion serves only as a plot device to further Sylvanas story, wherever it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    off-topic, but sauce? Not because I don't believe you, but because it sounds interesting and somehow I managed to miss that. What kind of torment, and why?
    Undead go to the same place as Arthas and Sylvanas.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    What happens after death for both Undead or Death Knights is unknown.
    Well, we know that Sylvanas and Arthas were cast into the Shadowlands to be tormented there for all eternity. It didn't matter that they both were sort of victims (Sylvie forcibly raised, Arthas tricked into submitting his soul to Frostmourne). All that mattered was their twisted state upon death. I don't think that regular Forsaken and DKs are treated any differently.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    The bigger question is what happened to the lightforged's power after Naaru was killed. Turalyons eyes turned back to normal. Does that mean he is no longer immortal? Shouldn't he just die right on the spot since humans aren't supposed to live for hundreds of years? Is their spaceship worthless without the naaru to power it?
    Unless naaru's spell was not to resurrect a corpse but to stop time. Then, he would just have 50 years left.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

protect Illidans waifu Tyrande

Now they wait until Sargeras is not so jailed anymore, or until some other lord takes over the demon armies. Just like the DK are on hold for a new scourge to take over and so on.

My thought is they had to join the faction according to their race to keep from being further persecuted, its bad enough knowing that a death knight more than likely had a part in killing someones loved one, it would be far worse if you seen blood elves, trolls, and tauren death knights walking around because not only would you have that hate for what they did you would be worried they would turn on you for their own faction.

As loyalty goes though i believe they are loyal to azeroth and not a petty war between the 2 factions, there may still be demons roaming around trying to plant themselves in power incase sergeras ever makes a return, and the knights will be ready if bolvar turns against us.

there are still demons out there.

Their hunt is eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    In the Harbringers - Illidan cinematic, the difference between DHs and demons is being discussed. It is said there that while demons will stop at nothing to destroy Azeroth, DHs will sacrifice everything to save it. Not just from the Legion as it would be stupid. I mean, why save the world from one threat only to let it be destroyed by another?
    ....from the Burning Legion. One of their hallmarks, to sacrifice their eyes and also undergo the partial demonic transformation, is so they can detect the magic signature of demons and use that power to fight against them. I understand that they're now turning their power to fight other threats, but their original purpose was to fight the Burning Legion.

Saying that they're primary mission was always to protect Azeroth is just not accurate.

Others have already covered this, but take a look at this section of the Wowpedia article on Death Knights: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Death_knig...th_as_a_knight. It has sources.
    Never said there weren't, just wanted to know what they were.

....from the Burning Legion.
    Again, the Legion was just the most immediate and serious threat in their eyes. Their original puprose was not to simply fight the Burning Legion, but to save the world by doing it. They fought it not out of vengeance or retribution or hatred, but to remove a threat to their world and keep it safe. Keeping Azeroth safe was their core motive, and everything they did was just a means to an end.
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2019-10-08 at 02:41 AM.

Again, the Legion was just the most immediate and serious threat in their eyes. Their original puprose was not to simply fight the Burning Legion, but to save the world by doing it. They fought it not out of vengeance or retribution or hatred, but to remove a threat to their world and keep it safe. Keeping Azeroth safe was their core motive, and everything they did was just a means to an end.
    Nothing I’ve seen or read in any of the existing WoW lore says this. Keeping Azeroth safe was an obvious bonus, but it was never their primary goal. Aside from that one line in the cinematic, is there anything else that support the idea that their primary purpose was to protect Azeroth?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do the Death Knight still suffer from this even after breaking free from the Lich King's control? That's the main question really, just because they had it in the beginning, doesn't mean that after their emancipation from the Lich King at Light's hope chapel that those addictions or maldaies still affect them...at least to the same degree.
    wowpedia says they do. even so much so that worgens have their feral spirit broken in favor of the lich kings will. i guess its not something that was covered given that the expac for them went away, which is the same thing for demon hunters i guess. their expac is over so they are kinda just...there. cuz part of a demon hunters "i have given everything what have you given?" is that on the defeat of the burning legion they themselves would be sacrificed too cuz demons and all, I cant remember where that part was eluded to but i do recall something of it somewhere, grain of salt and all that.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Nothing I’ve seen or read in any of the existing WoW lore says this. Keeping Azeroth safe was an obvious bonus, but it was never their primary goal. Aside from that one line in the cinematic, is there anything else that support the idea that their primary purpose was to protect Azeroth?
    I think it's stated both in the Illidan's novel and the Chronicle part III - their sole purpose was to defeat the Burning Legion. The reason they sacrificed their previous lives was to avenge their families, not to become the ultimate protectors of Azeroth.
    If somebody is watching the Walking Dead series, the Alliance reminds me of the Rick and the survivors and the Horde reminds me of the Negan and the saviors in season 7 - The Horde comes into your base, takes whatever it wants and,eventually, Alliance is ending up saying "thank you for that".

Aside from that one line in the cinematic, is there anything else that support the idea that their primary purpose was to protect Azeroth?
    I'll have to do some digging to answer this question, but why isn't that one line enough? The Harbingers series is official lore.

I'll have to do some digging to answer this question, but why isn't that one line enough? The Harbingers series is official lore.
    Because that one line doesn't say that their primary purpose is to save Azeroth. That line's purpose is to help the Demon Hunters having difficulty coping with their transformation and methods used to destroy the Burning Legion understand the difference between a Demon and a Demon hunter. It's not some mission statement from Illidan saying his whole reason for becoming a Demon Hunter and recruiting/ creating more Demon hunters is to save Azeroth.

Every other bit of lore I've ever read, primarily the Illidan novel and the rest of the dialogue and information within WoW itself, says that the reason the Demon Hunters were created was to destroy the Burning Legion.

Much like the Knights of the Ebon Blade, attempting to value your brothers and sisters over the faction might not end well for you.

Also we're all murder hobos and demon slaying doesn't pay the bills when the islands are full of dinosaurs and pirates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.