Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Journey to the Center of Azeroth: Expansion Idea

I know the next expansion won’t be out for another 20 months or so, but for some people, speculating about the next expansion is all they have at this point.

Most people seem to think the next expansion will be either Void/Space themed or Undeath themed. However, I think that’s wrong because A) the realm of Death was not introduced until BfA, and the following expansion almost never goes off of something just introduced in the previous one (Void Lords were confirmed in Legion, but we got BfA right after), and B) we just went to space/different planets in WOD and Legion (people are tired of it).

However, I do think the next expansion will be themed around the Void Lord’s incursions to Azeroth. BUT instead of going up to space to fight them, we will be going down, underground, into the heart of Azeroth itself and exploring the underground empires.

Why?

There is already precedent for it in the WoW Lore. In Hearthstone, one of the last bosses in the Kobolds and Catacombs expansion was a void entity known as The Darkness. And again, in Highmountain you encounter a special mob known as Devouring Darkness which is again another void entity. We also know that the Old God, the minions of the Void Lords, burrowed into the earth upon coming to Azeroth. Every time we’ve fought them, it has been underground (or underwater). Their tendrils snake deep into Azeroth, trying to reach her core to corrupt it. So there is obviously a connection between the deep, dark, underground places of Azeroth and the Void. I will try to add more examples as I remember them.

So basically, to combat the Void and their efforts to corrupt Azeroth, we will be going down, not up.

What would it look like?

If you’re picturing just a bunch of caves, something like Deepholm, that’s not it at all. I envision something based off the Journey to the Center of the Earth novel (not the Brendan Frasier movie adaption), where after going underground and getting passed the caverns and the lava, they encounter whole new ecosystems underground with prehistoric creatures and lost civilizations. Some of these underground caverns being so huge, they almost have their own skies.

What would the zones and creatures be like?

It would be pretty sweet if they set it up so that each zone you explore takes you deeper and deeper into Azeroth. Like you are journeying to the core to save her from the Void Lords’ corruption.

-The first zone would be your basic cavernous, underground area where we start the expedition. I picture something like Deepholm, but with more mushroom forests and underground rivers. This is where we would encounter creatures like Troggs and Kobolds and other underground races that are typically seen on the surface too. The storyline of this zone would involve trying to find a path deeper into the core of Azeroth, while dealing with these hostile creatures and the void minions.

-The next zone would be a lava themed zone as we travel through the fiery mantle of Azeroth. I envision lots of elementals here who serve as guardians of inner core areas. Not too much life going on here. Just lots of fire and lava pools. Kind of Firelands-esque.

-After passing through the lava zone, we would encounter whole new ecosystems in the planet’s core. Massive caverns with whole ecosystems of prehistoric and brand new creatures. We would encounter new civilizations too. Underground seas, forests, and jungles could exist here, similar to the novel…

This level could easily be 3 zones large. As well as new civilizations and races, we’d encounter some of the known ones here too. The remnants of the Nerubian empire could easily have a whole zone dedicated to them. I'd imagine the Blingtron empire might be here as well, but I suppose they could be closer to the core too serving as the World Soul's protectors.

The 5 preceding zones would serve as the initial areas in-game at launch. The next two areas would be added as the story progresses:

-The next zone we have to explore is the last one before reaching the final core. It would be a zone of almost complete darkness, where you have to have a light source with you in order to explore it. This is where most of the Void Lord’s power is located. And our battle with them would reach its climax.
    I’m picturing the darkest caves we’ve ever experienced in WoW, where void entities and dark, twisted creatures who have never seen natural light reside.

-The final zone is when we reach the Core of Azeroth and come “face to face” with the World Soul. I picture a zone of bright light to contrast the previous zone, with the void invading it to corrupt Azeroth once and for all.

What would the new features be?

As this expansion is largely themed around our exhibition to the Center of Azeroth, I think the Tinker class would fit in very well. This is because instead of a magic based expansion, it would be more scientific one, as we have to harness technology that can get us there.

Of course, as a Void themed expansion, a new void-themed class might work too. But I would prefer the Tinker.

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?

Would anyone else like to play this expansion?
    Last edited by Nomads; 2018-12-28 at 03:57 AM.

Seems like a good possibility. If we assume that the oceans of Azeroth are well enough crowded already and they're not going to keep throwing continents around, our options are:

1. Space
    2. Alternate/side dimensions, I.E. Shadowlands
    3. Underground

The mecha-gnomes in the next patch open up the idea of lost underground civilizations that have been sort of hinted at in Blingtron flavor texts for years. Also, we never truly got to explore the Nerubian empire, which is supposed to be massive and also underground. If we wind up fighting off N'zoth at the end of this expansion, I can see him running away and digging himself into the heart of Azeroth, which would make our next big play going down there and rooting him out.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

I like this idea a lot - except for the Tinker/Science parts. Never been a fan of combining that kind of stuff with fantasy and WoW has plenty of that already (in my humble opinion). Otherwise, I do think the concept is quite interesting and they could do a lot with it.

I'd love to see something like that as I'm a huge fan of the Titan mythos in the WoW universe. Going deeper into Azeroth to explore all of the deep titan complexes, I mean REALLY explore them, and combat the void entities that might be down there, or even simply to excise the old gods and the minions we've already fought would be cool.

I don't find this that far fetched given what's going on now in BfA, the Heart of Azeroth, the wound, the void and Magni.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    the Heart of Azeroth, the wound, the void and Magni.
    Oh, that gives me an idea: at the end of BfA, we use our Hearts to destroy the sword itself and the hole it leaves is the passage down into the inner workings of the planet, and our gateway to the next expansion.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Hmm, looks quite interesting. I'm usually critical to such concepts, but that one seems fine I hate the idea that we have been introduced to - world-souls. But that one actually fits there nicely. Good job

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    Oh, that gives me an idea: at the end of BfA, we use our Hearts to destroy the sword itself and the hole it leaves is the passage down into the inner workings of the planet, and our gateway to the next expansion.
    THAT and have a big event leading to it, like the AQ event for the server... well now the shard.

Once the sword is removed an army of void creatures rush out and try to over run us... VOID/SCARABS

I think an event like that could definitely be the catalyst and the wound could definitely be an entry site, but there are already MANY entrances that could be used throughout the world in the form of the Titan complexes we've already visited and seen the massive tunnels leading down with elevators and such. The different zones in the expansion could be reached directly from one of these tunnel shafts as well as be interconnected once down there, but maybe have a blockage or something that would force you to find an alternate entry...just thinking about exploring underground and how there's sure to be collapses and growths (rocks, geodes, giant plant life, etc...), or pockets of nothing or whatever that could get in the way.

The wound itself I see as more of a location for a major encounter, due to an "infection" of some sort, where we have to complete the encounter to staunch the bleeding and "bandage" the wound to keep the planet alive while we go explore further down to see take care of the deeper problem and ultimately close the wound and save Azeroth, both the planet and the Titan.

Journey to the center of Azeroth would be a bit surprising, although we are not unfamiliar with huge landmasses showing up on the map.

I think travelling to other worlds instead opens an endless range of themes and designs which can't happen on Earth-like Azeroth. I really like the space-fantasy theme, portals between worlds, great arcane mysteries and cosmic forces "beyond our comprehension".

I loved the Legion star destroyers and portal network to invade worlds. Demons lurking in the Twisting Nether and powerful beings shaping planets.

I wouldn't mind if every expansion had that. My favorite ones Burning Crusade and Legion both resolve within that theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe this is the most feasible step forward after BfA.

An expansion concept based on K'aresh
    #TeamK'aresh #TeamWorldRevamp

I don't know if it could be interesting when every map is deepholm.

It seems like a cool idea, but we still havent seen the other side of azeroth, where they can write the story as they want since iirc there isn't much info about it.
    For example mechagon would have an exit linking to the other side of azeroth.

and then it turns out the WoW world is flat and you fall into a void
    hit & run posting lol

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I don't know if it could be interesting when every map is deepholm.
    Not every zone would have to be rocks and cavern-like. You could do some underground lakes and ecosystems (lots of greenery and exotic animals (think un'goro but underground). Light sources could be from crystals or molten lava. A whole zone of fire and lava would be interesting (even different from Firelands). The only thing you wouldn't get is a sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Maell View Post
    It seems like a cool idea, but we still havent seen the other side of azeroth, where they can write the story as they want since iirc there isn't much info about it.
    For example mechagon would have an exit linking to the other side of azeroth.
    There have been globes in Titan facilities that show there isn't a back half to Azeroth; EK are directly west of Kalimdor with nothing in between. Granted, it's not hard canon and they could always plop some more islands back there, but I think after Legion and BfA everyone will be well shot of islands for a while.

There have been globes in Titan facilities that show there isn't a back half to Azeroth; EK are directly west of Kalimdor with nothing in between. Granted, it's not hard canon and they could always plop some more islands back there, but I think after Legion and BfA everyone will be well shot of islands for a while.
    If titan globes were to be correct wouldnt they show Kalimdor before the Sundering? Or if they were made after the Sundering they would show some land masses between Kalimdor and EK.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Azjol-Nerub, Undermine and tunnels beneath Gnomeregan been areas mentioned to be huge underground areas, but were never expanded in-game zones out beyond their Dungeons.

Could be pretty cool theme involving the true core of Azeroth being attacked by Old God tendrils / minions as we've seen many times in questing over multiple expansions to exist underground & undersea.

And then the whole Titan side of things, the Earthen and Mechagnome areas. And the many earthen that turned into Troggs.

We also see no Drogbar beyond the Broken Isles, so maybe there could be more of them still elsewhere.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-12-19 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalar View Post
    I believe this is the most feasible step forward after BfA.
    Thanks! I like your expansion ideas too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maell View Post
    If titan globes were to be correct wouldnt they show Kalimdor before the Sundering? Or if they were made after the Sundering they would show some land masses between Kalimdor and EK.
    They might be able to update themselves in real time to reflect the current form of Azeroth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Azjol-Nerub, Undermine and tunnels beneath Gnomeregan been areas mentioned to be huge underground areas, but were never expanded in-game zones out beyond their Dungeons.

Could be pretty cool theme involving the true core of Azeroth being attacked by Old God tendrils / minions as we've seen many times in questing over multiple expansions to exist underground & undersea.

And then the whole Titan side of things, the Earthen and Mechagnome areas. And the many earthen that turned into Troggs.

We also see no Drogbar beyond the Broken Isles, so maybe there could be more of them still elsewhere.
    Yes, more underground races have been shown than underwater ones... huge amounts of potential for stories.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is probably the coolest xpac idea I have ever read.

Seems like a good possibility. If we assume that the oceans of Azeroth are well enough crowded already and they're not going to keep throwing continents around, our options are:

1. Space
    2. Alternate/side dimensions, I.E. Shadowlands
    3. Underground
    Yes, or a world revamp with sharding tech... some have suggested a Northrend revamp.