Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    sorry, PoE is trash, Grim Dawn is better than PoE but lacks the combat refinement Diablo 3 has).
    This is just laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Deventh View Post
    That can't be further from the truth.

The thing is that developing MMO costs a lot. And if a new company attempts that and it fails to deliver then the company is GG. However, an experienced company with millions of fans like Blizzard can easily do another MMO if they so desire. And the best candidate right now for that is none other than Diablo.
    Totally bang-on correct!

I mean, that's how WOW happened. Blizz wasn't no startup. They took a portion of their amazing profits from their Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft franchises, and slooowly developed WoW over many many years.

People seem to forget that Final Fantasy 15 and ES:O are also doing fantastic, they're flourishing and not going away anytime soon.

It's these dumb doinks like the developers at Wildstar who thought it was a great idea to make a multi-milion dollar game from a startup funding salary that fell apart.

Personally I'd rather have World of Starcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    How would a lootfest game work in an MMO setting ?
    What is Destiny 2...

would be cool, a top down mmo, like runescape or dofus, but obvioulsy with tradtional diablo gameplay

They said they wanted diablo 4 to be an rpg like skyrim or witcher. This may be it.

and yet they're not even successful with shooter and mobile games.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    Personally I'd rather have World of Starcraft.
    same, and they were so close to making it!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    I would not expect Blizzard to make another foray into the MMORPG genre in the foreseeable future. The genre is effectively dead and nearly impossible to break into for new games.

At the end of the day, it's easier for Blizzard to just make multiple smaller projects that each target a specific audience, rather than making a single massive game that has to please everyone to stand a chance of succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbselle View Post
    Overwatch and Hearthstone were both top grossing games worldwide for years after launch. WoW and Hearthstone are still in the top ten on PC, and Overwatch only fell out of the top ten this year.

To say either of those games isn't successful is just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    and maybe Blizzard was worried that WoW would run out of steam and they need something else?
    I indeed recall personally that was the worry of the investors, back then.

Something like "Blizzard have only WoW, they need to diversify, for safety".

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    WoW Classic: Hold my beer!
    WoW Classic proves nothing, the population has been at a steady decline and servers are getting smaller and smaller. By mid 2020 Classic will be filled with low pop servers during prime time with a handful of high pop servers(same as retail). Classic is still currently in it's "honeymoon stage", but a lot of people have realized they were wrong about the difficulty of max level activities and have started leaving. MMO's are a dying breed, primarily because several studios stopped caring about making a quality game/expansion and only cared about maximizing profits.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Welll....Overwatch, salvaged from the wreckage seemed to have worked, but guess the whole experience also shows how WoW was lightning in a bottle which not even competitors had a hard time catching again, but also Blizzard themselves.
    I actually disagree with that. I don't think Blizzard thought twice about "catching lightning in a bottle". I think they simply though twice about producing an FPSMMO from a parent company who, a mere few days before canceling it, announced they were releasing an FPSMMO from Bungie. People seem to forget that the Blizzard cancellation announcement of Project Titan happened a mere few days after Activision announced they were working with Bungie on an FPSMMO. To me, that's too close to be a mere co-incidence.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Mmos time isn't over, what's over is bad mmos as classic is proving. Good mmos get played and praised.

Stop regurgitating stupidity
    Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    That wont happen. MMO's time is about over.

At best something like monster hunter, but not a full scale mmo like wow.
    It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Keep in mind the genre was pretty darn obscure before WoW came onto the scene. Yes, the genre has been in its worst state since Nov 2004, but is still in a way better state than anything before that, where the biggest MMO only had a few 100k people.

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Totally bang-on correct!

I mean, that's how WOW happened. Blizz wasn't no startup. They took a portion of their amazing profits from their Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft franchises, and slooowly developed WoW over many many years.

People seem to forget that Final Fantasy 15 and ES:O are also doing fantastic, they're flourishing and not going away anytime soon.

It's these dumb doinks like the developers at Wildstar who thought it was a great idea to make a multi-milion dollar game from a startup funding salary that fell apart.
    Blizzard had investors sinking millions into Blizzard from day 1. It took alot more money that Blizzard had.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbselle View Post
    Hearthstone says hi. And Candy Crush Saga raked in $1.5 billion last year. (Yeah, Blizzard owns that game too).

I would say at least half your statement is false.

No.

MMOs are in a weird spot right now, and it would actually be prejudicial for blizzard to have two competing MMOs.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2019-10-19 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Blizzard had investors sinking millions into Blizzard from day 1. It took alot more money that Blizzard had.
    Oh pish-posh... splitting hairs here... my point still stands about it being large companies that can produce MMOs, and very successful ones today.... and you damn well know that. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Oh pish-posh... splitting hairs here... my point still stands about it being large companies that can produce MMOs, and very successful ones today.... and you damn well know that. ;P
    Then why imply that Blizzard was some small company that was scraping for years to make WoW with their own profits?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Look, Blizzard will never create an mmorpg that will serve as a direct competitor to WoW. It’d be a horrible decision.
    The years and money they put in development for Titan would say you're wrong about that. They certainly had it in mind to do just that and spent quite a lot of their resources on bringing it home before abandoning it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-10-19 at 09:54 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Then why imply that Blizzard was some small company that was scraping for years to make WoW with their own profits?
    ...when did I call them a small company!? o_O

Wasn't an implication at all. My implication was they became a big company (relative for its time) with the successes of WC 1-3, Starcraft and Diablo - and THATS when they started working on WoW, through successive successes to become the big company that they were at that time.

I'd say the moment they went from "small" to "Large" was when WC1, maybe 2, did gangbusters. Again, relative to the time. Blizzard wasn't nearly as big as they are today as they were when they first started working on WoW.

How the heck can you interpret publishing all those games and sequels as me implying a "Small company"? o_O
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2019-10-19 at 09:54 PM.