Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ret Aura ... just why ?

It baffles me how this ability still exists in its current form in 2019. It does so little damage, that it has to proc something like 36 times before it equates to a single melee attack in damage. It is utterly worthless.

My first thought was "maybe they don't want on-hit damage" , but that can't be the case. Bear druids are going hard with brambles and we already have holy shield, which itself does a lot of damage. No doubt other tanks have similar abilities, too. On-hit damage is alive and well in BFA...

... and then there is ret aura. It just doesn't make any sense. To make matters worse, its on the same tier as spellwarding and cavalier. So not only does this talent do something like 3% of the dps of simply auto attacking, but it has to compete with a unique ability like spellwarding and a talent that literally doubles our mobility.

This ability would have to be doing something like half the damage that consecrate does, or more, in order to even be considered in this talent tier.

WHY BLIZZ? Why has this ability existed in this form of not-even-mediocrity, for years? Even in Legion it was worthless.

If I recall correctly the damage counts as threat for the paladin so while the damage may be small it can be a big help in M+ with skittish.

Or I'm wrong. Either or.

class identity or class fantasy or something like that I guess

5+ Year Old Account
    Best thing about it , Ret Aura not in Ret Spec.as it used to be Rename it in Prot Aura.....
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Best thing about it , Ret Aura not in Ret Spec.
    Blizzard just fucking loves trolling us don't they?

- - - Updated - - -

Best thing about it , Ret Aura not in Ret Spec.
    Blizzard just fucking loves trolling us don't they? "Hammer of wrath is back btw! (but it competes with the talent you always used in legion)" Enjoy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    If I recall correctly the damage counts as threat for the paladin so while the damage may be small it can be a big help in M+ with skittish.

Or I'm wrong. Either or.
    That was removed, so it has pretty much no use what so ever.

Yeah, not sure either. Does anyone pick it? I sometimes use it in M+ in skittish, but I don't think it does much - I mean I don't seem to lose aggro without it anyway.

Remember when we had a few seals and one was really good and it got nerfed by 80%. 80%, until you never picked it again. I think it's the same case - we have some options Blizz doesn't actually want us to use. And tbh I think they don't know what to put on that tier to be competitive with the others either.

Rename it in Prot Aura.....
    At least if it was Prot Aura it would have an excuse for not doing much damage lol
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Best thing about it , Ret Aura not in Ret Spec.as it used to be Rename it in Prot Aura.....
    But it's a retributive strike no reason to change the name.

If they somehow bring back Seals they should change Ret Aura to proc on-hit the current seal the Paladin that is giving you the aura. I'm assuming that if they bring back Seals it'll only be the damage dealing seals + Seal of Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    At least if it was Prot Aura it would have an excuse for not doing much damage lol
    This whole deal is hellarryus. Surprised they didn't put Divine Protection in the Ret tree.

EDIT: But yeah maybe if it said...

"You are protected by an aura that lashes outa against any melee attackers, dealing # Holy Damage. If this attack Critically Hits, it will activate Grand Crusader. This can only happen once every 5 seconds."

THEN you got a valid functioning ability and valid choice that couldn't be grossly abused.
    Last edited by Deathpony; 2019-12-20 at 08:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Yeah, not sure either. Does anyone pick it? I sometimes use it in M+ in skittish, but I don't think it does much - I mean I don't seem to lose aggro without it anyway.

Remember when we had a few seals and one was really good and it got nerfed by 80%. 80%, until you never picked it again. I think it's the same case - we have some options Blizz doesn't actually want us to use. And tbh I think they don't know what to put on that tier to be competitive with the others either.
    I pick it for soloing and that is about it...more damage is more damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they can design Paladins, to put it short.

Pallies might be the class, off the top of my head, who have had the most things added only to have them removed. I remember they had Hand of Purity that reduced dot damage by 80%. Think about that. You already know Blizzard had to balance encounters around that one ability and I believe it was used to down Archimonde?
    They were just like screw this and deleted Hand of Purity.

Something tells me leaving in ret aura was just to make it feel like they weren't being over-pruned, which they definitely have been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post

Pallies might be the class, off the top of my head, who have had the most things added only to have them removed. I remember they had Hand of Purity that reduced dot damage by 80%. Think about that. You already know Blizzard had to balance encounters around that one ability and I believe it was used to down Archimonde?

Something tells me leaving in ret aura was just to make it feel like they weren't being over-pruned, which they definitely have been.
    oh man i loved hand of purity, it was pretty situational put could be super strong if used well, made tanking archimonde a lot more fun

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post

It's pretty obvious they have no idea what the Paladin should be or how to properly design it. Even with the design in Classic it's been all over the place, and they almost always just rework things rather than stick with someone and try to make it actually work. They just can't seem to figure out how the class should operate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's pretty obvious they have no idea what the Paladin should be or how to properly design it. Even with the design in Classic it's been all over the place, and they almost always just rework things rather than stick with someone and try to make it actually work. They just can't seem to figure out how the class should operate.
    It's so weird. They don't know what a paladin should be like for many years now, nor did they at the start. However, at least early on they got a really good idea.

WotLK to most seem to have been the best spot for them, overall.
    TBC was also really good in terms of 'flavor', giving Alliance/Horde Paladins a different feel. Sure, aside from the different story the sides got, it's just one seal but... it was something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    It's so weird. They don't know what a paladin should be like for many years now, nor did they at the start. However, at least early on they got a really good idea.

WotLK to most seem to have been the best spot for them, overall.
    TBC was also really good in terms of 'flavor', giving Alliance/Horde Paladins a different feel. Sure, aside from the different story the sides got, it's just one seal but... it was something.
    But even that was the wrong thing since it made Horde Paladins better (relatively speaking). I don't even mind Holy Power (didn't mind it in Cata either) but it just feels like they can't figure out how to make a Paladin be unique. They had a nice idea originally (an actual melee hybrid) but were never able to make it work and abandoned that in Vanilla.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sooo how do you guys feel now about Retribution Aura in Shadowlands?

BfA: Deals a little bit amount of damage to anyone in the group who gets attacked.
    Shadowlands: Does absolutely nothing for your group. Nothing. If they die, -you- get a short burst of Avenging Wrath.

Seriously, who would ever run around with this thing instead of like Devotion Aura to keep party members alive? Or Concentration to make sure healers can keep healing and spellcaster DPS to damage more?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    Sooo how do you guys feel now about Retribution Aura in Shadowlands?

BfA: Deals a little bit amount of damage to anyone in the group who gets attacked.
    Shadowlands: Does absolutely nothing for your group. Nothing. If they die, -you- get a short burst of Avenging Wrath.

Seriously, who would ever run around with this thing instead of like Devotion Aura to keep party members alive? Or Concentration to make sure healers can keep healing and spellcaster DPS to damage more?
    Auras are garbage and should have been thrown out as a concept long ago, but devs can't let go of the Warcraft 3 nostalgia.