Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Not everyone turned their back on the forsaken. Calia realized pretty much from the start of their existence there was some good undead.

Have you played a forsaken since vanilla? And when where you complaining about Sylvanas not being a true forsaken? Calia is sylvanas 2.0

A ton more then 3. And its funny how you are pro Sylvanas killing everyone who disagrees with her and now you are upset when a new leader who hasn't killed her dissenters (yet) shows up. Sylvanas was a sexy elf banshee who could convert her body to ghost form and yet I don't see people like you bitching how she wasn't a true forsaken. Calia is almost completely Sylvanas 2.0 who only happened to have most of the bad shit happened to her while alive instead of her undeath and yet you people are crying that she isn't a true forsaken when the forsaken have never been lead by a true forsaken. Fleeing from ghouls and shit isn't hard?
    Calia is not really Sylvanas 2.0. And I don't think you get the point that actual Forsaken Fans and Players have, when they are dissatisfied and angry at Calia randomly becoming the leader of the Forsaken.

First, Calia has a too recent Alliance Story. I mean, sure, Sylvanas was technically an Alliance Character too once, together with the Forsaken when they were alive. The difference is, this was back in WC3, when the factions didn't matter to begin with, because the narrative was more focussed on telling the stories of different races. In World of Warcraft History, Sylvanas and the Forsaken were always Horde alligned. Nowadays, they are an iconic, essential and traditional part of the Horde roster.

Second, your arguments make no sense. Sylvanas is deeply connected towards the origins of Forsaken Story. The original Forsaken were renegade undeads of the Scourge who broke themselves free and grouped together under Sylvanas to fight off the Scourge and the remnants of Humanity from Lordaeron. Sylvanas personally freed many Forsaken and Dark Rangers as well as Banshees were always a traditional iconic part of the Forsaken.

Third, Style. Calia just stylistically doesn't fit into the Forsaken. She has a clearly Alliance human style, as a light alligned Priest who has a rather bright color scheme. The style of the Forsaken was always defined by dark colors, horror or gothicesque architecture, skulls and blight. They are stylistically dark and, yeah, rather gothic and horror-inspired in terms of their unique racial style. Calia introduces basically an element of Disney what is supposed to be more of an original Tim Burton setting, which simply doesn't fit in. It would be exactly the same, as if we would introduce a dark and shadowy gothic inspired racial leader into the Humans or Blood Elves, who were always defined by a rather bright color scheme and style. I mean, Blizzard seems to understand this themselves if we look at Anduins new style, which represents the Human Fantasy perfectly. It is Paladin-esque, bright and knightly with a lion motive, fitting to the traditional human style which was defined by light, bright medieval and knightly elements and a lion iconography. Calia inside the Forsaken would be like introducing a knightly Troll or Orc or a tribalistic Draenei as Racial Leaders. It doesn't fit and breaks with the fantasy one has with a certain race.

I mean, they could introduce a more morally good Forsaken as the faction leader, but Calia just breaks with what defined the Forsaken in terms of style, tone and story for all of their history too much. Which brings me to the question why she has to be an light-alligned Undead and Holy Priest to begin with. The Priesthood of the Forsaken were traditionally shadow-alligned, just look at the titles of their clerics. It just rubs me the wrong way that both major undead priests, Faol and Calia, have to be light-alligned. Void and Shadow are themes, which already lack representation inside the playable races of World of Warcraft, the only ones really representing this aspect being the Void Elves. With the cult of the forgotten Shadow re-introduced and Blizzard seemingly wanting to make both the Light and the Void more morally grey, I don't get why Calia couldn't have turned into a normal Undead and chosing to study the teachings of the forgotten Shadow, so that she can understand her peopl better who know seem to be practicing a void-based religion primarily instead. This way, Calia could have received a unique model which represents the common style of the Forsaken better, she would have a deeper connection to her people, because she converted to their new religion instead of sticking to the more human-centered religion of the light which many Forsaken left behind and she would have served as a good representation of a Shadow Priest, offering a counter balance to prominent light priests like Velen and Anduin.

