Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
... LastLast
  1. #141
    I loved arena and BGs in BC. I liked all the dungeons, and some raids were fun. That's just my opinion on it.

  2. #142
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    18,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    That guild example was just an anecdote. The real take away from that example is that world pvp is unavoidable (largely) without flying, and massively avoidable with flying. That is how the mechanic works. It is not up for debate.
    wPvP is just as avoidable in retail with the whistle and the rather dense flightpath network.

    It doesn't matter at all though, because people are concentrated where there is stuff to do and in order to do stuff everyone has to dismount. That's when PvP happens.

    Flying only sees to it that there is less chance for PvP on your way to your destination. The least interesting aspect of your playing session. Seing s/o ride by and trying to gank him only works if you have a skill that can make him dismount / slow on range, else he will continue on his +100% mount and ignore you. Done it countless of times.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    wPvP is just as avoidable in retail with the whistle and the rather dense flightpath network.

    It doesn't matter at all though, because people are concentrated where there is stuff to do and in order to do stuff everyone has to dismount. That's when PvP happens.

    Flying only sees to it that there is less chance for PvP on your way to your destination. The least interesting aspect of your playing session. Seing s/o ride by and trying to gank him only works if you have a skill that can make him dismount / slow on range, else he will continue on his +100% mount and ignore you. Done it countless of times.
    I agree whistles and dense flight paths are also a problem. Retail is all about avoiding interactions at all cost though, so it makes sense.

    Killing someone in a concentrated area with flying: they rez and fly away, pvp over. Killing someone in a concentrated area without flying: they have to figure out how to deal with you, whether it's friends or getting on their mains or calling for help in chat. It's a much better, social system that also has the benefit of more pvp and less avoidance (because it's not possible, largely). I've experienced it personally on classic in STV and Hillsbrad the last few weeks.

  4. #144
    Titan Charge me Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Russia, Chelyabinsk (Tankograd)
    Posts
    13,590
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Correlation does not equate to causation.
    Right. Do you think rogues getting away from PvP fights they don't want to be in simply correlate with their abilities like "stealth" or "vanish"? Same shit with flying - it's a world-wide ability to gtfo from a fight and your opponent has 0 ability to catch up with you, because you ignore terrain (in comparison to a ground chase, where obstacles exist and you can encounter mobs that may daze you, while your chaser is free of getting aggro). With flying you have a better chance at getting away. With flying you may chose toparticipate in PvP or not (as in - not fucking landing in the first place, and your opponent can't do shit about that besides maybe popping coolies and slow fall and trying to kill you with instants while you afk in air)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    TBC is superior to Vanilla in every way.
    Very true, whilst I think Classic is a straight up waste of resources, I would play TBC for hours on end if I had the chance to on Official servers.

    World/Questing was better.
    Class Design/Balance was infinitely better.
    Raiding was better.
    PvP was Better.
    Reward systems were Better
    Professions were Better.

    Literally anything Vanilla had, TBC did it far better.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Right. Do you think rogues getting away from PvP fights they don't want to be in simply correlate with their abilities like "stealth" or "vanish"? Same shit with flying - it's a world-wide ability to gtfo from a fight and your opponent has 0 ability to catch up with you, because you ignore terrain (in comparison to a ground chase, where obstacles exist and you can encounter mobs that may daze you, while your chaser is free of getting aggro). With flying you have a better chance at getting away. With flying you may chose toparticipate in PvP or not (as in - not fucking landing in the first place, and your opponent can't do shit about that besides maybe popping coolies and slow fall and trying to kill you with instants while you afk in air)
    "People Fly in Airplanes for Convenience therefore Car Racing is Dead." If someone is actively avoiding PvP, chances are it wasn't going to be fun for either them or whoever tries to attack them. People that want to PvP will actively participate in it, most People that want World PvP don't want their target to actively participate.

    It's why World PvP is and always will be trash.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    I guess it depends on the realm you were in. From what I remember the PVP was 24/7 in Hellfire/Nagrand
    Same, Nagrand was a fucking hell hole to level in - more pvp than classic wow right now.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    What data? Do you need some sort of data to understand, that when a person has flying learned, all he needs to get away from you is to be ooc for 3 seconds (0 for a druid), then he's free, when without flying being ooc for 3 seconds will simply put him on +100% MS (at best), which gives you 3+ seconds to see him resurrect and move in his general direction to interrupt, or simply apply some sort of CC, then kill him.

    Next time you'll ask for data to prove that water is wet, or punching yourself in the balls will hurt.
    Or they could just log out while dead to escape. Should we claim that logging out is harmful to wpvp and have it removed?

    The problem here is that there's a difference between the argument of "I don't like flying because people can get away from me if I don't change my tactics to compensate for it" and "Flying is harmful to WPVP".

    If anything, flying is leveling the playing field by giving everyone a fight reset if they can get OOC long enough. And if you let a target get OOC for that long, that's your fault for not sticking to your target, or your target's skill in creating an opportunity to escape.

    The only real problem I'm seeing here is in misinterpreting "my target got away" with "that's bad for PVP.
    Sylvanas has left the Guild.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopax View Post
    TBC is a VERY good PVE game and sucks at everything else. If raiding was the primary thing you did in WoW you usually loved it. Everything I say past here doesn't matter to you, because TBC might be the best raid/pve game ever made for a "raiding is all that matters" player. If PVE wasn't your primary focus, you can easily view it as highly overrated and point out that it started many of the systems and things that would eventually destroy WoW as we knew it.

    Flying destroyed world pvp. Instantly. Nothing more to say about that.

    Arena gear/arena led to the changes that destroyed Alterac Valley. ALL players gravitated towards the honor per minute idea to get the resilience gear they needed to start arena, instead of just having fun. Take the mentally ill repeat rank 14 grinders and give that mindset to ALL the players and that is what BG's became. Keep in mind that AV was cleverly designed to get pve players into pvp and that is ceased to exist as intended in TBC and the playerbase became very split with pvp and pve players. This got worse every expansion and now players who used to all be one big, awesome community are split into little groups.

    Professions mean very little in pvp because world pvp is dead. Why bother. Rocketboots could be used if I remember right in arena, but could backfire. Hand enchants I think could be used to, but it really didn't matter. I hated arena and tried to block out every time I would get myself or someone else the 1850 weapon. The rest was a waste of time. I also usually played double dps because running around a pole for a long time was awful.

    Arena becomes the barometer for everything, due to a dumb rating that autistic kids and streamers who helped ruin WoW, can brag about as they run around a pole with a healer in most comps (other than spriest, rogue, mage). Very few comps are viable and the pvp is awful and the makers of the original WoW said arena was a mistake.
    engadget.com/2009/11/13/blizzard-arenas-were-a-mistake/[/url]

    The better arena got, the more classes all became the same, which breaks and ruins larger forms of pvp and the "fun factor" and uniqueness of classes. The original designers knew this would happen. Fast forward and we now have unkillable healers when crosshealing happens in a BG or a 1 v 1 happens due to every class having to all have the same CC and chains. PvP outside of 3 v 3 is now GARBAGE. Healers HAVE to be OP in all other scenarios, just so a failed esport can continue.

    Segregation of the playerbase happens for the first time with Arena and Heroics. This was not that big a problem in TBC because you only had heroic dungeons and one difficulty of raids. Now we have LFR, normal, heroic, mythic, mythic plus. It's just stupid.

    Dailies start as a big thing in TBC. This is what happens when you break world pvp and segregate the playerbase to cater to the "eltiist jerks" (who now run WoW btw). You need dumbed down repeatable, zombie like content for the "casuals" or really nice people who weren't that great mechanically, who actually have very little to do in modern WoW. They eventually get bored/quit and all you are left with in the modern game is LFR/daily zombies who listen to streamers they are so bored and the 1 percent that no one could stand to be around in vanilla.

    In vanilla these mechanically deficient players could be "carried" but no one said carried because people weren't all aholes and they could contribute big time to a guild through professions, farming, running 5 mans and gearing up offtanks and dps. They could also pvp with you, world pvp, have consumables that gave them an edge etc. Modern WoW literally separates you from people you grew up playing this game with and rewards you for abandoning them with progression. Vanilla never did that.

    People claim vanilla was not casual friendly. That's complete BS. It had the most to do for casual players of any expansion. Everything took time, but you always had something to do.

    TLDR. TBC introduced too many catch up systems, flying killed world pvp, arena killed classes being unique and broke all other forums of pvp except 3 v 3, segregation of pve content got out of control eventually and further led to class homogenization, it was the first implemenation of a group finder (no one used it), dailies replaced organic pvp and farming content, old world is now useless.
    Regardless of the expac, there are always haters and lovers of said expansion. I have friends that swear on the bible that TBC sucked ass yet others praise it. Each expac in the game has its lovers and haters.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    That guild example was just an anecdote. The real take away from that example is that world pvp is unavoidable (largely) without flying, and massively avoidable with flying. That is how the mechanic works. It is not up for debate.

    Every other reason for diminished pvp in the equation doesn't change that whatever world pvp exists afterwards is still diminished further by the avoidant nature of the flying mechanic.
    Claiming that something is not up for debate is not evidence, or a supporting argument.

    Ans PVP os absolutely avoidable without flying. You see someone coming, you mount up amd leave. Or log out. Or take the death and rez at the GY.

    You're falling into the trap of over-exaggeration again. Flight does not make you immune to being attacked. You can't mount in combat. And if your target is aware enough, flying or not, they'll be able to escape. Or take the death then escape.

    The mistake you're making is in the assumption that if combat didn't happen PVP didn't happen. But the moment a player is aware of you and seeks to escape, the battle of minds and tactics has already begun. If he sees you with enough time to mount and escape, you failed in your attack. That's not the fault of flying. That's your fault for having a poor vector.

    And if you're both in the air waiting for help to arrive or for the other player to make a mistake and land, that's still PVP even if combat isn't actively happening. You're denying your target their PVE objective, but they're denying you an easy kill.

    All flying does is change the tactics of WPVP. That's only "bad" if you refuse to change your approach.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    Killing someone in a concentrated area with flying: they rez and fly away, pvp over. Killing someone in a concentrated area without flying: they have to figure out how to deal with you, .
    I see now. This isn't about flying being bad for pvp. It's about flying being bad for your ability to gank and camp.
    Sylvanas has left the Guild.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Claiming that something is not up for debate is not evidence, or a supporting argument.
    Yes, it is not up for debate because that is what the mechanic is for. Saying "A screwdriver is meant to drive screws, and that isn't up for debate" does not require further evidence. That is the purpose of the tool.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Ans PVP os absolutely avoidable without flying. You see someone coming, you mount up amd leave. Or log out. Or take the death and rez at the GY.

    You're falling into the trap of over-exaggeration again. Flight does not make you immune to being attacked. You can't mount in combat. And if your target is aware enough, flying or not, they'll be able to escape. Or take the death then escape.
    This is wrong. Play classic sometime, and you'll understand just how wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The mistake you're making is in the assumption that if combat didn't happen PVP didn't happen. But the moment a player is aware of you and seeks to escape, the battle of minds and tactics has already begun. If he sees you with enough time to mount and escape, you failed in your attack. That's not the fault of flying. That's your fault for having a poor vector.

    And if you're both in the air waiting for help to arrive or for the other player to make a mistake and land, that's still PVP even if combat isn't actively happening. You're denying your target their PVE objective, but they're denying you an easy kill.

    All flying does is change the tactics of WPVP. That's only "bad" if you refuse to change your approach.
    Your argument is "two people flying in the air doing nothing IS pvp man!"? Yikes, no wonder we'll never see eye-to-eye here.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I see now. This isn't about flying being bad for pvp. It's about flying being bad for your ability to gank and camp.
    Uh, yeah? Ganking and camping is part of pvp, and people being able to freely avoid it is stupid on a pvp server. Hint: You can gank people that are your level as well. The outside world being dangerous is the point of a pvp server. People that have some delusion about "fair fights only" are hilarious.

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopax View Post
    TBC is a VERY good PVE game.
    This single thing is enough for me (that does not mean i agree with rest of your post).

  12. #152
    Titan Charge me Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Russia, Chelyabinsk (Tankograd)
    Posts
    13,590
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Or they could just log out while dead to escape. Should we claim that logging out is harmful to wpvp and have it removed?

