Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Japanese woman accused of culturally appropriating her own culture

This is just too funny.

that's the kind of thing you delete your tweet over LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, a random person made a stupid comment on twitter. This matters how?

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle Mira View Post
    This is just too funny.
    Lmao, I've seen people act all offended on our behalf when people wear hanbok here even though it's something we rent to foreigners so they can wear it.

This is the age of giving attention to idiots on social media? Why is this a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    So, a random person made a stupid comment on twitter. This matters how?
    Its not even twitter, its on tumblr with the default avatar.

Every japanese person i've spoken too has always been happy about westerners being excited about wearing kimonoes. Theres nothing derogatory or insulting going on.

same with Indian's and Sari's. Happy to see people outside of south asia wearing them and "dupata's" etc.

Only those who were already nationalistic ***holes or just plain ***holes who arent even that nationality ever have issues with this.

This is especially egregious since it doenst even apply in this case. Mixed race people like me have it even harder for not stereotypically looking like our nationality.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Cultural appropriation" is a stupid concept in that sense anyway.

PS: She cute.
    Last edited by Cerilis; 2019-10-18 at 11:23 AM.

I too browse reddit but what is the discussion here?

I'm under the impression after reading through some cultural appropriation "scandals" over the years that the homeland of <culture> is never offended, whereas <culture>-Americans tend to throw a stink.

Wow, a shitty bait thread for people that are proud to be assholes to scoff at those pesky ESSJAYDUBYAS, scintillating.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens when a snowflake runs out of things to be offended by
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2019-10-18 at 12:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that a GameBoy Advance SP? Now I've seen everything.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The passport and the drivers license don't mean jack, but you know they're japanese when the closest tool you have on-hand to shield your information is a purple Gameboy Advance SP with a mew sticker on it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I'm under the impression after reading through some cultural appropriation "scandals" over the years that the homeland of <culture> is never offended, whereas <culture>-Americans tend to throw a stink.
    It's because we have a history of it. It causes some to be defensive, because they don't want to feel 'robbed' anymore.

I think that most of the time it's an overreaction due to paranoia. Is this person prejudiced against me? Am I being prejudiced against them?

I give it some leeway depending on context, because I've seen people do some pretty dumb and disrespectful things. Also that x-Americans tend to face more consistent discrimination and at a different level than those in their homeland. I'm not surprised some take the constant offensive, but it's too tiresome to distrust everything all the time.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

kinda reminds me a bit of Alyson Hannigan, in her younger, Willow buffy days.

Cultural appropriation is a just a term coined to attack white folks. Its a form of discrimination and racism that is actively promoted here in the US. Is good to highlight folks racism like this.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

I think cultural appropriation as a term is often misunderstood and misused by the general public. It really isn't supposed to carry any negative connotation (that would be cultural misappropriation).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Every japanese person i've spoken too has always been happy about westerners being excited about wearing kimonoes. Theres nothing derogatory or insulting going on.
    My friend who lived there for a couple years says the same thing. They see it as spreading their culture, not whitey stealing it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I think cultural appropriation as a term is often misunderstood and misused by the general public. It really isn't supposed to carry any negative connotation (that would be cultural misappropriation).
    Even then, it's not something bad. I've had people freak out at me for saying it's not so bad only to go all You would be offended if someone tried to make a hanbok bikini! and I'm just sitting there thinking I'd like to see someone try to make a bikini out of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanbok

I wouldn't be offended but I'd laugh.