Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    The sad part is many here think if you don't follow their instructions to the letter then that deserves immediate execution.
    It reminds of that video of a guy that was told to keep his hands up and to back up towards officers on his knees. They’re screaming and yelling at him, telling him they’ll shoot him... he’s freaked the the fuck out and falls forward and tries to catch himself with his hands (a normal reaction) and the cops shoot him because they think he went to “reach” for something.

That freaks me out. Under extreme fear and stress like that, I could see myself messing up, and I don’t want to pay for it with my life.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It reminds of that video of a guy that was told to keep his hands up and to back up towards officers on his knees. They’re screaming and yelling at him, telling him they’ll shoot him... he’s freaked the the fuck out and falls forward and tries to catch himself with his hands (a normal reaction) and the cops shoot him because they think he went to “reach” for something.

That freaks me out. Under extreme fear and stress like that, I could see myself messing up, and I don’t want to pay for it with my life.
    A couple of years ago I'd have seen this concern as ridiculous. Now it strikes me as perfectly reasonable. Cops seem to treat their job like a game of CS atm and its scary.

Yeah, that's why parents are teaching their kids if pulled over to keep both hands on the wheel until the officer tells you what to do and even then move slowly and verbalize every single action you're taking.

It could be the difference between life or death.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

In general, I think police officers betraying their ethics and standards should face maximum penalties by default. It's a greater offense than if a random citizen did the same thing, and they've got they're supposed to have the training to not do this crap.
    I agree 100%. Its funny because in corrections that line of reasoning was applied to COs.

Yeah, that's why parents are teaching their kids if pulled over to keep both hands on the wheel until the officer tells you what to do and even then move slowly and verbalize every single action you're taking.

Yeah, I’ve had conversations with my kids about always listening/following cops instructions and to always keep your hands where they can see them, and not to reach for your purse to show them your ID unless they ask. I’ve also told them to tell the cops your movements and why: “I’m getting my wallet out of my purse like you asked” etc. Be clear. Be calm. Move slow. Be loud so they can hear you.

I’ve also said it may be best to just hand them the purse to retrieve the ID themselves cause they may get nervous seeing you digging in your purse.

It’s sad.
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2019-10-13 at 06:04 PM.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

Yeah, I’ve had conversations with my kids about always listening/following cops instructions and to always keep your hands where they can see them, and not to reach for your purse to show them your ID unless they ask. I’ve also told them to tell the cops your movements and why: “I’m getting my wallet out of my purse like you asked” etc. Be clear. Be calm. Be loud so they can hear you.

I’ve also said it may be best to just hand them the purse to retrieve the ID cause they may get uncomfortable seeing you digging in your purse.

It’s sad.
    Remember to tell them to always pull over in a well lit area with other people around as well. A busy shopping center is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Remember to tell them to always pull over in a well lit area with other people around as well. A busy shopping center is a good choice.
    Yeah, good idea.

I mean sure, put the cop in jail but that doesn't solve anything. It's not like cops want to kill innocents (or at least I hope they don't). The question is WHY does this keep happening and the obvious answer is that they are very poorly trained.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

This kinda stuff is only going to get worse if they don't start holding police responsible for their mistakes.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    This kinda stuff is only going to get worse if they don't start holding police responsible for their mistakes.
    Again, do you think cops do this because they can get away with it? Isn't that perverse? It's horrible that they CAN get away with it, but the reason they do it is obviously something else otherwise you have a fuckton of psychopaths in the US.

Video below.

I completely agree with you, in terms of how to deal with the police. Just want to share the video because it is really easy to imagine any person getting shot in this scenario (believe the victim was also drunk, which adds to the difficulty): https://reason.com/2017/12/08/arizon...illing-man-cr/
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2019-10-13 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Again, do you think cops do this because they can get away with it? Isn't that perverse? It's horrible that they CAN get away with it, but the reason they do it is obviously something else otherwise you have a fuckton of psychopaths in the US.
    I think they don't consider the consequences because there essentially isn't any. They don't have to worry if they do something wrong. So it's better for them to shoot first and ask after.

To me it seems fair to assume that if there were more consequences, they might feel more pressure to think their actions through more fully. It's not to say that they are psychopaths who are gleefully trying to get away with murder - just that anyone can be lazy if their fuckups cost them nothing.

I think they don't consider the consequences because there essentially isn't any. They don't have to worry if they do something wrong. So it's better for them to shoot first and ask after.
    I don't think that they consider the consequences at those moments because they just act by instinct. Perhaps all they are trained to do is violence so that's their default. I just cannot believe that normal people would choose to kill and only choose not to because of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    I completely agree with you, in terms of how to deal with the police. Just want to share the video because it is really easy to imagine any person getting shot in this scenario (believe the victim was also drunk, which adds to the difficulty): https://reason.com/2017/12/08/arizon...illing-man-cr/
    Yeah. This is the video I was referring to in a previous comment. For some reason I was thinking he was in a different position.

I think in that situation, I would have just remained lying on the floor with my hands up and told them I’m too afraid to move and fall.
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2019-10-13 at 06:38 PM.

Being a country of guns for safety seems like it makes everyone be on edge at all times instead.

Yeah. This is the video I was referring to in a previous comment. For some reason I was thinking he was in a different position.

I think in that situation, I would have just remained lying on the floor with my hands up and told them I’m too afraid to move and fall.
    Yeah, completely agreed on how to handle it - don't play simon sez with the police. I can kind of understand why he got shot when he reached down to pull his pants up, what I don't understand is everything leading up to that moment. How do you crawl toward someone with your hands in the air and legs crossed behind you? It's confusing as hell. The guy's drunk mind was processing too much information at once and when his pants slipped he unthinkingly went to correct it.

Also I should have replied to you, fixing it.

I don't think that they consider the consequences at those moments because they just act by instinct. Perhaps all they are trained to do is violence so that's their default. I just cannot believe that normal people would choose to kill and only choose not to because of the law.
    Which is just as bad if not worse. They are trained NOT to act on instinct.

Which is just as bad if not worse. They are trained NOT to act on instinct.
    Are they? I doubt that.

Children should not be trained on how not to get shot by the Police during routine traffic stops.
    The Police should be trained on how not to shoot Children during routine traffic stops.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-10-13 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning