Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This isn't really a new issue. Nannycams and other hidden security cameras have been around for literally decades. Disclosure has never been an assumption.
    I think the difference here is.. Nanny cams and security cameras are monitored by either yourself, or a private company that only does that thing. Security companies (at least of the past, ADT, etc) didnt sell data. These newer smart things use that stuff.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I think the difference here is.. Nanny cams and security cameras are monitored by either yourself, or a private company that only does that thing. Security companies (at least of the past, ADT, etc) didnt sell data. These newer smart things use that stuff.
    Those companies didn't, generally, but they could.

This isn't a new issue. All that's changing is how common the technology is, really.

Well, in the state I live in, once you leave your house, outside of a few specific areas(like bathrooms and changing rooms), you have no right to privacy. Also, I live in a one party state so a person has the ability to record anyone else as long as they are part of the conversation or it is out in public. So, no, it shouldn't be up to the homeowner to disclose that as it is their home, it should be up to the guest to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    This would be a strong and resounding YES.

I have once left the house of a fairly good friend (call it "second degree friend" already after learning that his fucking Alexa is there and will be active, and I'd do this every single time again. Stupid idiots that bug their homes can bugger right off, I won't be any part of it. If you do not tell me that I'm spied on, and push came to shove, I'd have no issues suing you no matter how close we thought we were.

Seriously. This is right up there with fucking w/o contraceptives (yes, plural) or visiting kindergarden unvaccinated.

If I discover your bug I haven't been warned about, expect me to flat out throw it to the ground and stomp on it. I'll also never visit again. You're too dumb to waste my sparse spare time on.
    Good luck winning that lawsuit. What exactly are your damages?

You already know my opinion on it.

If there is a chance I will be sleeping at, changing at, naked at someone's home... damned straight I'd want to have that kind of information disclosed. Any cams I find at any friend/family home I stay at I ensure is either off and/or pointed elsewhere in rooms where such may happen.

To me that falls under consent and feeling safe.
    http://mshaylle.deviantart.com/

"Be true to your work, your word, and your friend."

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar…" - Wash

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

People who are paranoid about these sorts of things need to just lock themselves in their homes and never go outside.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Those two things are not related.
    So recording what someone does online isn't related to recording someone irl?
    Hmmm....

Not that I'd have those kinds of devices, but if I won't put a muzzle on my dog or put my hamsters in a locked, air-tight room for guests, then I can't see myself disclosing every little thing otherwise.

I have once left the house of a fairly good friend (call it "second degree friend" already after learning that his fucking Alexa is there and will be active, and I'd do this every single time again. Stupid idiots that bug their homes can bugger right off, I won't be any part of it. If you do not tell me that I'm spied on, and push came to shove, I'd have no issues suing you no matter how close we thought we were.

Seriously. This is right up there with fucking w/o contraceptives (yes, plural) or visiting kindergarden unvaccinated.

If I discover your bug I haven't been warned about, expect me to flat out throw it to the ground and stomp on it. I'll also never visit again. You're too dumb to waste my sparse spare time on.
    I await the source where someone got sued because they visited a house that had an alexa in it, please give me a link that'd be hilarious. I'm betting thousands of people each day walk into a house unaware of an alexa or google home, so there should be tons of people being sued, link me some.

I'm aware people have tried to sue amazon over alexa issues, but im talking about someone suing someone else.

On Ferenginar guests have to sign legal waivers when they are in the homes of others.

Also if people are worried about smart devices then they should not be carrying smart phones. They can easily listen in on your every day life too.
    Last edited by the game; 2019-10-17 at 01:02 AM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Mshaylle View Post
    You already know my opinion on it.

If there is a chance I will be sleeping at, changing at, naked at someone's home... damned straight I'd want to have that kind of information disclosed. Any cams I find at any friend/family home I stay at I ensure is either off and/or pointed elsewhere in rooms where such may happen.

To me that falls under consent and feeling safe.
    Wait are we still talking about Siri and Google home, or did we already jump to toilet cams and shower spy cams?

10+ Year Old Account
    It is your domain, you do not have to announce it if you do not wish to do so. I wouldn't announce it because I'm not that paranoid. I have my phones, and that is the only actual categorized smart devices I have.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Oh for fuck's sake, I said this more as a metaphor for me feeling highly violated in my rights to privacy, not actually sue. Stop being so pedantic about it already.
    metaphor, so actually you'd just whine on some forums and do nothing about it lol, well done that'll teach amazon and google!

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with this is that nearly every modern device has the potential to be a smart device, which may or may not be something the home owner is even aware of. Is a Smart TV a smart device? Is a refrigerator a smart device? If you're aware of what these devices can do then you should be aware enough not to say or do anything around them when you spot one.

Where I live, unsolicited observation requires a court's permit. And if that fails, I still have the right to my privacy, which I can reasonably expect to be upheld in someone else's home that isn't actively allowed to conduct surveillance on me. This is not China here.
    Do you live in the United States? Are you a 4th amendment expert from your law school training?

Wouldn't any "data" gathered just be linked back to the person who owns the device? Unless your guest is walking around with a smart-phone set to sync up with any device in the vicinity, or something...in which case they can't really care about their privacy that much.

So what is it now? You want me to sue or not? I can't tell anymore. Make up your mind!
    yeah i want the laughs as i stated in my first post, please go ahead, smash someones alexa and sue your friend for spying on you, oh wait it's a "metaphor" or more commonly known, silly outrage that won't lead to any action zzzzz.

No unless it is always on*

Imo, this is similar to any other 'social contract' type deal. Put it this way. How many times has someone walked up to you with a knife in their hands? Now how many times have they just randomly stuck it in you. None, here. My waiters deliver my knives to me without problem, if im at a guest's house i don't get shived there either, and so on.

But they could do it. They could easily do it. You could leave your house right now and go find a kid and kill them. But you don't. Why? Well, doesn't matter why, what matters is that the extreme, like, 99.999% of people, don't do these actions.

I trust that the typical person who has one of these devices, isn't having it record me for nefarious reasons, just as i trust that the waiter walking towards me with a fork, isn't going to jam it into the back of my neck as she walks around me.

*HOWEVER, a lot of these devices are permanently on. I find it really funny when people wonder how Cadbury's chocolate suddenly started appearing on their youtube ads a day after they mentioned it in the house. HOW DO YOU THINK IT KNOWS TO RESPOND WHEN YOU SAY ALEXA? Do you think it just is turned off until it hears the first syllable of 'Alexa'? No, it is always on, it is always listening. Listening and understanding.

You destroy my property and you’ll be the one being sued. I guess you don’t have a smartphone either? No social media? No accounts on internet? Oh wait, that last one you do have for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, no.

Instead people should assume that every modern home going forward has these devices.

This is the reality, give it another 10-20 years and you will have these devices in just about every home aside from some serious old timers or country bumpkins living in the middle of nowhere.

Heck, everyone has personal recording device listening in in their pocket, should we put a warning label on our foreheads or some such?