Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentai View Post
    Corporations seeking to establish global monocultures of placated consumerists that are not allowed to express their political views are pretty much villains who wish to exploit the young and naive, and they have no moral basis to be asking for anything.
    Maybe they have no basis to be asking for people to stop, but they do have every right to force people to stop in their own venues. none of these companies owe the players a platform to push agendas on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Emperor voice: Dew it
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaaand... Riot goes on the boycott list, while simultaneously proving that corporations subject to Chinese government pressure are antithetical to freedom.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Gamers are known already to be somewhat homophobic with their slurs and insensitive insults constantly, I don't think it's really a good look to try and prove your point by further trying to demonize the gay community..

Maybe be able to understand that two completely different things are treated...differently?

And even if you refuse to see that, the companies themselves did those marketing strategies and plans and events, as was within their rights. You didn't see blizzard going over to riot's studio spamming for gay rights did you? You don't see me hacking your Twitter account spamming "Free HK" do you?

Why is it so hard to understand that hijacking somebody else's platform and event for your own agenda is not okay.
    But @Gasparde didn't try to demonize the gay community. They pointed out that gaming companies tried to cash out on supporting them, which they did in response to your point of "god forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy". Because them trying to have things both ways and profiteering off the LGBT community while silencing people in regards to Hong Kong because kow towing to China is all the rage right now (especially to a company like Riot owned by Tencent, which in turn has direct links to Chinese government) is nothing but hypocrisy on their part.

And that they get all political about things when they profit from while pretending politics don't exist if they don't is the difference between the two. Because other than that, guess what? Both LGBT issues and the plight of Hong Kong are human rights issues and they are not nearly as different as you tried to pretend in your cute little gotcha or remarks on how people refuse to see that. Other than companies' hypocrisy mentioned above, there's fuck all of a justification to treat those two differently.

And looping back to how your initial argument was "god forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy" good job moving the goalpost here. That act totally gives tons of validity to your position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I haven't really noticed anything odd so far with the worlds 2019 show, minus the occasional sperg spamming "FREE HK" in twitch chat.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is my signature ironic?
    He misspelled idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    All the companies trying to ride this by saying they won't punish players are just blatant liars.
    At least Riot's honest.
    And why are they liars? Because they took a stance other than the god among companies Blizzard? Obviously if Blizzard's higher ups are spineless that means all higher ups of all companies must be too

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    That meme makes no sense.

If China called the shots, those things wouldn't have been allowed neither, China ain't exactly friendly to LGBTQ. I'm willing to bet that the crowd bringing that meme to life, take issue with those topics on a personal level, which simply confirms the hypocrisy.
    How does your hypothesis you made no attempts to even begin to prove confirm anything? And remind me, how much of that support of LGBT during gay pride day was present on Chinese social media of Blizzard? Simply a stellar argument you got here
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    obviously not, and it's not the point either.

but what it COULD do is reduce the amount of bootlicking western companies do with the chinese if the backlash is big enough

and that is at least something.
    The chances that the outrage crowed even matches half of what china brings them is next to none. Like it or not, most of the games you like to play are funded under the assumption that they are going to be put in an environment to make as much cash as possible. If that can be done while keeping an open environment then grate, if not they will take the path that leads to the most sales, and hope that the damage is minimal elsewhere.

Funny enough as outraged as people seem to get over junk like this, I would bet that less then 20% would actually do anything about it, and even then the people who whine about blizzard or whoever shilling to china will still be happy to use google or apple or any number of other products that support them. That's why these outcries are truly worthless, people keep pointing pointless outrage at companies are just trying to survive in the ecosystem that spawned them. meanwhile the Chinese government will still be gassing a bunch of protesters who have no financial/physical backing from the rest of the world. Turns out your best wishes and boycotts of foreign companies don't mean much to someone who is busy getting beaten out on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    They started the trend themselved when they acknowledged LGBT agenda. This is nothing more than continuation of that. Where would you draw the line?
    On human rights violations.

"I don't want politics on my video-game event" is the stuff people that don't ever expect to go to a reeducation camp or get their organs harvested by their government say.

Not that I think all that will accomplish anything or that I would give Blizzard shit for shutting people down. Every big company ever (and some people) abides by the "It's just business" when it's about abandoning morality for monies.
    Last edited by Dudenoso; 2019-10-13 at 09:54 PM.

It's 2019 give me a break from that hot garbage. If you want to ''speak up'' against anything at all in this world, never before has a single voice had such volume or power as it does today on social media and the internet. There is zero need to hijack somebody else's tournament or gaming event to further push your personal agenda, regardless of what it may be. Do that shit on your own platform.

And if you really gave a shit you would actually do something instead of virtue signaling on a gaming forum so save it lol.
    Is there any controversy surrounding his statement? If I were to say Nazis are bad would that be inappropriate? Its universally accepted whats going on in Hong Kong is wrong so I don't really see it as anything but stating facts.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    not all opinions are equal.

comparing wanting freedom in a peaceful way for your country that's being opressed by an authoritarian way to cutting off people's heads and blowing up villages killing innocents is kinda disingenious dont you think?
    No. It's not. Free Speech means ALL Speech is free. You do not get to pick and choose based on your own bias, motive, or agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    No. It's not. Free Speech means ALL Speech is free. You do not get to pick and choose based on your own bias, motive, or agenda.
    Actually it doesn't. Free speech means you can speak freely without your covernment being able to criminally prosecute you about what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofZoro View Post
    Corporations are people, my friend.

Yeah, no. Just because you string some words together doesn't make what you wrote correct.

Again, from the USA Declaration of Independence
    Thats just USA politics. China does not agree. Lebanon does not agree. South Africa does not agree. Many other countries do not agree. Add on to that, MILLIONS of individuals do not agree. It is a FACT that there are NO HUMAN RIGHTS. That is not a real thing. Just projections from other governments and individuals.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    When developers put money ahead of ethics, you know the gaming industry is fucked. They all seem to only care about those sweet China bucks rather than doing the right thing. They are so afraid of pissing off the Chinese that they won't be ethical in allowing players freedom of speech. Fuck China and fuck greed

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Aaaand... Riot goes on the boycott list, while simultaneously proving that corporations subject to Chinese government pressure are antithetical to freedom.
    they are a Chinese company lmfao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    they are a Chinese company lmfao
    Riot is in LA - they're a United States company; they are a wholly owned subsidiary of TenCent, which is the problem and the point.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Semi-OT but god i hate that guy 'babyface'

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    Thats just USA politics. China does not agree. Lebanon does not agree. South Africa does not agree. Many other countries do not agree. Add on to that, MILLIONS of individuals do not agree. It is a FACT that there are NO HUMAN RIGHTS. That is not a real thing. Just projections from other governments and individuals.
    You don't believe that human rights are a thing? That's an oof.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Eh, not yet had a political conflict induced through a game without outside interference of another player.
    Haven't you played Dark Souls???? It has heavy political messages secretly riddled throughout it's plot.

/s

God forbid video game companies ask for an environment free from politics so we can all enjoy the thing or event we came to enjoy.
    I love how people act like voicing your opinion on serious issues, or protesting, shouldn't inconvenience others. That's the entire point of a protest, to be an inconvenience so as to bring attention to an issue.

You probably would've been the white guy in the 60's telling MLK "I sympathize with your plight, but do you have to do your sit-in at this diner? Can't you do it somewhere else that won't bother anyone? We just want to have lunch, not worry about politics."
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus
    A thread about how hard it is being a white dude is not really a reasonable topic.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    You don't believe that human rights are a thing? That's an oof.
    they are not a thing. not in the slightest.