Page 28 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The rule they used actually leaves very little room for discretion on that point:
    Some will use the loss of money in China as an acceptable reason for their decision, but most aren't acting like this was anything but an over reaction for a specific reason. The fact is there are a lot of media companies censoring games and movies made in the west, even with most of their profits made here, solely because the CCP does not approve and use their leverage as either financiers or with the promise of future markets to enforce this. In the new version of Top Gun, they took the Japanese and Taiwanese flags off of Tom Cruise's flight jacket for crying out loud!

But people will defend the entertainment industry in a way they never would for the average corporation. Its disturbing to see the kind of rationalizing a lot of people are doing here. Funny enough, it does not seem to divide along right / left lines as usual, so that is something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's worse than that, because China has been rife with human rights violations for, what, decades...and Blizzard has been working with Chinese companies for years while these same people happily consumed their products. But suddenly someone they've never heard about gets banned from a tournament they weren't watching for pulling a political stunt, and everyone loses their minds.
    Its about letting an authoritarian regime censor media in other countries. In Korea, in Taiwan, and now in the US. If Blizzard, the other game companies, and Hollywood would rather appease the CCP first and then try to work us to accept that then maybe they should just move there. Hong Kong and all the other problems the PRC has are important, but its different when its happening in your own country and you can do something about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    Its about letting an authoritarian regime censor media in other countries. In Korea, in Taiwan, and now in the US. If Blizzard, the other game companies, and Hollywood would rather appease the CCP first and then try to work us to accept that then maybe they should just move there. Hong Kong and all the other problems the PRC has are important, but its different when its happening in your own country and you can do something about it.
    Private company, dont like it dont buy it, businesses exist to make money etc etc

Did i miss anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    They didn't make a political stand here though. They did the very opposite by not making one at all. They took the neutral stance of simply enforcing their rules with no statement either way. That is completely different then coming out in support of something. It is perfectly fine for getting blow back for remaining neutral. But that isn't what you and others are complaining about.

Blizzard choose not to take a stance on the subject after being forced into it.
    “You can choose a ready guide,
    From some celestial voice
    But if you choose not to decide
    You still have made a choice,”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

"Every voice matters*"

*Unless it pisses off China, then fuck you.

They didn't make a political stand here though. They did the very opposite by not making one at all.
    Not making a stand is still making a stand.

Its them turning a blind eye and throwing away what they claim to believe in. The words that they literally have placed outside their company mean nothing if it effects their bottom line.

EVEN FUCKEN EPIC GAMES has even stated they would never censor a Fortnite player and Tencent owns 49.8% of their shares.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-10-10 at 04:36 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    Some will use the loss of money in China as an acceptable reason for their decision,
    The shareholders absolutely would, and they're ultimately who they Blizzard has to answer to at the end of the day. As a publicly-traded company, they don't have the option of unilaterally risking a significant percentage of their business on taking a moral stand. It's a shitty reality, but it's the reality nonetheless. They have to make the decision that's best for their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    FUCKEN EPIC GAMES has even stated they would never censor a Fortnite player and Tencent owns 49.8% of their shares.
    I hate to say it, but this is one of those things that's really easy to say when they're not the ones in an impossible position of having to suddenly choose between their business and their morals.

I hate to say it, but this is one of those things that's really easy to say when they're not the ones in an impossible position of having to suddenly choose between their business and their morals.
    You would have a point any other time but not here.

Tencent own's 49.8% of Epic Games shares, Just them saying they wouldn't have censored it is a risk to their money. Tencent is the biggest gaming company in China and how everyone gets into that market.

For them to come out and say (we would not have done that) actually did put them at risk.

The shareholders absolutely would, and they're ultimately who they Blizzard has to answer to at the end of the day. As a publicly-traded company, they don't have the option of unilaterally risking a significant percentage of their business on taking a moral stand.
    And yet they risk losing a different part of their market because they did make a stand. Them banning the kid,taking his winnings and firing the announcers was them making a stand.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Private company
    Public Company actually.

“We are very angered and disappointed at what happened at the event and don’t condone it in any way. We also highly object the spreading of personal and political beliefs in this manner. Effective immediately we’ve banned the contestant from events and terminated work with the broadcasters. We will always respect and defend the pride of OUR country.”
    The message posted on the chinese version of Blizzard.net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    tbf with full transparency that statement was made by netease who distributes for blizzard in china, not blizzard directly. Still a bad look tho.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't make a political stand here though. They did the very opposite by not making one at all. They took the neutral stance of simply enforcing their rules with no statement either way. That is completely different then coming out in support of something. It is perfectly fine for getting blow back for remaining neutral. But that isn't what you and others are complaining about.

Blizzard choose not to take a stance on the subject after being forced into it.
    Actually, they did take a stance by towing china's line immediately, harshly, and without prompting. They're against everything the western world stands for. Freedom, diversity, human rights. Blizzard does not believe in any of these, they should just get their trash-heap of a campus out of Irvine and ship out to Beijing.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

You would have a point any other time but not here.

Tencent own's 49.8% of Epic Games shares, Just them saying they wouldn't have censored it is a risk to their money. Tencent is the biggest gaming company in China and how everyone gets into that market.

For them to come out and say (we would not have done that) actually did put them at risk.
    I'm well aware of Tencent's stake in the company. It still costs them nothing to say that, because Tencent can easily and happily stay silent, let them say what they want in America that will never get transmitted over to mainland China, and remain secure in the knowledge that they can put lie to that statement if Epic ever winds up in a similar situation. Because let's me realistic: if Epic IS ever in a similar situation, do you really think that Tencent WOULDN'T force them to respond in a similar manner?

But then, let's be realistic: the real concern is not Tencent, but the Chinese government, which gets to decide whether or not to allow any foreign company to operate within their borders. Tencent is a business and their only concern is maximizing their return, not that their investments toe the party line.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    The western world stands for diversity? That sure isn't noticeable.
    Then you haven't been paying attention because there is a lot of diversity in the entertainment industry.

Could it be better? Yes but doesn't change the fact its there.

- - - Updated - - -

But then, let's be realistic: the real concern is not Tencent, but the Chinese government, which gets to decide whether or not to allow any foreign company to operate within their borders. Tencent is a business and their only concern is maximizing their return, not that their investments toe the party line.
    To think this you really don't know anything about Tencent or how company's in China work.

Like did you not see what just happen with the NBA?

And yet they risk losing a different part of their market because they did make a stand. Them banning the kid,taking his winnings and firing the announcers was them making a stand.
    As I said: impossible shitty situation, no good choices.

Odd this hasn't warranted a post on MMO-Champs front page. Blizzard is seldom in the news this much, I can hardly think of anything else more worthy of at least a mention. But, I do understand the importance of letting everyone know how many eyeballs our soon-to-be-transmogged-gear from the next patch has. Should keep that front and center.

To think this you really don't know anything about Tencent or how company's in China work.
    I spent several years at the American branch of a Chinese game company. I've also spent time at an American company in which Tencent was a major investor. Believe me, I am well aware of how all that works.

Like did you not see what just happen with the NBA?
    You mean in which the Chinese government is forcing companies to cut ties and effectively denying the NBA the Chinese market? Yes, I saw that. And I've little doubt that China would have done much the same to Blizzard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    The western world stands for diversity? That sure isn't noticeable.
    Ok, where's our organ harvesting camps for minorities?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    So, Chinese pride is 100% OK, but Hong Kong pride is ban worthy?

Yeah, Blizzard has no leg to stand on.

EVEN FUCKEN EPIC GAMES has even stated they would never censor a Fortnite player and Tencent owns 49.8% of their shares.
    Pwahahah

As I said: impossible shitty situation, no good choices.
    The right choice was to do nothing at all or just give the kid a light punishment like taking 10% of his earnings and he has to sit out a few tournaments.

Nuking the whole thing so China doesn't get mad was a really bad idea.