Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Would Full Dive VR cause human extinction?

    If we have full dive VR would there still be people living in real life apart from poeple who maintain the VR equipment ? I am referring to VR brain implants,BCIs or a VR chip connected to a central Ai computer not VR headsets, googles, etc? I am asking hypothetically since i know that full dive VR is still a while away

    I know that we need to eat and drink etc but maybe using life support machines to take care of our bodily functions, also I know we need money, but I am sure we can also make money using VR

    If you were to give a rough estimate what percentage of people would stay in the real world instead of using these devices? 25 Percent maybe

  2. #2
    It wouldn't. I would love full dive VR. Having a virtual body that would look like whatever I want it to look like would be nice, but I won't abandon my physical body. Sure, if mind uploading becomes possible, I'd upload it to an android body, but I'm not satisfied with being placed into a robotic brain in some Conscious Facility w/ internet. I like having physical control over my surroundings for safety reasons. I'm terrified that the person running the Conscious Facility might become a serial killer and just kill us all.

    As for estimates? Initially, a minority of people will use them, but the majority will. The majority will not abandon the physical world, but will be frequent users of the virtual.

  3. #3
    You think people had trust in everyone else to not pull the plug on them when they are in VR for prolonged time?

    People are afraid of not getting a seat on the bus and push others aside.

  4. #4
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    America, F*** yeah.
    Posts
    2,444
    I don't know what the next invention of mankind is, but I know what the last one will be, and that is full dive, why would you ever do anything in meatspace when you've got the infinite possibility of the virtual worlds.

    theoretically, it could lead to effective immortality via the use of brain uploading, and robotic surrogates, but this would likely be an entirely new evolutionary step for humanity.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

  5. #5
    I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks brian-uploading would work when there isn't a shred of proof...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks brian-uploading would work when there isn't a shred of proof...
    I mean we also don't have any reason to believe it shouldn't work? Or am I wrong? At the moment this is just a philosophical question and it probably goes into the territory of what is consciousness.

  7. #7
    I don't think Full Dive VR will be widely utilized because most people in the future won't have the connection possible to create a lifelike replica of the world they experience in reality (aka no latency). This is just based on current trends. There are far too many today who have maybe 1-5 mb speeds, while the standard is rising every year with being below 100 is too slow. Think about how much data is required to make a world fully mappable; the details would have to be extraordinary. Unless you're extremely rich you likely won't see this technology until long after it's been implemented. If we ever exceed technologically to the point where we can stream that much data with no latency for a majority of people on Earth we will have likely evolved beyond the point where Full Dive VR is a new technology, and something will have taken its place.

    So no, I don't think it's a threat. People with money will use it for fun.

  8. #8
    It would most likely end my commitment to physical reality.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

  9. #9
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,376
    Full VR probably would disrupt civilization. I'd rather they cure aging first and then everyone could live in VR forever with no population concerns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks brian-uploading would work when there isn't a shred of proof...
    I see no reason why you can't copy and transfer information from one substrate to another. With sufficiently advanced technology.
    -------
    Fun fact of the month:
    Anything that is not specifically forbidden by a law of nature is achievable given the right knowledge.

  10. #10
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    33,076
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Full VR probably would disrupt civilization. I'd rather they cure aging first and then everyone could live in VR forever with no population concerns.



    I see no reason why you can't copy and transfer information from one substrate to another. With sufficiently advanced technology.
    Mm but the question is, did you die in that process?

    Like the whole Star Trek thing. Being entirely torn apart, and then reassembled, is that really the same you from before or just another you with all the memories of the now dead you?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by cat588 View Post
    If we have full dive VR would there still be people living in real life apart from poeple who maintain the VR equipment ? I am referring to VR brain implants,BCIs or a VR chip connected to a central Ai computer not VR headsets, googles, etc? I am asking hypothetically since i know that full dive VR is still a while away

    I know that we need to eat and drink etc but maybe using life support machines to take care of our bodily functions, also I know we need money, but I am sure we can also make money using VR

    If you were to give a rough estimate what percentage of people would stay in the real world instead of using these devices? 25 Percent maybe
    Well, if you're talking about life support machines and making money in VR...then no...Humanity won't go extinct.

    I'm not sure how you think 75% of the population would be able to make enough money to pay for their Life Support Machines in Virtual Reality though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  12. #12
    The Unstoppable Force Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the #1, Azeroth!
    Posts
    24,673
    Imagining that the entire world would even be able to afford it.

    Cute.
    That moment when you realize that MMO-Champion is home to a significant amount of people feeling depressed by being involved with World of Warcraft and Blizzard products in general. Yet they stick around and continue paying for said products... o.O

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Mm but the question is, did you die in that process?

    Like the whole Star Trek thing. Being entirely torn apart, and then reassembled, is that really the same you from before or just another you with all the memories of the now dead you?
    The body may have died....but that doesn't matter. Everything that is "me" continues on in this new body that is identical to the one that died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  14. #14
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    33,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    The body may have died....but that doesn't matter. Everything that is "me" continues on in this new body that is identical to the one that died.
    The question is, is your consciousness transferring with your body? What exactly makes you conscious? And is the transporter you a you with all memories or you yourself?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The question is, is your consciousness transferring with your body? What exactly makes you conscious? And is the transporter you a you with all memories or you yourself?
    Already answered. Everything that was "me" before is "me" now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  16. #16
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Mm but the question is, did you die in that process?

    Like the whole Star Trek thing. Being entirely torn apart, and then reassembled, is that really the same you from before or just another you with all the memories of the now dead you?
    One copy of the person dies at each teleportation, and one new copy is created. It's the same you just in a different location.
    -------
    Fun fact of the month:
    Anything that is not specifically forbidden by a law of nature is achievable given the right knowledge.

  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    24,173
    would it come with elves?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  18. #18
    Stood in the Fire Alopex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    464
    No, it wouldn't
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

  19. #19
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,376
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    would it come with elves?
    It's VR so you could program any environments and NPCs you can imagine.
    -------
    Fun fact of the month:
    Anything that is not specifically forbidden by a law of nature is achievable given the right knowledge.

  20. #20
    The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    24,173
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It's VR so you could program any environments and NPCs you can imagine.
    my body is ready. alleria windrunner here i come....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •