Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I know two cases of three people who are making a life together but in both cases I am talking about gay men. They definitely seem to be working well and three incomes under one roof is certainly a big thing about quality of life. Personally I'd be willing to try if everyone else involved was also up for it. The only part that I find weird is that it usually is two people in a relationship joined by a third person at a later point.

I'm very much in favour of letting people define what their family unit is and then extending the appropriate legal protections to that unit. I don't even think a romantic relationship should be needed. If two friends never plan to marry and live together, they are a family unit as far as I'm concerned.
    oh this kind of arrangement would definitely be most popular among gay men, by a landslide i think. FMM would be least common, but i'm not sure which would be more common between FFF and MFF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds expensive.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Again that whole paradigm is Nonsense. Nobody is owed a relationship. and the problem for and with incels has zero to do with Chads or Staceys it purely has to do with entitlement and what certain people feel they are owed with no currency and no investment in themselves or other people.
    You misunderstand me. There's a difference between "I'm owed a relationship" drivel and "I can't get a woman despite trying". At the moment incels are what, the bottom 5% of the male population, tops? Wait until it's the bottom 20% or whatever - you'll soon see serious social unrest.

China may be about to experience something similar, incidentally, as they have a very lopsided M:F ratio of births - about 120 boys to every 100 girls. That means a lot of guys without women in their lives - much more than the usual tiny minority society can handle.
    Still not tired of winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who's to say in this day and age, who can really tell you what to do... for me it sounds like a lot of hard work but for anyone else, live your dream

yes definietly would .

sadly women here are rather conservative . but i always liked they idea of harem

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    You misunderstand me. There's a difference between "I'm owed a relationship" drivel and "I can't get a woman despite trying". At the moment incels are what, the bottom 5% of the male population, tops? Wait until it's the bottom 20% or whatever - you'll soon see serious social unrest.

China may be about to experience something similar, incidentally, as they have a very lopsided M:F ratio of births - about 120 boys to every 100 girls. That means a lot of guys without women in their lives - much more than the usual tiny minority society can handle.
    An unbalanced ratio is one thing, but a lot what I see from these incels is another. There are guys out there, wondering why they don't get a partner, while everything about them is telling everybody why. Only those guys themselves don't seem to understand.
    Take a look at myself. I am quite heavy overweight, long hair and beard, have a passion for comics, fantasy and video games. Pretty much what you see with those guys, right?
    The difference is, I know when to shut up about something, I groom myself and dress accordingly. I don't try to be someone I am not. And I had my share of success. I am having a partner for half my life and my share of, let's call it mutual benefical adventures... or plainly hookups. I had these before and during my relationship. In the last part with the blessing and participation of my Partner, if anyone cares.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    An unbalanced ratio is one thing, but a lot what I see from these incels is another.
    Oh, we're in total agreement over our modern incels, and I imagine the MGTOW types too.

My point is that polygamy = many many many more incels = social unrest. The modern lot we can handle though.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I understand your point, but that would mean that "legalizing" polygamy would take something from people who would get it otherwise. So if you take your average incel, your point, the other way around would mean, without polygamy, some girl would settle for him. But I think, with or without polygamy, the number of incels would be the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    But I think, with or without polygamy, the number of incels would be the same.
    No, because more men who today do find women would not do so in a polygamous society. Women are hypergamous, meaning they prefer to hook up with men of equal or higher social status*, and historically have been willing to share a man with multiple women. Men are hypogamous - ie they prefer women of equal or lower status. Yeah yeah broad brush strokes and all that NAXALT stuff, but the point still stands.

Let's use the old dating thing of rating people from 1 to 10. Right now, the male 10s get the female 10s and some of the 9s too. The male 1s might get screwed, but monogamy means the vast majority of those in the middle at least get a fair shake at things. But with polygamy and female hypergamy, the male 10s get all the female 8s and higher, the male 9s have to make do with the 7s, and down it goes until the male 3s and below are all without women.

That doesn't mean the male 3s & below are suddenly all modern stereotypical incels, but it does mean they're incels in the technical sense, ie involuntary celibates. They want a woman, they try, and under a monogamous social system (ie like today in the West) they'd succeed, but due to polygamy they're now screwed.

*Here's some fun stuff about this from OkCupid:

https://web.archive.org/web/20091122...-online-dating

"Women, on the other hand, are harsh with their ratings. According to the study, they rate a whopping 80% of men on the site as ‘below average’."

If one of those women, wanted to add another man into the relationship, would he be down for it?

It’s almost as if that polygamy bullshit is just another way to control women and treat them like objects. It’s 2019, get with the times.
    change can't wait.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    If one of those women, wanted to add another man into the relationship, would he be down for it?
    Not if history is any guide.

Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress had something like this as I recall, but I'm not sure there's ever been a human society in history that's had that kind of polygamy.

People can do what they want on their own time, within their own religious ceremonies, and within their own private contracts, but I do not see any upside to societal normalization of polygamy or legally recognizing it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    People can do what they want on their own time, within their own religious ceremonies
    Wait, you mean I can go raiding for sacrifices to cut their hearts out atop a temple?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I do not see any upside to societal normalization of polygamy or legally recognizing it.
    See the last post or two of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    For most people, marriage has turned into a romantic and expensive gimmick with no real meaning or social function. It no longer structures society and it makes no difference if couples are married or not. It is a wonder we still have laws about it. That's why it can now take so many grotesque forms.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

OP, let me put it this way. It is much more than sex and almost everyone WILL FAIL at it. It absolutely is not for everyone.
    It is not a threesome (even those can have problems about who does and gets what), but a life choice and we know human nature.
    I am not against it, but it is not something I would attempt to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're assuming they'd all be MFF, and there's no reason to assume that.
    To be fair, that is a somewhat reasonable assumption given present society. I don't think we're quite at a point of sexual equality as a general society where there would be sufficient F/M/M (or other multiple-partner arrangements) sets to balance things out reasonably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    A multiple partner marriage system would eventually get corrupted into a system where 1 powerful and wealthy male would take 47 female concubines, with a slew of angry lower caste males not finding a mate.
    Given a society with sufficient sexual equality, there isn't any reason why another powerful and wealthy female wouldn't take 47 male concubines (or whatever the correct word for "male concubine" is), thus solving that problem, at least in principle.

Though I still would think that much slantedness isn't necessarily optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Not if history is any guide.

Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress had something like this as I recall, but I'm not sure there's ever been a human society in history that's had that kind of polygamy.
    The word you're looking for is "polyandry". The article gives some known examples. But yeah, it does seem to have been uncommon historically compared to the number of societies that practised monogamy or polygyny.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Could or Would you do it?
    Nope.
    If so why or why not?
    Monogamy is easier. Relationships are tough enough with two people. Three? Fuck that. Plus I've never met a Poly "couple" that wasn't a fucked up tangled mess of mental illness and abusive problems.
    What would be the pros and cons specifically of a 3 way marriage?
    Pros: Financial boosts, three is better than two or one, or two working and one doesn't. Sex life might be easier to manage since a second woman might be able to take some of that off me and give me some rest. Plus child care maybe.
    Cons: Conflicting personalities. Instability. Power dynamics are harder to manage. Get the feeling of being part of someones harem and not a partnership between two equals.
    And do you Support Multiple marriages?
    Polyamory is a disaster, usually popular among degenerates and cheaters who ultimately just want to sleep around. Plus its unstable for family formation and causes a lot of social problems for society at large. Should be shunned and vigorously rejected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Marriage is cool, especially when you have two wives

Mental deficiency is truly a plague of the modern comforts.