Sylvanas - Ascendant of the Forgotten Shadow?

Ok, so Sylvanas feels betrayed by her sisters and the world. She fears one thing and that thing is death. She's lost the Horde, and more importantly, she's lost the Forsaken. She's also lost, or at least lost faith in, the valkyries.

What if her "new magic" is not new? What if it's a new twist on something old? Literal shadow weaving magic. Between light and void. Different enough that neither Jaina, Thalyssra or Lor'themar could detect it. It is said in the game that Sylvanas sent the Forsaken out on all kinds of missions to find new sources of magic to empower her to escape death. The Shadow Ascendant sounds exactly like what Sylvanas is becoming. And she seems to be struggling to contain her shadowform in Mak'gora. She seems to be delving into things shadow priests are taught to stay away from.

What if Sylvanas happened upon The Forgotten Shadow cult?
    Could she mass resurrect a new faction? The Forgotten Shadow?
    Could she actually be good guy Sylvanas, trying to remake Azeroth into undead, immune or at least resistant to the old gods magics?
    Is this what the old gods fear, and why they may be trying to use us?
    Could "the child of light and shadow that will bring an end to the war" be Sylvanas rather than Illidan? (who refused the Naaru)
    The undead as the enemy of all? Perhaps Bolvar stepping in to balance undeath and raising new death knights from all who fell in the fourth war to fight against Sylvanas corrupted shadow faction in 9.0?
    Last edited by Rune B; 2019-10-19 at 01:06 AM.

Sadly the "head" of the Forgotten Shadow, Natalie Seline, popped up in Legion, but her model is that of a live human (Blizz wanted to SUBVERT by having Alonsus Faol be undead and Seline be alive I guess?), she hasn't shown up since, and the "Forgotten shadow" hasn't gotten any other mention ingame.

And Sylvanas has no connection to light.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    And Sylvanas has no connection to light.

Perhaps that door was opened with the resurrection of Calia Menethil?

"The light has struck a bargain with the enemy of all."

This would require the writing team to like, know something about the Forsaken, which they don't seem to. So as much as I'd want this, I doubt it.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    This would require the writing team to like, know something about the Forsaken, which they don't seem to. So as much as I'd want this, I doubt it.
    Interesting, the writers of a story don't know anything about a part of their story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin Johnson PI View Post
    Interesting, the writers of a story don't know anything about a part of their story.
    A lot of BFA would put that into question, yes. Specially regarding the Forsaken.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    A lot of BFA would put that into question, yes. Specially regarding the Forsaken.
    They're the ones writing the story. Whether or not we agree with it doesn't matter. The Forsaken are as Blizzard would have them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin Johnson PI View Post
    They're the ones writing the story. Whether or not we agree with it doesn't matter. The Forsaken are as Blizzard would have them.
    Just because they are the ones writing the story doesn't mean that they aren't writing a bad or more accurately, inconsistant one. Otherwise criticism or controversies like Game of Thrones season 8 wouldn't exist. Being a creator doesn't make you immune to mistakes or failure.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Just because they are the ones writing the story doesn't mean that they aren't writing a bad or more accurately, inconsistant one. Otherwise criticism or controversies like Game of Thrones season 8 wouldn't exist. Being a creator doesn't make you immune to mistakes or failure.
    I agree. Still doesn't change the canon and therefore the writers not knowing anything about the Forsaken is at best a moot point in this matter, wouldn't you say? It's unfortunate they don't know how to write for them, but it is what it is lol.

I'm pretty sure Sylvanas is going into business for herself and possibly serving someone else as well who has promised her eternal life (or undeath anyway). I think the question is what place she will have in 9.0. As a major baddie, minor baddie or an anti-hero. Some have suggested a third faction is in the works, others that a major feature of the next expansion might be that we have to choose between working with Sylvanas or working with the Old Gods.