Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Details on Ragnaros

Feel free to fact check:
    Health 1.1 million

Wrath of Ragnaros: Melee ability, 10-yard range, huge knockback (50+ yards horizontal and vertical), only the OT should be getting hit by it. Might reduce threat? Forget which emote this is....might be "Taste the flames of Sulfuron!!!" Tanks should intercept back in immediately afterwards.

Lava Burst: Randomly targeted at a ranged raid member, does fire damage. Initial hit does no knockback (?). Anyone within (edit) 35! yards of the target is knocked away from the person targeted and takes fire damage. With proper positioning damage can be greatly reduced by preventing people from going in to the lava. But it's difficult to fit so many players in because of the enormous range and huge knockback. I believe the emote for this is "By fire be purged!!!"
    https://imgur.com/7qNVi98
    https://imgur.com/3xVKipR

This ability may be targeted at mana users. I do not know if retribution paladins or feral druids count as mana users. It's also possible it's cast at players beyond a certain range.

Lava Splash: Random AoE. I do not know how this is targeted or if it's avoidable. Doesn't do as much damage as the first two. Generally just healed through.

Elemental Fire: Constantly does fire damage to Main Tank, why 315 fire resist is recommended.

Magma something: Anti-exploit ability, 6k fireballs at random people if no one is in melee range.

Melt Weapon: Periodically reduces melee's weapon durability.

Rag is untauntable.

Can Ragnaros not do crushing blows?
    In this parse https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/rep...7&ability=2565

the MT casts shield block 5 times and never gets crushed if I'm reading it right.

Sons of Flame spawn at 3 minutes, 8 adds with a 10-yard aura that burns mana, even some relatively clean kills are usually pretty panicked when these things show up. Tank at a central location away from healers. One of the better times to pop a greater fire resistance potion.

Unknown if sons if flame’s aura does damage to non-melee classes, shouldn’t be hard to look up.

1.1M health / 28 DPS ~ 40k damage done a person, / 180 seconds ~ 220 DPS a person to kill before a submerge.
    30 DPS ~ 200 dps/person
    26 DPS ~ 235 dps/person

The modern META is for only tanks to be in fire resist gear and everyone else just wear regular gear + greater fire resist potions. Any recommendations on what people's health should be to survive through the random fire damage would be appreciated.

The modern META for the melee knockback is that melee walk back to the safe spot, then main tank steps back, leaving only the OT in melee range. Melee knockback goes off and all return. I'm not clear on how long / how fast the tank has to get back in before Rag starts winging out those 6k fireballs.

Also one off-topic thing not worth making its own thread for...is there any reasonable way to farm Edgemaster's Handguards?
    Last edited by garicasha; 2019-10-22 at 08:01 PM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

i'm not sure about everything you asked but maybe I can help with something.

if you have several tanks just have one stand out of melee range doing nothing in case all tanks either die or get punted.
    it doesn't take long before rag starts dishing out fireballs that do 6k someone needs to get into melee even if its just a resto druid in bear form or a dps warrior equiping a shield and using shield wall.

I did the fight a lot as a healer but many years ago, this time i've done rag 4 or 5 times i think now, it still feels janky as a tank, I actually consistently fail at charging back into him, but i think my timing is usually just off. for me that has been the most annoying part, either not having rage or some how being thrown up and away from rags hitbox quicker than you can charge back into melee, like there is a sweet spot between being out of range and being too close and i get screwed by that consistently. but if you have 3-5 tanks you shouldn't really run out of tanks before he dies unless something seriously bad happens.

the knockback from my perspective has been inconsistent because it has happened on the OT's and it also sometimes doesn't happen on the OT, if it consistently happens on random raid members, that may not be as bad assuming they can survive the fall or not take the fall at all by standing near a wall. I think the knockback is resistible but if you are tanking you generally need to be prepared to dance to berserker and intercept asap. or you'll probably die to fall damage or get stuck in the lava like i usually do..

I don't think the melee damage rag does is that important, last couple kills we had our bear MT him, as fire resistance is more important, the fire damage he does is quite a bit more than what he does in just melee swings, and ofc flat out losing ppl to fall damage.

Most ppl probably know by now but the spellbinders in UBRS have a 1hr 80+ or so Fire resist buff that is great for early raggy attempts as it stacks ontop of other fr buffs. run your tanks and a priest or two out for ubrs and buff them before you try him. there are usually spellbinders right in the entrance past the first pull. sometimes the patrol has one.

I don't think there is a best way to farm for world drop BoEs the best way would be to grind gold then buy them out the AH. everything is just going to have a miniscule chance of dropping them, so you could pick any of the mobs that 'could' drop them, list on wowhead, and simply farm that one type of mob until it drops. but its likely easier to farm the gold and buy them from someone who just got lucky.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-10-22 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    the knockback from my perspective has been inconsistent because it has happened on the OT's and it also sometimes doesn't happen on the OT, if it consistently happens on random raid members, that may not be as bad assuming they can survive the fall or not take the fall at all by standing near a wall. I think the knockback is resistible but if you are tanking you generally need to be prepared to dance to berserker and intercept asap. or you'll probably die to fall damage or get stuck in the lava like i usually do...
    Safe Fall rogue with Sprint and I barely notice I was out of the action when it happens to me :P

Off topic, but man looking at warcraftlog bosses in MC last for 15-30 second while Ragnaros last for 1 minute or so. Are those who raid in classic having fun with so easy raiding? Its ridiculous.

15+ Year Old Account
    MC/Onyxia are basically loot piñatas for gearing up for PVP when it comes out. So few people are going to no life ranks 12-14 that PVE gear will be the best they have.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Off topic, but man looking at warcraftlog bosses in MC last for 15-30 second while Ragnaros last for 1 minute or so. Are those who raid in classic having fun with so easy raiding? Its ridiculous.
    yeah the dps seems to be quite nuts, personally, I enjoy the pure nostalgia, I played a priest, this time i'm tanking, I suppose its easy for me to remain interested as I managed to secure a spot in a guild that actively wants to clear the content weekly and progress, we have a decent raid leader and ppl who have played on private servers and in the past in leader positions so, i feel good about our chances. generally i'm bummed out that there won't be any 20 mans for a while, i kinda wanna do week day zg runs but right now its just a bit raid loggy, log in sunday, crush everything in a couple hours. maybe do some dungeons during the week. but apart from that there isn't much to really log in for. not that that matters for me, I will be playing escape from tarkov 0.12 this week if it actually releases. and i have other games to kill time, raiding in wow is fun, doing menial stuff for the sake of it isn't.

game kinda lacks things to do right now but it is still fun to do the old progression again, find a bunch of ppl who want to gear up and help each other do that. i mean that was always more fun for me than perhaps other parts of the game. just having the game be your guild progressing through it. I suppose its possible that i may ultimately burn out on it. I hope I can remain interested till p4. probably have an alt by then that i could do alt runs with.

its true that the content isn't hard but, i think its possible that a lot of ppl either haven't played that class before, are new to wow. or maybe just haven't played for a while. not to mention classic being reasonably tame allows others to play it. ie it doesn't matter if you carry socials the game is designed to accommodate that. i suppose for me its quite chill so thats always a plus. its full of stoners so baked we can only handle these shit tier boss fights.. not really, I think there is still the executional difficulty in wows pve, you do often, at least later on, need to know a tactic and progression is still progression. thats usually when most fights are the hardest, the first time a raid tries it as that group of players. all subsequent attempts become easier through cohesion and adaptation and or any gear you gained. but ultimately progression is still balanced around how geared your raid is, so 'easy' is still sort of subjective when its only easy if you know you can do it or have the gear to do it. if not, then its not easy it could be impossible.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-10-22 at 02:30 AM.

WoW vanilla's raiding content is completely trivialised. Many of use play the game for the nostalgia or play the game differently/try new things to impose challenge on our-selves. But going into WoW hoping it to be difficult on face value is delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    yeah the dps seems to be quite nuts, personally, I enjoy the pure nostalgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    WoW vanilla's raiding content is completely trivialised. Many of use play the game for the nostalgia or play the game differently/try new things to impose challenge on our-selves. But going into WoW hoping it to be difficult on face value is delusional.
    I definitely share the part of nostalgia, even though I don't enjoy it myself, and classic/vanilla was about the leveling and exploring experience. But as a raider, I would be heavily disappointed if I did all the leveling and then ended up with 30 minute raids, and 30 second bosses. Character progression for me as a raider would be non-existent then. But I do hope for the classic raiders that the next raids end up harder. Vanilla WoW was never that hard, but there is a limit on how easy it became in classic imo.

Yeah... because retail WoW raids totally don't have zerg strategies, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Yeah... because retail WoW raids totally don't have zerg strategies, right?
    Within a month of release? On the hardest difficulty? LFR is easier than Molten Core, where fights takes 3-4minutes even if the dps is far over what LFR is tuned for.

Only fight I can think of is the Hellfire Reaver in WoD wich took like 30 seconds with bis gear and legendary ring.

Sorry, but Classic to Retail on harder difficulty than LFR/Normal isn't even comparable.

EP on Normal:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/ra...d&difficulty=3
    MC:
    https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/zon...0#metric=speed

Totally the same.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2019-10-22 at 11:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By fire be purged!

There is no way lavaburst range is 20 yards....

IDK what lava splash is i literally never read the combat log. Other than lavaburst IDK waht the other random damage is....? Only thing I ever see as a healer who is generally near the melee/rag is the lavaburst. But again not 20 yards

All you need for Rag is FR.....So presumably he can't crushing blow you? IDK maybe the FR protects you/ Either way doesn't matter

Base HP + basic stam buffs is more than enough for anyone but a tank on Rag. Or just about any fight in MC but the lava packs if you're unlucky.

You should be able to kill rag before he submerges. I would go over logs and see who is fucking around. Probably a lot of them if they're eating submerge. Get em to hit buttons...

edit - lava splash must be the melee thing, melee should be backing out then getting back in based on the relevant timers. Don't try to eat it all
    Last edited by Mukind; 2019-10-22 at 02:31 PM.

I definitely share the part of nostalgia, even though I don't enjoy it myself, and classic/vanilla was about the leveling and exploring experience. But as a raider, I would be heavily disappointed if I did all the leveling and then ended up with 30 minute raids, and 30 second bosses. Character progression for me as a raider would be non-existent then. But I do hope for the classic raiders that the next raids end up harder. Vanilla WoW was never that hard, but there is a limit on how easy it became in classic imo.
    Private server were already very approachable. Classic came in an further emphasised on that:"16 debuffs, layering, earlier gear, etc...) Sadly, the raids don't get harder. Retail still remains a raiders wet dream (exciting/challenging mechanics).

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Feel free to fact check:

Lava Burst: Randomly targeted at a ranged raid member, does fire damage. Initial hit does no knockback (?). Anyone within 20 yards of the target is knocked away from the person targeted and takes fire damage. With proper positioning damage can be greatly reduced by preventing people from going in to the lava. Proper positioning would be shoulder-to-shoulder facing Ragnaros so people get knocked on to ground left/right but not in to lava forward/back. Full raids would need to have clumps of 3-5 players to fit everyone in.
    https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=21158/lava-burst

Lava Burst is 35 Yards per Wowhead Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My opinion is a fact.
    Having opinions are F A C T S.
    Stating you do not agree with my world has no impact on mine.
    It is not the same as talking about math either.
    This is talking about MY perception and so to me it is A fact.

You are right and holy geez I do not remember it having such an enormous range or such a huge knockback.

https://imgur.com/7qNVi98
    https://imgur.com/3xVKipR
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

It is not 20 lol...your whole raid would be ping ponging

Def isn't 35

15 seems to be about the real number, possibly 10 no need to push it. 20 woudl leave u no room tho

it may be that rag's cast range is based on the center of his hitbox but we can hit him from anywhere from the edge of his hitbox

although im pretty sure lava burst is cast by an environmental fixture instead, so I assume it's within 35 yards of some point near his center

this seems supported by logs recognizing many of his casts including lava bursts as each coming from different sources, although they weren't properly attributed to 'environment' like in more modern bosses and are all called ragnaros despite appearing with no model to cast a spell and then despawning

just a random example page I pulled: https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/rep...158&target=139

One thing I really would like an answer to is whether or not rets and ferals can stand in the melee group without getting a lava burst tossed at them.

Have more fun this time around then 15 years ago.
    PVP and experiences in the world have been outstanding.

Raids being ez mode makes the game actually extremely enjoyable.
    No longer are we stuck spending countless hours on progression for meaningless loot.

The world feels alive and I can spend hours on end in it.

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    Have more fun this time around then 15 years ago.
    PVP and experiences in the world have been outstanding.

Raids being ez mode makes the game actually extremely enjoyable.
    No longer are we stuck spending countless hours on progression for meaningless loot.

The world feels alive and I can spend hours on end in it.
    Glad you and others enjoy it!