Making gold in game.

I'm trying to find the best gathering skill/crafting skill that nets quicker gold over others.

Any ideas?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Level your crafters and sell the leftovers. But unless you are doing progression extreme savage type stuff money is basically only good for a house and glamour and the rest is all teleport fees.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Level your crafters and sell the leftovers. But unless you are doing progression extreme savage type stuff money is basically only good for a house and glamour and the rest is all teleport fees.
    thnx. dont think ill have the money for a house for a long time. lol 3mil is a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    thnx. dont think ill have the money for a house for a long time. lol 3mil is a lot
    a house for 3m? that would be like buying a house IRL for $3000. they gonna cost you way more lol at max level you can also sell stuff like materia for decent prices.

5+ Year Old Account
    I made like 80 mil doing hunt trains when ShB first dropped. No idea how much they make now, but crafting is always solid.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

The easiest way that I have found to make gil without having to do much of anything is to send your retainers out to get you things that sell well.

In the case of combat retainers, leathers, wools, and certain alchemical reagents are likely decent sellers.

In the case of gathering retainers (which requires you to level gathering jobs and to gather each item you want your retainer to get at least once), you can send them out for ores/plants/fish currently in demand.

For any retainer there's also quick ventures which are pretty hit or miss but can come back with some valuable things to sell. Certain housing or glam items they can return with will sell quite well on the MB. There's also the 18 hour exploration ventures. While not the most efficient means of earning gil, they do come back with allagan coins you can simply vendor for gil.

There's also the Doman Enclave weekly turn ins. That can net you 40,000 gil a week. I like turning in 4 clear demimateria for that since I have a ton of them and nothing to use them on.

Even if you aren't a fan of collectibles but can stomach doing the weekly Deliveries (which doesn't take very long or require high end gear), you can use the scrips rewarded from that each week to buy some crafting or gathering materia to sell on the MB

If you're drowning in GC seals like I usually am, and have hundreds of venture coins and cordials already, you can also buy housing items to sell on the MB with them or even the tradeable items for the old HW relic which still sell for people going back to collect them.

If you play a job that can take advantage of the adventurer in need bonus for roulettes that award crystals used to buy materia, you can sell that materia for decent gil, especially the grade 8's.

I'd stay away from buying a house. Housing plots are ludicrously difficult to grab, and once you get one you're basically forced to maintain your subscription or less lose the property. You'd be better served buying an apartment, as it's cheap (only 500k gil, you can make that in no time at all just doing your daily roulettes and getting gold from quests) and there is no upkeep involved whatsoever. You'll never lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'd stay away from buying a house. Housing plots are ludicrously difficult to grab, and once you get one you're basically forced to maintain your subscription or less lose the property. You'd be better served buying an apartment, as it's cheap (only 500k gil, you can make that in no time at all just doing your daily roulettes and getting gold from quests) and there is no upkeep involved whatsoever. You'll never lose it.
    I didn't know you could buy an apartment in game. Only thought you bought houses. I'm sitting at 1.5m, trying to make more.

As someone who was enamored with the house idea, I bought one fully furnished it and loved it only to unsub for a month (because I wasn't even thinking about my house at teh time) and then lose it. Quite frustrating.

I didn't know you could buy an apartment in game. Only thought you bought houses. I'm sitting at 1.5m, trying to make more.
    Yeah, apartments are sold at the big apartment building in each housing ward. They CAN be full, so you just need to find one that has a space available. They're not very big, but you can make them quite cozy. The main issue is that they don't have outdoor furnishing spots like houses do. Other than that, they should whet your appetite for having a place to call your own without breaking the bank or holding you hostage via subscription lest you want to lose your house.

15+ Year Old Account
    if you want gold then mining is the only way you are gonna get it Gil on the other hand...

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    As someone who was enamored with the house idea, I bought one fully furnished it and loved it only to unsub for a month (because I wasn't even thinking about my house at teh time) and then lose it. Quite frustrating.

Yeah, apartments are sold at the big apartment building in each housing ward. They CAN be full, so you just need to find one that has a space available. They're not very big, but you can make them quite cozy. The main issue is that they don't have outdoor furnishing spots like houses do. Other than that, they should whet your appetite for having a place to call your own without breaking the bank or holding you hostage via subscription lest you want to lose your house.
    Are you able to put things like a storage chest, aquarium ect? I'll be honest...i'm not one for outdoor furnishings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, housing is a bit of a racket. Fortunately, it also drives a lot of the economy so if you pick up crafting you can make some cash off of people decorating and furnishing. It's also a tad less "obvious" than things like gear and consumables, so sometimes you'll find items that are popular at the time but don't have a lot of competition.

Making a ton of gil will require you to pay attention to trends and/or just put a ton of time in. I always choose the former, but some people prefer the latter. For example, here's how my gil-making journey pathed out from the time I resubbed to today.

About...2? 3? weeks...before ShB dropped: Had a couple million gil to my name, one crafter at 70, all other crafters at between 20 and 50. Wanted to level all of them to 70 before the expansion dropped and figured a lot of people were doing the same, so I'd just craft a bunch of leve items, turn in half and sell the other half. This was probably the longest and most tedious portion of the journey for obvious reasons. Ended at ~12 million.

ShB release: All crafters were at 70. Got a couple crafters to 80 immediately and started crafting triple leve items (since many of them were broken as heck) to sell. Also started crafting collectibles for scrips to amass crafting materia in preparation for the rush on them. This wasn't a terribly profitable step since it was a lot of leveling and preparation rather than raw profit. Second most tedious step due to most profits coming from leve items which just take too long to stock up on. Ended at ~15 million.

Long break here to level combat classes and do stuff, yadda yadda.

450 Gear release: Got in on the first-hour gear rush and sold some 450 items for ~1-2 million each. Also listed all the materia I was amassing as the price spiked. This wasn't a very long section (Literally one afternoon) since the gear prices died down fast and I sold all my materia in no time. Ended at ~40 million.

Post 5.05/Pre-5.1: Went back to amassing materia in preparation for new 5.1 crafting gear as I felt I short changed myself by not having enough in the last rush. Dropped out of the 450 gear market and switched to glam item selling. At this point I had enough gil to just make large investments while being lazy, so this was both the lowest effort and highest profit section. Ended at ~200 million, a 999 stack each of CP/Control 7 materia, a 99 stack each of CP/Control 8 materia, and some Craftsmanship materia at the time I unsubbed to wait for 5.1 (At the of September or so)

5.1 plans: Sell off that stash of materia and start making the new crafting gear to sell. Probably end up at ~500 million. Maybe go for gil cap if I feel like continuing on.

I didn't overmeld any of my crafting gear yet this time around because it's just not needed and is a huge money sink. Maybe in 5.1 it'll be more of a factor.

Other than the first leveling step I spent very little time each day actually crafting. Usually just while waiting for DPS queues, and generally just macroing everything while tabbed out. (With all background sounds off except "System" so that I could hear crafts ending and queues popping) Time efficiency is key, because time is the one resource that you have that isn't fungible and limits everything else. This is why - even though they're profitable - I generally don't bother with volume items like potions or food.

The big takeaways here:

1) Be lazy. You'll make more gil than you'll ever need with minimal effort, so never do more than you enjoy. Time is the resource that you want to make the most of. Do you want to have 50 million gil and still enjoy yourself, or be burnt out and have 500 million?

2) Don't be intimidated by crafting. It's not the deep, unfathomable monster people will tell you it is. There's just a lot of buttons at first, but you end up using like two of them regularly and a few others once per craft. You'll be macroing everything anyway. Just jump in and do a little homework and start raking in gil for nothing.

3) Related to both the above: Being lazy and doing your homework means you can start identifying what's going to be profitable before it happens. This is where you can make all your gil without spending all your time.
    I started a gatherer a few days ago. He's at 33. Sides that, i have a cook at mid 30's.

But, if you do lapse you still get your stuff that is not one time use and 80% of the gil you spent buying the plot back.
    So, it's not the end of the world. But if you want to keep the house then you need to sub ever 40 days or so, wich is fair. Cause if you are not using the plot, there's other players that can.
    It's the problem with limited plots.

Anyways, i dunno wich server the OP is in, but if it's Twintania or Spriggan individual houses go on sale next week, so it's in fact a great time to get a house as prices have dropped to their minimum cause of the moratorium.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    But, if you do lapse you still get your stuff that is not one time use and 80% of the gil you spent buying the plot back.
    So, it's not the end of the world. But if you want to keep the house then you need to sub ever 40 days or so, wich is fair. Cause if you are not using the plot, there's other players that can.
    It's the problem with limited plots.

Anyways, i dunno wich server the OP is in, but if it's Twintania or Spriggan individual houses go on sale next week, so it's in fact a great time to get a house as prices have dropped to their minimum cause of the moratorium.
    I'm on Yojimbo in the Japanese DC.

I'm on Yojimbo in the Japanese DC.
    Oh... getting a house on older servers might indeed be difficult.

Are you able to put things like a storage chest, aquarium ect? I'll be honest...i'm not one for outdoor furnishings.
    You can put in pretty much any indoor furnishing, space is just really limited. I say "pretty much" because I think there are some restrictions on aquariums specifically, but don't remember.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really depends on the market. Crafting 70-80 items will net you anywhere between 10k (people undercutting below NPC normal selling price) to 150k. Some sell better than others, and really depends on the server you are on. If you are not yet ready to deal with Shadowbringer crafting items, but need some immediate gil, you can always try to join a treasure hunt. Items from all of them still sell fairly well. Like the one from Shadowbringers are selling for as much as a million gil each.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2019-10-29 at 02:24 PM.

Made 100mil in the first month of ShB from mining/sending retainers to get more mining ore. Find the top 4 highest sellers and just mine those while watching tv. It is even easier in 5.1 with the addition of quick gathering.

Tanking seems to give fairly easy gil from the Duty finder, quickest thing that sells is the VII VIII materia and also high quality minerals.

Quick Ventures are extremely profitable over time, especially if you invest in gearing your retainer appropriately. Simply through Quick Ventures alone I have made millions of gil over the years. Just yesterday one of my retainers brought back two pots of jet black dye which sold within an hour for 1.1 million gil. You'll get a lot of stuff that isn't valuable as well but the long term gains make it worthwhile.