Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    As a holy paladin i will never run scholo with a group that won't let me need on the runes, it's been forever this way on a pservers and i have never had a problem with it. And i advise every healer to follow my example because so far the group etiquette is in a far worse state than it was so we have to educate these barbaric retail players on how to not fuck a fellow group mate over a 2g.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you even need to ask this question just shows how much worse online communities are in 2019. Of course its for healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I wonder how many people stating to Need roll these things are the same people that shout that Rogues shouldn’t claim treasure chests for themselves in dungeon runs.
    From my perspective, as a Rogue.

Locked chests should be /random, Rogue unlocks it for that person (or himself, if he wins).

As far as Runes, they're worth a good chunk on the AH so they should be greed. Either I'm 5G down or the healer is 5G down. Either way, it's entirely a greed role. The exception is if it's a guild run.

What about mana using classes that are DPS? Vanilla was heaving on mana and had few ways to regain. Isn't damage just as important?

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how many people stating to Need roll these things are the same people that shout that Rogues shouldn’t claim treasure chests for themselves in dungeon runs.
    I mean, drastically different scenarios... but I am leaning on don't need on these runes either.... that is, maybe just ask your group?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    What about mana using classes that are DPS? Vanilla was heaving on mana and had few ways to regain. Isn't damage just as important?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, drastically different scenarios... but I am leaning on don't need on these runes either.... that is, maybe just ask your group?
    They’re not drastically different. The arguments apply to both. Both are useful to everyone (as gold or consumable), only chests can be opened by Rogue or Key and only casters can use the Rune, and neither would have access to without the group.
    Personally I don’t really care how people roll it out, it’s just hypocritical to say yes to one and no to the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    From my perspective, as a Rogue.

Locked chests should be /random, Rogue unlocks it for that person (or himself, if he wins).

As far as Runes, they're worth a good chunk on the AH so they should be greed. Either I'm 5G down or the healer is 5G down. Either way, it's entirely a greed role. The exception is if it's a guild run.
    That’s a fine opinion to have. I won’t argue that. I’m mainly just addressing the hypocrisy of some people saying one is okay and the other is not.

As a warrior - i just completely pass because i'm not petty enough to give a shit about a rune.

Even if it's worth a tiny bit on the AH, someone else can make use of it and it really won't make me go broke if i don't get one to sell. It's not worth the drama.
    Not driving your car to keep the miles off is like not fucking your girlfriend to keep her fresh for the next guy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnianna View Post
    Just type that question at the start of dungeon problem solved.
    That's crazy. Why would anyone do that when they can incite drama over pointless things like damn dark runes
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Frankly, this is all news to me, so I would've assumed you were just being greedy if this weren't explained ahead a time.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    How can this Need / Greed be so difficult. Its right there in the Title.

Need - I need this thing, i'm going to use this thing
    Greed - I cant/wont use this thing, i just want the cash
    Pass - I cant/wont use this thing, i dont care about the cash.

Doesn't matter what item. How hard can it be? Only need if you're going to use it. You cant need to sell. Thats greed...

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    While yes, the item is a mana potion... it's also a self dmg tool ANYONE can use in the event of a wipe to avoid durability loss. Some people purchase and use them in this capacity as well.
    pretty sure it's more expensive than losing 10% durability

I will say that it's greed for all unless previously established.

it's a BOE item, and it has sale value.

but I dont understand why a healer would have priority on this over other mana users, if it was about who needs it.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2019-10-15 at 07:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgh View Post
    How can this Need / Greed be so difficult. Its right there in the Title.

Need - I need this thing, i'm going to use this thing
    Greed - I cant/wont use this thing, i just want the cash
    Pass - I cant/wont use this thing, i dont care about the cash.

Doesn't matter what item. How hard can it be? Only need if you're going to use it. You cant need to sell. Thats greed...
    With logic like this winning strategy is roll need on anything possibly usable by your class, which eventually leads us to WotLK "everyone needs" loot drama

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    pretty sure it's more expensive than losing 10% durability
    Unless you are a tanking warrior - yes, it's less expensive to die than to cash out 2g per rune (70s on my server this morning lol).
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    I will say that it's greed for all unless previously established.
    That's the most sensible way of thinking about these things. Also if you think that something may or may not induce drama later in the dungeon you should take the matter in your own hands and discuss it BEFORE it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

As a tank I make it very clear that the healer gets the dark runes, if they don't accept this they can find a new tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    just kick healer who doing that. This is BOE. I have no idea do he use it or sell it. He just steal money from party. He is not better than a person who need every green because "i'm enchanter!!". If you so love runes - go and buy em on ah. Like potions. Farm felwood etc. Scholo aint a place where you have to use runes. Or even pots. And I dont care where else you planing to use runes. You joined to scholo with random ppl. For cleaning THIS dungeon. Here runes do not required. If you want reserve it - run with your guild party. Random people mustn't settle your financial problem.

The easiest way would be to simply ask the group before, but I realize this would require communication and such is not anything a wow player would want.

Dark runes are BoE, they require a group to get and are without alternative required in several crafting recipes.
    Their mana-gaining alternative - demonic runes - which have the same effect and share the same cooldown can be solo farmed.

So in this case I think all rolling greed should be the default answer.

Or to complicate things imho the answer should be: Someone who actually wants to craft something from those runes that he needs should have precedence over mana users who actually are using them for their effect with equal rights to someone who can craft something from those runes to sell and they should have precedence over someone who has no use for the rune and just wants to sell the rune itself.

But since that obviously will not be accepted by everyone nor will anyone want to discuss such a thing in a pug we again are down to the most group compatible solution: Everyone rolls greed.

As a bear tank who MS healer in raids i'm pretty salty when healers need these and then give off when I need on them too

Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    As a tank I make it very clear that the healer gets the dark runes, if they don't accept this they can find a new tank.
    What if the other people in the group need it for you know, crafting shit, since it's also a crafting reagent. Where's your logic in some people having to buy it from AH when they put the work for it because of your role entitlement?

I'm guessing you're one of those tanks who also reserve shit like orbs as "tanking fee".

Want raid consumables for healers? Then get your guild out and kill a few demons for demonic runes.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    What's the deal with Dark Runes? Need or greed for healers?

As healer in Scholomance I will need on these things every single time and the rogue or warrior will invariably chime in with "What, why need on that??". Because I use them, it's a mana pot that doesn't share a cd? It's even possible I'll use 1 or 5 of them in this very instance to save the party when I'm oom depending on the competence of the group.

Then they come out with all the excuses under the sun. "It's worth 2g on the AH", "it's a trade item", "it's a craft item", "it's not fair", "you can farm Felwood", "I need for money", "you should have greeded because everyone else greeded", bla bla. One tank even left on the spot.

I actually don't care it's worth 2g on the AH, I use them as a consumable, not sell them.

Thoughts?
    Everything thats a boe should be rolled out to the whole group. wether you choose need or greed rolls to do it is up to you.

In fact, if we look at this logically, you are the one who values these items the lowest in the whole group.
    For the other 4ppl, this item is worth 2g (or whatever the ah price is). But since you havent bought runes off the ah to use in emergencies, this means you must value them at less than 2g.
    Thus id say you are the least deserving :P

The only fair way to roll these out imo is if all roll on them. not just one guy whos planning to use them. Same goes for boe armors and weapons.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

I think the Locked Chest rules apply here. You wouldnt have access to these runes dropping if it wasnt for the group, so everyone can roll need on them as they can be sold and everyone has rights of ownership based on a fair roll. And "i might use them in this run" is not valid as you are supposed to come prepared or do you really count on managing your mana by RNG drop of dark runes?

All mana users roll need if you get one you pass til everyone has one.

They’re not drastically different. The arguments apply to both. Both are useful to everyone (as gold or consumable), only chests can be opened by Rogue or Key and only casters can use the Rune, and neither would have access to without the group.
    Personally I don’t really care how people roll it out, it’s just hypocritical to say yes to one and no to the other.
    No, they are very different... casters can use the rune in that dungeon, but Rogues would benefit in only a greedy manner.

The OP at least has a decent argument, needing it would assist the group in finishing the dungeon. A Rogue wouldn't be able to use that same argument, as its unlikely anything would be in a box/chest that would assist the Rogue in finishing the dungeon at all. Thats exactly why we have a need/greed option.