Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

1800-2200 dollar 4k editing pc

This is a tricky one and i just can't figure it out myself.

I have been building a lot of pc's the last couple of years but at the moment i am really stuck for my new personal build.

Current system runs everything just fine, but i am moving into 4k video editing and i need a better system for that. (Mostly action sports)

Sadly i can't find any good tips online about builds and also prices / "example" builds are either way too expensive and i just cant find proper info what i need. (Certain websites talk 4000 dollars for 4k editing / others say you can do it with 2k)

I would like a scratch disc as m.2 or nvme storage to access footage that i am editing. Backup can be handled on hdd to save costs or added later.

And since it will prolly draw some power or be running a lot due to encoding or other tasks a gold rated psu would be great.

My current build is in my signature and except 1 ssd in there, id rather keep it as is for gaming as it works just fine. (Since it is already close to 3 years old i want a new fresh system for editing)

A good 4k monitor would be nice aswell, if that doesnt fit in the current budget i hope there are atleast some tips on what to get and sort that out a month later.

Final note; budget wise anything in the 1800 - 2200 dollar or euro range would work (almost similar anyway atm) and since amazon.de doesnt ship to The Netherlands id rather get tips on parts to use and then check with local webshops for current price (hence the room in budget)

Final final note: performance outways looks for me, rgb or fancy cases are not really needed. Id rather spend that money elsewhere.

Budget
    1800 - 2200 euro or dollars. Budget can be streched a bit.
    Resolution
    4k video editing
    Games / Settings Desired
    Editing only
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    4k video editing, mostly gopro 7 / 8 black footage.
    Country
    The Netherlands (cant order from Amazon.de sadly)
    Parts that can be reused
    essentially an SSD for the OS
    Do you need an OS?
    Windows 10
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    A good 4k monitor for said editing.

Thanks in advance for all the help and effort! I know it aint an easy list ������
    Last edited by Augusta138; 2019-10-19 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Spelling / extra info

10+ Year Old Account
    What program(s) do you use to edit?
    Is the monitor part of the budget? Do you need it to be colour accurate?
    You say you can reuse an SSD, do you still need an NVMe for video storage?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The re-useable ssd is only enough for an OS and thats it. (Got another 120gb samsung laying here)

The programs are devinci and premiere pro.

Monitor can be bought later, a lot of projects need more footage that i still need to record which takes up time.

Since holiday season is coming up including black friday and cyber monday i thought lets ask whats the best to built.
    Last edited by Augusta138; 2019-10-19 at 08:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can wait with the monitor but need the system now, at around 2000 euro (with monitor for convenience):
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€338.95 @ Megekko)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (€214.85 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€97.00 @ Megekko)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€97.00 @ Megekko)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€174.95 @ Megekko)
    Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€195.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card (€789.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
    Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.85 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
    Monitor: LG 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (€302.95 @ Megekko)
    Total: €2379.50
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-19 11:44 CEST+0200
    I'm not familiar with Davinci resolve, so depending on the CPU usage, it might be worth going with a 3900x and a 2070 super instead of 3700x and 2080 super.

Let's go through everything though:
    3700x/3900x: AMD just offers the best value for your work tasks atm.
    Cooler: The stock cooler is good enough
    MOBO: Don't need anything super fancy, the Aorus elite is perfectly adequate
    RAM: Wanted a 2x16gb kit, but they weren't available at 3600 out of the box, so have to deal with a 4x8gb kit. It'll limit your upgrade options, but that's about it. 32gb because it'll matter for editing, and fast because Ryzen scales with memory speed
    SSD: Went Samsung for SSD storage because they have a fantastic warranty and if you're going to be doing actual work on it, I think it's worth paying the extra. That said, you can also go with 2 1TB Intel 660's in Raid 1 instead, for a bit extra money. You could also go with the more expensive Corsair MP600 gen4. It'll run at PCIe gen 4 speeds, so will be faster. I'm not sure if it matters for 4k video though, I don't think you're maxing out PCIe gen 3
    HDD: Big, cheapish, and rated for 24/7 operation
    GPU: Premiere does wonderful with CUDA, so that locks us into Nvidia, and the 2080 super is close to the best you can get. The 2080 ti is like 5-10% better, but costs 50% more. Stepping down to a 2070 super is a 10-15% downgrade, but saves a good chunk of money, but I'd only recommend doing it if you plan on upgrading to a 3900x
    Case: Eh, whatever. The H510 is good, cheap(ish), and looks fine. Pick something you like the look of that doesn't choke the airflow
    PSU: Cheapest 750W gold rated PSU in NL that I trust won't blow up
    As for monitor, I'm not familiar with the market in the NL, but according to PCPP, the best bet you have would be the LG 27UD58-B.. That said, they only list 6 4k IPS monitors for sale, so I'm not sure if there are others, and I'm not super into colour accuracy, so it might not be the best

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for putting in the time and effort!

And nice for the extra details on parts. Davinci is more cpu heavy i believe but atm i am using both programs but i want to switch to premiere pro tho in the long run.

Ill take a look into the parts and start ordering them i guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Augusta138 View Post
    Thanks for putting in the time and effort!

And nice for the extra details on parts. Davinci is more cpu heavy i believe but atm i am using both programs but i want to switch to premiere pro tho in the long run.

Ill take a look into the parts and start ordering them i guess
    Give it a while before you order. Black Friday is coming up, and Europe is starting to celebrate it, so you'll probably be able to get some pretty good deals on some components.

Also to give other people with different ideas a change to come with some suggestions.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Give it a while before you order. Black Friday is coming up, and Europe is starting to celebrate it, so you'll probably be able to get some pretty good deals on some components.

Also to give other people with different ideas a change to come with some suggestions.
    Yeah, silly me...

My brain is totally a mess lately
    Last edited by Augusta138; 2019-10-19 at 12:14 PM.

Me and a friend assemble computers for a hobby and are intrested in expanding on that in the benelux.
    We put togeter this build. We think its tailored to what you need.

CPU: amd ryzen 9 3900x at 3.800 MHz (€575,00 @ azerty)
    Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS AM4 socket (€227.90 @ alternate)
    Memory: vengeance LPX ddr 4 3200 Mhz 32 GB (2x16) (€192.00 @ alternate) (easily expandable to 64g comes in handy sooner rather then later).
    Optional: G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC (€194,50 @Azerty )
    Storage: Samsung 1 tb, 970 EVO PRO SSD NVME MLC m.2-2280 (€323,06 @ azerty)
    Video Card: Asus Geforce GTX 1660-TI 6gb OC (€324 @ alternate)
    Optional: if you plan to do more GPU intensive things in the future
    (for now your GPU requirements do not seem that extreme)
    MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO (625,00 @Azerty @Azerty)

Case: Be quiet PURE BASE 500 (€62,00 @ azerty)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR RM Series RM750 (2019) gold 80+ fully modular (€86 @ azerty)
    CPU cooling: Noctua NH-U12A cpu-koeler (€99,90 @Alternate)

CPU: I believe for your needs you should go all in on the CPU thats why this build went for the ryzen 9 3900x
    It will give you such good performance for your video editing which really benefits from having a strong cpu. You really cant go wrong with this choice.
    mobo:Basic motherboard that complements the ryzen.
    memory: This one was a bit of a toss up, i usually prefer corsair vengeance but we couldnt find any 3600 mhz memory in the benelux that comes in
    2x16g which is your best option for expanding later (so all your mem slots arent filled with 8gigs).
    Thats why i included two options: you can either go with the budget friendly 3200 Mhz option from corsair or the optimal 3600 Mhz G.skill
    trident. The latter will give you optimal performance but the increased cost is quite high.
    Storage:This one seems an expensive option but that is because its an MLC. Because you specifically want to use it as a scratch disk the MLC option
    will make sure you do not suffer too much degradation. performing lots of write actions, and thats exactly what you plan to use this ssd for will cause the SSD to degrade picking an MLC will buy you alot more time before this kicks in.
    GPU: you have 2 choices here, from what i can gather you currently mostly use CPU intensive applications.
    for that reason i decided on the gtx 1660-ti its a solid card that will pull its weight for most editing,Take the 1660-ti if you need to cut costs.
    However if you plan to change to more GPU intensive editing its probably a good idea to invest in the rtx 2070 that will give you a strong performance boost.
    case: standard case you can choose whatever you feel like here.
    PSU:Solid psu from corsair cant really go wrong with this one, gold certified as you requested.
    Cpu cooling: Eventhough the wraith cooler is a decent cooler i would still recommend paying extra to upgrade to a noctua.
    Having your CPU run at lower temperatures will ensure your system stays healthy and prevent any loss of performance under high load.

Total: €1919.01 with the basic config, €2189 with the rtx 2070.
    Monitors currently fall outside of our expertise so we dont really want to make any judgement calls on that.

note: the ryzen 9 3950x is comming out soon and has been shown to be extremly promising. It might be worth waiting a bit and see what happends to the cpu market.
    Last edited by keldarepewpew; 2019-10-20 at 09:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Temp names' build, I just would like to comment that I feel you should go 64GB RAM instead of 32GB for the headroom if youre doing large 4k projects. The 3600 mhz ram he has is sick but if budget doesnt allow it, 64GB of 3200+ will do you good still. Even 3k is good

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Once again my thanks for the extra build lists and info.

Might indeed wait and check out performance of the 3950x and also it might change some prices of other cpu's.

I will atleast change the ram to 64 gb also to future proof. And given the info i have gathered about the software i use, the 64 gigs of ram will be a good choice

Overall, the help so far is amazing and finally i got a clear view of what i need.

Thanks so far for the great input!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Augusta138 View Post
    Once again my thanks for the extra build lists and info.

Might indeed wait and check out performance of the 3950x and also it might change some prices of other cpu's.

I will atleast change the ram to 64 gb also to future proof. And given the info i have gathered about the software i use, the 64 gigs of ram will be a good choice

Overall, the help so far is amazing and finally i got a clear view of what i need.

Thanks so far for the great input!
    I don't think 64gb will be necessary, but it can't really hurt that much.
    Using the rest of my build and just changing out to double the ram: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/4MWqk6

I dont think you need to put in the 64gig now but i would invest in buying 2x16 instead of 4x8 to keep those slots open for when you need to expand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    CPU: I believe for your needs you should go all in on the CPU thats why this build went for the ryzen 9 3900x
    It will give you such good performance for your video editing which really benefits from having a strong cpu. You really cant go wrong with this choice.
    While yes, video editing is reliant on a decent CPU, the 3700x is good enough for just 4k video. Rendering in premiere is mostly done with GPU anyway

mobo:Basic motherboard that complements the ryzen.
    Agreed

memory: This one was a bit of a toss up, i usually prefer corsair vengeance but we couldnt find any 3600 mhz memory in the benelux that comes in
    2x16g which is your best option for expanding later (so all your mem slots arent filled with 8gigs).
    Thats why i included two options: you can either go with the budget friendly 3200 Mhz option from corsair or the optimal 3600 Mhz G.skill
    trident. The latter will give you optimal performance but the increased cost is quite high.
    The extra cost really isn't that much. It's around 10 euro per kit more, not something to run away from, at least if you don't buy the most expensive RAM you can find at that speed

Storage:This one seems an expensive option but that is because its an MLC. Because you specifically want to use it as a scratch disk the MLC option
    will make sure you do not suffer too much degradation. performing lots of write actions, and thats exactly what you plan to use this ssd for will cause the SSD to degrade picking an MLC will buy you alot more time before this kicks in.
    The 970 evo pro uses "3-bit MLC" which is called TLC by normal people, and it's absolutely not worth paying DOUBLE for over the 970 evo non-pro, which also uses TLC. The only advantage it has is ~200mb/s write more, which if you want, just buy a PCIe Gen4 SSD

GPU: you have 2 choices here, from what i can gather you currently mostly use CPU intensive applications.
    for that reason i decided on the gtx 1660-ti its a solid card that will pull its weight for most editing,Take the 1660-ti if you need to cut costs.
    However if you plan to change to more GPU intensive editing its probably a good idea to invest in the rtx 2070 that will give you a strong performance boost.
    The 1660ti is "enough" in the same way that a 1050 would be enough. Yes you can make do with it, but when your job depends on it, buy something that'll make it go faster. Disagree on the model of 2070 super you picked as well, the Ventus is mediocre

case: standard case you can choose whatever you feel like here.
    Agreed

PSU:Solid psu from corsair cant really go wrong with this one, gold certified as you requested.
    Disagreed. The model you picked is an older design which is much worse, and you're overpaying for it.

Cpu cooling: Eventhough the wraith cooler is a decent cooler i would still recommend paying extra to upgrade to a noctua.
    Having your CPU run at lower temperatures will ensure your system stays healthy and prevent any loss of performance under high load.
    Disagree. The stock cooler is enough to make sure it won't thermal throttle.

agreed on the 2070 changed it to a better one.
    The psu is an outdated one ill change it to a more resent version that missed it while thinking about the other parts. I was under the impression the software he uses was alot more cpu intensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Disagree. The stock cooler is enough to make sure it won't thermal throttle.
    I have seen benchmarks where the 3900 with stock cooler does start to throttle a bit under heavy load. The 3700 didnt have this though.
    Last edited by keldarepewpew; 2019-10-20 at 09:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have seen benchmarks where the 3900 with stock cooler does start to throttle a bit under heavy load. The 3700 didnt have this though.
    Under what loads? Because under realistic work loads it doesn't. Under something like P95, then yeah, but nothing will ever load your CPU that hard in the real world

Under what loads? Because under realistic work loads it doesn't. Under something like P95, then yeah, but nothing will ever load your CPU that hard in the real world
    True there is no harm in trying out the stock cooler and just monitoring the temp a bit during your normal activities i suppose. I personally have had bad experiences with stock coolers but i havent tried the wraith yet.

- - - Updated - - -

what do you think about this memory Temp name ?
    https://azerty.nl/product/gskill/397...-geheugen-ddr4

allows you to easily expand and its 3600 Mhz.
    Last edited by keldarepewpew; 2019-10-20 at 09:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    True there is no harm in trying out the stock cooler and just monitoring the temp a bit during your normal activities i suppose. I personally have had bad experiences with stock coolers but i havent tried the wraith yet.

- - - Updated - - -

what do you think about this memory Temp name ?
    https://azerty.nl/product/gskill/397...-geheugen-ddr4

allows you to easily expand and its 3600 Mhz.
    Intels stock coolers are garbage, and I'm glad they stopped shipping them with the k-series chips because it's just waste. AMDs stock coolers are actually decent

As for that RAM, it's pretty expensive compared to this kit: https://www.megekko.nl/product/2046/...Geheugenmodule Yeah it's a bit faster, but not 20 euro faster, I don't think

Intels stock coolers are garbage, and I'm glad they stopped shipping them with the k-series chips because it's just waste. AMDs stock coolers are actually decent

As for that RAM, it's pretty expensive compared to this kit: https://www.megekko.nl/product/2046/...Geheugenmodule Yeah it's a bit faster, but not 20 euro faster, I don't think
    Yea that kit seems good. Id put in 32gig in this build of that and leave room open. Intel stock coolers still give me nightmares probably why im so biased.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account

Starting to? In Norway these fuckers are doing Black Week, Month and one of them even did Black Summer last year.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Starting to? In Norway these fuckers are doing Black Week, Month and one of them even did Black Summer last year.
    Black friday / cyber monday are a thing in The Netherlands for around 4-5 years now. although the last 2 years we see more aggressive price drops for these events.

Before that they were just your regular weekly or monthly deal from your local store.