Classic wow influencing other classic games.

Hi guys,

As Blizzcon is coming around the corner, we might get talk about a Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 remaster. If they did redo D2, would they do it via #nochanges, just reformating for the Blizzard launcher, or will they go the Warcraft Reforged route in changing all the graphics and redoing the cinematics with up to date engines?

Also, do you think if Blizzard makes the decision to actually do this, would it be because Classic's success, or would it be in standing with their classic games listing?

They will most likely port it to Bnet launcher and make it not cause eyecancer.

Doubt they would go for Warcraf Reforged scale.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    If they call it a "remaster" of D2, I'd expect it to be along the lines of what happened with Starcraft Remastered. So the graphics/audio quality gets an upgrade, and the game gets some optimizations to make it work better on modern PC's, and it's added to the BNet app. But the gameplay itself doesn't get touched, no name changes, no editing out of stuff that was okay in the early 2000's but is offensive now, etc.

WC3 Reforged is on a much bigger scale than that I think. That's more like a complete overhaul as far as graphics. Remastered just means more like...a touch-up/detailing job where graphics are concerned.

As far as why Blizzard decides to do it...maybe Classic WoW's success would have some influence there, but I'd say it's more because 1) fans have been screaming about wanting D2 Remastered for quite a while now and 2) Blizzard pissed off a lot of Diablo fans (including me) with the "DON'T YOU GUYS HAVE PHONES" fuckup at last year's Blizzcon, and D2 Remastered would go a long way towards washing that taste out of our mouths.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-10-22 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    Hi guys,

As Blizzcon is coming around the corner, we might get talk about a Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 remaster. If they did redo D2, would they do it via #nochanges, just reformating for the Blizzard launcher, or will they go the Warcraft Reforged route in changing all the graphics and redoing the cinematics with up to date engines?

Also, do you think if Blizzard makes the decision to actually do this, would it be because Classic's success, or would it be in standing with their classic games listing?
    they will probably do the same they did with brood war and reforged, which is a HD remaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    They will most likely port it to Bnet launcher and make it not cause eyecancer.
    Honestly, that would be enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Honestly, that would be enough for me.
    ditto tenchar

diablo 2 and even war3 don't have an insane esports aspect to it, unlike starcraft 1. so i imagine they will go the reforged route rather than the remaster.

especially if they are giong to announce diablo 4, then it would have been easy to reap the benefits of engine/assets/etc work on that for a reforging of d2.

Tbh, I would like for it to go the Classic WoW route in that the graphics can be changed via options, colorblind mode, set to a certain patch, and uploaded into the launcher.

D2 def need updated graphics, it's pretty shite tbh. But I want D4 over any remaster tbh, because D2 has no nostalgic value to me and I think many agree. Vanilla wow kind of revelutionized the entire MMORPG genre and got millions who previously never touched a video game into gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    D2 def need updated graphics, it's pretty shite tbh. But I want D4 over any remaster tbh, because D2 has no nostalgic value to me and I think many agree. Vanilla wow kind of revelutionized the entire MMORPG genre and got millions who previously never touched a video game into gaming.
    So for you its more of how Classic is the trendsetter for certain games but points out how some games shouldn't be remastered?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Hi guys,

I don't really seeing this being as much of a big deal as WoW Classic.

SC Remastered happened 2 years ago (so Classic WoW influence clearly wasn't there), and it didn't move the needle that much for SC. WoW Classic is a big deal because Retail is the result of 7 expansions and is notably different from Vanilla in important ways. The difference between D3 and D2 is not particularly large, so it would be more like SC remastered.

WC3 being remastered will also likely be not be that big of a deal either.

The reality is that Blizz just doesn't have any other properties that would actually benefit from a WoW Classic. There isn't that much of a delta between their remaining games that would be anything other than a simple remaster (i.e. graphic update).

10+ Year Old Account
    HD remaster would be enough. May be even 3D remaster, if visuals stay the same. But honestly it does not matter at all. You can easily play original Diablo 2. I don't see point in those remasters. They not worth it.

Im sure a dev in one video said (maybe 6 month ago?) that they cannot simply make a new version of D2. Because of how the AI and overall game was built, they cannot enhance it so they would have to redo the entire game from scratch and cost-value for that is not currently worth it.

Hi guys,

You do realize Diablo 2 is there available to play? And the only thing remaster does is selling new art for $ /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    You do realize Diablo 2 is there available to play? And the only thing remaster does is selling new art for $ /facepalm
    Sure, it's there to play (if you can manage the compatibility issues, and even endure those 'amazing' graphics... but that's not the point.

Starcraft was also 'available to play', and so is Warcraft 3... yet, there are remasters. Go figure. It's almost as if remastering makes them more appealing to players who want to a) experience them again in better quality, or b) never played them before and would like to experience them in a... decent fashion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I hope they do a hi-def version of D2.

For the record: I'm not going to let some undoubtedly improvised and unfortunate remark on the part of Wyatt Cheng spoil what looks to be a decent mobile game (depending on how it's monetized), D4 or whatever they decide to do or not do with D2.

So he said a dumb thing. People have been blaming Blizzard as a whole for it for a year now and really it's time to let it fucking go. I say dumb things probably all the time. That's on me, not on my associates or anyone else. Yeah, Wyatt fucked up. OK. Moving on.

Classic Wow has been pretty great and Blizzard should be well pleased about that but it was never up for a lot of changes.

WCIII remastered looks good. Just don't know if I'm really interested in going back to that again. I quite liked the SC remastered version. Gameplay is more important than easy-on-the-eyes but easy-on-the-eyes is nice to have.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-10-23 at 07:59 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Hi guys,

There is absolutely no reason to do D2 remake via #nochanges. It's not a game that has been constantly evolving for past 15 years like WoW. It desperately needs an engine and graphics rework. I can personally promise you I will not touch it if they take the #nochanges route. On the other hand if they give it the same magic they are doing with W3 Reforged, I will quite likely throw my money at them.

Oh, and if they actually make this kind of decision based on Classic's success, that would be extremely stupid of them since these are totally different games and cases, so I very much doubt they would do that.

I would love a d2 remastered. But not as a ‚nochanges‘. The game needs graphic polish and talent/build/balance polish like PoD.
    That would be awesome!