Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need a new CPU upgrade.

I have around 200$ for a new CPU(I will buy new mainboard and RAM too.). Which one should I buy? I don't know about tech stuff or overclocking thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is $200 including the cost of the new MB and RAM? Because that's not gonna happen.

Besides knowing the budget for the full set (CPU/MB/RAM) also need to know what you plan to do with it.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Hottage View Post
    Is $200 including the cost of the new MB and RAM? Because that's not gonna happen.

Besides knowing the budget for the full set (CPU/MB/RAM) also need to know what you plan to do with it.
    No, 200 is for CPU alone. If you could suggest a mb and 16gb ram that is cheap and will work for me then that would be cool. I plan to play video games.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2019-10-11 at 07:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The $200 space is currently dominated by AMD.

The Ryzen 7 2700X would be a monster at just $197, however it's already a generation old.

You could aim for a slightly less flashy Ryzen 5 3600 which has fewer cores but a much lower power consumption.

The extra cores won't be noticeable unless you're streaming.

While there are plenty of Intel offerings in this range, you'll be looking at (at best) a midtier i5 while still paying the Intel Tax for the motherboard and having to supply your own cooler.
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

So, this Ryzen 5 3600 is the best one. Which mainboard and 16g RAM should I buy to go with it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    So, this Ryzen 5 3600 is the best one. Which mainboard and 16g RAM should I buy to go with it?
    For memory DD4 is a requirement and 8GB minimum (taking a single 8GB stick now would leave scope to quickly upgrade later).
    Buy the fastest stick who's price doesn't make you feel ill.

Motherboard is a more nuanced decision and has a lot of factors involved:
    - What form factor is your case?
    - How many GPUs do you plan to use?
    - How many SATA drive?
    - How many NVMe drives?
    - RGB?
    - Wireless networking?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    You can only buy CPU for 200$ that is probably not even a decent one.
    He stated the $200 is for the CPU alone, and for that price you can get a very respectable upper-mid tier consumer Ryzen processor (such as a the 3600).

I don't know what it is. It's your normal everyday case.
    I have one 2060 super. You could use more than one?
    - How many SATA drive?
    I dunno.
    - How many NVMe drives?
    what is it?
    - RGB?
    I don't know the word.
    - Wireless networking?
    Problably not. My router is connected to my pc.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2019-10-11 at 07:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what it is. It's your normal everyday case.
    Likely an ATX case, how many "slots" at the back for expansion cards does it have?

I have one 2060 super. You could use more than one?
    Some graphics cards support multiple, but it's a rather niche scene these days, a single RTX 2060 Super will pair very nicely with the Ryzen 5 3600.

I dunno.
    A SATA drive is any disk drive connected to the motherboard by a cable such as hard drives, SSDs and DVD/BlueRay drives.

what is it?
    Faster storage connected directly to the motherboard, if you don't know what it is you probably don't care enough to invest extra for it.

I don't know the word.
    Mood lighting for your case, if you don't know what it means you probably don't care about it either.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is more like low-mid tier.
    Passmark seems to categories the R5 3600 as "High Tier", and scores them 5th overall for price/performance, beaten out only by previous generation hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 3600 is definitely better than the 2700X for the same price, so I'd go with that. It's pretty much your best bet outside of a pricey increase without much benefit.

Your cases is likely ATX or MicroATX. chances are you dont have a tiny ITX
    Most people use 1, you have a 2060, so the question is pretty moot.
    - How many SATA drive?
    Pretty moot question, since you aren't changing any of that out
    - How many NVMe drives?
    You aren't upgrading that, so again kinda pointless. Some boards support the newer, faster (in benchmarks, not really in use) NVME SSD's. They're the little stick-of-gum sized drives these days. I just picked one up myself in a new build because it was the same price as a regular 2.5" SSD
    - RGB?
    It's just glowing/lighting stuff for RAM and Board. Often causes software problems. I build about 3 of these a month and one out of three has software conflicts with other stuff, or is simply incompatible. Would probably avoid/not care.
    - Wireless networking?
    Some boards now have Wifi built in.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The 3600 is definitely better than the 2700X for the same price, so I'd go with that. It's pretty much your best bet outside of a pricey increase without much benefit.

Your cases is likely ATX or MicroATX. chances are you dont have a tiny ITX

Most people use 1, you have a 2060, so the question is pretty moot.

You aren't upgrading that, so again kinda pointless. Some boards support the newer, faster (in benchmarks, not really in use) NVME SSD's. They're the little stick-of-gum sized drives these days. I just picked one up myself in a new build because it was the same price as a regular 2.5" SSD

It's just glowing/lighting stuff for RAM and Board. Often causes software problems. I build about 3 of these a month and one out of three has software conflicts with other stuff, or is simply incompatible. Would probably avoid/not care.

Some boards now have Wifi built in.
    So, which MB should I buy?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

These are not moot points, because if he had an NVMe and we recommended a new motherboard without NVMe support, or insufficient SATA connectors he's be screwed.

- - - Updated - - -

So, which MB should I buy?
    The Asrock B450M Pro 4 seems to be quite popular, there are a few comments about the BIOS and overclocking potential, but since I doubt you'll be touching those that's hardly an issue.

It has an NVMe expansion, 4 SATA ports and four RAM slots for future expansion. It does however lack wireless and Bluetooth support.

If you have a measuring tape, and can get into your case, eyeball measure the dimensions of the motherboard. Motherboards have standard sizes, and knowing what you have already can help us advise you on what you can get.

