Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I've seen this on my server too. There was one guy selling those Princess runs for 25G a pop, and that 25G covers however many runs it takes to get you the ring. So if it takes 5-10 runs to get you the ring, you still only pay that 25G one time. Really not a bad deal at all, considering that ring is a pre-raid BiS for a lot of people.

As a warrior main (not 60 yet) who eventually wants to go fury/dual wield and will be all about that ring, I'm going to admit that I've been tempted. Especially since that 25G also gets me the Princess kill/quest completion and a Thrash Blade.

And yeah, we're definitely going to see lowbie dungeon runs getting sold at the game moves along. You didn't see it at first because lowbies didn't have money to pay for stuff like Deadmines carries, but with more players looking to level/gear their alts now (and level 60 mains with gold to fund those alts), I think it'll start becoming more common.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-10-10 at 04:03 PM.

Most people just link the ring they are selling and dont bother abbreviating lol

15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people selling but I doubt many are buying, any half proper guild has their own warlocks running Princess runs, just join them for free

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Where did you find all these rules?
    Most of it is common sense if someone bothers to pay attention to existing acronym that get into circulation. different coutnries of origin do follow different rules on shortening based on various things... but typically shortening would still retain the main parts of the original title.
    Are they official? Do you get fined if you don’t follow the rules?
    Not official and the worst you get is assholes trying to assert their idea as more right and then backing off to ad hominem or troll with stupid questioning because that's how people think intelligent discourse is held.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post

Could just ask the OP instead of being snarky and trying to one-up someone by correcting them. But...internets.

The real question is: What do “VC” and “DM” stand for?
    I'd say the 'snarky' person here is the one who originally came in with the "Check the context" and didn't realize the context was very vague to begin with... but that's just me.

I saw that line, went back to double check and well... again, there wasn't much to really tell cause Princess DOES drop a Ring that is BiS for effectively everyone pre-raiding and it DOES have 'blackstone' as part of it's name (but not the full thing).

Overall it's amusing how 'check the context' turned into 'well what's [insert out of context acronym question]' but the snarky one is the one who pointed out BS being short for [Blackstone Ring] is silly

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Most of it is common sense if someone bothers to pay attention to existing acronym that get into circulation. different coutnries of origin do follow different rules on shortening based on various things... but typically shortening would still retain the main parts of the original title.

Not official and the worst you get is assholes trying to assert their idea as more right and then backing off to ad hominem or troll with stupid questioning because that's how people think intelligent discourse is held.
    But are we completely out of order for saying for example BS ring? I know it is to shorten only some parts of the name, but since this is just an internet forum about a video game I guess it's probably going to be okay. Or is it very important to also shorten the "ring" part? I'm just asking since you seem very passionate about using abbreviations correctly and I don't want to step on anybodies toes.

We do SM runs for 5g a person, not too bad since I can solo that shit on my Shaman already, that is 20g a run , Tank shaman are op for soloing shit it seems, I can heal my damn self lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Acronyms are just a way to reduce typing. A time saving device. There is so much ironic comedy in this thread.

I kinda fail to see the point of getting pre-raid BiS items if you don't have the patience to find or create a group for a dungeon that is as heavily ran as Maraudon
    By that I mean,if waiting 5 minutes to get a Maraudon group is too much for you,how are you possibly going to endure any kind of content above that where your new ring would really shine?

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, selling runs was a thing back then, it just wasn't as common.
    Today, there are tons more people familiar with the game, this practice, and overall knowledge of "why" you would want to sell a run (or purchase one).
    In 2004, BiS was for the theorycrafting nerds that raided; a tiny % of the playerbase.
    A lot of players were busy figuring out they could turn without use of the keyboard.

In today's WoW, where all of that info is at your fingertips, you can bet these things will be much more prominent and remain prominent throughout Classic's run.
    Where there's a market, there will be sellers.

i was twinking alot back in vanilla, i both bought and sold boosts frequently. when i joined a twink orientated guild, we boosted eachother.

oh, and stop being a "didnt do that in vanilla"-police. if were doing something now that we didnt do back then, its not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, its because we hadnt thought of it yet.

and if someone is doing something new and smart, its most likely not a "filthy retail player, corrupting the spirit of vanilla". BUT a private server guy, who have played vanilla for 15 years and know every ins and outs of the game.
    Last edited by mojusk; 2019-10-10 at 03:50 PM.

But are we completely out of order for saying for example BS ring? I know it is to shorten only some parts of the name, but since this is just an internet forum about a video game I guess it's probably going to be okay.
    The major error in this thread isn't the particular use of short hand it's the arrogance and 'snarkiness' some people seem to come in with the "check the context" and the assumption that their view should have clearly been obvious.

For example I don't see how an earlier poster was wrong in assuming BS might mean best in slot given that that IS what the ring is regardless and then the fact that the short hand didn't include 'ring' as part of the 'BS' short hand due to the parenthesis usage ["BS (apparently you don't melee) ring"]

It's one thing to push an acronym because someone and their peers have that usage. It's another to go around acting like it's OBVIOUSLY something and only THAT thing because apparently reading is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

But it wont matter in another phase as more 60+ material is available and mara drops stop being on the BiS list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitoy View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

How are you selling those runs? Can a Rogue solo those bosses?
    yes, otherwise i wouldnt be able to sell them.....
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solo'd it once on my priest, boring as fuck, not doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    I kinda fail to see the point of getting pre-raid BiS items if you don't have the patience to find or create a group for a dungeon that is as heavily ran as Maraudon
    By that I mean,if waiting 5 minutes to get a Maraudon group is too much for you,how are you possibly going to endure any kind of content above that where your new ring would really shine?
    If you're after the ring, paying 25g to have it guaranteed means you actually get it. I know someone who ran chain ran Mara from 47-50 for the ring before finally giving up. Sure, ideally you have a guild to run with so it's always the same people and eventually everyone get it, but if you're pugging because you're from a small guild with a few people with levels all over the map you take what you can get.

Hell, I'm in a solid guild at this point and I'll still pay for the ring on my alt rogue because there aren't a ton of alts in my level range and I'm not gonna beg 60s to run my alt til it drops.

Incidentally, on the off chance that anyone here plays horde on US-Myzrael and sells princess kills, pm me. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    It's all about RoI. Time equals money. If you spend tens of hours doing princess in regular groups (maybe losing roll a couple of times) vs getting ring gauranteed if it drops and only for 25g then its time, and money well spent. Considering that you will use this ring until BWL.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

What they are doing is a gold farm. They solo the last bit of Mara over and over and sell the blues for gold. The ring is something you can only have one of. So what they do is pull you along. Ring drops, you get it, they get some gold from you, and happy times if that's what people agree to. You are just joining along and filling a gap this particular farm has in it to make it more effective. If it takes a few runs oh well because they are vacuming up the blues as they would be if you weren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    I do not remember it being spammed on chat like this no. It is part of the culture of retail wow (that I also play).
    - selling powerlevel boost / Carry runs (selling Heroic / Mythic raid runs or Arena / RBG runs for gold or money)
    - server hopping (became layer hopping in Classic)
    - min/maxing to the extreme (m+ speedrun culture)
    - cleaving to the extreme (LFG / LFR aoe fest culture)

All of that is from retail players. All of that (beside layer /server thing obviously) did exist back then as well, but never in the proportions we see it now in Classic wow.
    it was already a thing in vanilla/tbc how can someone with 2k posts almost be so clueless about the game

Quote Originally Posted by Hauzhi View Post
    No it was not a thing in vanilla.

On my beach, people did dungeons and get loot or not get loot.

Yes I played 400 days of this dam game. Stop pretending you and your gang were the only ones playing this game.
    It was a thing on private servers and all the private server kiddies seem to always pretend that what happened there happened on vanilla all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Hauzhi View Post
    No it was not a thing in vanilla.

On my beach, people did dungeons and get loot or not get loot.

Yes I played 400 days of this dam game. Stop pretending you and your gang were the only ones playing this game.
    Yeah it was not thing in vanilla and shouldn't be allowed in classic as well. I hope Blizzard will do something because this is getting out of hand.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    Yeah it was not thing in vanilla and shouldn't be allowed in classic as well. I hope Blizzard will do something because this is getting out of hand.
    LOL How would you even police such a thing? WoW is a dynamic open echosystem and a free market. People can peddle what ever services they please as long as payment is done with ingame means (gold).
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis