Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Age Cap to being President

So Bernie Sanders is having health issues again at the age of 78.

Simple question, Should there be an age cap for being President?
    If yes, what age?
    Selling myself out below

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    So Bernie Sanders is having health issues again at the age of 78.

Simple question, Should there be an age cap for being President?
    If yes, what age?
    No, especially since people live longer with modern medicine. Let the voters decide if the person is too old. That being said, Sanders voters should take a hard look at his VP choice, like they did for McCain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, absolutely.

The most recent stuff we have on the subject shows, on average, a rapid decline in cognitive faculty past the age of 70 or so - like, to the point where for all intents and purposes they may as well be adolescents. It stands to reason that if we have a minimum age prior to which people cannot be said to be 'intellectually mature', the same should apply here - there is a point at which people cannot said to be in sufficient possession of their faculties.

75 is a good age for mandatory retirement from politics and, honestly, voting in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Yes, absolutely.

The most recent stuff we have on the subject shows, on average, a rapid decline in cognitive faculty past the age of 70 or so - like, to the point where for all intents and purposes they may as well be adolescents. It stands to reason that if we have a minimum age prior to which people cannot be said to be 'intellectually mature', the same should apply here - there is a point at which people cannot said to be in sufficient possession of their faculties.

75 is a good age for mandatory retirement from politics and, honestly, voting in general.
    I feel you on that. I bet the average age for the house/senate has to be 70+ which are people that are typically way out of touch with modern society and shouldn't really be making the laws when they are leaving the earth in a few years anyways. lol
    Selling myself out below

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    No, especially since people live longer with modern medicine. Let the voters decide if the person is too old. That being said, Sanders voters should take a hard look at his VP choice, like they did for McCain.
    They took a hard look at McCain's VP and came up with Palin?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    They took a hard look at McCain's VP and came up with Palin?
    No, voters took a hard look at who McCain picked, thus why I said "voters"

10+ Year Old Account
    No, ridiculous idea

There should be an independent medical board that evaluates the president for both physical and mental fitness. As the current president shows the last thing you want is someone suffering from dementia with nuclear codes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Just some casual ageism from the self-appointed enlightened folks, I see.
    Nothing wrong with ageism being president is very taxing even on the young.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think only in the case of bad health or like Dementia/Alzheimers should they be removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think people who are in their mid-upper 80's should run for president.

10+ Year Old Account
    There should be much more censuses than just age. For both rights to elect and be elected.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    You should abolish presidency.
    Lol! Thanks for the suggestion which has a zero chance of ever happening.

I think there should be a mandatory age retirement for all government positions, even the Supreme Court at age 80. In the future if the average age increases 5 years, then it can be raised to 85 and again in the future should that be the case once more.

There is already a age limit for federal workers at age 70 for some occupations. I think the police may have age limits for some jobs? And I know the military use to not accept those over a certain age.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-10-02 at 05:45 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Then shouldn't you also get rid of the minimum age to run for President? Let the Voters decide if the person is too young.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    No and personally I find Ag ism disgusting as much as I have disdain for people banging on and running young people down like Millennial, I also have a big fucking problem with this acceptance that is ok to treat older people like shit, or as if once you reach a certain age you should just go off and fucking die somewhere.

Obviously there are real biological concerns, and I don't think it's inappropriate to express those concerns, but this idea that someone is suddenly a certain age so they can simply go fucking die, or they aren't old enough to have concerns about the world that very much effects them and are told they should give a shit about is Bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Then shouldn't you also get rid of the minimum age to run for President? Let the Voters decide if the person is too young.
    No, because their are real biological reality and concerns for someone who is too old as well as too young, however the ageism and bias is still the same, people expressing concerns aren't articulating about realities, they are just expressing prejudices based on stupidity and hatred.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I'm not against it

There is every bit as much justification for a maximum age, as there is for a minimum age. I say you get rid of the requirement for an age minimum to be able to hold the office.

Obamas age is quite the perfect choice for me. You can see the toll it has taken on him because he really tried to do it well.

Trump just seems to be getting younger because he's probably taking this as a big fat party.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    There is every bit as much justification for a maximum age, as there is for a minimum age. I say you get rid of the requirement for an age minimum to be able to hold the office.
    I would replace age requirements with other things such as some amount of military service, some amount of volunteer work in labor jobs, etc. We might not be able to fully get rid of politics slanted in the direction of wealthy elites and nepotism, but we can at least keep them from being more of an aristocracy that looks down on the middle and working class, which is what it feels like now imo.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-10-02 at 06:10 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Obamas age is quite the perfect choice for me. You can see the toll it has taken on him because he really tried to do it well.

Trump just seems to be getting younger because he's probably taking this as a big fat party.
    Lol! Good one.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Aside from his mental decline he hasn’t shown much aging, largely thanks to the fact that he does less than any modern president. Dude spends hours of his day watching Faux News.
    if you Truly believe that shouldn't you be thankful? Most people fear Presidents not keeping their campaign promises, Trump is feared for trying to keep his.