Thanks very much for answers guys. I will just write down Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock B450M Pro 4 and whatever 16g RAM then go to the shop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where do Ryzen 7 and 9 fall into if R5 is high tier?
    Extreme enthusiast, they are the 1% of consumer desktop processors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks very much for answers guys. I will just write down Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock B450M Pro 4 and whatever 16g RAM then go to the shop.
    Make sure that the RAM is at least 3000Mhz. Anything lower will be a noticeable performance loss.

I'll just leave this here because this is what I agree with. It's from last years but nothing changed that much really. You decide if it's "decent" or just good alternative.
    How have you managed to completely miss an entire new generation of AMD CPU's and a refresh of Intel CPU's?

That video is out of date. Pretty much nothing in it is relevant for the CPU market right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you wish.
    AMD's 3000 series matches Intel price for price in games, while beating them at everything else outside of the super high-end where Intel wins out, slightly, in gaming. It's just, objectively, better to buy AMD right now unless you're going for a 9900k for a JUST gaming machine, or have some sort of specialized needs that require Intel uarch

Yeah, like people that know what they are doing.
    Like people who have the money to spend on getting less value for their money*

Seriously, the 3600 is the best value chip on the market. I don't agree with him calling it high end, because.. It really isn't, but saying that "people who know what they're doing" would buy higher is just silly, you're basically trying to argue that only people with a lot of money know things about PCs, which just isn't true.

You can only buy CPU for 200$ that is probably not even a decent one.
    Whats your endgoal with this post? Did you write this just to put OP down because he only has 200$ to spend?
    How is this helpful in any way?

That is more like low-mid tier.
    Its mid-tier if you look at the newest generations.
    If you look at what people actually have out there in the world, its high tier. Steam-survey shows that 24% are on 2 cores, 52% on 4 cores, 17% on 6 cores, and 4% on 8 cores.

Where do Ryzen 7 and 9 fall into if R5 is high tier? I mean, one of the most important question that no benchmark and no CPU review does is, which one is more reliable? Intel or AMD? In my experience, having AMD and having Intel, Intel has always been the 110% stable one where AMD was not. There is also something called quality of build.

I'll just leave this here because this is what I agree with. It's from last years but nothing changed that much really. You decide if it's "decent" or just good alternative.
    Yes, lets use older generations as an example and just ignore that the 3rd gen took major strides in gaming performance, and has Intel beat in price\performance atm. Lets also factor in personal experience, because everyone knows that what you experience is what everyone experiences.

Also, please elaborate on your "quality of build" statement.
    Are the CPUs falling apart? Is the silicon produced by TSMC bad? Are the motherboards made by various vendors bad?
    Or are you just spouting random bs in an attempt to solidify your opinionated claims as fact?

Yeah, like people that know what they are doing.
    Seeing how we're talking about personal experiences, I can add that in my experience people who tends to buy extreme hardware are people with too much money. High price, big numbers must mean best right? Rarely do you see people who actually buys enthusiast hardware for their actual needs, especially with gamers.

Depends on who you ask. And I didn't say people who know what they are doing would buy higher. I am saying they would buy what is better.
    And no, I am not saying that people with a lot of money know things about PCs. I am saying rarely who does.
    Keep rowing that boat, maybe you'll find the point you're looking for eventually.

Your opinions on what tier the 3600 is wont change the fact that its the best choice for OP at his 200$ pricepoint.

It's helpful in a way of telling that he will get not so great CPU for 200$. Does he want that? I surely don't and he did not mention it.
    But you're objectively wrong though. 3600 is a great CPU for 200$.
    Having more powerful, more expensive options doesnt mean that the 3600 is bad, how is this so hard to understand?

Okay? Nice statistic.
    Its a direct answer to your "low-mid" tier post, and this is the best you can come up with?

What is there to elaborate? I have yet to find someone who will tell me "I'm using 5-7 years AMD configuration without any problems" and by that I mean, I have yet to find someone that will tell me "My computer works same as the day I bought it". There is nothing random in saying AMD is viable alternative for Intel.
    Build-quality has nothing to do with how relevant a CPU stays over the years.
    There are tons of people out there using FX CPUs without issues. Sure, they're not the best performance-wise, but still fully functional today. Same thing goes for Intel stuff. Tons of people using old gen stuff from Intel and AMD, stuff that has the same performance it had back in the days.
    Is that performance good enough for todays applications? That depends, but that still doesnt mean that there is heavy performance degradation involved.
    Software evolves, and old hardware does not, which is why people buy new shit.

And again, stop using your anecdotal experiences. Just because you havent heard of them doesnt mean they dont exist.

I never stated that everyone should strive to buy extremely expensive hardware. In matter of fact, you will hear first from me that there is absolutely no necessity to go for i7 just for gaming where i5 will suffice just greatly enough. No one needs i7 just for gaming.

Higher price means better, not the best.
    And this is where we're at. You know you just contradicted yourself with that sentence right?
    We just went from "You can only buy CPU for 200$ that is probably not even a decent one." to "for gaming where i5 will suffice just greatly enough. No one needs i7 just for gaming."

You know that 200$ is i5 territory right? 9600k is 236$ atm.

I am not trying to find a point. I am giving one. I am trying help OP to not get disappoint. AMD is viable alternative and if that's what you want - go for it.
    I'm just amazed at the backpedaling in this post. If you compare page 1 OneWay to page 2 OneWay, its like 2 completely different persons.
    Hell, if you sent this thread to Guinness World Records, you'd go down as the greatest backpedaller in internet history.

Do you even remember what you wrote earlier in the thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    snip
    Just ignore him. Either he is a troll or a massive colossal idiot. Many of those here. Both of them.

On topic op. For your budget get a Ryzen 5 3600. It the best CPU you can get for your current budget. Heck even with higher budgets it is a serious contender for performance.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup