Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I remember early TBC, someone had this toxic mentality on our server. He followed through and won said item. He got a bonus prize as well, of instantly becoming a known ninja on the server. No guild or group would take him and the guy eventually just disappeared. Either name changed or migrated.
    People always say this as if it is some boogeyman superstition that ninja-ing an Item will have you blacklisted forever. The funny thing is that only happens if you are a shit player.

    If you are in anyway competent at your class you will find groups regardless of your Reputation. One of my Guilds in TBC was known for being full of trolls and Ninjas yet we would fill a raid group nearly instantly because People knew the content was going to be cleared.

    So basically, if you are going to be Bad, at least be Good.

  2. #122
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    yes they are
    No. They. Aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    If you need an item you dont need you're a ninja
    This is only true for BoP items (which is NOT what this thread is about) or if everyone else rolled greed and you then rolled need (again, NOT what this thread is about). Everyone in the group has an equally legitimate need for a BoE because BoE's can be traded which makes the BoE equally valuable to everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    and i will have no problem with kicking you from the group.
    And by all means, that would be your right. But understand that doing so makes you the dick, not the person you're falsely accusing of being a ninja.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    Why people think they are entitled to other people gear so they can sell it for mount money i have no idea.
    Gee, if only someone could have explained it in a nice, logical and easy to understand manner.....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    You didn't mention your class or role but I'm going to guess that you're a non-Warrior and non-Paladin dps and want to sell that book on the AH.
    Seems likely.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    If someone in the group is going to use the item, they should get it.
    Why?

    You're applying BoP principles to a BoE item. BoE items were made differently for a specific purpose. As such they should be treated differently. That BoE is essentially just a fat pile of gold to whomever wins it. Why should the tank be more entitled to said fat pile of gold than anyone else in the party?

    BoE's, by design, may be meant for use by specific classes, but they're meant to be won by anyone.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2019-10-23 at 11:49 AM.

  3. #123
    Titan Charge me Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Russia, Chelyabinsk (Tankograd)
    Posts
    13,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbstermcgee View Post
    So you agree that there is a nuance in that, but not needing an item that is an upgrade and GREEDING at item you want to sell? There is even a gold coin next to the selection, its clear as day. Seriously guys, I dont know why you are trying so hard to prove you arent a thief. Just admit it and move on.
    There is no nuance in that, if you NEED a BoE you BUY it from auction house. When you NEED a BoE with intent of equipping it you effectively roll GREED on X gold token, where X is a cost of that item on auction house.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbstermcgee View Post
    So again, you ninja loot on the assumption someone else is?
    Kinda. Look up prisoners dilemma. You do roll need all the time on BoE, because it's a most reasonable strategy in an environment where you can't trust other players to not roll need.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbstermcgee View Post
    If you create that meta then you create an environment that is more toxic for everyone else
    It's not toxic, it's the right answer in this situation and game theory proves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Notdev View Post
    Dude, that's not what he said lol.



    Mukind's point directly contradicts your point. It's like the exact opposite stance lol.. literally anything to get your shot at retail players..

    I don't know why its so.. "slimy" "scummy" "trash" etc to think that someone making 500g selling a BoE should be equal to someone saving 500g by not having to buy the BoE. That's really what it comes down to. The only counterpoint I keep seeing is "tHaTs NoT hOw We DiD tHiNgS dArN rEtAiLeRs!!!!"

    https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/...s_us_a_lesson/
    This thread is littered with posts saying all need in random groups is the way to go. I'm not saying Reddit's opinion is worth more than peoples' opinions here, but its clearly not just a small minority of greedy retailers who think all need is the way to go.
    no one is there to farm anything for you

    unless i agreed, i'm taking my roll on that purp. I want hand of edward the odd.

    It's not even pre bis or useful in any scenario. You will never need the extra mitigation it provides. You're not saving 500g lol, if you used it you would be wasting that gold.

  5. #125
    Clearly Classic needs forced personal loot for everything, after all, thats why it was made mandatory in retail.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    You didn't mention your class or role but I'm going to guess that you're a non-Warrior and non-Paladin dps and want to sell that book on the AH. If someone in the group is going to use the item, they should get it. I've rolled Need on BoEs in dungeons but I tell the group that I need it and will use it. Nobody seems to care, however, those were blue items.
    A) It's a shit tier item, you have a much stronger argument for something like robe pattern because it's actually useful. Quel serrar is never useful it's just an RP weapon

    B) You're wrong go away pleb, you don't even know waht is useful. Who the fuck are you to say who can and can't roll on an item? lol

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    If agreed upon yes. That statement is true. You agreed, that's final.

    But gold needing, without agreement, is plain ninjaing. The people it hurts are the people who actually needed it. Any argument of "I CaN bUy MY bIs" is just retarded. But what do you expect from the classic community? Fairness and respect? Lol.
    But you can buy your bis, and he his. The item which dropped, gives you, even though you might not need it, the ability to get a similar item for your class. These things are literally the same, only that you need to sell something first before you can get the item you want.

  8. #128
    The Lightbringer Twoddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbstermcgee View Post
    So again, you ninja loot on the assumption someone else is?
    Kinda. Look up prisoners dilemma. You do roll need all the time on BoE, because it's a most reasonable strategy in an environment where you can't trust other players to not roll need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbstermcgee View Post
    If you create that meta then you create an environment that is more toxic for everyone else
    It's not toxic, it's the right answer in this situation and game theory proves that.
    This is true, the game theory optimal solution IS to roll NEED. You can choose to cooperate, roll greed and risk getting the suckers payoff OR you can roll need and never lose out.

    That's the way it is, Blizzard created the bullshit system. We are all collectively worse off and rolling need is the optimal choice.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2019-10-23 at 12:53 PM.

  9. #129
    Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Why?

    You're applying BoP principles to a BoE item. BoE items were made differently for a specific purpose. As such they should be treated differently. That BoE is essentially just a fat pile of gold to whomever wins it. Why should the tank be more entitled to said fat pile of gold than anyone else in the party?

    BoE's, by design, may be meant for use by specific classes, but they're meant to be won by anyone.
    They're not going to get a fat pile of gold if they equip it. That's what I'm saying. If they will use the item then they should get it, not if their class is eligible to use it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    A) It's a shit tier item, you have a much stronger argument for something like robe pattern because it's actually useful. Quel serrar is never useful it's just an RP weapon

    B) You're wrong go away pleb, you don't even know waht is useful. Who the fuck are you to say who can and can't roll on an item? lol
    Did you actually just say that Quel'serrar is useless? It's one of the best tank weapons.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    They're not going to get a fat pile of gold if they equip it. That's what I'm saying. If they will use the item then they should get it, not if their class is eligible to use it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Did you actually just say that Quel'serrar is useless? It's one of the best tank weapons.
    What fight do you think mitigation is more important than threat?

    They do not exist lol

    It's an RP weapon. Your'e talking about like less than 1% mitigation and giving up threat is not rational in any scenario

  11. #131
    Immortal
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    They're not going to get a fat pile of gold if they equip it. That's what I'm saying. If they will use the item then they should get it, not if their class is eligible to use it.
    Irrelevant. Whether you choose to equip the item or sell it on the market, your nett benefit is equal because you're either saving that fat pile of gold (as opposed to spending it on the AH) or you're earning the fat pile of gold from selling it.

    For a tank equipping the item, it's exactly the same as taking the item, selling it on the AH and then using the gold to buy it. Extending this logic to other members of the party, they could take the BoE, sell it on the AH, and use the gold to buy a BoE for their class/spec.

    Sorry, but you've not presented any argument supporting your notion that the class that can actually equip the BoE is going to benefit more than anyone else,most likely because any such argument would be fundamentally flawed on the basis that BoEs are fungible. Unlike a BoP, a BoE is a token that can be exchanged for something of high value for whoever wins the item.

    Look, I totally get where you're coming from. But you're just not seeing the bigger picture here. As I already said, BoE's were specifically designed to work differently for BoP's for a reason. The fact that a portion of the playerbase aren't able to see that doesn't change this.

    While I completely respect every person's right to play the game the way they want to (meaning you're more than welcome to pass on rolling for BoE's intended to be used by another class) there is an objective measure of what is fair, reasonable and rational. And expecting everyone else to pass on that "fat pile of gold" just because you can actually use it is neither fair, reasonable nor rational. It's self-serving and narrow-minded. If you want to use that BoE badly enough, then fork out your gold and go buy it on the AH. Because that's essentially what you're expecting the other members of your party to give up if they're going to give you the item.


    PS: What I am saying applies strictly to Pugs. For a group of friends/guildies, it makes far more sense to decide collectively on how to deal with BoEs such that it yields maximum benefit to the group: whether that means selling it and using the gold on other stuff, or giving it to a character that will benefit directly.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    This is true, the game theory optimal solution IS to roll NEED. You can choose to cooperate, roll greed and risk getting the suckers payoff OR you can roll need and never lose out.
    Exactly this ^^

    If everyone could be relied upon to follow good etiquette then everyone would roll greed. But the fact that some people will take advantage of the good etiquette of others opens you up to abuse. It might not be great etiquette to all be rolling need, but it is pragmatic and sensible. Good etiquette in the scenario described in the OP is actually to do exactly as the rogue did and give those who were unfortunate enough to not roll need a chance to roll anyway, and hand the item over if they win.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    It's not toxic, it's the right answer in this situation and game theory proves that.
    https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2010-06-05

    You don't seem to understand Game Theory in the same way I do. "Rat Out" is clicking "Need for AH spec"
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

  13. #133
    Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Irrelevant. Whether you choose to equip the item or sell it on the market, your nett benefit is equal because you're either saving that fat pile of gold (as opposed to spending it on the AH) or you're earning the fat pile of gold from selling it.

    For a tank equipping the item, it's exactly the same as taking the item, selling it on the AH and then using the gold to buy it. Extending this logic to other members of the party, they could take the BoE, sell it on the AH, and use the gold to buy a BoE for their class/spec.

    Sorry, but you've not presented any argument supporting your notion that the class that can actually equip the BoE is going to benefit more than anyone else,most likely because any such argument would be fundamentally flawed on the basis that BoEs are fungible. Unlike a BoP, a BoE is a token that can be exchanged for something of high value for whoever wins the item.

    Look, I totally get where you're coming from. But you're just not seeing the bigger picture here. As I already said, BoE's were specifically designed to work differently for BoP's for a reason. The fact that a portion of the playerbase aren't able to see that doesn't change this.

    While I completely respect every person's right to play the game the way they want to (meaning you're more than welcome to pass on rolling for BoE's intended to be used by another class) there is an objective measure of what is fair, reasonable and rational. And expecting everyone else to pass on that "fat pile of gold" just because you can actually use it is neither fair, reasonable nor rational. It's self-serving and narrow-minded. If you want to use that BoE badly enough, then fork out your gold and go buy it on the AH. Because that's essentially what you're expecting the other members of your party to give up if they're going to give you the item.


    PS: What I am saying applies strictly to Pugs. For a group of friends/guildies, it makes far more sense to decide collectively on how to deal with BoEs such that it yields maximum benefit to the group: whether that means selling it and using the gold on other stuff, or giving it to a character that will benefit directly.
    You're assuming that the player will just buy the item off the AH if they don't win the roll but that's not the case in most situations. I'm not a greedy player and have no issues passing on a BoE to a stranger if they're going to use it. I would also be upset if someone rolled Need on a BoE, with intentions to sell it, if someone else in the party wanted to equip it. We have different opinions on the matter, that doesn't mean that either person is right or wrong, but I do believe that my way of thinking is less greedy.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Extending this logic to other members of the party, they could take the BoE, sell it on the AH, and use the gold to buy a BoE for their class/spec..
    This makes the completely false assumption that BoEs for their class and spec even exist, or exist in remotely equal numbers. But its a popular notion at any rate
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-10-23 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

  15. #135
    When it comes to a BoE epic, everyone just rolls need to prevent ninjas, regardless of who actually needs/can use the item.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    For a tank equipping the item, it's exactly the same as taking the item, selling it on the AH and then using the gold to buy it. Extending this logic to other members of the party, they could take the BoE, sell it on the AH, and use the gold to buy a BoE for their class/spec.
    So I should go ahead and just roll need on everything because "I need the gold to buy boes"

    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    LFR saved raiding
    Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    LFR is not really easy. I would say it's a lot harder thant Mythic Dungeons
    get_a_load_of_this_guy_cam.jpg

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Just dont do pugs, simple.
    ^Strong disagree. PUGs are one of the best parts of WoW Classic. I've made some awesome friends by running dungeons with strangers. That's actually where my core dungeon group came from, was cobbling together random friends made from pugging. I love doing things with guildies, but one of the best parts of WoW classic is the awesome community.

    Okay now on to loot rules. When it comes to BoEs, I have a macro set with the following rule to post in party chat:

    "Hey guys! To avoid confusion and possible conflict, I propose a BoE rule. If one drops, we all roll Need. If someone fucks up and rolls greed, but their number is higher, they still win. That sound okay to everyone?"

    9/10, people will agree to this and be happy someone floated the idea. I find that clear communication of expectation is highly beneficial when running dungeons. I have other macros to inform my party that, even though i'm the healer, I'm running the dungeon contingent on the right to roll on specific pre-raid bis pieces for my shadow set (i'm my guild's shadow priest) and am running as a healer to make the process go quicker. I use kind, polite language while also inferring that if they don't agree to my contingencies, then we can amicably part ways and find group mates that better align with our individual goals.

  17. #137
    Titan Charge me Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Russia, Chelyabinsk (Tankograd)
    Posts
    13,620
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2010-06-05

    You don't seem to understand Game Theory in the same way I do. "Rat Out" is clicking "Need for AH spec"
    there is only one way to understand game theory. Sadly, there is literally no way to make everyone to abide this unspoken rule. BoE item is also not a 1 year in prison (way to misunderstand prisoners dilemma by sticking to that example, instead of applying it to your situation), at worst you get nothing, at best you get bunch of gold (yes, even if it's your BiS item you are going to equip right away, because you achieve the same thing) which you can use to buy your BiS BoE. By living in this imaginary world where all pugs will roll greed on BoEs for no apparent reason you only able ninja looters to benefit from others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Sadly, there is literally no way to make everyone to abide this unspoken rule.
    And to use that as an excuse to behave poorly is where our understanding of game theory differs. Hell, to understand the concept of game theory and to promote poor behaviour because of it seems directly counter to my understanding of it. Once you realise that we'd all rather people treat us as we'd like to be treated; to still treat others however we want is the poorer decision.

    You're correct though that there's nothing that can be done about it. Personally I'm not gonna sell out my personal principles over some pixel gold even if that isn't the popular choice.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-10-23 at 04:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

  19. #139
    Titan Charge me Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Russia, Chelyabinsk (Tankograd)
    Posts
    13,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Acolyyte View Post
    "Hey guys! To avoid confusion and possible conflict, I propose a BoE rule. If one drops, we all roll Need. If someone fucks up and rolls greed, but their number is higher, they still win. That sound okay to everyone?"

    9/10, people will agree to this and be happy someone floated the idea. I find that clear communication of expectation is highly beneficial when running dungeons. I have other macros to inform my party that, even though i'm the healer, I'm running the dungeon contingent on the right to roll on specific pre-raid bis pieces for my shadow set (i'm my guild's shadow priest) and am running as a healer to make the process go quicker. I use kind, polite language while also inferring that if they don't agree to my contingencies, then we can amicably part ways and find group mates that better align with our individual goals.
    Which is a reasonable approach, but you still put all your eggs in one basket by expecting everyone to abide by those pre-made rules, and even tho i understand that your "9/10" is imaginable number, 1/10 situation you are going to have someone run out of a dungeon with lots of gold in their pocket for no reason, ruining your dungeon run and ruining mood of others.
    You could pass all that hustle and drama by simple saying that everyone should roll need on it

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    And to use that as an excuse to behave poorly is where our understanding of game theory differs. Hell, to understand the concept of game theory and to promote poor behaviour because of it seems directly counter to my understanding of it. Once you realise that we'd all rather people treat us as we'd like to be treated; to still treat others however we want is the poorer decision.
    You are not behaving poorly by rolling need on a BoE item, you should realize at this point liquidity of value of a BoE item. You give everyone a fair chance of gaining gold that they can spend (as in everyone rolls need on it). You can't expect a complete stranger to pass his chance on getting value in favor of another stranger because... reasons (as in this spoken/unspoken rule of "not rolling on a BoE if you can't equip it, or it's a BiS for another guy in your group but a minor upgrade for you if you decide to actually wear it"), or simply able ninjas to "behave poorly" (as in, waiting for everyone to roll greed and roll need himself)
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2019-10-23 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You are not behaving poorly by rolling need on a BoE item, you should realize at this point liquidity of value of a BoE item.
    I mean, you are in terms of the game theory aspect of this discussion. But we can drop that if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    Oh, and stop being a "didn't do that in vanilla"-police. If we're doing something now that we didnt do back then, it's not because we had some sorta unwritten moral code back then, it's because we hadn't thought of it yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •