Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    You have just as much proof, that amount being zero, that they wouldn't have acted the same way. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, does it.

This!

The entirety of this story is "Pro gamer breaks event organizers pre-established rules and get punished for it". Thats the only fact that matters. Anything else is just looking for something to rage at, being idealistically naive to an absurd degree, or both.
    Why did the interviewers get fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    What i find it realy funny is how the recent south park ep kinda predicted this.
    Predicted nothing. This has been going on for years now. The entire entertainment industry is kowtowing to China to earn a buck, because they represent the largest market in the world. It's even more evident in the film industry.

If you guys think this is bad, this is only the begining for blizzard. They started censoring their game for China bit by bit. It will only get worse, this is where their future money is, making mediocrity for China.

You have just as much proof, that amount being zero, that they wouldn't have acted the same way. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, does it.
    Remember when the put a tranny in a 2017 "Look at all the people that play Blizzard games" section that plays at the start of every BlizzCon?
    They didn't erase it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    If you guys think this is bad, this is only the begining for blizzard. They started censoring their game for China bit by bit. It will only get worse, this is where their future money is, making mediocrity for China.
    I'm well aware of Heartstone card art changes.
    But there's also Diablo Immortal as it doesn't have witchdoctor from the D3 character choices (and let's face it that's what it is, D3 material reuse for mobile).

Quote Originally Posted by risks View Post
    Why did the interviewers get fired?
    I didn't see the broadcast but I would have to assume they are being held accountable for encouraging it by interviewing him in the first place, and not attempting to prevent it. He wasn't exactly being subtle about his intentions in the moments leading up to the interview (considering that he was dressed as a protester), though they may not have anticipated he'd vocally support the protests.

Blitzchung knew what he was doing and was taking a risk to get his message out, knowing their would be consequences to his actions for him. That's why his protest actually had value, and arguably Blizzard banning him is the best thing that could happen because it amplified his message. That's kind of the point of a stunt like this in the first place. If nothing had come from it, nobody would be talking about it and awareness wouldn't have been raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukachu View Post
    Nothing wrong with what Blizzard has done here. He piggy-backed this event to politicize it, without the knowledge of the organizers and without their consent. Freedom of speech is a thing, yes. It is not your right to do it off the back of others making them unwilling participants.

If people can't comprehend that this is why Blizzard reacted the way they did, then they shouldn't comment due to lack of intelligence and/or overwhelming levels of ignorance.
    Nobody is having an issue understanding why Blizzard did this. The real problem is that people think rules and money should supercede HUMAN FUCKING RIGHTS. (Hint: They shouldn't)

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Remember when the put a tranny in a 2017 "Look at all the people that play Blizzard games" section that plays at the start of every BlizzCon?
    They didn't erase it.
    The difference being that it was their video, that they produced. Not a pro gamer violating the rules that Blizzard had outlined significantly prior to the event taking place.

He knew the rules, he willingly broke the rules, he got punished. It happens countless times every day all over the world. You want to rage against social injustice? Awesome! Do that. But in the appropriate venues. This was not one of them.
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If your guild demands you slip into an elephants butt and force yourself out in a regurgation then you can't blame Blizzard for supplying the elephant.

The difference being that it was their video, that they produced. Not a pro gamer violating the rules that Blizzard had outlined significantly prior to the event taking place.

He knew the rules, he willingly broke the rules, he got punished. It happens countless times every day all over the world. You want to rage against social injustice? Awesome! Do that. But in the appropriate venues. This was not one of them.
    yeah, the time to talk about politics and inclusivity is when blizzard will make money from looking like they give a shit, not when it'll lose them money from China.

basically we love everyone give us money, but fuck you if you'll lose us money then we don't give a shit.

This is basically most companies these days, they pretend to give a shit how inclusive and caring they are, right up until it'll hurt their bottom line then fuck 'em.

the rules say "if you say something naughty you get punished as Blizzard finds fit"

Very generalized, as literally anything can be "naughty".
    Could you point me in the rule where this was broken?

please do

QUOTE:
    Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms.

I guess now is the time of PR accountants who have to estimate the damage caused by the shitstorm in the west against the expected damage from the chinese wrath. They for sure have interesting meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    They started censoring their game for China bit by bit.
    They've always censored their games for China. It's pretty much a requirement for any foreign game to get published over there. Not just video games, but movies, card games too. Gore, skeletons, or provocative content needs to get censored to get it through the approval process (though I've heard sufficient bribes can also work).

Example: MTG does alternate art for the Chinese version of the game whenever they have skeletons, gore, or provocatively dressed characters:

If you recall back to 2009, the reason The9 lost their licenses to operate WoW in China was because they failed to get Wrath of the Lich King through the approval process, which delayed the release of the expansion indefinitely. Wrath wasn't actually approved for publication in China until 2010, nearly two years after it came out in the rest of the world, when NetEase took over operations.

Every publisher does this to get their games released in China.

Anyway, point is, this is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post
    The problem is Blizzard didn't react the way they did because he was using the event to politicize it. They did it because they were terrified of pissing off China.

If you think they would have reacted this way if he had spouted some pro-LGBT nonsense then you're the fucking ignorant one. Yes he was in the wrong to do it in the first place, but it just illuminates how much Blizzard wants to stay in the good graces of probably one of the worst governments in the history of the planet.
    They did react that way because he was politicizing the event.

Being pro-lgbtqrsv... does not equate to being anti/pro "insert government / organization".

I can't do much, but I can stop spending.

No more store mounts, no more subscription (got enough gold to go for a couple years), no more blizzcon virtual tickets.

Removing blitzchung's prize money that he earned and suspending him is pretty scummy...but the announcers? How do you even begin to justify that?

Pros: Bunch of manchildren applaud you but it gets forgotten in 10 days and then everyone starts bitching about LFR again
    Cons: Lose billions of dollars

Hmm...
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Reddit is a mess right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/new/

complete chaos
    Isn't that the default state of reddit in general, though?
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If your guild demands you slip into an elephants butt and force yourself out in a regurgation then you can't blame Blizzard for supplying the elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    Nobody is having an issue understanding why Blizzard did this. The real problem is that people think rules and money should supercede HUMAN FUCKING RIGHTS. (Hint: They shouldn't)
    Rules and money do not supersede human rights, you're right. The human right to free speech however does not give everyone a free pass at speaking about whatever they want whenever they want, off the backs of others without their knowledge and or consent.

If I gave you a lift in my car and you started shouting out of the window at pedestrians your opinions on whatever, I'd ask you to stop or you'd be walking. That is not me infringing on your 'rights' that is me not wanting to be an unwilling participant, getting coerced into appearing to take one side or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukachu View Post
    Rules and money do not supersede human rights, you're right. The human right to free speech however does not give everyone a free pass at speaking about whatever they want whenever they want, off the backs of others without their knowledge and or consent.

If I gave you a lift in my car and you started shouting out of the window at pedestrians your opinions on whatever, I'd ask you to stop or you'd be walking. That is not me infringing on your 'rights' that is me not wanting to be an unwilling participant, getting coerced into appearing to take one side or another.
    Blizzard are absolutely taking a side though. They are taking the position that the opinions of players and casters are less important than bowing to the whims of the Chinese governments.

There is also a significant difference between a company altering their game to meet local regulation and a government insisting that a company take action against anyone criticising their country.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Blizzard are absolutely taking a side though. They are taking the position that the opinions of players and casters are less important than bowing to the whims of the Chinese governments.

There is also a significant difference between a company altering their game to meet local regulation and a government insisting that a company take action against anyone criticising their country.
    Oh? Did Blizzard come out with a statement of support for China and all their government does?

Or did they just try to stop the politicizing of a game event.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post

3 people vs 1.5 BILLION.

Needs of many always outweigh needs of few or one. So if 3 people have to be pushed aside so 1.5 billion can still play then that's the thing that is needed. Or should chinese people be barred from Blizzard games until they all die in a revolution that will fail?