Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    The demon hunters after the defeat of the Burning Legion

    The demon hunters as a class have been demanded in WoW for a long time. There were many people who supported their addition to the game and many who were against - the main reason, that their abilities would copy the ones of the warlock. Long story short, eventually they were added and I will dare to say,that they are one of the most popular classes in WoW at the moment.

    Their addition during the Legion fit the expansion theme perfectly. The sole purpose of their creation was the retribution against the Burning Legion. With Sargeras's imprisonment and Illidan staying behind as his jailor, it would seem, that the Illidari have fulfilled their purpose. The Burning Legion is defeated, their main goal - reached. So,what do they do now? For the game purposes,of course they go and join their factions and wage a war, I find difficult they would be even interested to wage.

    The Illidari, quite similary to the Knight of the Ebon Blade, are not just representatives of the same class put in the same class hall to reach a common goal. They were like brothers and sisters, they fought side by side the greatest evil they knew. And,suddenly, with Legion's defeat now they start to care about the Horde and the Alliance war? Why would they even care about these factions? Why would they take part in the war,if they are still are being looked at with a suspicion and disgust, while the warlocks and shadow priests have always been a part of both factions and allowed amongst their ranks? Only because they have lost purpose and they had nothing better to do? Because,they suddenly care about the red or blue colour in the foreign faction banner in the name of which they are ready to kill their former allies?

    Have the night elf demon hunters been "forgiven" by Tyrande and Malfurion and accepted as equals amongst the ranks of kaldorei? Are the blood elf demon hunters viewed as equals and allowed to even glance at the Sunwell? Makes you wonder why would they care to fight for people,who see them as abominations and misfits amongst their societies.
    Last edited by Felixon; 2019-10-07 at 10:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    4,395
    The same happened with DKs at the end of WotLK - and they haven't made sense ever after, with the possible exception of Legion.
    "The heart of the Horde" = Alliance-approved Horde

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    The sole purpose of their creation was the retribution against the Burning Legion.
    This is where you're wrong. The purpose of DHs has always been protection of Azeroth, they focused their efforts solely on the Legion because it seemed to be the most serious threat. Now we have the Old Gods and the Void itself on our hands so they still have a purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    And,suddenly, with Legion's defeat now they start to care about the Horde and the Alliance war? Why would they even care about these factions? Why would they take part in the war
    They don't. The fact that the player character does one-size-fits-all content doesn't mean that storywise DHs are engaged in the faction conflict. The only DH NPC we see in BFA is only there to hunt down a random demon and that's it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    The same happened with DKs at the end of WotLK - and they haven't made sense ever after, with the possible exception of Legion.
    DKs are a special case. They can't just die because of the torment that awaits them on the other side. They are tormented in the world of the living as is and it will only get worse if they die. Also, due to their nature DKs HAVE to kill something on a regular basis or they start to experience ever encreasing pain and eventually go insane. And is there a better way to justifiably murder people than to take part in a conflict, any conflict?
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2019-10-07 at 02:05 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    This is where you're wrong. The purpose of DHs has always been protection of Azeroth, they focused their efforts solely on the Legion because it seemed to be the most serious threat. Now we have the Old Gods and the Void itself on our hands so they still have a purpose.
    Source for this? Because otherwise the purpose of DEMON Hunters has always been the fight against and destruction of The Burning Legion. That was Illidan's goal, and therefore the Illidari's goal. Their goal NOW may be the defense of Azeroth but that's simply what it morphed into once the Legion was taken care of.

    They don't. The fact that the player character does the one-size-fits-all content doesn't mean that storywise DHs are engaged in the faction conflict. The only DH NPC we see in BFA is only there to hunt down a random demon and that's it.
    That's fair, I guess.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    This is where you're wrong. The purpose of DHs has always been protection of Azeroth, they focused their efforts solely on the Legion because it seemed to be the most serious threat. Now we have the Old Gods and the Void itself on our hands so they still have a purpose.



    They don't. The fact that the player character does one-size-fits-all content doesn't mean that storywise DHs are engaged in the faction conflict. The only DH NPC we see in BFA is only there to hunt down a random demon and that's it.



    DKs are a special case. They can't just die because of the torment that awaits them on the other side. They are tormented in the world of the living as is and it will only get worse if they die. Also, due to their nature DKs HAVE to kill something on a regular basis or they start to experience ever encreasing pain and eventually go insane. And is there a better way to justifiably murder people than to take part in a conflict, any conflict?

    off-topic, but sauce? Not because I don't believe you, but because it sounds interesting and somehow I managed to miss that. What kind of torment, and why?

  6. #6
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    22,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    off-topic, but sauce? Not because I don't believe you, but because it sounds interesting and somehow I managed to miss that. What kind of torment, and why?
    Likely based off the Koltira Deathweaver quests in Dragonblight, e.g. The Power to Destroy, where Koltira is being assaulted by beings called Shadowy Tormentors sent by the Lich King himself to mess with the Knights of the Ebon Blade for having betrayed him. It's not known if this is still a thing, though; given that Arthas was defeated and its not known if Bolvar renewed this (it seems doubtful based on his interactions with the Death Knights in Legion).
    "I remember what I told you, but I can't remember why. The moon is turning red and bleeding through the sky. Absolution, redemption, salvation at the end - when justice is served don't expect me to attend." - Trust Obey, "Raymond Chandler Evening"

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    This is where you're wrong. The purpose of DHs has always been protection of Azeroth, they focused their efforts solely on the Legion because it seemed to be the most serious threat. Now we have the Old Gods and the Void itself on our hands so they still have a purpose.

    This is wrong.. What? In the book and on every online source in regards to the Illidari. They were created to combat the burning legion. Yes, the overall goal was the safety of Azeroth. But this is never explicitly said. Can't assume a written characters inner thoughts.
    Last edited by Potatowizard; 2019-10-07 at 02:45 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    DKs are a special case. They can't just die because of the torment that awaits them on the other side. They are tormented in the world of the living as is and it will only get worse if they die. Also, due to their nature DKs HAVE to kill something on a regular basis or they start to experience ever encreasing pain and eventually go insane. And is there a better way to justifiably murder people than to take part in a conflict, any conflict?
    What's the source for all of this?

  9. #9
    Over 9000! Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    9,285
    Even if the DH were created to combat the Legion they will not simple commit suicide, they would still combat the threads they think its vallid, if they are aligned with a faction they will fight for her.

    Even back then in warcraft 3 the NE demon hunters would fight for the night elves against humans/orcs if you create then

    You as the DH and the player, do what you want, and with the recent events with how illidan "did everything to protect azeroth" cringe fest, you can do as well, since there is another threat.

  10. #10
    I feel the Illidari could could up the mantle of Wardens by the end of Legion. The Wardens are nearly wiped out... Illidan himself is a jailer. It would be a natural progression to hunt down and contain anything that could not be killed... destroy anything that can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    2,912
    I've been wondering that since Maiev freed us really.. the entire concept of PvP is ridiculous when it comes to fighting other DHs and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

    When Legion ended and the faction war began it got even worse but we just have to accept it for gameplay reasons.

    Lore/RP-wise I really didn't have a good time leveling my DH in BFA since all quests just felt like "...really?! I sacrificed everything to do THIS!?" But oh well

  12. #12
    Well illidan wanted to protect azeroth and at that time the biggest threat was the burning legion so he adapted to be very effective against the legion. So while the legion is gone the illidari still have their purpose, namely protecting azeroth no matter the cost. Its just they have a different nemesis, nzoth.

    True the illidari wanted revenge against the burning legion but the one that made them had a goal, which was protecting azeroth against all threats, then it was legion now it is nzoth.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    off-topic, but sauce? Not because I don't believe you, but because it sounds interesting and somehow I managed to miss that. What kind of torment, and why?
    Undead in Chronicles or Before the Storm books are talked about as being in constant pain and suffering while remaining in the world of the living. Undead priests are especially in pain as the can still wield the light. And doing so burns what remains of the undead body.

    With this, I would assume Death Knights are in a similar area.

    What happens after death for both Undead or Death Knights is unknown. The lore has been constantly changing. Old school Undead - Undead created from Arthas and then released from the Lich Kings grasp. When they die, they will all most likely be redeemed by the light? As their souls were taken and brought back to the living world against their will.

    Lore now states current Undead are those willing to come back and server under a master. Or something around those lines. Which that level of corruption is not redeemable.

    As stated in the Sylvanas short story, when she died. She went to "hell" which was just consciousness in pure blackness. Nothingness.

  14. #14
    Herald of the Titans Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,766
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    What's the source for all of this?
    and @Deathknightish

    All death knights are inflicted with an "addiction" of sorts; referred to as the "eternal hunger" by Highlord Darion Mograine and as the "endless hunger" by the dread Instructor Razuvious. A death knight will feel immeasurable pain and agony if it is not inflicting suffering and/or death on a regular basis. The pain is so great that failure to sate the hunger could result in the death knight becoming lost in a blood-seeking, murderous frenzy. After sating the hunger soon upon creation, a death knight is then instructed to duel other death knights in a ritual known as Death's Challenge, which was born from the Lich King's victory over Illidan Stormrage in the frozen wastes. The hunger even overrides magic dependency.

    its part of the starting quests in Achreus. I believe razzuvius gives it.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  15. #15
    it most definitely doesn't make sense for the illidari to care about the war that much.

    could maybe see some night elves being a little angry over the near-genocide of their people, but the illidari tend to be the types to set everything else aside for singular focus on protection of the world.

    i'd imagine if any are out in the world, they're probably out fighting void aberrations in key locations.
    https://imgur.com/FX4poT6

    steve danuser - waifu cringelord

  16. #16
    Elemental Lord HighlordJohnstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I live at a location, somewhere, ya know? :D
    Posts
    8,600
    1. They're still Demon Hunters. Demons still exist out in the cosmos.

    And 2. They're aiding the Alliance and Horde atm. That, or they're remaining neutral, doing their own thing.

  17. #17
    The bigger question is what happened to the lightforged's power after Naaru was killed. Turalyons eyes turned back to normal. Does that mean he is no longer immortal? Shouldn't he just die right on the spot since humans aren't supposed to live for hundreds of years? Is their spaceship worthless without the naaru to power it?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Talrath View Post
    Well illidan wanted to protect azeroth-
    Nope. He just wanted to be the best mage he could be. Then the Legion came and invaded. He found that the arcane, while strong, wasn't enough and after rejections by Tyrande, he needed to do something big to defeat the Legion, to be the hero and to win Tyrande's heart. That was his motivation. 'Saving Azeroth' has never been an explicit goal, and is like, 4th, under winning tyrande's love, being better than malfurion and defeating the Legion.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    - - - Updated - - -



    and @Deathknightish

    All death knights are inflicted with an "addiction" of sorts; referred to as the "eternal hunger" by Highlord Darion Mograine and as the "endless hunger" by the dread Instructor Razuvious. A death knight will feel immeasurable pain and agony if it is not inflicting suffering and/or death on a regular basis. The pain is so great that failure to sate the hunger could result in the death knight becoming lost in a blood-seeking, murderous frenzy. After sating the hunger soon upon creation, a death knight is then instructed to duel other death knights in a ritual known as Death's Challenge, which was born from the Lich King's victory over Illidan Stormrage in the frozen wastes. The hunger even overrides magic dependency.

    its part of the starting quests in Achreus. I believe razzuvius gives it.
    Do the Death Knight still suffer from this even after breaking free from the Lich King's control? That's the main question really, just because they had it in the beginning, doesn't mean that after their emancipation from the Lich King at Light's hope chapel that those addictions or maldaies still affect them...at least to the same degree.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    The bigger question is what happened to the lightforged's power after Naaru was killed. Turalyons eyes turned back to normal. Does that mean he is no longer immortal? Shouldn't he just die right on the spot since humans aren't supposed to live for hundreds of years? Is their spaceship worthless without the naaru to power it?
    I think their... Changes have more to do with the Light itself instead of X’era.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •