Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    FF 14 transmog..er glamour.

    I gotta admit..the gear models in FF look MUCH better than the stuff in WoW. The wow gear model design team is just plain lazy..but i'm seriously diggin the gear models in FF. Granted it's a 400 item limit, but that's still a lot of transmog/glamour gear!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I gotta admit..the gear models in FF look MUCH better than the stuff in WoW. The wow gear model design team is just plain lazy..but i'm seriously diggin the gear models in FF. Granted it's a 400 item limit, but that's still a lot of transmog/glamour gear!
    i think ffxiv as a whole looks much better, but not the gear design. i think 90% of the gear in ffxiv looks like absolute garbage. its all so insanely bland, boring, and recycled. you can deff make some good looking sets, but in my opinion, gear design is one of the places wow crushes ffxiv.

    on top of that, the transmog/glamour system is DOG SHIT compared to wows. like not even close its so bad.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    i think ffxiv as a whole looks much better, but not the gear design. i think 90% of the gear in ffxiv looks like absolute garbage. its all so insanely bland, boring, and recycled. you can deff make some good looking sets, but in my opinion, gear design is one of the places wow crushes ffxiv.

    on top of that, the transmog/glamour system is DOG SHIT compared to wows. like not even close its so bad.
    haha trust me, if you played wow and swapped to ff, you'd see what i'm talking about. Maybe it's my FF noobness effect. You're right though, as a whole FF does look much better than WoW. WoW does have a smooth zone transition, opposed to FF with zone lines *similar to EQ*
    I think both have good systems. Why do you think wow system is better?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    i think ffxiv as a whole looks much better, but not the gear design. i think 90% of the gear in ffxiv looks like absolute garbage. its all so insanely bland, boring, and recycled. you can deff make some good looking sets, but in my opinion, gear design is one of the places wow crushes ffxiv.

    on top of that, the transmog/glamour system is DOG SHIT compared to wows. like not even close its so bad.
    Exactly why is it worse? In WoW you are costantly shelling out gold for it and it's not cheap. In FF you can set up a plate and you are golden. So, i don't understand why you say that.
    There is one limitation i can think of, wich is artifact weapons. Can't be put in the glamour chest for some reason. I think it has to do with upgrades, but meh.

    As far as designs, it's always subjective. But there is one thing that is better in WoW, wich is HD sets. FF's are still very pixelated cause they haven't gone ahead with a graphical upgrade yet. Actually, it is in my opinion one of the low points of the game, the graphics. There are some beautiful places, but it is severely lacking high definition textures and there is still that ground texture that freaks me out that looks 3D up close but flat when you gain some distance. It is hell a weird!
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-10-13 at 11:51 PM.

  5. #5
    I’ve seen the gear design, and while different strokes for different folks is a thing, I don’t really think FF’s gear is that amazing. To each there own.

  6. #6
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    188
    Exactly why is is worse? In WoW you are costantly shelling out gold for it and it's not cheap. In FF you can set up a plate and you are golden. So, i don't understand why you say that.
    I assume he means because it's just a lot better implemented. You don't have to individually put your wanted items into the glamour dresser, instead every piece of aesthetic you've ever owned seamlessly becomes part of your collection, it's also just wall way more intuitive.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    I assume he means because it's just a lot better implemented. You don't have to individually put your wanted items into the glamour dresser, instead every piece of aesthetic you've ever owned seamlessly becomes part of your collection, it's also just wall way more intuitive.
    Well... i guess it's easier to unlock, yeah. But calling it "dog shit" is a bit over the top. WoW's used to work the same way with the void storage.
    For me though, being able to swap transmogs at will free of charge kind of makes up for the minor inconvenience.

  8. #8
    Stood in the Fire Sharby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    446
    I adore FF14's gear a lot because it has in-setting and modern clothes which allows you to make so many different cool outfits that work on most jobs, instead of WoW where stuff is a lot more restricted.


    My only gripe is the glamour dresser is ass. I have a house dammnit stop forcing me to go to an inn to manage it, but they already said they're working on that so just a waiting game.
    Honorary member of the Baine fanclub, the only member really.

  9. #9
    I like the gear in FFXIV more. I mean you can even see jewelry (rings, bracelet, necklace, earrings), and that isn't even possible in WoW. The detail on some of the FFXIV gear is just amazing. Yeah, overall, there are many sets in WoW that are good as well, but FFXIV gear design objectively has better graphics and more detail on them.

    The fact FFXIV has no shoulders as well in many ways makes more sense. I mean who the heck wears shoulders in real life anyway? FFXIV doesn't show belts, but that's not a big deal and makes some of the sets look better, too.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    I like the gear in FFXIV more. I mean you can even see jewelry (rings, bracelet, necklace, earrings), and that isn't even possible in WoW. The detail on some of the FFXIV gear is just amazing. Yeah, overall, there are many sets in WoW that are good as well, but FFXIV gear design objectively has better graphics and more detail on them.

    The fact FFXIV has no shoulders as well in many ways makes more sense. I mean who the heck wears shoulders in real life anyway? FFXIV doesn't show belts, but that's not a big deal and makes some of the sets look better, too.

    I agree that FFXIV has better gear design from an objective standpoint -- I mean, the fact that you can dye most anything alone is a comparison one can't ignore.

    Though I can understand personal preference when it comes to it; some people like that kid's fantasy of looking baddass no matter the practicality of it all. Which WoW armor excels at despite the lack of overall customization. I'm still using all my old MoP challenge mode armor because I think they looked great at the time. In that light, I don't really see an equal to overdone "badass" when it comes to any of my FFXIV equipment except with maybe some PvP gear that also look amazing (though honestly, I don't tend to prefer badass in general anymore as I outgrew that; just a comparison of over the top badass if someone prefers it).

    But overall, the fact that FFXIV has High Fantasy, Fantasy, realistic fantasy, modern and cultural pieces just blows WoW out of the water in terms of variety and has actually established a real fashion community. With actual fashion designers designing level 1 outfits (and artifact gear) for the patches that crafters are able to make. People buy these these for 20 million a piece because they are so fashionable and in with each patch. Then Gold Saucer's weekly fashion contests.

    It's just sot amazingly diverse and practical -- save for if you glamour the designer gear into your actual combat gear. But hey, looking good is part of the job.

    In essence
    FFXIV = Focuses on Style, knightly / cultural fantasy and fashion
    WoW = Big shouldered dreadnaught badass... excluding BFA's stuff, which I don't particularly like, save for a few warfront pieces.

    My personal preference would also be for FFXIV.

    Edit (with a few alterations beforehand):

    The glamour plate system is a lot better as well (though it just saving auto as opposed to putting it in the dresser is something they need). Making 15 sets that you can switch to at any time without cost. In addition to being able to glamour anywhere without an NPC if you already have 15 sets. As well as hiding your helmet and weapon whenever you want.
    Last edited by Historical Tenacity; 2019-10-13 at 01:57 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Historical Tenacity View Post
    I agree that FFXIV has better gear design from an objective standpoint -- I mean, the fact that you can dye most anything alone is a comparison one can't ignore.

    Though I can understand personal preference when it comes to it; some people like that kid's fantasy of looking baddass no matter the practicality of it all. Which WoW armor excels at despite the lack of overall customization. I'm still using all my old MoP challenge mode armor because I think they look amazing. In that light, I don't really see an equal to "badass" when it comes to any of my FFXIV equipment except with maybe some PvP gear that also look amazing.

    But overall, the fact that FFXIV has High Fantasy, Fantasy, realistic fantasy, modern and cultural pieces just blows WoW out of the water in terms of variety and has actually established a real fashion community. With actual fashion designers designing level 1 outfits (and artifact gear) for the patches that crafters are able to make. People buy these these for 20 million a piece because they are so fashionable and in with each patch. Then Gold Saucer's weekly fashion contests.

    It's just sot amazingly diverse and practical -- save for if you glamour the designer gear into your actual combat gear. But hey, looking good is part of the job.

    In essence
    FFXIV = Focuses on Style, knightly / cultural fantasy and fashion
    WoW = Big shouldered dreadnaught badass... excluding BFA's stuff, which I don't particularly like, save for a few warfront pieces.
    Yeah, you are correct. I mean I forgot WoW didn't have dyes. But I also haven't played in awhile, and may have assumed that they copied that feature from other MMOs, but apparently not. It's difficult to keep tabs on what they did copy and what they didn't.

  12. #12
    I just wish there were more options for non-pseudo-dresses for casters and healers. Granted I've been able to put together a number of outfits that avoid that but I usually have to use lvl 1 "all classes can use" glams for my chest piece to do it. Here's some of my current outfits:


  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans Aoyi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,733
    I love that FFXIV has dyes and clothing that flows and isn't just a skin. I have lots of long coats on my casters that move in the wind. I like that you can see the jewelry. I also like a lot of the "sets" in FFXIV. Sure, there is a lot of recycled gear off of vendors, but I feel like that fits. That's like the every-day soldier's gear. It should look similar with some extra colors or stitching. The crafted gear, seasonal gear, and set piece should and do stand out.

    I do hope they'll one day update the system to be more like WoW's transmog lists. When WoW started the system, it was just void storage. You only had a very few slots available which they expanded later. Now, any piece you pick up is added as long as your character can equip it. People forget WoW didn't start out that way, so hopefully FFXIV updates it in a future patch too.

  14. #14
    I've always loved the glamour system in FF, i wish we had several more plates because i tend to have a glamour for every class, and my main has like 4 different glamours depending on my mood. Glamour is the true endgame xD

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I’ve seen the gear design, and while different strokes for different folks is a thing, I don’t really think FF’s gear is that amazing. To each there own.
    Have you seen the raid gear designs in WoW? Most are pretty bland, some raid sets look similar. WoW does have 2 raid styles though, lfg-heroic and mythic. I guess because i'm still a new FF player and haven't worn out the *oooooh this/that armor/weapon looks cool* yet.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Yeah, you are correct. I mean I forgot WoW didn't have dyes. But I also haven't played in awhile, and may have assumed that they copied that feature from other MMOs, but apparently not. It's difficult to keep tabs on what they did copy and what they didn't.
    nope..no dye system yet. I don't think it will get added.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Have you seen the raid gear designs in WoW? Most are pretty bland, some raid sets look similar. WoW does have 2 raid styles though, lfg-heroic and mythic. I guess because i'm still a new FF player and haven't worn out the *oooooh this/that armor/weapon looks cool* yet.

    - - - Updated - - -



    nope..no dye system yet. I don't think it will get added.
    I have. I gave up WoW in August. I also looked at FF’s gear. I just prefer WoW’s. That said, I am not saying FF’s is bad as it is all a matter of opinion. Just to me, FF gear isn’t as aesthetically appeasing.

  17. #17
    Wished FF14 adopted WoW's "learnt" wardrobe system (which was only added in 8.0 I believe), instead of you actually needing to retain the items like you do in FF14. Not very keen on the Glamour system by comparison.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Why do you think wow system is better?
    Transmog 2.0 destroys Glamour... uh... 2.0? (unsure what version this is)

    Transmog: Collect piece, you got it. Mount up: You're mogged.
    Glamour: Collect piece, go to a glam dresser (major cities), make sure you have a glamour crystal on you, use crystal to put into the (LIMITED OF 400) dresser slots. Then from there, and only there, can you also glam the pieces (though if you have the piece on you, you can glam it anywhere). You can also make "sets", which is kinda like sets in WoW that let you immediately equip that glam if you're in a city...

    So collect+mount or collect+crystal+city's glam dresser+going back to the glam dresser per glam or making a set you cannot edit from anywhere but said dressers. It's a first world problem, but WoW's is just so easypeasy no need to google "how do I mog" while you may need to search for "how do I glam".

    ...buuuuuuut that's just one system. FF gets a lot of other stuff done right (and WoW gets some other stuff done right too), just, not this particular one. Also I'm not talking about the visuals in any way, just specifically talking about the glam process. It's just a bit of a hassle.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Well... i guess it's easier to unlock, yeah. But calling it "dog shit" is a bit over the top. WoW's used to work the same way with the void storage.
    For me though, being able to swap transmogs at will free of charge kind of makes up for the minor inconvenience.
    I'd much rather be charged a small fee each time than having the limitations of FFXIV system.

    The way you unlock an appearance in WoW is MILES ahead of FFXIV, and the method for making a plate is cumbersome and incredibly inconvenient, not to mention that to change the plate you have to be in an instanced city and can't be out in the field. At least with using glamour prisms you can do it on the fly.

    The system is getting better than it used to, but until the appearance collection part is as good as WoW it just won't really compete. That appearance collection feature alone gives WoW the advantage here.

    As far as the appearances themselves...I prefer the overall aesthetic of FFXIV, but WoW just has so many more options for everything it's insane. Maybe if the appearance collection system were better in FFXIV it wouldn't be so lopsided because who the hell can hold on to and keep track of THAT many pieces of clothing and have them al take up precious space in the dresser?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'd much rather be charged a small fee each time than having the limitations of FFXIV system.

    The way you unlock an appearance in WoW is MILES ahead of FFXIV, and the method for making a plate is cumbersome and incredibly inconvenient, not to mention that to change the plate you have to be in an instanced city and can't be out in the field. At least with using glamour prisms you can do it on the fly.

    The system is getting better than it used to, but until the appearance collection part is as good as WoW it just won't really compete. That appearance collection feature alone gives WoW the advantage here.

    As far as the appearances themselves...I prefer the overall aesthetic of FFXIV, but WoW just has so many more options for everything it's insane. Maybe if the appearance collection system were better in FFXIV it wouldn't be so lopsided because who the hell can hold on to and keep track of THAT many pieces of clothing and have them al take up precious space in the dresser?
    I just don't get all this exageration. I do think in collecting, it's nice how WoW unlocks the item as soon as you aquire it. In FFXIV you have to go deposit it in the dresser. Wich, yes, it's an annoying, but no one is gonna die because of a visit to the inn.
    As far as the plate construction... i really don't know what you are on about. You choose a plate and you choose an item that is immediatly previewed on the window. It's very much alike. Where i could agree? Limited number of plates...20.

    Finally i just disagree on that point. If one changes transmog often, a visit to a town is not dramatic at all in a game with direct teleports. But, that is comparing to wow where changing transmog can cost around 3-500g. That adds up really fast. As you say, glamour crystals are fairly cheap, so you can change in the field. But the town restriction does not bother me at all. Actually, WoW has just the same restriction if you don't have the special mount.

    So, yeah, WoW is better. Not leagues ahead better but more convenient in aquisition, but not in use costs. But end of the day, they both work fine for me. It's not a big deal.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-10-14 at 02:50 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •