Page 1 of 3
LastLast

MMOrpg genre is not dead

WoW classic gave a proof of that. Even with all its flaws and age WoWclassic beats the cr@p out of retail at both fronts: mmo, and rpg. Current retail is barely either.
    Do you think 9.0 (and onwards) could be less of BfA and more vanilla/classic-like? Or we are past the point of "no return"?

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    WoW classic gave a proof of that. Even with all its flaws and age WoWclassic beats the cr@p out of retail at both fronts: mmo, and rpg. Current retail is barely either.
    Do you think 9.0 (and onwards) could be less of BfA and more vanilla/classic-like? Or we are past the point of "no return"?
    i guess i am stepping into troll den, but... how exactly you measure classic success?

Not sure pointing to an old(er) product to prove the MMORPG market is not dead makes the best case.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Not sure pointing to an old(er) product to prove the MMORPG market is not dead makes the best case.
    An old product selling like its new is kind of the definition of market not dead, the market is people who would play, not the games selling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorish View Post
    i guess i am stepping into troll den, but... how exactly you measure classic success?
    Shh...let some people have their dreams

7+ Year Old Account
    I declare the fortnite genre dead. So it is written so it shall be so.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDsXo View Post
    An old product selling like its new is kind of the definition of market not dead, the market is people who would play, not the games selling.
    its not really selling as its basicaly free for a lot of ppl and really cheap for rest... if it sells couple milions copies at full price of wow expansion that would be a huge success, like this its really hard to say now, we have to wait couple months to see how many servers will be dead

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    retail wow will not change to be more like vanila wow, Ion said it clearly, who want to experience vanila can play CLASSIC, retail wow will remain retail wow...
    as for "classic beats the crap out of retail" part, thats personal opinion showing noting at all... how about we wait a bit so we can see how dead classic is? its out less than a month and some servers are already ghost towns...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    I simply wish it might be true. Eh...

Back to topic. Nah... WoW classic didin't proved that MMO's are alive. It didin't proved actually anything than nostalgia is bitch?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Not dead yet" to quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's much diminished, however, and there are very few studios getting ready to roll out anything that looks like it could be competitive to World of Warcraft. When there are very few new genre titles in the pipeline it's the next thing to it. The sort of "premium MMO" represented by WoW, FFXIV and some others with a subscription fee and the rest are more or less rumbling along. B2P and F2P titles may or may not be doing well. Personally I love Guild Wars II but the genre is no longer seen as a candidate for a mass-market title and the required investment to create one. The past few years are littered with MMO's that didn't live up to expectations and have either closed down entirely or are rolling along with few if any updates.

Sincere congratulations to a title like the two Runescapes that are surviving OK apparently on around 100,000 users. That's not dead, but it's not growing either. Same with the genre and its market niche.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The genre might not be dead but it does need some serious revitalizing if its gonna be what it once was.

WoW is still the game I have played the most by far, atleast 12.000 hours, since I was 13 years old so as much as the genre itself is a niche and in dire straits I do still love WoW dearly.

I feel like MMOs just went the wrong way.
    They all try to adapt to how other games move forwards, but forgot theyr essence and perhaps should go back to scratch and evolve in some other form.
    Dont go mobile, dont make the world a «hub»/lobby for instanced stuff.

Also, the bigger MMOs always seem to have a problem with letting older content die out, leaving old systems behind for too long and making the treshhold for new players to join rougher and roughers as things introduced down the line doesnt have a organic introduction.

Older content, wich used to be viable, just ends ip being filler content you dont get to experience when its viable. There is no reward for doing it.

Also, why do MMOs compromize the fun the further they progress?

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Finally some great news!

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsbum View Post
    I feel like MMOs just went the wrong way.
    They all try to adapt to how other games move forwards, but forgot theyr essence and perhaps should go back to scratch and evolve in some other form.
    Dont go mobile, dont make the world a «hub»/lobby for instanced stuff.
    exactly, its not genre that's dead, it's developers without... a vision
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootsbum View Post
    Also, the bigger MMOs always seem to have a problem with letting older content die out, leaving old systems behind for too long and making the treshhold for new players to join rougher and roughers as things introduced down the line doesnt have a organic introduction.

Older content, wich used to be viable, just ends ip being filler content you dont get to experience when its viable. There is no reward for doing it.

Also, why do MMOs compromize the fun the further they progress?
    current WoW is the biggest offender here really, every single expansion starting from AND including TBC made old content obsolete on the switch- for this reason I'd go as far and say WoW never really had a proper "expansion" in essence- merely a "content replacement packs" at best

The last new AAA-MMORPG releases were in 2014, when WildStar and ESO launched.
    The genre is pretty dead.

I have some hopes for the amazon Lord of the Rings MMORPG.

This topic is way too complex to do it justice with not even 3 full lines of text. The largest mmo market in asia has completely fractured into mobile games with shit tier graphics and worse gameplay for example. Gaming habits also change overall.

Also the title had nothing to do with the barely hidden classic bait in the OP.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Of course it isn't dead. It's not most popular genre, but situation is far better than 2004 before WoW launched. And it has nothing to do with Classic, beside WoW we have other big players like ESO or FFXIV that release and sell expansion on regular basis and still more studios try to get their piece of cake with new MMOs.

To be honest, I even think it's better than 2005-2010, when we had just WoW and few niche games that tried to copy it's success. Also when I look on games like Fortnite, I'm glad that WoW is not #1 anymore, because they would have to cater to THAT crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by M00nty View Post
    The last new AAA-MMORPG releases were in 2014, when WildStar and ESO launched.
    The genre is pretty dead.

I have some hopes for the amazon Lord of the Rings MMORPG.
    Wait, the amazon one is in the LotR universe?

WoW minus 15 years of content and patching.

No thank you. Classic holds appeal for nostalgia value and newcomers who never played classic but heard oldtimers talk about it constantly.

As for the genre... it's slim pickings indeed.

i think 52 card pickup is better than retail and classic

clearly the market for 52 card pickup must be huge

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really say I agree, most people don't want to play MMOs anymore due to the time needed to play, and how it's not a casual game like Fifa or such.

Anything is going to look good compared to Retail WoW because it's turned completely into garbage over the years and bled pretty much the whole playerbase as a result, not hard to make something look good when you compare it to that. If they released some sub number info for Classic it would be nice.