Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    When it comes to politics the USA bullies other countries now. China will be doing that in the next few decades... let's keep giving them money! And we'll all probably be worst off for it.

Fucking hate China, such a morally corrupt nation in every regard. Wish Governments had a fucking spine to stop dealing with them instead of just lip service.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-10-08 at 03:00 PM.

This is hilarious, I just saw the South Park episode on this topic last night and it couldn't be any more relevant.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Nothing wrong with what Blizzard has done here. He piggy-backed this event to politicize it, without the knowledge of the organizers and without their consent. Freedom of speech is a thing, yes. It is not your right to do it off the back of others making them unwilling participants.

If people can't comprehend that this is why Blizzard reacted the way they did, then they shouldn't comment due to lack of intelligence and/or overwhelming levels of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukachu View Post
    Nothing wrong with what Blizzard has done here. He piggy-backed this event to politicize it, without the knowledge of the organizers and without their consent. Freedom of speech is a thing, yes. It is not your right to do it off the back of others making them unwilling participants.

If people can't comprehend that this is why Blizzard reacted the way they did, then they shouldn't comment due to lack of intelligence and/or overwhelming levels of ignorance.
    This, I wonder if everyone here is a kid. Imagine if everyone used these platforms to show political/religion support. Imagine if someone did the same to support sharia law or jihad. That is a Blizzard platform, not your channel.

2019 HEARTHSTONE® GRANDMASTERS OFFICIAL COMPETITION RULES v1.4 p.12, Section 6.1 (o)

Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unacceptable.

I was thinking of returning to WoW, thanks to Vulpera and general curiosity on what the game is now, but fuck that.

Similar thing with Hearthstone. The recent single-player content have been fun. But I'm not going to support them for this.

If they don't reverse this shit, I'm out. Blizzard is not going to get a penny more from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    This, I wonder if everyone here is a kid. Imagine if everyone used these platforms to show political/religion support. Imagine if someone did the same to support sharia law or jihad. That is a Blizzard platform, not your channel.
    As Jim said, the problem with this rule is that it's so vague that it's basically Blizzard deciding whether or not you've been naughty. That decision being whether Blizzard is willing to lose a few billion dollars they could've easily survived without OR side with a tyrannical government that doesn't give 2 figs about human rights.
    And they chose the latter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    As Jim said, the problem with this rule is that it's so vague that it's basically Blizzard deciding whether or not you've been naughty. That decision being whether Blizzard is willing to lose a few billion dollars they could've easily survived without OR side with a tyrannical government that doesn't give 2 figs about human rights.
    What i find it realy funny is how the recent south park ep kinda predicted this.

The problem is Blizzard didn't react the way they did because he was using the event to politicize it. They did it because they were terrified of pissing off China.

If you think they would have reacted this way if he had spouted some pro-LGBT nonsense then you're the fucking ignorant one. Yes he was in the wrong to do it in the first place, but it just illuminates how much Blizzard wants to stay in the good graces of probably one of the worst governments in the history of the planet.
    Last edited by Erbel; 2019-10-08 at 04:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's more complex than that. We have this perspective in the West, but a majority of their money actually comes from mainland China.

Mainland China accounts for something like 40% of WoW's players, historically, larger than any other region. They are arguably more a Chinese company than an American one, despite being based in California.

They are also accountable to their shareholders. They have a legal obligation to protect the company's financial interests. Expecting them, or any other company, to jeopardize that much money is simply naive.

Expecting morality from any company is naive. Don't do it. They aren't your friends. They exist to sell you things.

If this had been Riot or Valve, or even Nintendo, you can be certain the same thing would have happened.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2019-10-08 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post
    If you think they would have reacted this way if he had spouted some pro-LGBT nonsense then you're the fucking ignorant one.
    You have just as much proof, that amount being zero, that they wouldn't have acted the same way. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It's more complex than that. We have this perspective in the West, but a majority of their money actually comes from mainland China.

Mainland China accounts for something like 40% of WoW's players, historically, larger than any other region. They are arguably more a Chinese company than an American one, despite being based in California.

They are also accountable to their shareholders. They have a legal obligation to protect the company's financial interests. Expecting them, or any other company, to jeopardize that much money is simply naive.

Expecting morality from any company is naive. Don't do it. They aren't your friends. They exist to sell you things.

If this had been Riot or Valve, or even Nintendo, you can be certain the same thing would have happened.
    This!

The entirety of this story is "Pro gamer breaks event organizers pre-established rules and get punished for it". Thats the only fact that matters. Anything else is just looking for something to rage at, being idealistically naive to an absurd degree, or both.
    Last edited by Gurbz; 2019-10-08 at 04:10 PM.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    They don't care. It's just another "Let's find a way to bash Blizzard." thread. He broke the terms and got punished.

I know the PRC is shit but as a company are you really going to say to 1.5 BILLION (aka more than the American and European Market combined) people. Sorry we're not going to let you play our games.

Any company that is going to say no to china is basically failing as a company. There are over 7 billion people in this planet every single one of them should be able to get products. Even if the government is psychotic. Don't punish the people for act of the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    You have just as much proof, that amount being zero, that they wouldn't have acted the same way. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, does it.

This!

The entirety of this story is "Pro gamer breaks event organizers pre-established rules and get punished for it". Thats the only fact that matters. Anything else is just looking for something to rage at, being idealistically naive to an absurd degree, or both.
    Why did the interviewers get fired?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    What i find it realy funny is how the recent south park ep kinda predicted this.
    Predicted nothing. This has been going on for years now. The entire entertainment industry is kowtowing to China to earn a buck, because they represent the largest market in the world. It's even more evident in the film industry.

If you guys think this is bad, this is only the begining for blizzard. They started censoring their game for China bit by bit. It will only get worse, this is where their future money is, making mediocrity for China.

Remember when the put a tranny in a 2017 "Look at all the people that play Blizzard games" section that plays at the start of every BlizzCon?
    They didn't erase it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    If you guys think this is bad, this is only the begining for blizzard. They started censoring their game for China bit by bit. It will only get worse, this is where their future money is, making mediocrity for China.
    I'm well aware of Heartstone card art changes.
    But there's also Diablo Immortal as it doesn't have witchdoctor from the D3 character choices (and let's face it that's what it is, D3 material reuse for mobile).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by risks View Post
    Why did the interviewers get fired?
    I didn't see the broadcast but I would have to assume they are being held accountable for encouraging it by interviewing him in the first place, and not attempting to prevent it. He wasn't exactly being subtle about his intentions in the moments leading up to the interview (considering that he was dressed as a protester), though they may not have anticipated he'd vocally support the protests.

Blitzchung knew what he was doing and was taking a risk to get his message out, knowing their would be consequences to his actions for him. That's why his protest actually had value, and arguably Blizzard banning him is the best thing that could happen because it amplified his message. That's kind of the point of a stunt like this in the first place. If nothing had come from it, nobody would be talking about it and awareness wouldn't have been raised.

Nobody is having an issue understanding why Blizzard did this. The real problem is that people think rules and money should supercede HUMAN FUCKING RIGHTS. (Hint: They shouldn't)

Remember when the put a tranny in a 2017 "Look at all the people that play Blizzard games" section that plays at the start of every BlizzCon?
    They didn't erase it.
    The difference being that it was their video, that they produced. Not a pro gamer violating the rules that Blizzard had outlined significantly prior to the event taking place.

He knew the rules, he willingly broke the rules, he got punished. It happens countless times every day all over the world. You want to rage against social injustice? Awesome! Do that. But in the appropriate venues. This was not one of them.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

The difference being that it was their video, that they produced. Not a pro gamer violating the rules that Blizzard had outlined significantly prior to the event taking place.

He knew the rules, he willingly broke the rules, he got punished. It happens countless times every day all over the world. You want to rage against social injustice? Awesome! Do that. But in the appropriate venues. This was not one of them.
    yeah, the time to talk about politics and inclusivity is when blizzard will make money from looking like they give a shit, not when it'll lose them money from China.

basically we love everyone give us money, but fuck you if you'll lose us money then we don't give a shit.

This is basically most companies these days, they pretend to give a shit how inclusive and caring they are, right up until it'll hurt their bottom line then fuck 'em.

the rules say "if you say something naughty you get punished as Blizzard finds fit"

Very generalized, as literally anything can be "naughty".
    Could you point me in the rule where this was broken?

please do

QUOTE:
    Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms.