Page 27 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    In solidarity for the protesters in Hong Kong i'm T-bagging and performing a fatality on EVERY Liu Kang, Kitana, and Kung Lao player I body.
    But Kitana wasn't asian. She wasn't even from this planet!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    lmao, yes me, who dislikes you authoritarian left wingers also support the authoritarian communist government of china. What ever. i'm no longer surprised at the ridiculousness of the accusations that spout from your fingers.
    You’re the one that communicated that sentiment.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I actually doubt blizzard would do that. Because they don’t have to worry about stepping on eggshells to ensure they can function in the US, because somehow China’s government manages to have a thinner skin than trump.
    Eh, I dunno. I think they might, actually.

You’re the one that communicated that sentiment.
    i'm not responsible for your own misinterpretation of my words. Nor am i responsible for the imaginary caricature you have created of me in your mind. though its is quite fascinating to hear about.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Eh, I dunno. I think they might, actually.
    You think they’d cut the feed, redact all prize money from the winner, discontinue him from participating in future tournaments, and fire two people for saying “I don’t like trump?”

Because I don’t think they would,

What they did was not “measured response,” it was “fear.”

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    i'm not responsible for your own misinterpretation of my words. Nor am i responsible for the imaginary caricature you have created of me in your mind. though its is quite fascinating to hear about.

You pointed out that blizzard, in conjunction with one of its higher ups exclusively supporting republican causes, capitulated to China, and then stated that this would probably come as a “surprise” to the individuals who thought hey were an, in effect, “beneficent” liberal company. You were saying that assumption of both their beneficence and their liberal leanings were incorrect, and that the antithesis of that; I.e, what they actually are, was that of an amoral republican leaning company.

To which I found it quite funny that you as a conservative would admit.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The problem for blizzard is that they are political when it benefits them just like the NBA. You can't have it both ways.

15+ Year Old Account
    What they did was not “measured response,” it was “fear.”
    We won't know until it happens again. It was not a response out of fear though because they acted exactly as the rules said they would. That isn't acting out of fear. Blizzard themselves likely have no control over the casters job as they likely worked for X sub contractor rather then direct Blizzard employees. Though I don't see why their jobs should be saved if they were involved in causing/enabling a person to break the rules.

Given the way contracts work they easily could have a lawsuit if they didn't enforce the rules. It was also an event with advertisers that might now be dragged into political mess against their will. The Mitsubishi logo was on screen during the incident. The response was not a reaction of fear. It was a reaction following the letter of the law (their rules).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    The problem for blizzard is that they are political when it benefits them just like the NBA. You can't have it both ways.
    Sure you can. A company has the right to dictate when and where they make stances on subjects. Blizzard has also stayed out of country politics and things of this nature. The closest they have come is the support of LGBQT. Which isn't necessarily political since it is legal in the country.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Uninstalled the remaining Blizzard games I had on my computer (uninstalled WoW awhile ago). I wasn't playing them so it doesn't really matter, but their games are gone from my PC. Same with Call of Duty and anything associated with activision, since they're the same company basically. Don't forget your activision games, if you guys are actually protesting this. Destiny, Call of Duty, etc.
    Destiny 2 is no longer under Activision, it's solely Bungie now. I don't know how they did it, but they got it completely out from under their yoke.

You pointed out that blizzard, in conjunction with one of its higher ups exclusively supporting republican causes, capitulated to China, and then stated that this would probably come as a “surprise” to the individuals who thought hey were an, in effect, “beneficent” liberal company. You were saying that assumption of both their beneficence and their liberal leanings were incorrect, and that the antithesis of that; I.e, what they actually are, was that of an amoral republican leaning company.

To which I found it quite funny that you as a conservative would admit.
    right, because you have never taken the time to actually understand me. If you did you would not be under such a foolish misconception. im am right wing, i am not a conservative.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I'm in shock that Marco Rubio said something I wholeheartedly agree with.

Shame hes more flexible on others principles than he is his own.
    He says a lot good stuff...then walks it back as soon as his puppetmasters tell him to.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Sure you can. A company has the right to dictate when and where they make stances on subjects.
    I mean yeah they can but they can't do this and not expect blowback from it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    I mean yeah they can but they can't do this and not expect blowback from it.
    They didn't make a political stand here though. They did the very opposite by not making one at all. They took the neutral stance of simply enforcing their rules with no statement either way. That is completely different then coming out in support of something. It is perfectly fine for getting blow back for remaining neutral. But that isn't what you and others are complaining about.

Blizzard choose not to take a stance on the subject after being forced into it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

They didn't make a political stand here though. They did the very opposite by not making one at all. They took the neutral stance of simply enforcing their rules with no statement either way. That is completely different then coming out in support of something. It is perfectly fine for getting blow back for remaining neutral. But that isn't what you and others are complaining about.

Blizzard choose not to take a stance on the subject after being forced into it.
    Their punishment was incredibly unreasonable. And their weibo account's post refers to China as "our country." Uh, right.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2019-10-10 at 03:39 AM.

They didn't make a political stand here though.
    They did.

Sorry but you nor blizzard gets to fence ride. You both chose your sides.

They didn't make a political stand here though. They did the very opposite by not making one at all. They took the neutral stance of simply enforcing their rules with no statement either way.
    There's nothing "neutral" about that... especially considering the extremity of the punishment for said "rule broken". If he had a 6 month ban, tops, I'd possibly agree with you. But to have his entire rank and winnings witheld? That's downright vindictive, excessive and unnecessary based purely on the rules they're using.

EDIT: and, as others above pointed out - the mere act of punishing for a political view (especially when it wasn't calling out for violence) IS a political stance via Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Destiny 2 is no longer under Activision, it's solely Bungie now. I don't know how they did it, but they got it completely out from under their yoke.
    Simple: Activision never owned Bungie, they merely acted as a publisher. When that publishing contract ended, Bungie chose not to renew.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    But to have his entire rank and winnings witheld? That's downright vindictive, excessive and unnecessary based purely on the rules they're using.
    The rule they used actually leaves very little room for discretion on that point:

Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Simple: Activision never owned Bungie, they merely acted as a publisher. When that publishing contract ended, Bungie chose not to renew.
    The contract was 10 years, so it didn't end. Bungie bought the contract out, which likely means there is a large stress on bungie to succeed now because they likely ate up a lot of debt with that move, and no longer have activision to point fingers at.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The rule they used actually leaves very little room for discretion on that point:
    So, the parts they're using is "Blizzard's sole Discretion" and "Offends a portion or group of the public", translating into "Blizzard chooses Chinese government that is offended by his stance."

Yeah, total bullshit. The rules are written there clearly for things like Racism, Bigotry, ect...

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    So, the parts they're using is "Blizzard's sole Discretion" and "Offends a portion or group of the public", translating into "Blizzard chooses Chinese government that is offended by his stance."

Yeah, total bullshit. The rules are written there clearly for things like Racism, Bigotry, ect...
    Enforcement is at their discretion, but the punishment is rather explicit ("will result in... reduction of the player's prize total to $0 USD").

Again, though, to refer back to my previous post, Blizzard had no good options here. To go against China would be to potentially lose the entire market, take an enormous financial hit, be forced to lay off dozens if not hundreds of people, and get crucified by their shareholders. I'm not taking China's side in this matter, simply recognizing that this was a no-win scenario for Blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's worse than that, because China has been rife with human rights violations for, what, decades...and Blizzard has been working with Chinese companies for years while these same people happily consumed their products. But suddenly someone they've never heard about gets banned from a tournament they weren't watching for pulling a political stunt, and everyone loses their minds.
    And reddit, and lol, and fortnite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