Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Doctor Amadeus How about getting a grip on yourself and acting like you are trying to have a conversation about books then? You could start by answering your own questions in the OP.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Doctor Amadeus How about getting a grip on yourself and acting like you are trying to have a conversation about books then? You could start by answering your own questions in the OP.
    That’s not how this works you don’t dictate how my threads go.

You have a question fine, criticism fine. But you didn’t come here for any of that evidence by your behavior.

The thread is about a book any one you like. It’s just supposed to be light hearted and easy.

I didn’t give a book because I would have said Bible but I’ve read it and I was trying to think of something else.

But for life is a long time I considered asking if you’re stranded on a island but then I’m sure people who say tech manuals or something.

Not sure what book I enjoyed so much it be the one I’d pick forever so I didn’t.

Still interesting to see others picks and what inspires them.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-10-08 at 11:16 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

What do you mean? Like, I have many books already and I'll probably keep most of them for the rest of my life.

If you mean I could only have one book for the rest of my life I would say either an encyclopedia or one of those million-word long novels.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The Bible. Come on, ask a hard question.
    Yeah there's really only that answer. Slogging through the first half should tide you over for a few years.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Ah, but which one? People say "the" Bible as if it is set, but there are quite a few out there and the differences can be rather significant.

[And yes, this does seem to be a softball question with a high probability of eliciting the answer you gave or at least a similar religious work.]
    The one you believe is true.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Difficult question. Since you have one book left and should probably choose something you can re-read, I'm caught between a book that offers wisdom or perspective ( Fables of Aesop etc). Possibly a book of photos, astronomy photos to inspire and let you dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    If you could have one book for the rest of your life what would it be and why?
    As an avid reader, this question is too hard for me to decide. Do I chose a book that I enjoy that I could enjoy reading again or do I choose a useful book like a dictionary or cook book? I assume it's a question tethered to no access of the internet because that would result in this whole question being moot. This is one question I cannot answer as my answer is always changing depending on my needs.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    As an avid reader, this question is too hard for me to decide. Do I chose a book that I enjoy that I could enjoy reading again or do I choose a useful book like a dictionary or cook book? I assume it's a question tethered to no access of the internet because that would result in this whole question being moot. This is one question I cannot answer as my answer is always changing depending on my needs.
    That is a good answer. Sort of explains my choice.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther
    The one you believe is true.
    Cheers! Some folks over complicate things.

Were I to go that direction, I'd want a high quality reproduction of the Lindisfarne Gospels, with a discrete insert containing translations and notes.

For me, it would have to be something with enough sentiment to last the 20 or so years I probably have left. It wouldn't meet the "one book" requirement, or I'd pick my childhood Beatrix Potter books since those are what I learned to read from. For one book, I suppose I'd go with the first children's book I wrote. I still enjoy going through that one with kids, the artist did a heck of a job.

For an abuse the wish answer though ... I'll take a verifiable, authentic, copy of On Sphere-Making. I could probably live out my years quite comfortably if I had that.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Players Handbook I think, could probably find most of the splat books online in digital form, but its nice to have a reference for most of the spells handy.
    /s

I have three different versions of the Bible myself; Good News; International version, and the King James.
    And I find the above comments interesting!

Lindisfarne Gospel? hmm...I think I need to acquire a copy.

I'm not religious, but I don't need to be to appreciate the aesthetics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not much of a book reader but one book stands out in my mind and that's Bioshock Rapture. I remember being so immersed in that book. I've beaten the first and second Bioshock games like 2 or 3 times before reading this book so it helped imaging the scenes that took place in it and it made it all the more immersing. It tells the story of what all happened before the events that took place in the game. It was such a good read.

Either that or a Playboy magazine.