Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Post Riot might be the "new Blizzard"

Looking at the history of League of Legends.
    They constantly updated it and made balance patches that made sense, with explainations why they were done.
    They kept the game spirit, and they constatly replyed to people on reddit, their forums and twitter.
    They involved the community to vote for what skin to come next, and they even had a list for what champions are to get a rework for a long time forward.
    They have said multiple times they want to keep their focus on the active players, and not make the game for everyone and their grandma, but are OK with having a steep learning curve and it beeing too complex for some people.

The company demand that the employees play their games. Activly. This is to keep them grounded and understand what gamers actually want. And this prooves in their upcoming games.

They have released their Auto Chess take, and it is by far the most popular version of them, from what I can tell.

I'm no fighting game player. But from what I understand from friends, they are doing everything right in their upcoming fighting game.

Their card game they released beta of today. It has NO way to buy cards. Yes it has a cash shop, but not to get cards. The mechanics also have been much closer to Magic compared to Hearthstone in complexity. In interviews the devs talk about stuff like making sure you should never feel like "I lost and there was nothing I could do". And looking at beta footage, it's looking really solid so far.

They announced thier Overwatch/TF2 FPS take. They completely abandoned the concept of healing. This makes for much faster paced gameplay and going by the gameplay, if you are skilled, you can kill 3 people in 5 sec. Beeing allowed to "hard carry" and the fantasy of doing this, is extremely appealing. They talk about actual solutions to reducing lag, "peekers advantage" and anti cheating.

They are the company that is now in touch with what good games are. I can't wait for these games. Blizzard, over the past decade, has ruined and completely failed on almost all games. WoW Retail is in a horrible state. Diablo 3 is in a horrible state. Hearthstone is in a horrible state, and one of the worst P2W games I have ever played. Heroes of the Storm is in a horrible state, and not even activly developed on anymore. The only good game Blizzard has been able to make in this decade, is Overwatch, and while it's OK, it sure gets more and more issues.

Riot once teased on twitter if we were interested in an MMORPG and the good old Ghostcrawler ("LFR was a mistake") is mysteriously working on an unannounced project. Good times are coming.

You guys agree or am I shilling?
    Last edited by MiiiMiii; 2019-10-17 at 07:09 PM.

With what they allowed the community in LoL to become, I am not sure I am interested in trying any of their new games regardless. WoW's community may be annoying enough at times, but LoL? only time I ever stopped playing an online game mainly due to its community.

10+ Year Old Account
    With one IP? Not i don't think so.

Blizzard got his magic, thanks to thier IP's. But it was ruined since 2016.

I have absolutely zero confidence in Riot (Tencent) to ever do anything half-decent, and I despise them as a company. Not even because of how they do video games, but due to them actively having done all they can to destroy another hobby of mine. So, they could make the greatest game ever made, and I would still not give them a single cent.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    With what they allowed the community in LoL to become, I am not sure I am interested in trying any of their new games regardless. WoW's community may be annoying enough at times, but LoL? only time I ever stopped playing an online game mainly due to its community.
    Tell me about it

- Former EUNE LoL player

LoL is garbage, so no

They want to be Blizzard and if they are the new Blizzard they will likely fail just the same trying to please EVERYONE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I have absolutely zero confidence in Riot (Tencent) to ever do anything half-decent, and I despise them as a company. Not even because of how they do video games, but due to them actively having done all they can to destroy another hobby of mine. So, they could make the greatest game ever made, and I would still not give them a single cent.
    This is the only thing that needs to be said.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Sadly tencent is like a snowball going down a hill, they can afford to just put their hooks into everything produce endless MTX mobile shit games and just milk everyone from the 1$ players to the whales.

Too many people don't give a shit and just throw their money at these garbage games because it's easier than "getting gud" at real games so they throw a couple of dollars at some MTX garbage pay to win and get their endorphin rush.

That would be one fat no. Also, Tencent says hi, for those unaware.

Blizzard is Blizzard, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Andonais View Post
    They want to be Blizzard and if they are the new Blizzard they will likely fail just the same trying to please EVERYONE
    They want to be anything but blizzard, Tencent is the biggest player in the video games market, they are number 1 everyone else wants to be Tencent, at least in terms of company value revenue & profits. Blizzard is a tiny fish in the ocean Tencent is the whale.

They also have a history of treating their employees awfully, which doesn't do much to set them apart from all the other scummy AAA companies out there.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Your shilling. Riot has done a lot of good but also ALOT of bad with league and there company in general and now just seem to be following what’s popular instead of trying any thing new.

I like league I like riot and there new games might be good but there not the golden goose you make them out to be.

Not even close. There´s only 1 gaming company that i´d put on the same tier as blizzard, and thats rockstar. Those two are on a league of their own...the rest is..well, the rest.

That would depend on if any of these new games are actually any good as opposed to potential half-baked clones of popular games.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am not a Riot fan. Their game isn't for me. And what they announced doesn't look fun either. They literally just copied Overwatch and Hearthstone. Why are they being praised?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Sadly tencent is like a snowball going down a hill, they can afford to just put their hooks into everything produce endless MTX mobile shit games and just milk everyone from the 1$ players to the whales.

Too many people don't give a shit and just throw their money at these garbage games because it's easier than "getting gud" at real games so they throw a couple of dollars at some MTX garbage pay to win and get their endorphin rush.
    Not gonna lie and say I know most of the games tencent is involved in but the two I have played league and path of exile don’t have any pay to win micro transactions.

Go ahead, play and Support Riot Games, just know that if you're male they'd ban you from attending their event with no problem in the name of "Equality". PAX West 2018. Never forget it.

Lol, why?! Because they're making what seems to be some very mediocre chinesium clones of hearthstone, overwatch, diablo and street fighter?!

Do you realize Riot is entirely owned by Tencent, a Chinese company?! And Chinese companies only care about 2 things:
    1. Making money in any way possible.
    2. Serving the Chinese government.

I've seen the trailers, and absolutely none of them looks good to me. But then the respective games they're copying are trash to me too, so there is that.

I fully expect some low effort, low budget, f2p games filled to the brim with microtransactions.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2019-10-17 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Not gonna lie and say I know most of the games tencent is involved in but the two I have played league and path of exile don’t have any pay to win micro transactions.
    Go on your mobile find some copy pasta garbage pay to win mobile trash, probably owned in some way by Tencent, this is what makes them more money than DoTA or PoE. Oh and they own 40% of epic games (fortnite)
    Last edited by Socialhealer; 2019-10-17 at 07:31 PM.