Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I had a pretty similar experience. I'm not using any autopilot addons but I did pick up Questie around level 15 so I knew where all the available quests were hidden. As a Prot Paladin, I had a really rough time for a while. Everything took so long to kill and if I pulled more than 1 mob, I was dead. I did play back in the day but that was 14 years ago and I had a friend helping me back then so I don't remember having such a hard time leveling. I basically had to relearn how to play my class in this version of the game. I'm now constantly fighting 2-3 mobs at a time and am enjoying the game a lot more than before. There have been a few slow patches where I didn't really know where to go because all available quests were a bit too difficult for me (orange) and I would keep dying. I'm currently 47 and have been bouncing between Hinterlands, Feralas and Tanaris. I'm all done with Hinterlands now, though. Bouncing around between zones can get a bit annoying. I prefer sticking in one zone and following a story until you fully complete the zone storyline. Overall, the experience has been ok. The game has many flaws and I prefer retail's content but I'm just not enjoying the gameplay of my favorite specs at the moment. Once classes get revamped again, maybe they'll be more enjoyable to play.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    While i dont agree with his statment thats a idiotic conclusion.
    People prefer differnt things in online games. When someone is asked to perform a dance dance revolution boss mechanic and its insta wipe because 1 guy didnt get it right its gets frustrating quick. Nothing to do with pressing 1 button. And obviously that's 1 attempt so in the next one i could be the one or someone else. Varying people have differnt opinions, including myhtic raiders.
    Also i agree that the game teaching you ignoring mechanics is retarded and killes of its own playerbase. The raiding community is in a steady decline forever because new recruits have no grasp of anything. A blizzard created problem because they give people gear that they have no business having which let them brute force mechanics that they dont even read the tooltip off.

- - - Updated - - -

You showing a great point in an attempt to building a strawman.
    Its no coincidence that people struggle with bosses like jaina, wherein every raid there are 1-2 bosses, you can ignore mechanics or botch them hardcore.
    There have always been easy bosses in a raid, in literally every expansion ever made. It's deliberate. Letting some people have some degree of success encourages them to keep trying. If they made a boss like Jaina the first boss, 95% of people would just give up and never raid again.

I levelled a paladin as holy from 1-39 and had to give it up due to struggling to quest and not having enough time to actively find groups to dungeon grind.

I've switched to hunter, and hit 37 in a fraction of the time (for obvious reasons) but by far and away my biggest problem has been being ganked. I'm not complaining, it's part of the game and I purposely rolled on a PvP server to play with friends (and to do some ganking myself!) but I have to say, I'd forgotten how flat out obnoxious it is to be killed over and over by skull level Horde, especially in places like Desolace where the gy positioning means a 10-15 minute run back. Extra graveyards is one minor QoL change I wouldn't personally have objected to.

Having said that, for the most part, I'm thoroughly enjoying replaying Classic, having not done it for 14 years or so. I've got enough saved for my mount and I'm getting childishly enthused about nearing 40, and digging into some old raids again. I have some minor concerns about finding groups to attune for stuff, but we'll see how it goes.

/end blogpost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    My experience so far 1-56 : worst experience ever.
    And yet you played *56* levels. You're either a troll or a masochist, because if I hated it that much I'd quit long before 56.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    And yet you played *56* levels. You're either a troll or a masochist, because if I hated it that much I'd quit long before 56.
    I have nothing to play and Retail is boring :/

ps : I'm still playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I had fun leveling, then I hit 60, and I'm concerned that the endgame right now is just too easy. I haven't done MC yet, but my first pug killed Ony with 26 people in 3 attempts, and UBRS might have been the easiest dungeon I've ever done. If the endgame is easy, things like gear and professions just don't matter too much.
    We are playing on a catch up patch for mc and ony.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have nothing to play and Retail is boring :/

ps : I'm still playing.
    LOL... I understand that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Which server were you playing on?
    I am on Bloodsail Buccaneers US

My experience so far 1-56 : worst experience ever.
    That is a lot of time to invest in something you don't like.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

To me the classic example of what's wrong with retail is the Hellfire Citadel after Gorefiend. Here's what the bosses are:

Iskar: One person screws up the eye, you wipe.
    Socrethar: Fel prison, felblaze charge, and numerous other mechanics through which one player can wipe the raid.
    Velhari: Player mishandling Annihilating Strike = wipe.
    Zakuun: Player with latent energy soaks something wrong. Wipe.
    Xhul'horac: Player takes both damage types in succession, causing annihilation wipes.

After 2-3 months, most pug raids just disbanded after Gorefiend. The next 5 bosses were all just personal responsibility based pug killers. It was awful. A lot then reformed for Mannoroth and Archie. I was super super geared for heroic, and it was basically pointless. 2/3 of Socrethar pugs would collapse after 2-3 wipes due to mechanics failures.
    Okay, this legit brought back good and bad memories. I was raiding in a US200 guild at the time, actually still in the guild just not raiding, but there were a couple guild killers in this raid.

The biggest one I remember was Gorefiend.

But you are correct about the others too. It was hard to get past Mannoroth without a couple warriors and bladestorme, and a DK to grip.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l7arkness View Post
    Preety cool post
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    That is a lot of time to invest in something you don't like.
    You are right, I don't even know why I'm playing this crappy game :/

After 2-3 months, most pug raids just disbanded after Gorefiend. The next 5 bosses were all just personal responsibility based pug killers. It was awful. A lot then reformed for Mannoroth and Archie. .
    And in retail, you could at least do that. In classic you can't, which is why any talk of classic raiding being better for PUGs is absolutely hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrinara View Post
    1-10: But once I hit level 10 and got my first talent point.. I felt like I accomplished something, and considering Live (BFA) leveling, when you get to your talents and have to pick on, It doesn't feel like I accomplished anything. Here it felt great and made me smile.
    Really? You dinged 10 and got to pick (clever readers will notice a highlight with the only right pick from this line for leveling):
    2% chance for mobs to not resist part of your spells / 0,4s cast speed on one spell / more healing from an ability that you don't have yet /10% more effective imp / more health at expense of spirit / more shadowbolt damage after landing a crit with shadowbolt / lessen manacosts by part of your spells by 1%

And felt like you've accomplished something? Compared to picking a spec?
    Leveling as a early lock with no Blue berry was rough, but once I got it, I had little issue at this level.
    Leveling a warlock to 10 must be one of easiest experiences i had, thanks to curse of weakness mobs barely scratch you, and all you need is steady supply of drinks and patience to spam weak-ass shadowbolt.

11-20: This was very rough because I didn't know where to go after completing the human starting zone.
    This is also weird, because there is at least a quest that send you to different places, like loch modan.

Plus I was bored and didn't know what I was doing. and the fact that people were telling me to go back to Retail, as if it was an insult, really was turning me off to the game.
    That's usually a point at which novelty of things burns out. Frankly, we rolled on classic with almost 20 people, started a guild, but at about level 30-40 most of those people left classic and started playing live wow instead, because they felt like there is nothing to do on classic.

I switched specs
    You are level 30, what is this "spec" you are talking about?

and decided to try my hand in Drain Tanking.
    Uh-huh and i hope you didn't expose random strangers to this insanity of yours
    Class quests are something I wish Live (BFA) had.
    Agree that class quests should be back (preferable with leveling experience re-work), but not in the way they are in classic
    And the talent points are something I do hope they bring back.
    Hard pass on this pile of garbage full of "you can't skip this talent, because it'll be useful at level 50, doesn't matter that it's useless for you now lol"
    40: I feel like I am on an adventure. Something I don't feel on Live (BFA) anymore.
    That's because this game is new, and BfA is "old"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Adventure doesn't just mean leveling taking ages. I found vanilla abysmally boring when I wasn't with a friend or guild group. .
    Oh yeah, doing something but crafting or fishing or grinding non-quest mobs in secluded location was such a pain in the ass without friends and/or guildies offline or doing their own thing. At some point i was so tired of leveling that went back to leveling my gnome hunter without using green quest item upgrades. Which i did and had way more fun than farming damn turtles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Why does everyone seem to confuse this site with blogspot?
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just get geared up and go. It’s so much better.
    That's literally how you do LFR/normal mode raids in live wow

- - - Updated - - -

It’s flawed design because gear limitations are non existent. Stretching for a bit more dps or managing your mana correctly and barely keeping everyone alive while not going oom doesn’t matter. All that matters is whether no one messes up the mechanics that are designed to wipe you. I’m generally pretty good at learning heroic level mechanics so it’s pretty boring.

I just did my first onyxia kill and it was super easy obviously, but I had to watch my mana and make a million small decisions because at the end of the day my healing output is limited. A few people failed mechanics but we didn’t wipe immediately like happens frequently on live. In live, on a first heroic kill, healers are probably doing 50% overhealing and those decisions mostly don’t exist. But as soon as someone fails a big mechanic, it’s wipe time.

This is also why gear doesn’t matter on live. If I’m doing 50% overhealing on a first kill, by the 10th I might be at 200%, but the raids still gonna wipe if Johnny Pugnuts screws up a mechanic. In classic every gear upgrade is gonna mean I can carry more because my output won’t be as throttled.
    It really sounds like you don't raid on live servers.
    You are not going to wipe, because someone with a poison debuff ran into someone with frost debuff on Sivara
    Neither you are going to wipe because one dude forgot to get a buff / forgot to wait out a buff and died/got munched (unless you are WAY undergeared for that fight and your healers go OOM or DPS can't manage their damage right to kill him fast enough)
    And you are not going to wipe because someone forgot to move out with arcane bomb on the radiance (or even stood inside of it at took a hit)
    You aregoing to wipe on ashvane if you don't overgear encounter (or have inflated DPS by stacking specs) and multiple players fail mecanics at the same time.
    You aren't going to wipe on ongoza because someone failed to move away from allies while being targeted by a spear, or if he fails "rain dance"
    A player who failed to get into male naga while he casts his 100 energy ability aren't going to wipe your group (chances are he won't even die from it). Neither does failing queen decrees wipe your raid.

Yeah, there is very limited amount of "raid wipe" mechanics in the game, you are simply imagining things
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Why does everyone seem to confuse this site with blogspot?
    Why do people click on posts called 'My experience so far...' and complain that the post is blog like?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am 56. Enjoying it, although it can get frustrating at times.
    Zones have far too few quests and they send you around the world too often. Felwood is garbage and the Linken quest can go explode.
    Other than that, Questie has been a huge help in figuring out where to go next. I have resorted to grinding and farming which gave me an extra 3-4 levels. I grinded wildhammer/timbermaw/brotherhood rep to friendly and gelkis to revered, just because I wanted green nameplates before 60. Then I farmed turtles for scales since I am LW. If I had ignored professions altogether I'd probably be max level by now, but I would also be in a very bad spot with skill too low for my current zones, so that's fine.

Sharing my leveling addon experience - Zygor was useful, and although my main was started a week later due to rerolling, I did hit 60 within a month (suggesting that at some point I was in the middle of the curve) and the competition didn't feel bad.

Vanilla feels like slow old school RP because it is slow old school RP.

Me being annoyed at feeling inconvenienced at every turn actually does get really old, tbh. Even BfA felt a bit too adventure mode after coming off Legion.

Here's the real true true: Vanilla isn't a masterpiece. BC is - and is what kept the game going. 15 years of D&D RP walking bag space impingement is literally no-one's idea of fun. It's quaint getting back to basics, but the game wasn't near to being complete in Vanilla and arguably was not until BC or even mid WotLK in terms of specs (especially druids).
    Last edited by Elestia; 2019-10-14 at 06:27 AM.