    The problem here is that there's a difference between the argument of "I don't like flying because people can get away from me if I don't change my tactics to compensate for it" and "Flying is harmful to WPVP".

    If anything, flying is leveling the playing field by giving everyone a fight reset if they can get OOC long enough. And if you let a target get OOC for that long, that's your fault for not sticking to your target, or your target's skill in creating an opportunity to escape.

    The only real problem I'm seeing here is in misinterpreting "my target got away" with "that's bad for PVP.
    Logging out means that you don't play the game, by flying away you keep playing the game and keep doing whatever you want to do.

    I have no clue where you get those arguments from, all i see here, in this discussion, is one person saying that flying reduces amount of wpvp interactions, and other says that it doesn't. Which doesn't make sense, because flying allows you to escape WPvP as long as you have some sort of long CC ability whatsoever (polymorph and gtfo). It's not an argument of it being harmful or not liking it, it's nature of flying - it allows you to avoid WPvP by its damn design. It simply reduces amount of WPvP interactions, because you won't be able to drag unwilling people into WPvP by corpse camping them (at least when doing it alone)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Ans PVP os absolutely avoidable without flying. You see someone coming, you mount up amd leave. Or log out. Or take the death and rez at the GY.
    Yes, and guess what option gives a player more chances to not get bogged down into wpvp? Literally every option besides flying involves risk of penalty, being it a 10m debuff, long walk, being stuck at your dead body or not playing the game lol. You can also pick a combination of those, but no matter how you look at it - mounting up and going 150yrd into the air is going to beat literally any other option for "avoiding wpvp"

    And speaking of avoidability - remember warmode before pathfinder? This "avoidable" wpvp was so avoidable, that forums were full of weeping players that they can't play. Now imagine the same thing with flying - you beelined to your belowed WQ, got killed before anyone could even load in, res on corpse, mount up and fly to another WQ. There will be no charge into your mounted ass with a follow up of druid roots, there will be nothing, because there is no flying combat in the game, you are virtually immune to interractions
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2019-10-22 at 06:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

  13. #153
    "I understand why people love TBC, but...I don't."
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  14. #154
    Flying actually enhanced world PvP.

    I think I pvped more during TBC than during any other expansion. I remember raids of Horde flying into cities and having to group up in raids to push them out.

    Many of the new zones had often pvp battles going on. I am guessing you only played late into the expansion or maybe just had a strange server that missed all the world PvP action.

    Early on arena was pretty fun since you could join a 5 man team play the minimum games to earn points and end up in a few weeks getting some gear. Of course after time they added ratings on most gear which killed it for those of us who just did it for fun and had bad groups.

    I know I once did a 5 man all warrior group once that managed to actually win one match I think because the other team was so shocked at how bad the comp was they must not have tried.

    For myself TBC was the best expansion although Lich King was right behind it.

  15. #155
    While I agree arena played into the homogenization of classes, I disagree on other points.

    Death of world PvP was instigated with instanced battlegrounds during classic wow. Wether this is a good or a bad thing, is highly debatable and strongly depends on personal preference. Flying did not eliminate world pvp entirely either, it did limit the ability to corpscamp someone.

    What flying did do was limit world interaction. It became easier to bypass mobs, and terrain layour lost its importance. Arguably though, it also brought in a few new possibilities in terms of exploration with hight differentiation, and areas without paths leading to them.

    I strongly disagree that TBC started the trend of player segregation by difficulty level with their heroic dungeons. You appear to be comparing them to current WoW's mythic dungeons, but in TBC this was not the case. Heroic dungeons were simply the level 70 variant of that dungeon, meaning that all dungeons stayed relevant. In my opinion that is quite brilliant design, which indeed carried over into future expansions.

    Like any expansion, the additions and detractions TBC made were cool for some and bad for others. I for one am loving classic wow, and once TBC servers hit I'll happily transfer to those and have a fun time once more. I might do the same for WotLK servers, but after that I'm pretty sure I'll be done.

    Not because everything after WotLK was shit. It wasn't, it just wasn't for me anymore. During WotLK I got annoyed with the copious amounts of catchup mechanics. While WoW was always a gear treadmill, during the end of WotLK I started feeling like I couldn't keep up with the treadmills pacing anymore. That's on me, not the game.

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    It definitely did kill the same KINDA of World PvP in classic. There's a pretty big difference between the organic WPvP we had in Vanilla vs the PvP centered around specific capture locations. I know they had these same kind of objectives in Classic, but it didn't feel like a blatant excuse for PvP servers to engage in PvP again like it kinda does in TBC content. I think the WPVP locations in Classic were more about engaging players on non PvP servers to try out PvP in specific delegated areas. It allowed them to dip their toes in without it being a gank fest.

    Now I will say that I don't blame flying solely for killing off WPvP. I think it plays a part in the event, but I think there are definitely several other factors. What's the point in WPvP when you can just queue for an arena or BG to farm honor and get gear? Where's the fun in a massive scale battle for a specific location when the big capital city is a neutral PvP zone? You aren't inconveniencing the horde when you're also inconveniencing yourself by killing NPCs. There was a lot of fun to be had walking into Ironforge (cuz let's be honest that was the main Alliance city) and just absolutely destroying every NPC.
    I don't know where you played but on my server there was a lot of world pvp activity. From objective pvp to single ganks, to raping at netherwing, sethekk and isle and boss kites in cities (I played alliance at the time and was kiting anachronos to Org) and to abusing terrain (gandgetzan inn top until they made the guards throw you off), top of caravan in terokkar etc.
    Also instanced pvp was part of vanilla, you can't possibly claim that it was a tbc thing.
    And lastly, probably a lot of people played tbc on private servers with crap population and several years later when people just didn't care about it anymore.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

  17. #157
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    18,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    Killing someone in a concentrated area with flying: they rez and fly away, pvp over. Killing someone in a concentrated area without flying: they have to figure out how to deal with you, whether it's friends or getting on their mains or calling for help in chat. It's a much better, social system that also has the benefit of more pvp and less avoidance (because it's not possible, largely). I've experienced it personally on classic in STV and Hillsbrad the last few weeks.
    Uuh no.
    If they can't escape the PvP they just log onto another character or log off entirely.
    At least that's what I always did when some ganking moron wouldn't let me quest in peace.

    It's just not worth wasting time on these people.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    It's why World PvP is and always will be trash.
    wPvP is only popular because it gives people the "carte blanche" to be an asshole.
    Simple as that.

    I completely agree with your assessment.

  18. #158
    You need dumbed down repeatable, zombie like content for the "casuals"
    You mean like repgrinds in Classic, consisting of killing the same mob over and over again and having repeatable quests of having to hand in the same item over and over again?

  19. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelato View Post
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...t-boring-quick

    We get it, you don't like TBC. No need to create a new account every month and start a new thread about it.
    Kudos for picking on that too, I thought this post looked familiar.

    I can't believe this guy is making new accounts just to promote classic+ jeez.

    it's like " tbc sux ! don't make it after classic plz cause I want classic+".

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    What data? Do you need some sort of data to understand, that when a person has flying learned, all he needs to get away from you is to be ooc for 3 seconds (0 for a druid), then he's free, when without flying being ooc for 3 seconds will simply put him on +100% MS (at best), which gives you 3+ seconds to see him resurrect and move in his general direction to interrupt, or simply apply some sort of CC, then kill him.

    Next time you'll ask for data to prove that water is wet, or punching yourself in the balls will hurt.
    Still doesn't provide definitive proof that flying diminished WPVP overall, which is the discussion I'm having. Your example is probably what you do when challenged, but is not indicative of WPVP as a whole. That's the problem so far, you people find one example of how it might take away from WPVP, and you take that to the bank as if it's exemplary of ALL WPVP. Wrong.

    Unfortunately for you, water being wet is not equivalent to flying hurting/helping WPVP. One is definitive, the other is merely your opinion. Small minds typically think in small patterns. For example, when discussing the topic of WPVP, your scope seems limited to the "gank scenario" which is but a tiny fraction of WPVP content. What about the rise in participation from being able to fly? What about those who fly giving support to those on the ground? There are endless scenarios, so please try harder than giving me "but, but they can get away faster". It's stale.
    Last edited by Black Goat; 2019-10-22 at 02:36 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •