Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Moderator Malthanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Not nearly out of the way enough
    Posts
    5,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Clickbait Mick View Post
    Auras are garbage and should have been thrown out as a concept long ago, but devs can't let go of the Warcraft 3 nostalgia.
    It's not just WC3 nostalgia bait (though I think that's a lot of it). The inspiration for paladin is rooted in D&D, which usually involves some kind of passive aura that helps the party. That tended to be bonuses to saving throws (which doesn't really exist as a concept in WoW), so I think that's why they struggle to find a purpose for Auras.

  2. #22
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Posts
    1,628
    Why won't they just add Empowered Seals back? It fit paladin flavor and brought back an old mechanic for people who liked it. Holy shit just add it back, it involves absolutely no work on their part but just to turn it back on. And kill that stupid fucking horse and bring Emancipate back, giving a second charge baseline does absolutely fucking nothing specially at one god damn minute cooldown. Also why the fuck are they still sticking to BoJ when the perfect class identity spell to fill that role already existed in Exorcism? How can these people be so incompetent? Has not a single one of them ever played a paladin at all?
    Last edited by Hyral; 2020-04-09 at 06:51 AM.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

    "If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

  3. #23
    Warchief Sigxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Your heart!
    Posts
    2,241
    So this is something that was datamined. PLEASE keep in mind that this was not part of Blizzard's original posting so this may as well be gone by now:

    (Night Fae) Aura of Summer: Party members within 40 yards bask in your Aura of Summer, causing their attacks to have a high chance to deal (35.3028% of Attack power) Holy damage.

    This is something I've been hoping for to have for -years- now for Retribution Aura. I'll admit, this version is WAY too strong, but giving even a 1-2% extra Holy Damage would be such a nice thing upgrade.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    Sooo how do you guys feel now about Retribution Aura in Shadowlands?

    BfA: Deals a little bit amount of damage to anyone in the group who gets attacked.
    Shadowlands: Does absolutely nothing for your group. Nothing. If they die, -you- get a short burst of Avenging Wrath.

    Seriously, who would ever run around with this thing instead of like Devotion Aura to keep party members alive? Or Concentration to make sure healers can keep healing and spellcaster DPS to damage more?
    It's effectively what ret paladins do nowadays. If someone dies, they get a damage buff for a short duration. Turning it into a toggle-able aura if there are other options like devotion, I'll most likely never use ret aura as it stands.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  5. #25
    Warchief Beet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Who me?
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Clickbait Mick View Post
    Auras are garbage and should have been thrown out as a concept long ago, but devs can't let go of the Warcraft 3 nostalgia.
    Or they like the idea of RPG elements and think there’s no reason not to have them. the game doesn’t have to be so simple and set on rails. More abilities is cool and adds depth even if they’re not amazing game changing.

  6. #26
    I just watched Preach's video on Rets. He says they are so good he is considering maining one, which is cool to hear.

    He also praises the new Ret Aura - however he was one of many people hating on the Retribution passive of someone dies and you get a DPS buff. It is effectively the same thing?

  7. #27
    Warchief Sigxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Your heart!
    Posts
    2,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Heph47 View Post
    I just watched Preach's video on Rets. He says they are so good he is considering maining one, which is cool to hear.

    He also praises the new Ret Aura - however he was one of many people hating on the Retribution passive of someone dies and you get a DPS buff. It is effectively the same thing?
    Yeah, saw it and happy to hear the Holy Power isn't going to be so much of a hinderance.

    Buuut yeah it is the same thing as the Retribution passive. Except you have to activate the aura, rather than having it as a passive. So an even clunkier version.

  8. #28
    im racking my brain trying to figure out when ret aura was ever good

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    im racking my brain trying to figure out when ret aura was ever good
    AoE tanking as a Paladin in TBC.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    AoE tanking as a Paladin in TBC.
    see thats what i thought also but even then it was just better than anything else rather than being good

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    see thats what i thought also but even then it was just better than anything else rather than being good
    I mean...it added threat and damage, specifically of the holy type. What else would you like it to do? Pick berries for you?
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    I mean...it added threat and damage, specifically of the holy type. What else would you like it to do? Pick berries for you?
    No i get what it does and why its used. Im just saying it still seemed lackluster back then but still better than anything else

  13. #33
    The Insane Thage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    18,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    Seriously, who would ever run around with this thing instead of like Devotion Aura to keep party members alive? Or Concentration to make sure healers can keep healing and spellcaster DPS to damage more?
    Depending on how long the internal cooldown is, this is actually going to be a good tool in a ret paladin's toolkit while leveling in LFD or smashing through LFR for the week for weekly rewards, considering the general cannon-fodder nature of rando pugs. High uptime on wings on a boss fight isn't anything to sneeze at in a matchmade environment.

    Of course, its usefulness drops significantly in organized content, but in an organized group you're likely going to want to use Concentration to help your casters and healers anyway, as you said.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!



  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    No i get what it does and why its used. Im just saying it still seemed lackluster back then but still better than anything else
    The auras have never been particularly interesting. They've had their uses. Not every button has to be interesting, but useful? Sure.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    Yeah, saw it and happy to hear the Holy Power isn't going to be so much of a hinderance.

    Buuut yeah it is the same thing as the Retribution passive. Except you have to activate the aura, rather than having it as a passive. So an even clunkier version.
    It's actually not the same as the passive. The passive currently stacks with wings adds damage and reduction. So ret lost the passive then got it returned as an aura, except the aura doesn't do anything for your group just you do it's still just a passive, albeit one you don't always get. In other words, they nerfed it and claimed it as a new feature for the class.

  16. #36
    Ret aura as they've described it looks ridiculous and useless. Really with the amount of stuff they're stealing from Diablo 3 they should just bring over the Crusader's version (Laws?) where it gives you a passive effect OR you can use it as a cooldown and it gives you some enhanced effect.

  17. #37
    You guys are all acting like Auras arent swappable in combat. Use concentration aura most of the time, but if shit hits the fan swap to ret aura for a little bit, some one dies, you get wings, swap back to Con Aura. It has some interesting skill involved. Not real sure where the down side is unless you just have it on all the time which is obviously less than optimal.

  18. #38
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Yeah, not sure either. Does anyone pick it? I sometimes use it in M+ in skittish, but I don't think it does much - I mean I don't seem to lose aggro without it anyway.

    Remember when we had a few seals and one was really good and it got nerfed by 80%. 80%, until you never picked it again. I think it's the same case - we have some options Blizz doesn't actually want us to use. And tbh I think they don't know what to put on that tier to be competitive with the others either.
    I use Ret Aura in Horrific Visions; a lot of people will tell you to pick Cavalier because mobility is king, but in Horrific Visions so many of the mechanics are about controlled movement (things like split personality, scorched feet, etc) that the extra, passive damage is more useful there in my opinion.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Personally, I think new Ret Aura would be better if it were like Vision of Perfection.

    "Whenever a party member with Retribution Aura takes damage or healing, you have a chance to instantly gain Avenging Wrath for 20% of its duration. This automatically triggers when a party member dies."

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    Sooo how do you guys feel now about Retribution Aura in Shadowlands?

    BfA: Deals a little bit amount of damage to anyone in the group who gets attacked.
    Shadowlands: Does absolutely nothing for your group. Nothing. If they die, -you- get a short burst of Avenging Wrath.

    Seriously, who would ever run around with this thing instead of like Devotion Aura to keep party members alive? Or Concentration to make sure healers can keep healing and spellcaster DPS to damage more?
    Good in PvP and will be cheesed the fuck out of on some bosses


    Can’t wait to see it again

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhozul View Post
    I use Ret Aura in Horrific Visions; a lot of people will tell you to pick Cavalier because mobility is king, but in Horrific Visions so many of the mechanics are about controlled movement (things like split personality, scorched feet, etc) that the extra, passive damage is more useful there in my opinion.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Personally, I think new Ret Aura would be better if it were like Vision of Perfection.

    "Whenever a party member with Retribution Aura takes damage or healing, you have a chance to instantly gain Avenging Wrath for 20% of its duration. This automatically triggers when a party member dies."
    Still cheesy and gives less reason to use other auras

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Clickbait Mick View Post
    Auras are garbage and should have been thrown out as a concept long ago, but devs can't let go of the Warcraft 3 nostalgia.
    yeah just remove all the class fantasy from them and have them be shitty arms combo point warriors.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •