Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    it was already a thing in vanilla/tbc how can someone with 2k posts almost be so clueless about the game
    You are the clueless one good sir. Nice autofrag btw.
    Are you a Wrathbaby or did you start later on? My guess is MoP, then 60 exp from Pservers. Is it correct?

It wasn't popular as today but definitely existed, especially if it's a semi-pug or non-official guild run group. You guys act like an idea goes from nonexistent to super popular overnight; it started very early and just became more popular as the requirement went down. Before you needed a raid to sell more desirable items, and since MoP you just need 4 people to sell challenge mode and m+.

I paid 500 gold (super cheap price) for a DST from Gruul so I can eliminate one layer of RNG on a 7 day cooldown (as opposed to needing to have the item drop AND winning the roll, it just have to drop now), after my guild doesn't do Gruul anymore, just as an example. As long as the rules is established I see absolutely no issue with buying in-game items with in-game currency.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    I kinda fail to see the point of getting pre-raid BiS items if you don't have the patience to find or create a group for a dungeon that is as heavily ran as Maraudon
    By that I mean,if waiting 5 minutes to get a Maraudon group is too much for you,how are you possibly going to endure any kind of content above that where your new ring would really shine?
    When joining a group you also have to deal with competition. Sometimes its just easier to fork over the gold and be guaranteed the item when it drops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    Yeah it was not thing in vanilla and shouldn't be allowed in classic as well. I hope Blizzard will do something because this is getting out of hand.
    I didn't play in Vanilla, but how are people so sure that it never happened? There were like, 500+ servers across 3 or 4 regions. I find it hard to believe that selling runs *never* happened, especially on really high pop servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    You are the clueless one good sir. Nice autofrag btw.
    Are you a Wrathbaby or did you start later on? My guess is MoP, then 60 exp from Pservers. Is it correct?
    no was just not a clueless lfr brain unlike you

no was just not a clueless lfr brain unlike you
    Touché? haha. Anyways, have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it was not thing in vanilla and shouldn't be allowed in classic as well. I hope Blizzard will do something because this is getting out of hand.
    It was. Selling DM Tribute chest items was also in retail Vanilla (in fact it was deliberately broken on P Servers to save the economies). Just because you played at a level where you never did shit like/weren't aware of farming strats like that doesn't mean others were like you.

Hell, just because it didn't happen on your server doesn't mean it never happened on others. Plenty of shit was vastly different form server to server.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Nothing in classic wow is how it was in 04-06

About the only thing on this scale that was consistent with vanilla is reserving first righteous orb for the tank.

It’s not hard to find a group and run it as naseum till everyone in group gets their loot.

I did it like 2 weeks ago from 1am to 4 am got 4 rings, the dirk and shield

I mean is your point that random level 60s should farm it for you out of the goodness of their hearts?

Personally I’m not a big fan of the prebis selling and reserving of items concept. I think sale runs pretty much destroy the reason for playing the game, but I’m not gonna police how others make money or spend their time online

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauzhi View Post
    Can you guys stop putting private servers in vanilla talks?
    Just refer to those like "it was common to sell DM runs in private servers"
    And "it was non existant in vanilla".

Fixed.
    Re-read what I wrote buddy. Read it really slowly and carefully.

It wasn't done on private servers because it was deliberately broken to save the economy. It was done on retail vanilla servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Well, people who had the experience of doing Maraudon Princess would have been able to construe the context that BS mean Blackstone in this case.

I suppose from the viewpoint of someone never have done it, it would look a bit odd and as though he meant to say BiS.
    I sell mara runs, and I've never heard, nor referred to it as BS. Entirely anecdotal but not everyone is familiar with abbreviations that each server use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    I do not remember it being spammed on chat like this no. It is part of the culture of retail wow (that I also play).
    - selling powerlevel boost / Carry runs (selling Heroic / Mythic raid runs or Arena / RBG runs for gold or money)
    - server hopping (became layer hopping in Classic)
    - min/maxing to the extreme (m+ speedrun culture)
    - cleaving to the extreme (LFG / LFR aoe fest culture)

All of that is from retail players. All of that (beside layer /server thing obviously) did exist back then as well, but never in the proportions we see it now in Classic wow.
    No, it's from private servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guilds sold MC/BWL runs back in vanilla on my servers and during BC I saw tons of trade channel advertisement for ZA bear runs/BT/Sunwell also. In Wrath people sold OS runs for the drake mounts.

Selling runs, clears, mount farm, etc is nothing new at all.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Genuinely thought this was going to be a thread about people selling Princess runs not Princess Theredras.

Don't ask me how that was meant to work, it's early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I was about to post the exact same thing... curse you, broken coffee maker!
    Same... /10 char

it was already a thing in vanilla/tbc how can someone with 2k posts almost be so clueless about the game
    Yea it was a thing, but not in these proportions, which is what he said. There were people min maxing shit and reading EJ, there were people selling loot from raids (and even from dungeons), etc. but it was pretty rare.

15+ Year Old Account
    I havent sold a run yet, im a lvl 60 warlock, but i ran my 55 rogue friend thru it the other night and the ring dropped on the first kill! We were pretty happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it wasnt done in retail vanilla. Can you re-read that?
    Patch 1.9.3: "King Gordok can no longer be separated from Cho'Rush the Observer in Dire Maul".

This was patched to make it harder for people to do the solo Tribute Farm by not letting you reset Cho while kiting the King. Of course, you could still kite both of them, which people continued to do. If people weren't doing the runs then Blizzard wouldn't have needed to patch it.

You're wrong, or you're lying, or both. It was always in Vanilla. It even got fixed in Vanilla to try to dissuade people from doing it. And guess what? It's still in Vanilla.

Nothing they can really do, I don't buy them personally. Run selling wasn't really a thing on any of my servers in Vanilla. Just another negative side effect of the private server culture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Notdev View Post

I didn't play in Vanilla, but how are people so sure that it never happened? There were like, 500+ servers across 3 or 4 regions. I find it hard to believe that selling runs *never* happened, especially on really high pop servers.
    I don't think people mean 'NEVER' ... more like it just wasn't that common. Server to server culture was a thing, like you mentioned, but things like that would have been evident on forums, so even if it wasn't common on my server, I would have likely heard about it from others, or from message boards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing farm runs is diferent from selling runs.
    What is your point?
    Maybe i got up this morning just like "im going to lie to someone today just because".

What a troll.
    You clearly don't understand the question at hand here. Solo Tribute Farm is where you clear the last boss and get the tribute chest and then sell what's in it.

And once again, people (including me) were doing it in Vanilla. Not on a private server, and not on Classic WoW. In actual Vanilla.

Just because you didn't know it happened doesn't mean anything. You probably didn't know a shitload of niche stuff that went on in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my...

I know whats a tribute run... Done many.

And I also know whats the name of the topic... In question. Maybe you dont.
    You said selling runs is different from doing Tribute Farm runs. It's not, they're inherently the same thing. You're selling the tribute chest items and the other person doesn't have to run the dungeon.

To summarize:

People sold Tribute runs in Vanilla. People sold Princess runs in Vanilla. People sold BWL runs in Vanilla.
    People sold runs. They did it in Vanilla. They still do it. They have always done it. They will always do it. Don't buy the runs if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelyn View Post
    So people (usually druids) on my server are selling Princess kills in Maraudon for the BS (apparently, I don't play melee) ring. Was this done in Vanilla too?

Just seems a little lame, but I guess each to their own.
    In our vanilla guild, we never had to buy consumables, flasks, or other items needed for raiding because we would sell runs from MC->Naxx.

This has always existed in some form or another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Selling runs most assuredly happened in Vanilla. I did it. I sold VC runs to alts / twinks for a little extra gold while I was farming cloth for tailoring. I can't remember my exact ad that I would put out in Westfall as I was making my way there but it was something in the nature of:

Level 42 lock clearing Deadmines. 2g per clear - I get all cloth and you get everything else. All quests completed and all bosses cleared guaranteed. WC and BFD runs available to be scheduled. PST

Sold like hotcakes. I made a deal with one rogue: his entire Defias set piece plus cruel barb- we run it till he gets it all; for 50g. Only took 2-3 hours. Used a couple irl friends to summon his ass to WC to save some time. Big time money for a still leveling lock.

This was admittedly at the very tail end of Vanilla; but was vanilla none the less. Run sells also happened in TBC - I distinctly remember seeing adds for Pally / lock mount quest clears. Considered paying for it myself but got a guildy to help me an another guild lock for free...
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.