Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ...
4
44
52
53
54
55
56
64
... LastLast
  1. #1061

  2. #1062
    Blizzard did the right thing. Games are games not political party.

  3. #1063
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Or that the extradition bill was squashed a while back.
    First of all, Hong Kong's extradition bill was not quashed. Carrie Lam put it on hold in the hopes of sneaking it in later.

    Secondly, the Hong Kong protesters have five demands, and here is why these demands are being made:

    1. The complete withdrawal of the extradition bill - As mentioned before, Carrie Lam did not withdraw the bill. The bill is controversial because it allows Taiwan, Macau and China to request the extradition of any Hong Kong citizen to face trial in the mainland. It was originally introduced because someone last year murdered their pregnant girlfriend in Taiwan, flew back to Hong Kong, admitted to his crime but was unable to be extradited to face trial in Taiwan because they didn't have a formal extradition treaty with Hong Kong. This bill has many dangers, like China being able to request the extradition of Hong Kong citizens to face trial in China. Given China's free speech and human rights record, that's very scary indeed.

    2. The government to withdraw the use of the word “riot” in relation to protests - The protesters are being labelled as rioters by the government and authorities and this is being used to justify suppression by force.

    3. The unconditional release of arrested protesters and charges against them dropped - A lot of protesters have been arrested and charged by the Hong Kong police for rioting related offences.

    4. An independent inquiry into police behaviour - This should go without saying. There have been documented cases of police brutality which has ignited the anger of the Hong Kong public.

    5. Implementation of genuine universal suffrage - Not only do the public want Carrie Lam to resign, but they want completely free elections. Several years ago, China interfered with their last election and disqualified candidates they did not like from running.

  4. #1064
    Banned FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    19,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleu42 View Post
    Look it up again. It was a DIRECT quote FROM Blizzard, from their office in China. It wasn't another company, it wasn't some PR firm, it was BLIZZARD.
    Yes, yes it is, look it up yourself. That is netease. They are required to run blizzard china media team. As china doesn't like foreginers sending direct messages to their people... That's why they even have their own version of twitter

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    But their office in China is Netease, Netease is the company that runs Blizzards games in China.
    They also make their own games. Tournaments. And partner with MANY other companies like Bungie when they gave them 100 million. They are also the ones making Diablo immortal

  5. #1065
    Over 9000! ringpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Silk Road
    Posts
    9,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Or that the extradition bill was squashed a while back.
    Much like Blizzard, Lam's government consistently did too little, too late - the 'extradition bill' was introduced in February, with the first protest at the end of March; protests hit a peak in the first half of June, with protesters listing demands that included, but were not limited, to the withdrawal of the extradition bill. (Full demands are: the total withdrawal of the extradition bill, the retraction of all references to the 12 June protest being a riot, the release of all arrested protesters; and accountability for police officers who used excessive force.) In July Lam declared the bill "dead" but still refused to withdraw it, and in September, she announced that the bill would be withdrawn in October and dismissed the protesters other demands. It has since emerged that Lam had to get Winne the Pooh's okay before withdrawing the extradition bill, which rather proves the protesters ultimate point: the PRC is not honoring its commitment to a half-century of non-interference with Hong Kong's internal government (and sets a bad precedent for the China - what other formal commitments will President Pooh be violating in years to come?)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

  6. #1066
    You've failed me yet again Starscream.

  7. #1067
    Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    First of all, Hong Kong's extradition bill was not quashed. Carrie Lam put it on hold in the hopes of sneaking it in later.

    Secondly, the Hong Kong protesters have five demands, and here is why these demands are being made:

    1. The complete withdrawal of the extradition bill - As mentioned before, Carrie Lam did not withdraw the bill. The bill is controversial because it allows Taiwan, Macau and China to request the extradition of any Hong Kong citizen to face trial in the mainland. It was originally introduced because someone last year murdered their pregnant girlfriend in Taiwan, flew back to Hong Kong, admitted to his crime but was unable to be extradited to face trial in Taiwan because they didn't have a formal extradition treaty with Hong Kong. This bill has many dangers, like China being able to request the extradition of Hong Kong citizens to face trial in China. Given China's free speech and human rights record, that's very scary indeed.

    2. The government to withdraw the use of the word “riot” in relation to protests - The protesters are being labelled as rioters by the government and authorities and this is being used to justify suppression by force.

    3. The unconditional release of arrested protesters and charges against them dropped - A lot of protesters have been arrested and charged by the Hong Kong police for rioting related offences.

    4. An independent inquiry into police behaviour - This should go without saying. There have been documented cases of police brutality which has ignited the anger of the Hong Kong public.

    5. Implementation of genuine universal suffrage - Not only do the public want Carrie Lam to resign, but they want completely free elections. Several years ago, China interfered with their last election and disqualified candidates they did not like from running.
    1. yes the bill was too broad, but it is a messy situation on the status of Taiwan. Apparently China can't or won't recognize Taiwan (forget which), but in the end something needs to be done on a more limited sense, you can't just let a murder roam free but you also can't leave the citizens of Hong Kong open to persecution like that from China.

    2.Not all the protesters were peaceful, some of what was going on could definitely be labeled rioting, which leads into

    3. Not all arrested protesters were innocent of crimes, unconditional release is just a silly thing to ask for.

    4. is definitely something anyone can agree with, police everywhere should always be held to a standard and if they overstep that it should be looked into, independently. This goes for every country, especially America right now.

    5. Is just a bit much to ask, I know why they want it, and support their Ideal, but it'll never happen.

  8. #1068
    Over 9000! ringpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Silk Road
    Posts
    9,106
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDaemon View Post
    Pushing their propaganda? He broke rules of their tournament on their stream. If he wanted to support HK he could do it on his own social media. You are only bashing blizzard because it suits you and your views of the world, what about the other side? People who don't support these protests in HK. Right, fuck them, they are not important I guess. Blizzard can't allow people mix in politics into their stream because not everybody agrees with them. Someone always gets offended.

    If you think otherwise you are delusional.
    If you claim that Blizzard saying, "We are very angered and disappointed at what happened at the event... We will always respect and defend the pride of our country" is anything but PRC propaganda, you're a sock (either de jure or de facto).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

  9. #1069
    I love this, the dude in twitter isn't saying anything other than "this looks suspicous" and suddenly he is linguistics expert. People answered to that tweet "I'm also billingual and I agree with this". This is literally only real argument they have but for some reason news outlets are picking every single thing without actual checking the facts.

    edit. The best part about this is that the february post that people are referring to is post about the layoff which is most likely written by someone not named Barack since its 100% corp speech aimed at employees while the new one is aimed more towards the gamers.
    Last edited by Corroc; 2019-10-13 at 10:15 PM.

  10. #1070
    Over 9000! OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    9,402
    Quote Originally Posted by -Etna- View Post
    Since when are human rights a "political issue"?
    Sounds like a "human decency" issue to me.


    Though I wouldn't expect the mmochamp forums to know what decency is.
    There is a place for human rights discussion and political issues. Expressing that in tournament held by blizzard, shows no human decency present whatsoever.
    "Each and every citizen of Orgrimmar is worth ten Alliance weaklings on the battlefield."
    "You are all nothing!"

  11. #1071
    Quote Originally Posted by RoutinelyWorgen View Post
    Posted at 5 PM on a Friday so it goes under the radar
    Perhaps take a moment to think before you post instead of racing to be one of the first few ...

    People get fired on Fridays because everyone goes home for the weekend, most don't find out until Monday, and by then it has started to become old news, with the fired individual hopefully also having cooled off as well. So it flies under the radar as much as possible.

    This situation is the opposite. They released the news on a Friday when it'll sit on MMO champ's front page all weekend with no other Blizz news of consequence to compete with it. As well, most gamers are home and playing and reading and chilling out, so it's quite literally the opposite of trying to fly under the radar since it'll garner the maximum sized number of eyes at the maximum busiest time of the week.

    Also, for bonus points. Perhaps you don't spend much time in publicly listed corporate America ... but yes, that equates to as much of an apology as any corporation will ever issue publicly for something like this.

    Cheers.

  12. #1072
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Perhaps take a moment to think before you post instead of racing to be one of the first few ...

    People get fired on Fridays because everyone goes home for the weekend, most don't find out until Monday, and by then it has started to become old news, with the fired individual hopefully also having cooled off as well. So it flies under the radar as much as possible.

    This situation is the opposite. They released the news on a Friday when it'll sit on MMO champ's front page all weekend with no other Blizz news of consequence to compete with it. As well, most gamers are home and playing and reading and chilling out, so it's quite literally the opposite of trying to fly under the radar since it'll garner the maximum sized number of eyes at the maximum busiest time of the week.

    Also, for bonus points. Perhaps you don't spend much time in publicly listed corporate America ... but yes, that equates to as much of an apology as any corporation will ever issue publicly for something like this.

    Cheers.
    Never got the under the radar now thing.

    For a company whose playerbase would be at their peak during the weekends this is the worst time to put it under the rader. When there's no 8.3 update, no gaming news in general to come out. It's like the last thing that will be posted on MMOchampion frontpage for 2-3 days, stuck there for everyone to see front and centre when they log in.

    If it is some "Trying to avoid media." well I don't think anyone in america thinks media runs 9-5 mon to friday. It's a 24/7 brigade that in reality needs to cut down in hours because of all the useless shit the 24/7 news media runs because they need to fill in the dead hours so sensationalise.

    If they wanted under the rader it would be midweek when they're about to flood about 5 pages of new information.

  13. #1073
    Over 9000! OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    9,402
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    If you claim that Blizzard saying, "We are very angered and disappointed at what happened at the event... We will always respect and defend the pride of our country" is anything but PRC propaganda, you're a sock (either de jure or de facto).
    That is not what they have said.
    "Each and every citizen of Orgrimmar is worth ten Alliance weaklings on the battlefield."
    "You are all nothing!"

  14. #1074

  15. #1075
    They didn't even acknowledge the Weibo post. That's some next level under the rug shit. Fuck them.

  16. #1076
    Scarab Lord scarecrowz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,384
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Gay communities (and supporting them) pisses China off as well.
    "Peddle" your homophobia somewhere else along with your armchair attempts at realpolitik. You know nothing.
    That's exactly why they don't show the LGBTQ shit in China and Russia.

    As another poster said they tailor these to each region/regime for maximum profits.

    The fact you can't see this is hilarious.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    He's right though. Advocating for the LGBT community and all is a massively profitable deal nowadays, no surprise so many people are jumping on board to milk the cow.

    And the best part is: not only is it trendy and profitable, but anyone daring to criticize your doing will now be easily accused of "homophobia", like you did.

    It's a well oiled system. You get both money, morality points and a great shield against any and all criticism.

    Which is why the hypocrisy is all the more apparent.

    "We don't want any political views voiced or expressed during our broadcasts. We prefer to talk about the game and only the game."

    EXCEPTTTTTTTT WHEN IT PROFITS US HAHAHA. HAPPY NATIONAL PRIDE DAY Y'ALL. GET YOUR RAINBOW OVERWATCH ARMBANDS AT THE DOOR!


    Don't you fucking dare talk about Hong Kong or the huge human rights abuses going on in China right now though. We need access to the Chinese market for $$$$$. Profits over everything lmao

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    There is a place for human rights discussion and political issues. Expressing that in tournament held by blizzard, shows no human decency present whatsoever.
    But they're happy to promote gay rights because it's trendy and increases profits. Sure sounds political to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    PS - you might want to update your sig, since the player you are quoting was long ago banned for being a troll and trouble maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    PS - you might want to spend more time researching why he's actually banned. Most of the time it's because his opinion doesn't line up with the opinions of threads he posts in and because the mods of this forum are most of the time a joke and just instantly ban people instead of actually looking at the reason.

  17. #1077
    Why are people so upset over King Kong... He is an angry gorilla?

    This is no different than the NFL and Kurt Kaptain or whatever his name is. Its their league, their game, etc. They can do whatever the fuck they want. Frankly I don't give a shit about politics within a sport/game/etc. Keep that shit on your twitter or blog.

  18. #1078
    Blizzard: Support Pride Day by buying our rainbow colored skins and rainbow colored loot box's. By the way Tracer is gay and here is a comic about it.....

    Blizzard: DON'T YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING POLITICAL AT OUR TOURNAMENTS OR IN OUR VIDEO GAMES.

    Fucken Hypocrites.
    My Desktop: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    My Laptop: Acer Nitro 5|i5-8300H|8GB DDR4 SDRAM|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  19. #1079
    Gay people existing isn't political, no matter how much people try to make it.

  20. #1080
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Yes, yes it is, look it up yourself. That is netease. They are required to run blizzard china media team. As china doesn't like foreginers sending direct messages to their people... That's why they even have their own version of twitter

    - - - Updated - - -



    They also make their own games. Tournaments. And partner with MANY other companies like Bungie when they gave them 100 million. They are also the ones making Diablo immortal
    It was an official response from Blizzard representation, approved by Blizzard. You're trying to defend the absolute insane response by implying that it was out of Blizzards hands, and that's just being willfully ignorant of the situation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •