Page 63 of 91 FirstFirst ...
13
53
61
62
63
64
65
73
... LastLast
  1. #1241
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    No they didn't. The only government involvement was the rating the game was given. No government approval needed and none had to be asked for. Unlike China.
    It's late and I'm dense but could you spell out how that is different? Presumably the censors who decide on the ratings are also the ones that ban video games from commercial release, or does it not work that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

  2. #1242
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    It's late and I'm dense but could you spell out how that is different? Presumably the censors who decide on the ratings are also the ones that ban video games from commercial release, or does it not work that way?
    I think it's more that the Chinese censors ban things after the fact. It's not so much that you submit it for classification and they give you the thumbs up or down at that point (I mean they probably do that as well), but rather you wake up one morning and your product is scrubbed from the Chinese internet because it had Pooh in it or something.

    So for businesses, they don't necessarily know ahead of time what will lead to a ban, so they tread lightly and keep an eye out for anything that's known to attract the attention of Chinese censors. Like maps of China that don't include Taiwan, that's a common one. Or too much mention of Tibet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  3. #1243
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ActuAlly yes, witcher 3 did need government approval to be sold here. Any and all big media does. Just like how many pokemon. And yugioh episodes got banned or massively changed. Same with video games and stuff like yugioh cards
    Okay. So what part of the US government censors, modifies, and requires changes of media before being consumed by citizens? The ESRB is not a government controlled entity.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  4. #1244
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    It's late and I'm dense but could you spell out how that is different? Presumably the censors who decide on the ratings are also the ones that ban video games from commercial release, or does it not work that way?
    The ESRB does not ban games. They give it a rating. That rating may limit where it is sold, but it doesn't ban the sale. As it is the ESRB isn't even under government control. The 1st Amendment pretty much bars the government from banning any type of media.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2019-10-14 at 01:34 AM.

  5. #1245
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    It's late and I'm dense but could you spell out how that is different? Presumably the censors who decide on the ratings are also the ones that ban video games from commercial release, or does it not work that way?
    The ESRB doesn't ban products. It assigns a rating to them in order to control if it is appropriate for certain age groups. Steam doesn't require ESRB ratings in order for a game to be sold for example. While some states do have some rules based on the ratings it is largely a self-imposed rule because retail used to rule the world. And these trade groups and other "concerned parents" groups could have hurt the retail stores financially.

    Canada does require ESRB in some parts as well.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  6. #1246
    Fair cop, I thought there had been a thread here ages back about some Japanese Loli- game being banned in America; but it may simply have been the publisher didn't want to/bother to release it in America or chose not to after negative backlash. Thought maybe there was an "obscenity" workaround to the first amendment.

    Mostly its just late and I'm dense
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

  7. #1247
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Fair cop, I thought there had been a thread here ages back about some Japanese Loli- game being banned in America; but it may simply have been the publisher didn't want to/bother to release it in America or chose not to after negative backlash. Thought maybe there was an "obscenity" workaround to the first amendment.
    Well, you're not wrong about that last part; the US Supreme Court has established that the First Amendment does not apply to obscenity (though what is considered obscene has changed considerably over time). I can't comment on the exact circumstances you're referencing without knowing more, but it's possible there was concern over it veering too close to child pornography.

  8. #1248
    man, this has turned into a bad situation.

    us free speech bros fucked up. we cracked the door, and the enemy burst through it.

    instead of jumping on them about banning him, we should have been jumping on them to enforce their rules equally. want no politics? then put your money where your mouth is and stop having politics you agree with in your streams.

    now it's too late though, that goddamned demon fucker soros has found an opening. now we're gonna get slammed with political shit constantly in all this shit.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2019-10-14 at 02:51 AM.
    https://imgur.com/FX4poT6

    steve danuser - waifu cringelord

  9. #1249
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ActuAlly yes, witcher 3 did need government approval to be sold here.
    In the US? No, no it did not. The only regulation on video games in the US is the ESRB and they are fully funded and ran by the industry itself, not the government. Also not even required, certain platform holders require a ESRB rating for you to release their game there but others do not. Plenty of un-rated games on Steam for example.

  10. #1250
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Well, you're not wrong about that last part; the US Supreme Court has established that the First Amendment does not apply to obscenity (though what is considered obscene has changed considerably over time). I can't comment on the exact circumstances you're referencing without knowing more, but it's possible there was concern over it veering too close to child pornography.
    The US Supreme Court did rule that animated child porn was legal because it was considered art, however.

  11. #1251
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Fair cop, I thought there had been a thread here ages back about some Japanese Loli- game being banned in America; but it may simply have been the publisher didn't want to/bother to release it in America or chose not to after negative backlash. Thought maybe there was an "obscenity" workaround to the first amendment.

    Mostly its just late and I'm dense
    There is no legal grounds to ban any game in the US. Certain platform holders will refuse to allow you to release a game on their platform if you don't have an ESRB rating or if it's AO rated, but that's not the law it's the platform holders own rules for releasing on their platform.

    Steam is pretty much the wild west and will allow anything but even if you have a game steam says no to, there is no US laws stopping you from releasing it for sale and download on your own website.

  12. #1252
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Yeah, that was you. China is in no way required to make a profit or money. Blizzard can very easily be a profitable company without doing business with China. It won't be as lucrative, but it can be done. Blizzard makes and develops it's game here. It is no way reliant on anyone in China to make the game. So, they don't have to rely on China to be profitable either. A lot different obviously if your goods are made there, but Blizzard's good aren't made there.
    so thanks for admitting that you FAILED economics, you dont just ignore a huge market like china...
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    So? Sucks to be them then. If they have a problem with it, then maybe they should rise up and take care of what cost them the chance. That is the only way it will stop. The whole world is complicit in this.
    Its not Blizzards job to topple governments...grow up kid its YOUR job to do so. best u start cleaning that shit house of of your government?

    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    America does not come close to what China has done.
    what?????
    are you always lying this much to yourself???
    america does torture people, puts KIDS(!) in cages!, spies on everyone (see Snowden and similar whistleblowers), shits on human rights, kills people with drones, has more racism then anywhere else on the world, etc etc

    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    You don't see the US bullying other countries into silencing their anti-US protestors do you?
    oh sheep: the US is the BIGGEST bully there is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Permanent Record
    On the 01.07.2013, the president of Bolivia, Evo Morales, left another airport in Moscow, Vnukovo, in his Bolivian state plane after attending the annual Gas Exporting Countries Forum. The US government, suspecting that I [Edward Snowden] was onboard due to President Morales’s expressions of solidarity, pressured the governments of Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal to deny the plane access to their airspace, and succeeded in diverting it to Vienna, Austria. There it was grounded, searched, and only allowed to continue on its journey once no traces of me were found.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...f30_story.html

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Because being abused and killed by your own governemt is so much better, right?
    so you are a hypocrit?
    cause when China shits on human rights its bad but the fact that the USA is doing it is okay for you?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Honestly the one thing I encourage people to do is to avoid as much "made in China" products. It's not the easiest thing and will be pretty restrictive.
    that wouldnt allow you to ever use a smartphone again....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    But I guess it is OK by you for their people to be slaughtered and abused by their government as long as you can make money off of them.
    sounds like the american business model. "there is oil in country xyz!" "lets liberate them!"...

  13. #1253
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    so thanks for admitting that you FAILED economics, you dont just ignore a huge market like china...
    Nothing of what you say makes any sense, other than your continued insistance that you need to do business with China to be profitable show me you are completely clueless about economics. YOu need to quit while you are behind.

    Its not Blizzards job to topple governments...grow up kid its YOUR job to do so. best u start cleaning that shit house of of your government?
    Who is asking Blizzard to topple a government? They are being asked to not do business with a country that is full of human rights absues and silences free speech.

    what?????
    are you always lying this much to yourself???
    america does torture people, puts KIDS(!) in cages!, spies on everyone (see Snowden and similar whistleblowers), shits on human rights, kills people with drones, has more racism then anywhere else on the world, etc etc
    What drugs are you on? The US never put kids in cages. They do not torturew anyone. Edward Snowden? LOL he is a traitor of this country wqho committed treason. Why do you think he hides in countries that won't extradite him? The fact you are even trying to equate the US to China in anyway is laughable.


    oh sheep: the US is the BIGGEST bully there is:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...f30_story.html
    Your hero, Edward Snowden, is a traitor who committed treason. That is in no way bullying.

  14. #1254
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Nobody is suggesting that totalitarian regimes will go down without a fight.
    you really think people in one town will bring down china? this aint the small GDR!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Who is asking Blizzard to topple a government? They are being asked to not do business with a country that is full of human rights absues and silences free speech.
    Is that irony coming from the country with as much human rights abuse as the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    The US never put kids in cages. They do not torturew anyone. Edward Snowden? LOL he is a traitor of this country wqho committed treason. Why do you think he hides in countries that won't extradite him? The fact you are even trying to equate the US to China in anyway is laughable.
    So you an us nazi who think his shit government cant do any wrong, gotcha.

    [Infraction]

    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    That is in no way bullying.
    yes forcing a plane to land, that WAS bullying 1on1.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    The US never put kids in cages.
    I know you are closing both Eyes to the SHIT YOUR county does
    https://www.vox.com/2018/6/11/174431...arated-parents
    https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...hts-defenders/

    but go on, be an edgy sheep and protest for hong kong while human rights are violated right in front of your door and YOU let it happen.

    PS: In case you wanna start change start reading this: https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201.../united-states
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-10-14 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Minor Flaming

  15. #1255
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Tsunako
    Posts
    15,048
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    that wouldnt allow you to ever use a smartphone again....
    It's like you didn't read literally my next suggestions.

  16. #1256
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The whataboutism is getting kind of old...

    Honestly the one thing I encourage people to do is to avoid as much "made in China" products. It's not the easiest thing and will be pretty restrictive.

    Some examples.
    Phone wise, you can buy from Sony, Samsung or LG. Sony mobile is Thailand. Samsung is India, South Korea and Vietnam (India one tends to be sold in India). LG is now Vietnam. Assuming I'm remembering correctly, they moved around a bunch this year.

    Headphones. Sony I know comes from Malaysia for their WF/WH lines, unsure about the others. Samsung I believe comes from Vietnam.

    Computer parts gets trickier though.
    For the most part, DRAM comes from South Korea, US or Japan. It does tend to get assembled all over the place though.
    Motherboard is absurdly hard to come by cheaply outside of China. Asus and Gigabyte (iirc) have some factories in Taiwan but they're not all of it, so it's quite hard to find out where's what.
    GPU, same thing applies from above.
    SSD, actually unsure, forgot which comes from where. Could just go with Crucial or Samsung iirc... (don't quote me on this :P)
    CPU, it's going to be either manufactured by Intel (US or Israel) or AMD (TSMC, Taiwan's).
    PSU you'll have trouble finding bar the obvious Coolermaster MIJ (made in Japan) one that's basically server quality and absurdly expensive. SeaSonic had lines in their Taiwan factories but you'll need to research to find out which are from where. Similar designs that move to China typically also get a name change.
    Monitors, guaranteed ones are Eizo. They're made in Japan (love my Eizo FG2421 ) they're also expensive to boot but really well built, which imo is worth it. BenQ has facilities in Mexico, Malaysia, Taiwan and China, so it's a toss up there.
    Keyboard, get a Ducky, made in Taiwan. They're also awesomely built.
    Some of the problems though is that these countries are just as bad or near to China in issues. India and kashmir oppression for one.

    Thailand is pushing once again towards absolute monrchism with military crackdowns every year or so.

    No issues with Taiwan, South Korea or Japan. Vietnam is communist in a similar way to China, just hate on China being the difference which is why they all but slipped into US influence.

  17. #1257
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Tsunako
    Posts
    15,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Some of the problems though is that these countries are just as bad or near to China in issues. India and kashmir oppression for one.

    Thailand is pushing once again towards absolute monrchism with military crackdowns every year or so.

    No issues with Taiwan, South Korea or Japan. Vietnam is communist in a similar way to China, just hate on China being the difference which is why they all but slipped into US influence.
    Yeah it's not perfect but it's one of the lesser evils.

  18. #1258
    The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    24,399
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    man, this has turned into a bad situation.

    us free speech bros fucked up. we cracked the door, and the enemy burst through it.

    instead of jumping on them about banning him, we should have been jumping on them to enforce their rules equally. want no politics? then put your money where your mouth is and stop having politics you agree with in your streams.

    now it's too late though, that goddamned demon fucker soros has found an opening. now we're gonna get slammed with political shit constantly in all this shit.
    wtf are you even referring to?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  19. #1259
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    wtf are you even referring to?
    one of the groups planning to protest at blizzcon is one of soros' non-profit organizations.

    all this outrage has told blizzard that we want politics in their events and games. this could open the door to them pushing their politics in their games and events even more than they already do.
    https://imgur.com/FX4poT6

    steve danuser - waifu cringelord

  20. #1260
    The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    24,399
    this is a political issue.....so what's the problem with having a political group at a protest involving a POLITICAL ISSUE?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    As someone who is not happy with blizzard shilling for China, I’m going to be pissed if protesters inconvenience me at BlizzCon.
    because blizzcon is more important than human rights. got it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Omg people can't understand we don't want politics in games? Blizzard did the right thing.
    i hear if you bury your face in the sand long enough nasty stuff goes away.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    But he kinda has a point.
    You are showing outrage yet you are paying and supporting the company entirely.
    What does that make us?
    what about the people who just play the FREE TO PLAY titles and don't spend anything in protest? are they contributing to blizzard's profit margin?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •