Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Multi class system (for the alt challenged)

So how much of a stretch would it be to create a completely non mandatory or beneficial system in which your toon can choose, lets say 1 spec of a class that its race has access to, and swap between it and its main class as if it where another spec.

I realise this might seem redundant with alts, but not everyone has the time or desire to level multiple characters and prefer stick to just one main. It took me till MoP after starting in TBC to fully level an alt and haven't done so since.

There could be certain restrictions in place like: gear is completely dependent on your main class gear. Once you class swap all your gear is turned into class appropriate pre determined gear that matches the same ilv. There is no lootable gear for your new "spec".

Arena ranks and mythic+ progress could be seperated between your main class and sub class to avoid people rolling flavor of the month when thier main class hits a wall in progression.

Depending on blizzs discreation they could omit certain heavy out of combat utility spells to prevent people swapping to their chosen spec just for that. Things like mage portals/ lock closet/ moonglade port/ lock picking, etc.

Adding additional permanent choices for added customization is always a good thing for players.
    Last edited by Varx; 2019-10-08 at 03:44 PM.

So... like FF 14's ?

I do honestly like that system more... plus being such an achievement heavy game, people are often reluctant to reroll to start from scratch... so I honestly wouldn't mind such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    FFXIV vibe inc. be ready!
    @OP , but how then force people to pay for race-change?
    I thought about that. So the only way to change your second class would be to race change to avoid locking your main to a race.

So using my self as an example. I main a belf pally so if i chose a destro lock but then wanted to roll zanda or tauren, the race change would clear my destro lock choice.

Hell maybe make it another payed service to change your second class.

- - - Updated - - -

To add to the restriction to maintain the integrity of a "main" class. All epic lore heavy quests should be omited from secondary classes. So no order hall campaigns, no artifacts.

Essentially you'd just have access to the main combat abilities of your chosen spec.

Honestly, why even go into another class when we could have access to an ability or two from another spec. I'd say give us something like multispec talents that allow us to choose an ability from our other specs ability/spell list. Probably would be far more useful and helpful, but I mean, who doesn't want stealth though right?

I think a better system would be allowing classes to take on aspects of another class. Warrior Warlock for instance. While this would add incredible tuning dependencies, it would add some really creative dimensions to the game.

A basic form of this existed when druids had symbiosis. I loved experimenting with different arena comps on my resto druid - taking on abilities like: Deterrance, ice block, leap of faith, teleport. Or as balance / feral: AMS, mirror image, nova, cloak, divine shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Honestly, why even go into another class when we could have access to an ability or two from another spec. I'd say give us something like multispec talents that allow us to choose an ability from our other specs ability/spell list. Probably would be far more useful and helpful, but I mean, who doesn't want stealth though right?
    That would cause an unnecessary balance issue. This idea is not to creat "hybrid" classes or specs. Its to give players who might not want to reroll from their long time main or dont have the energy, drive, or time to level an alt the chance to have a different class instead of their main to play with.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's kind of like if we gave every class druid's symbiosis from MoP. It would be fun, but ludicrously OP in some cases and a headache to balance. I'd rather have the FF14 system, which I think works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by mdawson23 View Post
    I think a better system would be allowing classes to take on aspects of another class. Warrior Warlock for instance. While this would add incredible tuning dependencies, it would add some really creative dimensions to the game.

A basic form of this existed when druids had symbiosis. I loved experimenting with different arena comps on my resto druid - taking on abilities like: Deterrance, ice block, leap of faith, teleport. Or as balance / feral: AMS, mirror image, nova, cloak, divine shield.
    That was cool back then but again, this is just a quality of life/ customise / cool idea. Not a balance disaster waiting to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, give me multiclass. I think if done right could be SO awesome and change the game forever.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Yes, give me multiclass. I think if done right could be SO awesome and change the game forever.
    Guys im not trying to imply we should all be me'dan and be able to polymorph someone after we pally bubble.

Think of it as a 4th spec. You main pally but would like for destruction warlock to be your secondary class.

I think this is how it should be is TSW and FF14 did it best where you are a character and you either equip different weapons like in TSW to change spec or change jobs. I love this system you could be whatever you wanted to be and instead of leveling new characters you just leveled a new job/ spec.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I think this is how it should be is TSW and FF14 did it best where you are a character and you either equip different weapons like in TSW to change spec or change jobs. I love this system you could be whatever you wanted to be and instead of leveling new characters you just leveled a new job/ spec.

I dont know if those systems would transition well in wow, but you got the right idea.

Combing classes to mix their abilities would be a mess that works better for a single player game where you can make a super character and balance isn't an issue.

This way however, if you main a warrior but feel like doing a bg as a mage then all you do is respec to your secondary class.

This would add a significant layer of customization for players that wouldn't impact the balance of the game. Given a few restrictions that ive mentioned already to prevent abuse.
    Last edited by Varx; 2019-10-08 at 04:41 PM.

In the lore there are plenty of multi classes lore characters. Thrall is one as a warrior / shaman. Tyrande as a priest / hunter

But ingame it would not work.

I'd love a WoW version of the FF14 job/soul system.

Chromie mentions that our version of Garrosh was the worst iteration of him from all the time streams. What if in the same vein, our character becomes focal point for all possible iterations of themselves through bronze dragon hoodoo and can shift between those iterations?

