Thread: Playstation 5

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    PS5 gonna be really good, instead of the weak laptop jaguar cpu that ps4 had, it gonna have a high end zen 2 CPU.

PS5 gonna be like a high end PC at time of release, ps4 was like a low-mid end PC at time of release, so difference gonna be huge.

I'm excited to see them squeeze every last bit out of that Zen 2 hardware; 8 cores 16 threads with highly competitive IPC, it should work wonders this time around for fidelity.
    Synek - best rogue in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I'm excited to see them squeeze every last bit out of that Zen 2 hardware; 8 cores 16 threads with highly competitive IPC, it should work wonders this time around for fidelity.
    Right.

Look at what Sony has done with the current system and its weak ass CPU. Now the PS5 will actually have a decent CPU and GPU to match. Both performance and graphic's are going to be great.
    My Desktop: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    My Laptop: Acer Nitro 5|i5-8300H|8GB DDR4 SDRAM|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Right.

Look at what Sony has done with the current system and its weak ass CPU. Now the PS5 will actually have a decent CPU and GPU to match. Both performance and graphic's are going to be great.

Yea the PS4 was more like PS 3.5, the 'pro' should be called ps4.... This time however looks like we are -realy- getting a 'next-gen'

Quote Originally Posted by frogx View Post
    Yea the PS4 was more like PS 3.5, the 'pro' should be called ps4.... This time however looks like we are -realy- getting a 'next-gen'
    If you think the PS4 was just a PS3.5 then you clearly don't remember how bad games looked/ran on PS3 and the hardware difference.
    My Desktop: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    My Laptop: Acer Nitro 5|i5-8300H|8GB DDR4 SDRAM|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If you think the PS4 was just a PS3.5 then you clearly don't remember how bad games looked/ran on PS3 and the hardware difference.
    The difference between PS3 and PS4 in games looked like there was only 3-4 years between the release of the consoles instead of the actual 7 years. I can understand why people see the PS4 as a PS3.5 cause the jump in improvements was rather low compared to other gens.

Quote Originally Posted by frogx View Post
    PS5 gonna be really good, instead of the weak laptop jaguar cpu that ps4 had, it gonna have a high end zen 2 CPU.

PS5 gonna be like a high end PC at time of release, ps4 was like a low-mid end PC at time of release, so difference gonna be huge.
    Not really. More or less, the PS5 will be like the PS4 of its time. The Zen CPU is very sensitive to memory timings and clock speed, but if Sony does decide to go with GDDR6 to feed the Zen2 CPU, then performance will tank. It's also worth noting that right now 7nm manufacturing is really in demand so who's to say what manufacturing process Sony will use to make their CPU. Also without AMD's chiplet design, the clock speed will further be hindered. Just because Sony said they're using Zen2 doesn't mean they're using the same 8 core Ryzen CPU's we use on the desktop. Chances are the Zen2 CPU used in the PS5 will be a cut down version of what we use on the desktop. Basically a modern Jaguar just not three generations behind.

The GPU is probably going to be slightly slower than a RX 5700 but with Ray-Tracing. More or less, the GPU performance of the PS5 will probably be around a RTX 2060. Without any specs of the PS5 it's mostly speculation. By the time the PS5 is released both AMD and Nvidia will have new graphic cards which will probably provide RTX 2060 levels of performance for around $250. So if anything, by the time the PS5 is released it'll be equivalent to a mid ranged PC at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Not really. More or less, the PS5 will be like the PS4 of its time. The Zen CPU is very sensitive to memory timings and clock speed, but if Sony does decide to go with GDDR6 to feed the Zen2 CPU, then performance will tank. It's also worth noting that right now 7nm manufacturing is really in demand so who's to say what manufacturing process Sony will use to make their CPU. Also without AMD's chiplet design, the clock speed will further be hindered. Just because Sony said they're using Zen2 doesn't mean they're using the same 8 core Ryzen CPU's we use on the desktop. Chances are the Zen2 CPU used in the PS5 will be a cut down version of what we use on the desktop. Basically a modern Jaguar just not three generations behind.

The GPU is probably going to be slightly slower than a RX 5700 but with Ray-Tracing. More or less, the GPU performance of the PS5 will probably be around a RTX 2060. Without any specs of the PS5 it's mostly speculation. By the time the PS5 is released both AMD and Nvidia will have new graphic cards which will probably provide RTX 2060 levels of performance for around $250. So if anything, by the time the PS5 is released it'll be equivalent to a mid ranged PC at best.
    And then you factor in the fact that games are able to be fully optimized and it'll perform like a top-end PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    100:1 odds that he wont
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

I still dont understand arguing specs these days. A lot the most popular games are 2d indies. Besides i still dont have my xenosaga trilogy hd

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I still dont understand arguing specs these days. A lot the most popular games are 2d indies. Besides i still dont have my xenosaga trilogy hd
    The most popular games are all triple A titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The most popular games are all triple A titles.
    Eh not really. CoD, FIFA, Madden, 2K, Minecraft, Fortnite... I guess you could say they all have AAA marketing budgets but their graphics aren't impressive and not really a selling point. I don't see any of these games doing much with the extra power outside of bumping the res and having more stable performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Eh not really. CoD, FIFA, Madden, 2K, Minecraft, Fortnite... I guess you could say they all have AAA marketing budgets but their graphics aren't impressive and not really a selling point. I don't see any of these games doing much with the extra power outside of bumping the res and having more stable performance.
    https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/top-10/

YTD nothing but triple A titles.

I wouldnt really call most of them triple a outside of rdr, gta and kh3

And then you factor in the fact that games are able to be fully optimized and it'll perform like a top-end PC.
    With the introduction of Vulkan and DX12, that sort of advantage consoles had is now gone. You could argue that denuvo impacts PC gaming performance, which is something the PS5 doesn't have to deal with. The PS4 never achieved high end PC gaming of 2013, since most PS4 games run at 1080p 30fps. I know this because of a channel on YouTube called JERMgaming that actually tests a 2013 PC vs a PS4 at equal pricing, and generally the PC can run 1080p 60 in most games.

Keep in mind that if the PS5 were the equivalent of a high end PC, then it wouldn't cost $600 let alone $500. To make this affordable Sony will cut corners as they've done before historically. The PS4 may have had the equivalent of a Radeon HD 7850 but it preformed like a Radeon HD 7770 also known as the R7 260X, because it used Jaguar cores running at 1.6Ghz and shared system memory with the CPU which doesn't like high latency memory like GDDR5. The PS3 has a PowerPC running at 3Ghz but no Out-Of-Order branch prediction, which is the PowerPC equivalent of an Intel Atom chip. If the PS5 was equivalent to a high end PC I would be the first person to get Linux installed and make it into a cheap PC, because I would insane not to do that for $500-$600. With the advent of Ray-Tracing and how much it murders frame rates, it seems the PS5 games will likely run at 1080p 30fps yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    With the introduction of Vulkan and DX12, that sort of advantage consoles had is now gone. You could argue that denuvo impacts PC gaming performance, which is something the PS5 doesn't have to deal with. The PS4 never achieved high end PC gaming of 2013, since most PS4 games run at 1080p 30fps. I know this because of a channel on YouTube called JERMgaming that actually tests a 2013 PC vs a PS4 at equal pricing, and generally the PC can run 1080p 60 in most games.

Keep in mind that if the PS5 were the equivalent of a high end PC, then it wouldn't cost $600 let alone $500. To make this affordable Sony will cut corners as they've done before historically. The PS4 may have had the equivalent of a Radeon HD 7850 but it preformed like a Radeon HD 7770 also known as the R7 260X, because it used Jaguar cores running at 1.6Ghz and shared system memory with the CPU which doesn't like high latency memory like GDDR5. The PS3 has a PowerPC running at 3Ghz but no Out-Of-Order branch prediction, which is the PowerPC equivalent of an Intel Atom chip. If the PS5 was equivalent to a high end PC I would be the first person to get Linux installed and make it into a cheap PC, because I would insane not to do that for $500-$600. With the advent of Ray-Tracing and how much it murders frame rates, it seems the PS5 games will likely run at 1080p 30fps yet again.
    The advantage consoles have is that they have set hardware. Optimizing for a million different setups is never going to be as effective, for triple A, as optimizing for 1 or 2 setups. Dx12 and vulkan do nothing to change this.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldnt really call most of them triple a outside of rdr, gta and kh3
    Then you don’t know what triple A means.

The advantage consoles have is that they have set hardware. Optimizing for a million different setups is never going to be as effective, for triple A, as optimizing for 1 or 2 setups. Dx12 and vulkan do nothing to change this.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you don’t know what triple A means.
    High fidelity games with a massive budget. So rdr, gta and kh.

High fidelity games with a massive budget. So rdr, gta and kh.
    Wrong. It simply refers to games with massive budgets and marketing as well as being published by a big studio. High fidelity isn’t required.

Wrong. It simply refers to games with massive budgets and marketing as well as being published by a big studio. High fidelity isn’t required.
    And then aside from madden having to hire football players, those games hardly had the marketing push of rdr, gta and kh

And then aside from madden having to hire football players, those games hardly had the marketing push of rdr, gta and kh
    Just because the push isn’t top 3 doesn’t mean it’s not triple A. They’re all triple A titles, none are indie 2d games as you claimed, get over it.

Just because the push isn’t top 3 doesn’t mean it’s not triple A. They’re all triple A titles, none are indie 2d games as you claimed, get over it.
    Theres such a thing as double a. Modest budget with marketing. That goes for game 1, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10