Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukachu View Post
    Yes. Why wouldn't they?

(Donning my tinfoil hat in preparation for the reply)
    But the rule doesnt say "politics" are forbidden in the grounds...
    Here is the rule:

"Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms."

Is up to Blizzard to decide what is "naughty" or not...very vague rule

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    I am extremely disappointed in Blizzard for this. They should be embarrassed. They are in the wrong here and deserve all backlash coming their way. I hope there is a lot of it. I hope this story turns into something big and their decision hurts the image of the company as much as it deserves to be. Punishing someone for speaking out against authoritarianism is wrong.
    you think they dont know they are in the wrong, ofc they do, but what choice did they have, it was either ban the dude and get some hate online with minimal financial losses, or risk getting banned in china and lose 30-50% of your revenue

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Aaaand this is why you don't pander to China for short-term gain.

I'd feel much better if China's government wasn't a literal tyranny. There are things that even big businesses should take a stand against, this is one of them.
    You can't ignore china as a business in the 21st century unless you're a failing mom and pop store waiting to go out of business. It's larger than the US, almost as rich. You simply put have to deal with them and their rules. You ignore china someone else is going to come in and basically rip you apart around the world.

Not just that but the guy himself broke the rules, you're not supposed to do anything political and got punished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Blizzard are absolutely taking a side though. They are taking the position that the opinions of players and casters are less important than bowing to the whims of the Chinese governments.

There is also a significant difference between a company altering their game to meet local regulation and a government insisting that a company take action against anyone criticising their country.
    No Blizz. is not taking sides...they are following a RULE set in for participating.....a player broke and violated the rule for their political belief on Blizz. live stream...IF that player voiced his opinion on his private stream, nothing would have happened, his platform, his call....he made a choice to do so, they did not they were dragged into it, they were forced to implement a penalty for breaking the rule and now every online crusader is twisting and turning the whole situation for internet points...that's what it is devolving into.

IF you did the same thing here, and voiced a political opinion on a Blizz live stream US side....that rule will still apply to you, now we are going accuse them of taking sides with X or bending to Y?
    The first, last and only warning to get from me...Mock me once I will Backstab you...Mock me twice I will Mutilate thee....Mock me thrice I will go ******* killing spree on you......Have Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Yes. When they labelled "Liberate Hong Kong" as "disreputable".
    Able to provide a link to this statement?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Here is the rule:

"Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms."

"brings you into public disrepute". China is a large part of the Worlds Public. Thus anything said on an Official Blizzard stream towards said Public could reflect Blizzard in a Negative light to them. Regardless of if Other People don't think so.

Here is the rule:

It's hardly vague. Any human with an ounce of common sense would be able to figure out what would be considered falling foul of that rule.

Sadly, common sense is not so common these days.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. When they labelled "Liberate Hong Kong" as "disreputable".
    Well it is though. It may not be to you but it is to likely many millions of People in China..

It's hardly vague. Any human with an ounce of common sense would be able to figure out what would be considered falling foul of that rule.

Sadly, common sense is not so common these days.
    I google searched the meaning of "disrepute"

"the state of being held in low esteem by the public."

Does this apply here?

Able to provide a link to this statement?
    Right there in the rules bud:
    Here is the rule:

i.e. He was banned because "Liberate Hong Kong" is disreputable, offensive, or damaging to reputation. Last time I checked supporting human rights and freedoms wasn't publicly offensive, disreputable, or damaging, unless you are on the side trying to fight against those rights and freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Well it is though. It may not be to you but it is to likely many millions of People in China..
    Yes. Exactly. So it's supporting the Chinese government.

Quote Originally Posted by risks View Post
    Why did the interviewers get fired?
    i saw a translated transcript of the interview, and they were baiting him by saying something like "Say the 8 words and we will end the interview"

I google searched the meaning of "disrepute"

"the state of being held in low esteem by the public."

Does this apply here?
    Considering the venue, the audience and the genre. Yes, I'd say anything political would be held in low esteem. As we can prove with threads like this.

i.e. He was banned because "Liberate Hong Kong" is disreputable, offensive, or damaging to reputation. Last time I checked supporting human rights and freedoms wasn't publicly offensive, disreputable, or damaging, unless you are on the side trying to fight against those rights and freedoms.

It may be more complicated...but your thoughts and the way you see the situation is the same as mine.

Fuck Blizzard, I'll boycott them from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

It is neither supporting or disavowing the Chinese government. If he had been praising the government then he would have had the same outcome. The mere practice of voicing political opinions during the event, in the venue is not something Blizzard would condone, as it would be tantamount to them supporting the same ideal. Whichever it was being voiced.

So, they would ban whoever said the political opinion. Regardless of the "side" it took and regardless of who it was aimed at or otherwise.

They are remaining neutral, as they should. Only tinfoilers are saying otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    Please, I want this now.
    Seriously. Imagine if the majority of all grandmaster players stood with Hong Kong, and people at blizzcon chanted Liberate Hong Kong.
    What the fuck would they ever be able to do? They'd be so fucked.
    I WANT IT

LET IT HAPPEN
    So how many times have you been involved in protest towards China? Just asking this because you are literally hoping that professional players break the rules they signed and protest in a place where politics shouldn't manner, while you yourself sit at your computer writing shit up.

I remember one moment from one of the Blizzcons few years back where players talked about World of Warcraft being a world where they can freely be who they want to be without having to worry about what's happening in the real world. Now imagine group of people just trying to ruin peoples day ,who are literally there to enjoy the world blizzard has made, with real life politics that literally doesn't consern most of the people who are there.

China has been like this for years, why do people care about it now? And why China? You literally have Blizzard games in Russia and Saudi Arabia where human rights are pretty much as fucked. Or did this thing suddenly become important because 2 casters encouraged a player to say those words?

It is neither supporting or disavowing the Chinese government. If he had been praising the government then he would have had the same outcome. The mere practice of voicing political opinions during the event, in the venue is not something Blizzard would condone, as it would be tantamount to them supporting the same ideal. Whichever it was being voiced.

So, they would ban whoever said the political opinion. Regardless of the "side" it took and regardless of who it was aimed at or otherwise.

They are remaining neutral, as they should. Only tinfoilers are saying otherwise.
    They should change the rule to "politics are forbidden"....the rule isnt clear in any way or form...you are trying to make it "obvious" that it is...but i fail to see it in the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Some battles you can pick and choose, some you can't. I need my phone for work and daily life, So I have to deal with the fact most (if not all) are made in China. I don't have to have a Activision-Blizzard product in my life.

Shit isn't as black and white as you make it.
    I seriously had to laugh aloud at this comment. There’s a word for people who’s moral outrage only carries as far as it doesn’t inconvenience them.

Read the rest of the sentence.
    offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image
    He offended the Chinese people by expressing support for a rebellion colony (their view, not mine) and caused damage to Blizzards image in china.

The rule exists precisely to cover this sort of thing and is there because this isn't the first, nor will it be the last time someone has used his position as a competitor to make a political statement that might damage the company organising or broadcasting the event.

Let me be clear tho that I disagree with what Blizzard did and that the acceptance of Chinese censor because they happen to be a big market is not acceptable.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

ultimately just a case of " if you want to do business in country x, you have to follow the laws of country x".

and that's probably why blizz is so pro-active to take action, they know the laws and they know punishments can be severe if you don't immediately rectify stuff like this.

i'd like to say something about the morals of the situation, but ultimately companies make morally questionable decisions in the name of profit every day all over the world.