A time stream where High elves embraced the nature/elements instead of arcane? Belf Druid/shaman
    Where Azshara's pact with Sargaras went as planned? Nelf warlocks
    Where Yrel's crusade subjegated all the orcs? Orc paladin

So on...

Would be viable reasoning to break down race/class limitations and would allow a person who is tired of their class but attached to their main to keep it fresh instead of quitting. Being able to support "unique" raid mechanics that require certain classes (mage spellsteal, priest MC, druid root, dk grips, etc.) would be an added benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    That would cause an unnecessary balance issue. This idea is not to creat "hybrid" classes or specs. Its to give players who might not want to reroll from their long time main or dont have the energy, drive, or time to level an alt the chance to have a different class instead of their main to play with.
    Oh, so basically just like having a fourth tab (or fifth for druids) on our spec window and after it loads we get everything in that spec?

I mean, sure? It doesn't make a lot of sense character wise. Just looking at NEs, Warrior, Hunter, Rogue are all fine and dandy. Then you have Mage, Monk, Druid, Demon Hunter, Priest, and DK. That's a lot of contradicting classes and subsequently lore. Lets say you go Druid with Havoc DH. You're a Druid of the emerald dream... until you decide to eat the heart of a Demon and corrupt your body with chaotic Fel energies. Then you switch back to feral and then none of that happened? You'd have to be super picky about which classes could mix with which. Pally and Priest work, Priest and DK don't. Then if you start looking at specs specifically, suddenly Priest and Pally mix all of the specs... except for Shadow which a Pally couldn't use.

I mean, I think if you wanted to implement this kind of system you probably could but it'd have to be a complete class change. Back to NEs, say you're a NE Warrior and want to play DK, you then play through a quest series where you are killed and raised as a DK and have to acclimate to your new life. Then say you wanted to try Druid, you could seek out the Druids of the Emerald Dream and they could help purify you and return you to proper life where you begin your training anew.

Though, if we're speaking candidly, if I'm Blizzard and I hear this kind of thing I'm just going to point to the heirloom gear, the RAF system, the XP potions littered throughout the game, Darkmoon Faire, Legion and BfA invasions, and the new scaling system and party sync systems in the world and talk about the amount of time and money we've invested to make the process of leveling fun. Then ask you if you have a phone XD

Quote Originally Posted by kyo wolfsfang View Post
    In the lore there are plenty of multi classes lore characters. Thrall is one as a warrior / shaman. Tyrande as a priest / hunter

But ingame it would not work.
    Once again, not trying to be a super class with abilities of 2 or more classes in one.

More like a swap. Lore wise, you could just explain it where a notable class representing NPC empowers you with the skills and knowledge of your chosen secondary class spec to call upon at will as if it were one of your main's specs.

Your gear would then turn into class/spec appropriate gear matching their original Ilv. Lore explanation.... Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    I dont know if those systems would transition well in wow, but you got the right idea.

Combing classes to mix their abilities would be a mess that works better for a single player game where you can make a super character and balance isn't an issue.

This way however, if you main a warrior but feel like doing a bg as a mage then all you do is respec to your secondary class.

This would add a significant layer of customization for players that wouldn't impact the balance of the game. Given a few restrictions that ive mentioned already to prevent abuse.
    Yes although in TSW you can mix and match any combo of weapons, but there are some that do synergize well with eachother. I don't think this is how it should work in WOW, just level one character and then you have to switch to your preferred job and have to learn/level your new spec.

Oh, so basically just like having a fourth tab (or fifth for druids) on our spec window and after it loads we get everything in that spec?

I mean, sure? It doesn't make a lot of sense character wise. Just looking at NEs, Warrior, Hunter, Rogue are all fine and dandy. Then you have Mage, Monk, Druid, Demon Hunter, Priest, and DK. That's a lot of contradicting classes and subsequently lore. Lets say you go Druid with Havoc DH. You're a Druid of the emerald dream... until you decide to eat the heart of a Demon and corrupt your body with chaotic Fel energies. Then you switch back to feral and then none of that happened? You'd have to be super picky about which classes could mix with which. Pally and Priest work, Priest and DK don't. Then if you start looking at specs specifically, suddenly Priest and Pally mix all of the specs... except for Shadow which a Pally couldn't use.

I mean, I think if you wanted to implement this kind of system you probably could but it'd have to be a complete class change. Back to NEs, say you're a NE Warrior and want to play DK, you then play through a quest series where you are killed and raised as a DK and have to acclimate to your new life. Then say you wanted to try Druid, you could seek out the Druids of the Emerald Dream and they could help purify you and return you to proper life where you begin your training anew.

Though, if we're speaking candidly, if I'm Blizzard and I hear this kind of thing I'm just going to point to the heirloom gear, the RAF system, the XP potions littered throughout the game, Darkmoon Faire, Legion and BfA invasions, and the new scaling system and party sync systems in the world and talk about the amount of time and money we've invested to make the process of leveling fun. Then ask you if you have a phone XD
    I hear you. Ive thought about limiting your options depending on your main and how well they mesh with your second class. Like DK and pally would be a huge stretch.

Perhaps your secondary spec is activated through like a pocket aspect of your toon's being.
    Last edited by Varx; 2019-10-08 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not being sarcastic, I really love the idea. I think it would be more interesting to get a few abilities from other class than to have another spec, but both are great IMO.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    I'm not being sarcastic, I really love the idea. I think it would be more interesting to get a few abilities from other class than to have another spec, but both are great IMO.
    and neither are likely to happen.