To this day, we don't have a single prominent Shadow Priest in World of Warcraft and not a single void-alligned character in the Horde, despite the fact that traditionally in World of Warcraft, the Horde was closer alligned to the Shadow, with both Forsaken and Trolls having more shadow-alligned racial priest spells. The light was always more of a traditional theme of the Alliance. And while I guess we have to live with Void Elves being a part of the alliance right now, focussing more on the forgotten Shadow would have been a good opportunity to bring in the void into the Horde, who are themselves currently overly alligned with the Light, with Blood Elves being now stronger alligned with the Light than with the Arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicIsTerrible View Post
    How the hell does she have zero connection to the Forsaken? 90% of the Forsaken are citizens of Lordaeron, her people. She is the rightful Queen of Lordaeron. But talk out of your ass, I guess.
    We all know who she is and it's mostly irrelevant. In fact, her being the sister of Arthas makes it worse, since the forsaken hate Arthas more than just about anyone.

From a story stand point, she has had nothing to do with the forsaken or the horde for years. She has had nothing to do with their story or their struggle and was raised by the light which is the antithesis of the forsaken. Had blizz built her up with any connection to the horde/forsaken, like they did Voss, she could have worked, but they didn't. They pulled her out of their ass and shoehorned her into the story in a book with her only appearance in game being the Priest Order Hall during which she was still alive.
    Last edited by Khelek; 2019-10-14 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Your extreme pessimism is noted.

We'll see how it actually plays out later. Not that I believe that Blizzard has an amazing lore team, but to ignore something like this is unbelievably boring and bad.

My believe is a lot more reasonable: I think they'll drop the ball on this and not elaborate on it as much as they should, but it will be there. There will be conflicts and likely there will be forsaken that rise up against Calia, perhaps even violently. They are literally taking someone with strong connections to the Alliance and putting them in as leader of one of the most openly violent factions of the Horde. If it worked perfectly, it would be ridiculous, let alone how much potential there is for story growth just thrown away, something they direly need to play off of to keep this game going.
    They'll prolly just make the forsaken that rebel either a new defias group that is dealt with and removed from the factions...

or Gann Stonespire 2.0 where those that don't like the new status quo go off and make their stance known... and then die removing their presence from the story anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Gameplay dictates the story. Defense means that we need to stay in the same zones for multiple patches in a row (since you need to first play the zone while it's in peace). The need for constant new content means we are always on the offensive. We would need people to completely reevaluate their expectations of what patch content means in order to be able to move forward to a more reasonable storyline.
    If there's one good thing BFA has done, and I use that term loosely, it's that people like things happening in the old world. The Arathi remake, thorough as it was, was well received and even the Darkshore one which is much more of a hack job didn't get too badly and people are generally glad to see Uldum and Vale come back in. Provided that enough graphical resources are put into it so that the area is visually distinct from what it used to be and of higher quality, it should be more than possible to place raids within familiar locations. Even a change as simple as having Bad Guy X turn Zone Y into his stronghold with the time dragon there to port you back while having assault style stuff in Zone Z would communicate the proactivity of the bad man as he goes about doing the bad thing.

But that too is not sufficient. N'zoth is basically that and the blurb to the raid tells you about how this is a desperate attack, but even gameplay exempted since I think the ship on that has sailed ages ago, the thing is that N'zoth has genuinely done absolutely nothing successful to harm any of us throughout the entirety of the expansion. The only thing he ever does to inflict casualties is through Sylvanas and Azshara with the ship dunking and Azshara in general has been his front man. Zuldazar - G'huun. Teldrassil and the faction war in general - The Horde I mean Sylvanas. All Sylvanas. Even giving him a Broken Shore moment would've given him some credibility as a baddie.

It's a combination of achieving an in-story victory or victories and having an impact on the world. Oh, and for good measure you can nix those fucking rebel groups and side threats that are always inexplicably in every end level zone since at least WoD. Nothing guts Argus or Nazjatar like having a bunch of yobs using sticks and harsh language somehow still exist in the dominion of evil, fully unperturbed. Or circumventing teh main thing trapping you there for Nazjatar within one quest with an in-story portal copout instead of going the Pandaria route and making the portal a gameplay convenience. Or flying in an invincible spaceship after having established threat through destroying that same kind of spaceship before.

On second thought, I'm kind of glad Ny'alotha isn't a zone and N'zoth isn't either, or we'd be grinding rep with his sentient, freedom-seeking back fungus that've fought the good fight for 10k years.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-10-14 at 07:47 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    For me, there needs to be a solution for both gameplay and story. What I've suggested (which would have been amazing back in WoD since it fits the SavageTM theme) is for them to create a new mode, similar to war mode. You opt in, you get a few new abilities that you can use in the overworld and better rewards. And in return, the overworld turns BRUTAL.
    The game has a substantial number of casual players who turned casual after playing hardcore and many of them are up for challenging content.
    I'd be happy with that, I'm just not convinced Blizzard would do it. I do think there's more chance of what you're suggesting now than there was say, two years ago though, since mobs being able to kill you is one thing most people seem to enjoy a lot about Vanilla and it'd be among the more easily translatable elements. At the very least a Mechagon-esque proof of concept zone for this is something I'd be really into.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Your extreme pessimism is noted.

We'll see how it actually plays out later. Not that I believe that Blizzard has an amazing lore team, but to ignore something like this is unbelievably boring and bad.

My believe is a lot more reasonable: I think they'll drop the ball on this and not elaborate on it as much as they should, but it will be there. There will be conflicts and likely there will be forsaken that rise up against Calia, perhaps even violently. They are literally taking someone with strong connections to the Alliance and putting them in as leader of one of the most openly violent factions of the Horde. If it worked perfectly, it would be ridiculous, let alone how much potential there is for story growth just thrown away, something they direly need to play off of to keep this game going.
    Your position isn't "more reasonable" as it runs contrary to Blizzard's precedent of doing absolutely nothing to explore lines of division among the Forsaken (or most races for that matter). Even a bigger one like the OG vs post-Cata Forsaken. And OK, Forsaken are the most anti-Alliance Horde race. What of it? First of all, Blizzard likes to pretend Calia isn't Alliance. Secondly, what's the second most anti-Alliance race? The Orcs, I'd wager. And who leads the Orcs again with the coming of 8.3?

By the looks of it, Thrall. The guy whose tenure as Warchief was mired with Alliance appeasement where he turned a blind eye to anything related to Alliance attacking the Horde, while berating Horde members for doing the same to the Alliance. The guy who - by his own admission - settled Orcs in Durotar specifically to make them suffer as an atonement for what the Old Horde did to the Alliance, even though many Orcs were born in internment camps and had nothing to do with the First or Second War. The guy who teamed up with the Alliance against the Horde in this very expansion. Do you see any Orcs rising up against being led by an Alliance sycophant of this magnitude in 8.3? Because I don't. Why should Blizzard treat the Forsaken any different?

Blizzard's writing IS unbelievably boring and bad, with "wasted potential" being the overall theme of the entire game. Especially when it comes to faction war stories. Because while they like to cash in on early hype from faction pride the premise of a faction war expansion, the story they actually want to push during such expansions is fortune cookie wisdom of "we're stronger together", "let's sing kumbaya around a bonfire" and "the power on friendship will prevail". With the Horde becoming more Alliance-like after Blizzard tells the Horde players how bad non-Alliancified Hode is and how they need a human to tell them what they should be like.

And they will push it no matter what, regardless of how forced and hamfisted it will be. Vide the majority of the Horde that still stood behind Sylvanas and her war becoming best buds with Alliance on the spot just because Sylvanas was a meanie. Even after we started 8.2.5 with Anduin out of all people pointing out the vectors of bad blood between the factions and his Orc pet Saurfang lamenting that the divide between factions is too large.

Expecting Blizzard to not rise above their established "standard" and simply deliver more of the same isn't "extreme pessimism". It's realism.

Given how it looks like Shadowlands will indeed be the next expansion judging by some Lich King related stuff being the part of 8.3 that's encrypted out of all things, at the very best Blizzard will make some Forsaken still loyal to Sylvanas bail on the faction entirely and join her in her mission. But at that point it's not an internal Forsaken conflict. It's some ex-Forsaken being evil and wrong and joining a villain, while the rest of the Forsaken get even more homogenized in Calia's Light with the departure of the bad apples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Now here is a fun idea, for all those that hate Calia.

Say she does convert the Forsaken to Lightforged or something. Say that many of them will accept this. Say that several others will not. What do you think the Light represented through Calia will do? We have already seen that it can be very very rigorous when it has an agenda to push (Yrel and Xe'ra) so I can very well see Calia being commanded to hunt down those Forsaken that will not convert in a holy crusade and burn them at the stake.

Now the fun question: Would that make you like Calia more or less?

I know, weird question, buuuut, if people love to have Sylvanas the genocidal pschopath, then Calia being a genocidal psychopath too must make it better no?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Now here is a fun idea, for all those that hate Calia.

Say she does convert the Forsaken to Lightforged or something. Say that many of them will accept this. Say that several others will not. What do you think the Light represented through Calia will do? We have already seen that it can be very very rigorous when it has an agenda to push (Yrel and Xe'ra) so I can very well see Calia being commanded to hunt down those Forsaken that will not convert in a holy crusade and burn them at the stake.

Now the fun question: Would that make you like Calia more or less?

I know, weird question, buuuut, if people love to have Sylvanas the genocidal pschopath, then Calia being a genocidal psychopath too must make it better no?
    Calia being genocidal wouldn't get anywhere as that's not Sylvanas's appeal either. Part of her appeal is that she's evil, but not in the "Retard who fails at every turn but is touted as a genius while waging war on an abstract concept" way.

That said, yes, Calia and a hypothetical Lightforged undead allied race would benefit enormously from a characterization that actually thought about what we were dealing with here. A Lightforged undead is essentially a static homunculus devoid of all physiological needs and functionally immortal. Past that, it lacks the lingering psychoses of a regular undead - its soul and body are in alignment and it sees no reason why we shouldn't all get along and all be happy. It, by nature, lacks any frame of reference with human grievances or needs because it lacks any of those itself. A hypothetical Lightforged undead race led by Calia would thus ideally be very benevolent - helping the needy, saving people and so forth, giving out everything they don't require because others need it more, etc. but they'd also be extremely exclusionary and wish to spread their mindset to everyone else so everyone can be as happy as they are. Sorrow, loss, anger, etc. are anathema to them and those who have them would be mentally ill and require help in their eyes - not to be killed, except in last ditch self-defense, but to be Lightforged as they are, preferably after being raised into undeath to eliminate their lingering physical needs as well. This is a cool concept that wouldn't make any of them outright evil, but would push the inhuman element as well as the Light as a cosmic force of stasis and order, and an inhuman element is core to being undead.

Does it fit with the Forsaken though? No. The Forsaken are their losses and grievances, rejections and learning to make the most out of a bad situation, petty with black humor going on and so forth. Such a characterization would be interesting, but also be in total violation of what they are. That said, I would much prefer the above over the current fate of the Forsaken as what are effectively sad ugly humans on the wrong faction. Give me the inhuman holy crusade that'll teach you their peaceful ways by force if need be any day. And if you drag the regular undead with it, then you also get a whole different line of characterization as well with undead emulating their physically perfect leaders and suffering through the Light that burns them out of commitment to the common good of everyone or others who struggle with their contradictory nature. It'd be good stuff.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-10-14 at 04:22 PM.

I have a greater feeling this is exactly what's going to turn out and it won't help Calia's public relations among the forsaken except in more forced railroading because they're going to write it as the official cure.

Maybe said already but oof, this thread is getting large, but i am enjoying the idea of a leader that can tie the forsaken to who they were as a people. These people are those that had died from the blight in lorderan and so having someone who has ties to that lineage seems interesting to me. Gives the Forsaken more of an image then undead tools to a bitter cold elf who has always had disdain for humans.

Edit: As a side note, would it be interesting to have lightforged undead be something forsaken can get and become by doing a side quest, then also unlock that Allied Race as well? I know they did not do it for dranei but it seems logical to give existing forsaken the ability to become lightforged through a quest line, but eh money money.
    Last edited by FurryRedVixen; 2019-10-14 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelek View Post
    We all know who she is and it's mostly irrelevant. In fact, her being the sister of Arthas makes it worse, since the forsaken hate Arthas more than just about anyone.

From a story stand point, she has had nothing to do with the forsaken or the horde for years. She has had nothing to do with their story or their struggle and was raised by the light which is the antithesis of the forsaken. Had blizz built her up with any connection to the horde/forsaken, like they did Voss, she could have worked, but they didn't. They pulled her out of their ass and shoehorned her into the story in a book with her only appearance in game being the Priest Order Hall during which she was still alive.
    Idk even Voss makes little sense. There’s a whole cast of Forsaken higher ranked than her yet somehow she’s suddenly speaking for the Forsaken after specifically not joining the Forsaken back in Cata and her entry into both the Forsaken and Horde sounding more like conscription then any kind of loyalty or real care for either? o ok, yeah that one quest in Stormsong really fleshed her entire history out! She loves Forsaken now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Does it fit with the Forsaken though? No. The Forsaken are their losses and grievances, rejections and learning to make the most out of a bad situation, petty with black humor going on and so forth. Such a characterization would be interesting, but also be in total violation of what they are. That said, I would much prefer the above over the current fate of the Forsaken as what are effectively sad ugly humans on the wrong faction. Give me the inhuman holy crusade that'll teach you their peaceful ways by force if need be any day. And if you drag the regular undead with it, then you also get a whole different line of characterization as well with undead emulating their physically perfect leaders and suffering through the Light that burns them out of commitment to the common good of everyone or others who struggle with their contradictory nature. It'd be good stuff.
    Okay, first, you probably know this has to be asked: Are the Forsaken their scars?

While it's a meme it does actually fit here. The light wants to "help" people that are suffering, Illidan was just one example. I can very well see Calia being revived with the exact purpose of "helping" her former subjects. Unfortunately the Light also does not care if they want this and decides itself what is the best way to help, so the outcome might indeed be a crusade. However I doubt that the ingame faction of Forsaken will be changed this drastically, that would require a lot of remodeling.

I am also not even sure Calia will be the new Forsaken leader. My guess is that she will get a few of them, show them the Light and bring us the Lightforged Undead as next allied race for the Alliance at the start of 9.0. Basically the exact same thing that Alleria did. She also did not become the leader of the Blood Elves, just took a fringe group away from them.
    Don`t get me wrong I still think the Forsaken have to change their ways, otherwise they simply cannot be accepted in the new Horde and would have to be killed off, but I doubt Blizzard is going to change their identity so drastically. As we see here, people go crazy by the mere thought of change. The irrational hatred in some people makes me think that Blizzard HQ is burned down, if there is too much change.

Okay, first, you probably know this has to be asked: Are the Forsaken their scars?

While it's a meme it does actually fit here. The light wants to "help" people that are suffering, Illidan was just one example. I can very well see Calia being revived with the exact purpose of "helping" her former subjects. Unfortunately the Light also does not care if they want this and decides itself what is the best way to help, so the outcome might indeed be a crusade. However I doubt that the ingame faction of Forsaken will be changed this drastically, that would require a lot of remodeling.
    In short, yes, they are. At length, yes and no. The catch with the Forsaken isn't that they're perpetually sad and miserable because they happen to be undead - in that regard BTS misses the point. Their losses are a key part of them, the curse of undeath as something that no living person would want while in their right mind, but just as key is what comes as a result of said curse. Do you wallow in self-pity and look for a savior as every single undead in BFA does, Sylvanas included, except possibly Nathanos? That's always been an extant option. Do you go mad with grief and want to hurt those who rejected you and with whom you now have little in common? That's common as well. But just as important is the key shift in Cataclysm and also present to a point with Zelling, which is the standpoint that to someone who lacks reference to physical feeling, positive emotions and so on, undeath might not be so bad - you're immortal, you don't feel pain, you're unmoored by human ethical concerns and diseases. Undeath as a transhumanist state was a keypoint there. But what sets that apart from the Lightforged version is that it wasn't actually, demonstrably 'superior' to life - it was superior only in the eyes of people who'd lost their reference with life, it still had notable downsides and the people who had that view were obviously twisted. It was still a curse in other words, whereas Calia's state isn't.

All that aside though, the Forsaken are not Illidan as they lack dignity. They've been pre-gutted to enable this situation to come to pass. All I am telling you regarding Cataclysm may as well be non-canon because of BTS and the 'curse' of undeath has been relegated to being purely cosmetic by things like the Desolate Council. Coupled with narration from your own quest text that talks about how honorable and nice Calia is despite Sylvanas' nonexistent betrayal of her, it's 100% without a doubt certain she'll take over. The only question is whether it's the 99% possibility that the Forsaken fundamentally change, except possibly in surface aesthetic because Blizzard are lazy and they didn't make those undead models for the Warfront for nothing or the 1% chance that Calia is either a "what's not supposed to happen" kind of scenario and we end up kicking her out or she is head of an allied race. It'd fit better with the Alliance, but given how completely token the Alliance/Horde barrier is, that doesn't really matter. The main hope for a Lightforged undead race is that they are more the robots described above and less like the Lightforged draenei who despite their potential are completely indistinguishable from MU draenei besides the humiliation of being led by a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    you do remember that forsaken, a group of undead HUMANS, where lead by an undead ELF for several decades? Tell me how a silvermoon undead elf could relate to undead humans?

Oh turns out she didn't that well in the end.
    All of them were killed by the scourge and all of them escaped from the LK once its hold over the scourge was weakened. I think thats one of those things that would bond people. Also, I would say it more like UNDEAD humans led by an UNDEAD elf.

Thats how UNDEAD humans could relate to an UNDEAD elf

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    All of them were killed by the scourge and all of them escaped from the LK once its hold over the scourge was weakened. I think thats one of those things that would bond people. Also, I would say it more like UNDEAD humans led by an UNDEAD elf.

Thats how UNDEAD humans could relate to an UNDEAD elf
    And yet despite all that she still had no love for them and just saw them as nothing, except for cannon fodder and a shield to protect herself.

And yet despite all that she still had no love for them and just saw them as nothing, except for cannon fodder and a shield to protect herself.
    If you play the loyalist "ending" Sylvanas clearly states that she really feels sorry for the Forsaken. Maybe that's not enough to call it "love" but its obvious that she sees them as something more than mere cannon fodder IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    If you play the loyalist "ending" Sylvanas clearly states that she really feels sorry for the Forsaken. Maybe that's not enough to call it "love" but its obvious that she sees them as something more than mere cannon fodder IMO
    And you believe that? She's pretending to care to sweet talk you into loyalty.

And you believe that? She's pretending to care to sweet talk you into loyalty.
    She says she wants to save them by making them immortal with Eyir in her own mind in BTS. Is Sylvanas meta-aware? Does she know she's in a story and obscuring her real plans from the reader?

10+ Year Old Account
    The story has to evolve at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    The story has to evolve at some point...
    This is a good point, but this evolution is like putting Magatha as the Tauren leader cause she understands the Tauren plight. Because she's Tauren.

Calia is basically that way, she's the basic pumpkin spice latte lass telling the homeless person she knows their pain cause "we're all human."