Deleting Accounts has been disabled.

Due to some controversy over Blizzard's kowtowing to China, there's been a strong backlash that has people pushing to delete their Blizzard accounts.

Until Blizzard disabled all 4 methods that can be used to delete your account.

It's a fascinating glimpse into damage control over a PR disaster.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Will need to see actual undoctored proof that they are disabling account deletion, than to take the word of someone on the net..

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cool. So why are you here telling us about this? Shouldn't you be, I dunno, boycotting?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    Until Blizzard disabled all 4 methods that can be used to delete your account.
    OK? How do you know?
    They need to support Art. 17 of GDPR (Right to erasure) in Europe.

Maybe they are wanting to delete their account as a form of Boycotting
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    It's a fascinating glimpse into damage control over a PR disaster.
    So fuck HK, you're just here to laugh at Blizzard, right?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    OK? How do you know?
    They need to support Art. 17 of GDPR (Right to erasure) in Europe. I very much doubt they would willingly break the law.
    Especially with the China thing and now Kotick allegedly being linked to the Epstein scandal..

Makes sense.

There was tons of backlash and people are all upset right now, they can just disable account deletion for a week and let this all blow over, then everyone will forget about it and continue paying Blizzard like nothing happened. Likely the difference between thousands of accounts being deleted and hundreds.

the evidence is shit at best. Some people posted some screenshots where it basically said that "you tried to many times, use another method" how do we know they didn't just type the wrong thing enough times to get this message and then make a big fuss about it on reddit for some karma ?

This error message has been there way before this shitstorm started. I have had it myself because i fucked up with numlock

Most of the screenshots on reddit from people who "deleted" their 15 year old accounts. Strange that some of these had to find a picture of google instead of taking their own, but oh well.

the people who actually did it. Gonna be a lot of tears when they beg blizzard to give them back their accounts when the next big game or update come and blizzard denies it.
    Last edited by glowpipe; 2019-10-10 at 05:04 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    And done. Disabled my subscription when it first came to light, and just got done with the deletion process. If you don't have the authenticator attached (which you then have to make a manual request from) you have to provide a picture of a government issued ID. That's not shady at all, right? Maybe they need your social, and a voiceprint as well?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Is there a TL DR Version what´s going on?
    What happend that Blizzard is under fire righ now?

I'll be honest, for once I'm with Blizzard on this. People are going to knee-jerk react out of protest, regret it and then not have an account anymore.
    That being said, I'm pretty sure if they truly did disable it, it may be breaking some laws in the EU, so that'll go over well for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    And done. Disabled my subscription when it first came to light, and just got done with the deletion process. If you don't have the authenticator attached (which you then have to make a manual request from) you have to provide a picture of a government issued ID. That's not shady at all, right? Maybe they need your social, and a voiceprint as well?
    So many edge lords in this thread. I guess they finally went over that edge.

Oh, and the ID requirement is to ensure the account wasn't hacked and deleted by someone else. How dare they have account security? Fucking Blizzard.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

It's normal authentication procedure. It's been in place since the start and similar workflow is used by most online sites to verify users.

Bye.......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mordog View Post
    Is there a TL DR Version what´s going on?
    What happend that Blizzard is under fire righ now?
    Some dude tried pulling a Kaepernick.

Be sure to buy a tinfoil hat! The ID requirement has been around forever, they actually relaxed it quite a bit a few years ago, used to be changing your address, email, just about any contact info would require it which was a royal pain in the ass. It's a cover their ass thing, since in many cases you are throwing away hundreds of dollars in purchases and they can't recover your account, so if you have been hacked you would be SOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be very clear, we have always closed threads that are different variations of "I Quit." This is no different. Writing posts about World of Warcraft, pro or con, are what the forum is generally here for.

Threads about deleting accounts, quitting, boycotting, discussions that bring in real-life political events, etc. are never going to be constructive or even have much of anything to discuss in this forum.

Nor is there any hard evidence being presented that the premise of the thread is true.

Closing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."