Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
... LastLast
  1. #241
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordofZoro View Post
    Oof. Yeah, no. People have human rights simply by being humans.
    nope, you are wrong. there are NO human rights

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wramp View Post
    i believe you are thinking of civil rights, which are determined by goverment/ruling class and can be violated/followed as such - but Human rights are those rights that belong to every individual—man or women, girl or boy, infant or elder—simply because she or he is a human being. They embody the basic standards without which people cannot realize their inherent human dignity. these are set by no governing body and are universally expected to be followed, that is why other countries can hold places accountable for human rights violations and such, although it is difficult to enforce these violations.
    what you are saying, does not exist. you may decide to abide by it, but its not real. you have no rights just for being born. nothing.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    god forbid people speak up against the complete disregard of human rights on a forum where it gets the most recognition
    with little consideration for image of the company or the forum they provided.

  3. #243
    Funny thing about this who situation is...If Blizzard had done nothing, nobody new would be posting about HK. Blizzards reaction is the only reason most of you are even posting. You wouldn't be doing anything to help the cause or raise awareness. Probably the same people who don't even know what Epstein means anymore.

  4. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordofZoro View Post
    if govts didn't exist, then what? People revert to animals? Killing and eating one another? Of course not, because we all have rights, the foremost of those is the right to life. China is organ harvesting detainees, even if it's inconvenient for paid chinese shill posters to admit to it
    you can see this by looking all over the world. countries all have different values. its perfectly fine to stone women in the street in some places, to kill babies, to murder enemies. there are no human rights. its all political. your own sensibilities do not make something true or real.

  5. #245
    Herald of the Titans Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    2,904
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBrood View Post
    Funny thing about this who situation is...If Blizzard had done nothing, nobody new would be posting about HK. Blizzards reaction is the only reason most of you are even posting. You wouldn't be doing anything to help the cause or raise awareness. Probably the same people who don't even know what Epstein means anymore.
    That's outrage culture for ya.

    They should really make some special avatars so everyone can see how much they suddenly care.. for a week or so

  6. #246
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Why is my signature ironic?
    I wasn't going to respond to this thread (was just curious about the topic, it's been popular lately), but then I saw this gem of a post.

    Please tell me that you're serious in that you can't see how this is ironic. That would make this perfect!

    I mean, if you can't see how posting "don't bring politics to gaming" in a gaming forum with a political signature pushing to impeach the president isn't ironic, that's comedy gold. Thanks!

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    God forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy.
    They started the trend themselved when they acknowledged LGBT agenda. This is nothing more than continuation of that. Where would you draw the line?

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    If I were to deliver a letter about helping Hong Kong to my nearest town council, they'd just fall off their chair laughing, as the "politicians" in rural areas in my country are rarely connected to any political party, but rather local lists concerned with local issues. They have zero nill influence over international problems.
    That's not what he said, though. He said, do what you can, when you can. Anything. Like planting a tree. Caring about where anything you buy comes from. Is it produced under fair conditions for the workers? Which companies to support, and which ones better not to support with my wallet? You can change markets with your purchase decision. Not alone, mind you, but if many are doing it, money talks.

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuraijake View Post
    with little consideration for image of the company or the forum they provided.
    Oh no, it might hurt the company's ability to profit from kowtowing to a dictatorship.

  10. #250
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    you can see this by looking all over the world. countries all have different values. its perfectly fine to stone women in the street in some places, to kill babies, to murder enemies. there are no human rights. its all political. your own sensibilities do not make something true or real.
    Corporations are people, my friend.

    Yeah, no. Just because you string some words together doesn't make what you wrote correct.

    Again, from the USA Declaration of Independence

    In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

    The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

    "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.-- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,--That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."


  11. #251
    Bloodsail Admiral Whitedragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Definitely not behind you
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentai View Post
    Corporations seeking to establish global monocultures of placated consumerists that are not allowed to express their political views are pretty much villains who wish to exploit the young and naive, and they have no moral basis to be asking for anything.
    Maybe they have no basis to be asking for people to stop, but they do have every right to force people to stop in their own venues. none of these companies owe the players a platform to push agendas on.

  12. #252
    The Lightbringer Aqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    3,564
    Emperor voice: Dew it
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

  13. #253
    Over 9000! ringpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Silk Road
    Posts
    9,103
    Aaaand... Riot goes on the boycott list, while simultaneously proving that corporations subject to Chinese government pressure are antithetical to freedom.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

  14. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Gamers are known already to be somewhat homophobic with their slurs and insensitive insults constantly, I don't think it's really a good look to try and prove your point by further trying to demonize the gay community..

    Maybe be able to understand that two completely different things are treated...differently?

    And even if you refuse to see that, the companies themselves did those marketing strategies and plans and events, as was within their rights. You didn't see blizzard going over to riot's studio spamming for gay rights did you? You don't see me hacking your Twitter account spamming "Free HK" do you?

    Why is it so hard to understand that hijacking somebody else's platform and event for your own agenda is not okay.
    But @Gasparde didn't try to demonize the gay community. They pointed out that gaming companies tried to cash out on supporting them, which they did in response to your point of "god forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy". Because them trying to have things both ways and profiteering off the LGBT community while silencing people in regards to Hong Kong because kow towing to China is all the rage right now (especially to a company like Riot owned by Tencent, which in turn has direct links to Chinese government) is nothing but hypocrisy on their part.

    And that they get all political about things when they profit from while pretending politics don't exist if they don't is the difference between the two. Because other than that, guess what? Both LGBT issues and the plight of Hong Kong are human rights issues and they are not nearly as different as you tried to pretend in your cute little gotcha or remarks on how people refuse to see that. Other than companies' hypocrisy mentioned above, there's fuck all of a justification to treat those two differently.

    And looping back to how your initial argument was "god forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy" good job moving the goalpost here. That act totally gives tons of validity to your position.

  15. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I haven't really noticed anything odd so far with the worlds 2019 show, minus the occasional sperg spamming "FREE HK" in twitch chat.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Why is my signature ironic?
    He misspelled idiotic.

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    All the companies trying to ride this by saying they won't punish players are just blatant liars.
    At least Riot's honest.
    And why are they liars? Because they took a stance other than the god among companies Blizzard? Obviously if Blizzard's higher ups are spineless that means all higher ups of all companies must be too


    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    That meme makes no sense.

    If China called the shots, those things wouldn't have been allowed neither, China ain't exactly friendly to LGBTQ. I'm willing to bet that the crowd bringing that meme to life, take issue with those topics on a personal level, which simply confirms the hypocrisy.
    How does your hypothesis you made no attempts to even begin to prove confirm anything? And remind me, how much of that support of LGBT during gay pride day was present on Chinese social media of Blizzard? Simply a stellar argument you got here

  17. #257
    Bloodsail Admiral Whitedragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Definitely not behind you
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    obviously not, and it's not the point either.

    but what it COULD do is reduce the amount of bootlicking western companies do with the chinese if the backlash is big enough

    and that is at least something.
    The chances that the outrage crowed even matches half of what china brings them is next to none. Like it or not, most of the games you like to play are funded under the assumption that they are going to be put in an environment to make as much cash as possible. If that can be done while keeping an open environment then grate, if not they will take the path that leads to the most sales, and hope that the damage is minimal elsewhere.

    Funny enough as outraged as people seem to get over junk like this, I would bet that less then 20% would actually do anything about it, and even then the people who whine about blizzard or whoever shilling to china will still be happy to use google or apple or any number of other products that support them. That's why these outcries are truly worthless, people keep pointing pointless outrage at companies are just trying to survive in the ecosystem that spawned them. meanwhile the Chinese government will still be gassing a bunch of protesters who have no financial/physical backing from the rest of the world. Turns out your best wishes and boycotts of foreign companies don't mean much to someone who is busy getting beaten out on the streets.

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    They started the trend themselved when they acknowledged LGBT agenda. This is nothing more than continuation of that. Where would you draw the line?
    On human rights violations.

    "I don't want politics on my video-game event" is the stuff people that don't ever expect to go to a reeducation camp or get their organs harvested by their government say.

    Not that I think all that will accomplish anything or that I would give Blizzard shit for shutting people down. Every big company ever (and some people) abides by the "It's just business" when it's about abandoning morality for monies.
    Last edited by Dudenoso; 2019-10-13 at 09:54 PM.

  19. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    It's 2019 give me a break from that hot garbage. If you want to ''speak up'' against anything at all in this world, never before has a single voice had such volume or power as it does today on social media and the internet. There is zero need to hijack somebody else's tournament or gaming event to further push your personal agenda, regardless of what it may be. Do that shit on your own platform.

    And if you really gave a shit you would actually do something instead of virtue signaling on a gaming forum so save it lol.
    Is there any controversy surrounding his statement? If I were to say Nazis are bad would that be inappropriate? Its universally accepted whats going on in Hong Kong is wrong so I don't really see it as anything but stating facts.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    not all opinions are equal.

    comparing wanting freedom in a peaceful way for your country that's being opressed by an authoritarian way to cutting off people's heads and blowing up villages killing innocents is kinda disingenious dont you think?
    No. It's not. Free Speech means ALL Speech is free. You do not get to pick and choose based on your own bias, motive, or agenda.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •