15+ Year Old Account

9850H enough for years to come?

I'm currently using 2 computers. A laptop and a desktop.
    I want to save some space and just use one computer but still be flexible with a laptop.

I'm using Dell XPS 9560 with i5 and it's not fast enough for what I do, mainly gaming, photo editing and some very light video editing.
    My desktop is i3-8350k (4c/4t cpu, I'm actually quite happy with this little cpu) and 1080Ti. This system manages 1440p/120hz very well.

How will i7-9850H perform as a "desktop" computer paired up with an extern video card, compared to my current setup?
    I'm planning to keep the laptop for 5 or so years and just replace the video cards.
    I know there's some performance loss with external cards, but I'm gaming at 1440p/120hz and I'll be fine with that. I'm however to add VR to my setup, probably gonna buy Valve Index.

10+ Year Old Account
    How well it'll work depends on the thermal solution in the laptop, and how the laptop manufacturer designed it. It's configurable between 35w and 45w, with a baseclock of 2.6 and boost of 4.6..

That said, if you get one with a decent thermal solution and engineers that care to tune it properly, it'll probably outperform both of what you have right now, though with the caveat that you of course can get a much more powerful computer if you give up the laptop moveability.

As for recommendations, I can't give you specifics unless I also know what size and budget you're looking at

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    How well it'll work depends on the thermal solution in the laptop, and how the laptop manufacturer designed it. It's configurable between 35w and 45w, with a baseclock of 2.6 and boost of 4.6..

That said, if you get one with a decent thermal solution and engineers that care to tune it properly, it'll probably outperform both of what you have right now, though with the caveat that you of course can get a much more powerful computer if you give up the laptop moveability.

As for recommendations, I can't give you specifics unless I also know what size and budget you're looking at
    I don't really want to go 17", but I'm looking at Alienware m51, it's quite pretty. Not very portable though, but I'm not really the type who walks around with his laptop. And it has mostly desktop components.
    I wish that 15" didn't cost €3500 though, which is my budget limit but if I go for that 17" m51 I could get way better spec for less.
    I'm thinking about fully decked out XPS 7590, with 9980HK with 32gb ram and OLED screen, but I read that throttles (which might not be an issue since I want an external gpu).
    Razer Blade and Gigabyte Aero I'm not considering because they are too expensive for what they offer in comparison to Dell.