10+ Year Old Account

Intel: "Yes there will be 10nm CPUs on Desktop"

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...m-desktop-cpus

Intel confirmed to Tom's Hardware that its use of the "Desktop Products" in its statement means "Desktop CPUs," specifically. It's noteworthy that the statement could equate to NUC processors only, and numerous other possibilities abound (like 10nm CPUs for the HEDT market only), but Intel hasn't provided further clarity.
    So Intel will, at some point before 2022, release some sort of CPU for desktop that uses their 10nm fab. As the quote above states, it's possible that this will only be their HEDT, so non-mainstream, lineup, or NUC only CPUs, like the one they had with a Radeon iGPU

Only making NUC CPUs is far more likely then only making HEDT CPUs, because if they can make high-power silicon that HEDT would require, they can also make mainstream consumer CPUs.

NUC on the other hand is rather low powered, similar to the laptop lineup thats already rolling out on 10nm.

just skip 10nm and give me desktop 7+ nm 8-10c CPUs with new uArch

So, basically "we're going to present something instead of nothing". Hopefully the CPUs will have some purpose and be the right choice for something.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Only making NUC CPUs is far more likely then only making HEDT CPUs, because if they can make high-power silicon that HEDT would require, they can also make mainstream consumer CPUs.
    Not to mention that HEDT is normally a generation or two behind main-stream architecture so everything can be ironed out and the people who do work on them can have 100% stability instead of just 99.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Not to mention that HEDT is normally a generation or two behind main-stream architecture so everything can be ironed out and the people who do work on them can have 100% stability instead of just 99.9%
    Well they also still have 10nm Server CPUs on their roadmap, which have overlap with HEDT, so its not entirely impossible - I just don't think they would *only* do HEDT.

I'm just going to disregard Intel whenever they say they will have 10nm chips 'soon', because they've been saying this for the last 5 years. If/when they do start production on desktop chips, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I care more about how things are, not how things will be 6 months or 2 years from now.