Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'd probably take a different approach:

Keep existing racials, but let yourself pick any race's set of racials of your faction, on the condition that your character starts where they do as if your character was raised there (or goes there after the new 1-10 zone). That way, racials are given to a character based on where they were raised and maybe not necessarily on their biology. Tauren raised by Trolls? He can Berserk. Orc raised by Undead? He Cannibalizes. Lots of combinations, lots of potential for fun RP potential and just player customization in general while also giving players freedom and also the option to play what they want to look like while still being optimal if that's what they want.

Yes, but that'll never happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I'd probably take a different approach:

Keep existing racials, but let yourself pick any race's set of racials of your faction, on the condition that your character starts where they do as if your character was raised there (or goes there after the new 1-10 zone). That way, racials are given to a character based on where they were raised and maybe not necessarily on their biology. Tauren raised by Trolls? He can Berserk. Orc raised by Undead? He Cannibalizes. Lots of combinations, lots of potential for fun RP potential and just player customization in general while also giving players freedom and also the option to play what they want to look like while still being optimal if that's what they want.
    Sure, letting you pick which racials you want could work. Limiting it to 1 faction still leaves problems like Arcane Torrent and Shadowmeld, however.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Just keep praying you get what you want like I do bro

Human (not fatboi) Druids forever!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    That would allow players to pick races they like aesthetically or for lore reasons. This would solve the flavor of the month PvP picking. It would allow people to pick a faction they enjoy the story of instead of picking a faction because their racials are "the best" to be.
    That would save me some money from faction transferring when they make Human (not fatboi) Druids
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Yes, but that'll never happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, letting you pick which racials you want could work. Limiting it to 1 faction still leaves problems like Arcane Torrent and Shadowmeld, however.
    Shadowmeld specifically could be reworked to be a reduction in mob detection during the night, amplified if you're standing still, and getting stronger until it becomes stealth the longer you stand still (still have to activate the ability to start the Stealth when you've stood still long enough). This way, you can still stand still and get stealth, but it takes a while for it to activate, providing counter-play if the concern there is strictly PvP or boss fights as players can make the choice to engage a Night Elf that's trying to stay still long enough to Shadowmeld much in the same way players might try to counter-play trying to get off a rez, and a boss can periodically throw out an ability under a player's feet or just a burst of very light AoE - as damage taken breaks Shadowmeld progress let's say.

For Arcane Torrent, if the concern is a free ability to break things like Stealth (well first of all I'd point out how interesting it is that Shadowmeld and Arcane Torrent almost seem like they counter each other, but that aside) then having it do something to enemies is kind of out of the question. If it provided, like, a burst of negligent mana to the caster and nearby allies, then you wouldn't have to worry about how it interacts with enemies. And this way, it can even be comparable to another racial like the Gnome's larger mana pool.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is a bad idea. Please stop giving Blizzard bad ideas. They're good enough at coming up with them on their own.

Why does everything have to be exactly equal? This is a terrible idea. The game is already lacking in flavor and this would further that.

10+ Year Old Account
    racials are fine.

99.99% of us aren't in content where a 1% advantage for playing X race as Y class is going to matter at all.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    please no 10char

- - - Updated - - -

this thread is promoting cleansing of racial diversity
    Last edited by froschhure; 2020-03-22 at 02:36 PM.

this is yet the worst idea for fucking up racials that I have ever seen or most likely will see. people like the OP are the cause of why we have every single class looking 99% alike the other.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT 1% EXTRA DAMAGE AND HEAL.

Mod Edit: Don't use giant fonts in this fashion.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-03-24 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Removed Giant Font

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually agree that racials should be cosmetic/flavor-type things. Not necessarily the same effects, but nothing related to player power. There's too many people out there that feel like, e.g. 'omg KT is like 0.6% better must play that race even if hate them'.

The game is 15 years old. We should be able to play the races we want, period, without that kind of thing being a factor.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I'm not sure why people want fewer options than a modern moba/FPS in their RPGs.

No, I want both. Graphically update existing racials and add some new cosmetic ones like the hearth thing. I love having the greatfather winter's hearth for my frost DK. Cosmetic hearthstones is a neat idea it's just most of them suck. I want the brewfest one to be us drinking ourselves to a stupor until we pass out and wake up at our location, damn it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah...but really...f... those ppl. If they can't cry about a 0,6% advantage on a race, they cry about something else. Like a HS CD for a certain race is too big an advantage and really all HS should have no CD...or sth.
    Oh I agree. But I'd prefer that racials should be about the lore/unique qualities etc of a race more so than 'this race is better than this race for this thing'. Any level of player should be able to choose a race that they genuinely want to play as, not the 'best' one for a given role or class. Trust me, I tend to /eyeroll at people that take it that seriously, but there's a lot of guilds, raid groups etc that pressure their rosters into that sort of thinking as well.

Removing the power from racials makes it a non-issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    No, I want both. Graphically update existing racials and add some new cosmetic ones like the hearth thing. I love having the greatfather winter's hearth for my frost DK. Cosmetic hearthstones is a neat idea it's just most of them suck. I want the brewfest one to be us drinking ourselves to a stupor until we pass out and wake up at our location, damn it!
    This is honestly brilliant.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-03-22 at 04:59 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    IDK..."should have" implies you are like the god of game design who has a clue for the ultimate solution that will please everyone.

In reality, we get and got threads on both sides of the spectrum. How homogenisation destroyed the game, how it loses flavour, how unbalance added to the fun ...and then there is this topic.

Really...at what level do you play that racials affect you to the point that they fuck up your enjoyment of the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah...but really...f... those ppl. If they can't cry about a 0,6% advantage on a race, they cry about something else. Like a HS CD for a certain race is too big an advantage and really all HS should have no CD...or sth.

Well...there is always somebody who thinks they figured it all out and have a clue that never occurred to devs...and the internet gives them a soapbox to stand on. For a forward looking, young audience, I am actually amazed how many topics we had that sounded like my grumpy grandpa going "back in the days it was all better. We had no toilet paper and cleaned our ass with pine cones and we were fine"

Yeah..not the best analogy. But choices like several difficulties in 5 mans or raids were criticised, when they worked fine of other games...and I honestly see no reason why shouldn't have that choice in WoW.

Give us a choice...and still...no matter how good the racial...I will not play a human. I play a race and gender for my own reasons.
    Thats becouse single player games do not work same way as mmorpg games. There is this stupid trend of people saying stuff like ,,having options doesnt hurt if you dont like it dont do it". This only work for single player games where everybody plays in their own personal bubble. In MMORPG everything. Absolutly everything you put into the game will affect you as player regardless if you chosse to do ir not. It will always affect your gameplay or mindset. Some people just pretend it doesnt but it does.

Thats becouse mmorpgs work same way as our real world. It is its own ecosystem what is shaped by systems and players around you. LFR is great example. People say it just optional thing for people to experience content. Yet it affect everybody in moment they implement it. It reduce sense of acomplisment, lot of raiders quit organized raiding regardless of thwm having fun for path of least resistance what have lfr become. It affected ingame economy and butchered raiding community. You can ignore it as you want it will always have effect on your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    No, homogenization is always a bad thing.
    Only the Sith deal in absolutes. There was a dev interview a long while ago where they said the number one thing they'd do if they could go back to vanilla alpha was make racials do nothing but cosmetic things with no combat related effects whatsoever. Since that would cause an uprorar of insane proportions I'd accept the lesser uproar of the OP's suggestion.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    I don't know why anyone ever thought any of these racials did anything buff give stat boosts. Thank you for setting us straight.
    Sorry I didn't break the crayons out to explain it clearer for you. Things like Resistances, extra AP, etc. are all just fluff, they're not exciting things with any value to individuality.

I'm sure you'll be petty and try to claim there was a time you picked Nightborne because, "Man, that extra 1% arcane reduction really speaks to me.", but it's just fluff with no importance.

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    snip
    And this is why most professions are trash now.

Way more players than you think play with racials in mind. I for one changed my race, not only because it was a 500 dps increase, but also because it let me do my opener much more smoothly, allowing to get some timings consistent instead of having to wait 0.2-0.4 seconds like i did when playing belf.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluthol View Post
    Way more players than you think play with racials in mind. I for one changed my race, not only because it was a 500 dps increase, but also because it let me do my opener much more smoothly, allowing to get some timings consistent instead of having to wait 0.2-0.4 seconds like i did when playing belf.
    No those people are absolute minority.

good idea honestly
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz