Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
LastLast
  1. #281
    Elemental Lord matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    "Don't bring politics into muh gaming discussions"
    *Brings political banner into said discussion in the form of his sig*
    Pls read post #280 I can't be bothered to explain the same simple point over and over.

  2. #282
    Herald of the Titans The Oblivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I'm pretty sure many would disagree with you on *human rights aren't a global thing* statement. :P
    I hightly doubt it's a western thing.
    you would be wrong, as human rights are not a real thing. that is factual. by being born you do not get these magical powers.

  3. #283
    WC3 Megathreader Lilithvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Posts
    3,311
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Pls read post #280 I can't be bothered to explain the same simple point over and over.
    Please read MMO-C survival guide, tip #154:
    You make an ironic post, expect people to point out how it's ironic.

  4. #284
    Elemental Lord matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Did you think some black men holding black gloved fists up at the Olympics would help change a government? Because it did, and esports today have as much reach as the Olympics did in the 60s.

    There is nothing wrong with using your platform to protest, even if it comes with punishment. This is how change happens in the world in case you skipped your history classes.
    See that's actually a decent point that I find hard to counter. It's a very hard line to walk really if you want to allow it for some, but not others. What causes are worthy of being 'allowed' to break the rules in order to push that agenda? Hong Kong and China I would argue is one of those topics sure, but the problem is if one is allowed then that opens the flood gates for every dumb idiot out there to try and push his/her agenda, regardless of it's importance which would only lead to a lot of frustration and plummeting viewership.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Please read MMO survival guide, tip #154:
    You make an ironic post, expect people to point out how it's ironic.
    So I take it you refuse to read it then? Then you aren't worth more time good day

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Yea, because the gaming community isn't as racist as it is sexist or homophobic.

    But sure, let's treat all of this differently... because calling out for human rights in China is completely different than calling out for human rights for women, gays or basically any race on this planet. I totally get your point. Talking about China is just silly in that context - why should wait for the official international freedom-for-China day before we're being allowed to monetize out empathy for China by buying tons tons FREE///CHINA merch.
    The gaming community is mostly honest and blunt, while it also loves to provoke for the shits and giggles.

  6. #286
    Elemental Lord matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraka View Post
    Then they should encourage that by restricting it on their games, since the platforms surrounding it have stricter regime against political talk unless it's LGBT. This is hypocrisy if they don't, and trolling doesn't excuse it.

    Hell, cannot wait to see Riot make a rainbow flag posts next June, cause pretty certain this will come up. This ain't going away anytime soon.
    I don't see that as hypocrisy really as how can you effectively enforce such a rule in a mmo with millions of players at any given moment. You would need active GMs doing nothing, but monitor all forms of public chat 24/7 for each individual server and that really isn't a viable option I imagine.

    I agree with you though in the sense that they should try to be more consistent about it in their products as well as in their events.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    No I completely understand the ''irony'' about it that people think they see. It's low hanging fruit for me to quickly see who is a bit simple really in that if I go to a venue then that venue is not for me to change into whatever 'message' or cause I feel is worthy. If Blizz wants to have an LGBT themed tournament then that is their prerogative, and if MMO-C wants to allow for political signatures on their site then that is also their prerogative, but what isn't right is going to an event with false pretenses to further push your agenda against the wishes of the company that allowed you to be a part of their big platform. I have never said to keep politics out of video games in general , nor have I ever said that we should keep politics out of everything, only that you shouldn't hijack somebody else's platform to push your agenda, regardless of what it may be.

    Everybody that has said something similar to you has been the real comedy gold and I thank my sig for showcasing how many are ready to take that low-hanging fruit lol.
    Hey, if your bait of a signature gives you a chuckle then more power to you. If you think it makes you feel superior over other people because people call you out on it, welp... that's a personal problem, and one I don't plan on addressing in any sort of detail. Good luck with that.

    But the fact you are calling people out for putting political messages in gaming, while using a political based signature on a gaming forum is ironic at best, and hypocritical at worst. So which is it? Are you posting that to be a hypocrite, or are you bluntly ignorant to that fact you are being one? Pick one; you cannot have your cake and eat it, too, in this scenario.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2019-10-14 at 12:14 AM. Reason: typos, lol

  8. #288
    WC3 Megathreader Lilithvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Posts
    3,311
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    you would be wrong, as human rights are not a real thing. that is factual. by being born you do not get these magical powers.
    So I take it you'd gladly take people treating you like dog crap?

  9. #289
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I'm pretty sure many would disagree with you on *human rights aren't a global thing* statement. :P
    I hightly doubt it's a western thing.
    You can doubt all you want. But when People talk about "human Rights" they are 99% of the time talking about the "rights" they have in the Western Country they are from.

    Very few non-Western Countries have the same Human Rights that Western Countries do. They may have a few but rarely do they cover the entire spectrum. It's the reason Western Countries are so highly sought after to immigrate to.

  10. #290
    Elemental Lord matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Hey, if your bait of a signature gives you a chuckle then more power to you. If you think it makes you feel superior over other people because people call you out on it, welp... that's a personal problem, and one I don't plan on addressing in any sort of detail. Good luck with that.

    But the fact you are calling people out for putting political messages in gaming, while using a political based signature on a gaming forum is ironic at best, and hypocritical at worst. So which is it? Are you posting that to be a hypocrite, or are to bluntly ignorant to that fact you are being one? Pick one; you cannot have your cake and eat it, too, in this scenario.
    It doesn't. I only have it to irke the resident trolls that frequent the Gen-OT and political forums, I'm only in this thread cuz it's political in nature and doesn't even belong in this specific forum, but here we are /shrug. And I have not yet called out anybody for putting political messages in gaming that is where your understanding of it all betrays you. If you want to actually understand then I have several posts in this thread that can help you do just that, but I honestly don't expect as much so I will just say agree to disagree?

    You want to think Im a hypocrite and I want to think that you are only allowing yourself to see half the picture (stubbornly) in order to nurture that viewpoint. To each his own.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Actually it doesn't. Free speech means you can speak freely without your covernment being able to criminally prosecute you about what you say.
    You missed the earlier post that lead to that one. Blizzard is modelling free speech using an all-or-nothing approach. It allows nothing in regards to political messages so it does not have to allow every political message.

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    It doesn't. I only have it to irke the resident trolls that frequent the Gen-OT and political forums, I'm only in this thread cuz it's political in nature and doesn't even belong in this specific forum, but here we are /shrug. And I have not yet called out anybody for putting political messages in gaming that is where your understanding of it all betrays you. If you want to actually understand then I have several posts in this thread that can help you do just that, but I honestly don't expect as much so I will just say agree to disagree?

    You want to think Im a hypocrite and I want to think that you are only allowing yourself to see half the picture (stubbornly) in order to nurture that viewpoint. To each his own.
    Uh huh. Your past posts clearly show this and free you from being seen as a hypocrite in any way, shape, form, or fashion. You're just here to outsmart all of us 'simple' posters.

    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    And I have not yet called out anybody for putting political messages in gaming that is where your understanding of it all betrays you.
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    God forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy.
    OK, I believe you. Obviously not a hypocrite, and you clearly didn't complain about having an environment free from politics while bring politics into a gaming forum with your signature that's "just there to irk trolls". Uh huh.

    For the record, I don't really care about your political opinion, because politics in America is treated like a spectator sport these days anyways, especially on the internet. I just thought it was ironic, given the context. And my friend, you have taken this to a whole new level, so thanks for that!
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2019-10-14 at 12:24 AM. Reason: elaborating

  13. #293
    Elemental Lord matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Uh huh. Your past posts clearly show this and free you from being seen as a hypocrite in any way, shape, form, or fashion. You're just here to outsmart all of us 'simple' posters.
    No I'm here to discuss the topic. You people that keep quoting me going, ''hur dur ironic!'' are the ones trying to 'outsmart us simple posters' lol? And those 2 quotes do not contradict each other what even?

    You have a nice day it's obvious which one of us has no desire to discuss the actual topic at hand.

  14. #294
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Did you think some black men holding black gloved fists up at the Olympics would help change a government? Because it did, and esports today have as much reach as the Olympics did in the 60s.

    There is nothing wrong with using your platform to protest, even if it comes with punishment. This is how change happens in the world in case you skipped your history classes.
    That comparison is pretty weak. Protest at Blizzcon all you want. It will most likely only be seen as a disliking of the company alone. For the chinese government to change it will most likely take a civil war, a massive economic crisis or the entire political elite to kick the bucket.

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    That comparison is pretty weak.
    It's only weak to you because you're mad it's true.

    People that use their platform to speak for what they believe in should be applauded, even if they are punished for doing so. I'm sorry you never felt such conviction in your life and instead would rather tow lines but some people won't.

  16. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    No I'm here to discuss the topic. You people that keep quoting me going, ''hur dur ironic!'' are the ones trying to 'outsmart us simple posters' lol? And those 2 quotes do not contradict each other what even?

    You have a nice day it's obvious which one of us has no desire to discuss the actual topic at hand.
    Maybe you should change your signature so that your opinion actually aligns with your appearance? Frankly, I suspect you desire this, but I'm not here to make you feel bad. I'm just here to call you out on bashing this guy over politics while doing something similar with your signature. Who cares why, you still do it so it's still there. You can't pretend you don't. Sorry.

    You are right that I am not talking about the topic at hand, here, but it doesn't absolve you of that fact. I do admit I shouldn't be making as big of a deal as I have been, but it doesn't change the fact that you are pretending to be superior and talking down to others while having a signature that's literally trollbait that is, ironically, being used in a way you didn't intend against you. I'd call that karma, to be honest.

    Well, have a good one.

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    it might change how western companies interact with them.
    and that's at least something.

    - - - Updated - - -



    it would be if noone traded with them. but people are greedy shits.
    But that's countries. We're talking about businesses, that DON'T trade with China. Blizzard, Riot, et al. give NO money, goods, or services to the Chinese Gov't. These companies giving the middle finger to the gov't ONLY serves to hurt the company and the people; the Gov't isn't affected at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

  18. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    You missed the earlier post that lead to that one. Blizzard is modelling free speech using an all-or-nothing approach. It allows nothing in regards to political messages so it does not have to allow every political message.
    You missed the point again. Blizzard is private entity, so free speech doesn't apply to them when the message is delivered in their platform. There is no such thing as free speech in within private entities. These are the facts.

    But I'm going to entertain myself and argue with what you just said. Earlier Blizzard has only supported Pride day which is celebration of people with different sexual orientations having same human rights. So is sexual orientation something that is political topic or basic human right?
    What Blitzchung said on the stream wasn't about human rights. Hong Kong protests are about disputes between agreements of two regions, Hong Kong and China. At this point everyone should have read what the actual dispute and demands are so I'm not going to repeat those. I think we can all agree that there are human rights issues happening in Hong Kong but the main cause of those is political dispute rather than human rights issue.

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlokh View Post
    I didnt need blitzchung to tell me "china bad, freedom for HK". Thos of us who are interested in other countries' politics and conflicts dont need a hearthstone streamer to inform us. And those who didn't know about it its because they aren't interested. They just want to appear empathic and pretend that they care.
    Perhaps you didn't, but there are countless gamers that are either unaware (as its something on their periphery) or didn't have a more personal connection to the story, through a fellow gamer.

    Either way, its irrelevant. As I said, here we are talking about it, increasing the visibility of the issue, that alone has some domino effects. For example, the NBA incident might not have caused that much of a stir however the NBA incident, with the South Park incident, with the Hearthstone incident all together present a credible case to politicians for increased scrutiny of China.

    Finally, faux outrage on the part of a larger or more powerful group to feign solidarity with a less powerful group can still be a catalyst for change. I can't imagine *all* people who contributed towards civil rights legislation for example were enthusiastic street protesters, but they still contributed as it was *seen* as the right thing to do.

  20. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I'm pretty sure many would disagree with you on *human rights aren't a global thing* statement. :P
    I hightly doubt it's a western thing.
    Well lets count countries which aren't western cultures and how many of those actually aknowledge and follow them. Most african countries really don't, russia doesn't, most of arabic countries doesn't, israel doesn't t equally, Indian is a mixed bag but most people don't really have the benefit of"human right", most of southern america has an extreme problem with human right, countries in Indochinese Peninsula have an extreme problem with human right and ofc china and north-korea. thats easily over half of the world.

    So they maybe aknowledged by nearly every country but only western countries really follow them which makes "western human/citizen right" more or less.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •