Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    What was Shenmue 3 supposed to "move forward" into? It's 3x larger then Shenmue 2 according to Yu, it certainly wouldn't have been that big had it been released in 2003 as it originally should have. It has more mini games, larger world, more unique NPCs(over 500) so it's not just the graphics.

Also your 2nd paragraph seems like a hot take from years old footage. Play the demo, or watch it if you can't. There is nothing wrong with the animation. There is nothing wrong with the voice acting(they actually have a director for that now, something they wouldn't of had in 2003) and the fighting system is deeper then it has ever been. Not only can you customize your fighting style in so many different ways the fighting system has amazing weight and animation to it. Characters block exactly where your blows will land.

The only thing stuck in 2003 is your hot takes my dude.
    I can't play the demo I watched the whole thing though and saw a few reviews and discussion videos on it, that's how I came to my current conclusions about the game. It seems to play, feel, sound and is animated like a game from a bygone era. While the graphics themselves are decent they are also dated by comparison with big budget modern titles.

I mean if you don't think the voice acting and recording is bad you should go A/B it with some newer games, the original Shenmue games are legendary for the bad voice acting and Shenmue 3 isn't much better.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Have there ever actually been any game developer phoenixes? Sure there are some that move to a different studio and still make good games but how many great game makers make a new studio and it becomes as good or better than the original?
    The creators of guild wars branched off from Blizzard WoW making their own studio. During GW2 development many og devs branched off to create undead labs and made the state of decay games. You don't always strike it big but if you have an original enough idea like GW did you can strike it big.

Funny enough a new company was just made from more og people branching off of ANet.. they don't have any more old devs I think. It will be interesting to see what they do, maybe a spiritual successor to GW cuz the sequel was dogshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I can't play the demo I watched the whole thing though and saw a few reviews and discussion videos on it, that's how I came to my current conclusions about the game. It seems to play, feel, sound and is animated like a game from a bygone era. While the graphics themselves are decent they are also dated by comparison with big budget modern titles.

I mean if you don't think the voice acting and recording is bad you should go A/B it with some newer games, the original Shenmue games are legendary for the bad voice acting and Shenmue 3 isn't much better.
    The voice acting is miles better. Both in JP and english as I understand both pretty well. I think you seem to be mistaking cheesey with bad, the voice acting is intentionally cheesey because it's mimicking kung ku movies of old. Shenmue 1 and 2 had bad voice acting because it was robotic with no direction, that is not the case here. It is cheesey on purpose but has clear direction and emotion in it, unlike the robotic garbage that was recorded 20 years ago for the original games.

The visuals, animation etc are better then a lot of games that have a higher budget then Shenmue 3 so sorry I don't get this take. They aren't top of the line AAA but that gets a no shit sherlock, cause it's not a AAA game. Look at something like Bloodstained that was made on a similar budget... Shenmue 3 is closer to AAA visuals then it is to looking as low budget as Bloodstained.

Also you admitted to not being able to play the demo then you proceed to tell me how the games "plays" and "feels"? lol ok... I shouldn't have to tell you this but you have no idea how it plays or feels until you play it. All you can say is what someone else told you(and almost everyone loves the gameplay in the demo so not sure where you heard that from). If anything I'd wager you're taking about some much earlier previews from the e3 build. Check out Huber who was skeptical on the combat for the e3 build for example, he loves it in the demo.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-10-08 at 03:49 AM.

Eh, it's asinine to compare this to Shenmue 3. 3 dudes who happened to be on the daggerfall dev team vs Yu Suzuki and his own chosen team of AM2.
    They are not '3 guys who happened to be there' they are the core team from Bethesda from 1986-1998, the lead designer, the lead programmer and the lead writer of Elder Scrolls.

One could say this is the 'old school Bethesda'

Quote Originally Posted by frogx View Post
    They are not '3 guys who happened to be there' they are the core team from Bethesda from 1986-1998, the lead designer, the lead programmer and the lead writer of Elder Scrolls.

One could say this is the 'old school Bethesda'
    Oh yea I'm sure just like that time "the core of rare" was gonna create some magical 3D adventure platformer...

And then we got Yookalaylee...

If your claim to fame is "I worked at company when X game was made" chances are you actually have no fame. Giant red flag on any "new development team" hype train.

Also spare me the titles of "lead X" there are literally multiple leads for every aspect of a game. You're trying to make it sound like the 3 dudes actually made ES2 by themselves when in fact they where a very small portion of the overall team and the majority of the new team they put together is not who they used to work with.

Comparing these randoms to Yu Suzuki who made literally dozens of beloved games and had most of his original team in place... lol.

Lastly I have to ask, who even has nolstagia for daggerfall or gives a crap? It was a procedural generated piece of garbage. ES earned it's fame with Morrowind, and rightfully so the IP was shit before it(and hilariously enough never innovated past it).
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-10-08 at 06:26 AM.

Oh yea I'm sure just like that time "the core of rare" was gonna create some magical 3D adventure platformer...

And then we got Yookalaylee...

If your claim to fame is "I worked at company when X game was made" chances are you actually have no fame. Giant red flag on any "new development team" hype train.

Comparing these randoms to Yu Suzuki who made literally dozens of beloved games and had most of his original team in place... lol.
    uhhh i'm not comparing them to anyone

If your claim to fame is "I worked at company when X game was made"
    They are the ones who came up with Elder Scrolls, if not for them, Elder Scrolls would not exist, so they know what they are doing with their new game.

who even has nolstagia for daggerfall or gives a crap?
    Plenty of people because a game like Daggerfall is not done today, it has a massive world with huge dungeons with deep RPG mechanics.

They are the ones who came up with Elder Scrolls, if not for them, Elder Scrolls would not exist, so they know what they are doing with their new game.
    Let's not pretend Elder Scrolls was some massive hit prior to Morrowind my dude. Like him or hate him Elder Scrolls is what is today because of Todd Howard.

Even then if Todd Howard left tomorrow and claimed his new team was building a game as a spiritual successor to Morrowind... he would just be as full of shit as these guys are.

- - - Updated - - -

Plenty of people because a game like Daggerfall is not done today, it has a massive world with huge dungeons with deep RPG mechanics.
    Daggerfall was trash dude. Did you actually play it? I doubt, because by modern standards, hell even by 90s standards it's a shit show. "Massive world" aka procedural generated squares that all mostly look the exact same with slight placement changes.

Let's not pretend Elder Scrolls was some massive hit prior to Morrowind my dude. Like him or hate him Elder Scrolls is what is today because of Todd Howard.

Even then if Todd Howard left tomorrow and claimed his new team was building a game as a spiritual successor to Morrowind... he would just be as full of shit as these guys are.

Sure there is post and pre Todd Howard Elder Scrolls, while it has gained on popularity, it has declined in what it was supposed to be originaly - a fantasy life simulator, that's why they are doing a new game, to have the original vision brought back.

I say it's all good, Todd Howard TES will have a competition.

I say it's all good, Todd Howard TES will have a competition.
    They already have it from actual real studios like Obsidian.

And even then... the sales don't even compare so... What do you honestly think some tiny indy dev team made up of dinosaur devs with no publisher backing is gonna do?

What do you honestly think some tiny indy dev team made up of dinosaur devs with no publisher backing is gonna do?
    Well, sure, they are like an indie team now, but they are industry veterans, they know what they want to do and they know how to do it + they have a investor.

For us gamers it's a good thing, if the game would be bad, then who cares?

Well, sure, they are like an indie team now, but they are industry veterans, they know what they want to do and they know how to do it + they have a investor.

For us gamers it's a good thing, if the game would be bad, then who cares?
    That's why Wildstar, made by Vanilla WoW devs, is still alive and kicking right?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    That's why Wildstar, made by Vanilla WoW devs, is still alive and kicking right?
    They are making a single player game and not a mmo though.

There probably won't even be multiplayer, just a good single player game.
    Last edited by frogx; 2019-10-08 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Have there ever actually been any game developer phoenixes? Sure there are some that move to a different studio and still make good games but how many great game makers make a new studio and it becomes as good or better than the original?
    Nope. The ex ones claim to recreate a game from the stone age of gaming by themselves, and the result is a low budget, low quality product that bombs because the hipsters who enjoyed the original game at its time have better things to do in the current day, and the new generation of gamers have standards that are above sea- level.

While I understand the scepticism, the previous games usualy involved one developer (Chris Roberts, Brian Fargo, Peter Molyneux) who had to hire bunch of new guys who had nothing to do with previous games, one old developer cannot create everything by himself.

While 3 developers is not a huge team, 3 guys can make a game alone as opposed to 1 guy. (and even then Notch created Minecraft alone or Tarn Adams is still working on Dwarf Fortress)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvXStPP7Y4

10+ Year Old Account
    Daggerfall was my first taste of TES. Looking back at it, the series has fallen FAR from the tree. It makes me wonder why companies are so afraid of making such massive worlds...if I remember correctly, Daggerfall has one of if not the biggest in-game map (barring something like Minecraft that just goes on forever). 62,000mi squared iirc. That's insane. And while yes, for the most part it was kinda empty, it could easily be filled with stuff now. There were also THOUSANDS of points of interest - villages, towns, dungeons, etc, that you could fast travel to. And the dungeons weren't the sad little hallways that we get in Oblivion or Skyrim.

To me it was a great proof of concept, but overall not the best actual gameplay. The combat was kind of bad, the story was one of those old 80s fantasy stories that...well, kinda doesn't make sense unless you spend hours reading the ingame lore, and various other arbitrary limitations and whatnot just made me think there was a lot of potential but bad execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    To me it was a great proof of concept, but overall not the best actual gameplay. The combat was kind of bad, the story was one of those old 80s fantasy stories that...well, kinda doesn't make sense unless you spend hours reading the ingame lore, and various other arbitrary limitations and whatnot just made me think there was a lot of potential but bad execution.
    It was 25 years ago, at that time there was nothing like it.

has anyone actualy TRIED playing Daggerfall recently? i mean i understand that some of it can be chalked off to these types of games and tech being in its infancy... but not all of it. in other words, I'm very skeptical that the game they are coming up with is going to be all that great. personaly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    Implying there's anything inherently wrong with DLCs.
    Are you saying there's nothing inherently wrong with DLCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Are you saying there's nothing inherently wrong with DLCs?
    There is nothing inherently wrong or right about DLC. It's all about how it's done.

DLC ranges from things like Witcher 3 which took months and months to make and could of been stand alone games sold for a combined $25 to shitty cosmetics that are implemented on day 1 and just an obvious cash grab. It's far too big of a range to try and put a label on it.

KoA:R would've been a great MMORPG if they hadn't gotten the rug pulled out from under then by the newly installed new jersey governor.
    can't believe my family used to own that shithole state before the revolutionary war.