1. #1

    [fire]dragons breath

    so i in a motherload & kings rest mythic+ group yesterday and the tank was complaining that i wasnt standing in melee range so i could use dragons breath to interupt mobs. im just wondering how many of you fire mages actually stay in melee range to use dragons breath?

    how do you use dragons breathin a dungeon?. a extra ability to proc a pyroblast when you are stacked on tanks for los pulls, or maybe you dont use it at all?

    p.s i should add that ive just started playing fire mage again after along time

  2. #2
    Well, if you have the tools to prevent a certain mechanic/make the run faster and smoother, it makes perfect sense to do what is necessary (stand in melee) and do it.

  3. #3
    You can DB casts when you dont have interrupts - you should learn which spells are recasted and which are not - in this case DB works as an interrupt.
    You can DB fixates like the little mobs in Freehold, you can DB the jumping raptors in KR to stop them from doing the frontal claw/cleave attack, you can DB the Shield Wall casts by Officers in TD. DB can also interrupt non-interruptable abilities like little poison dudes jumping in Siege or the Snipers' shots.

    You should be pumping your rotation but always be ready to use your tools (DB, nova, CS, etc) to make trash easier. M+ is the only place which will FULLY put your capabilities on a spec to the test, so look into your full toolkit in addition to the 3 spells used in Mythic raiding.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    You can DB casts when you dont have interrupts - you should learn which spells are recasted and which are not - in this case DB works as an interrupt.
    You can DB fixates like the little mobs in Freehold, you can DB the jumping raptors in KR to stop them from doing the frontal claw/cleave attack, you can DB the Shield Wall casts by Officers in TD. DB can also interrupt non-interruptable abilities like little poison dudes jumping in Siege or the Snipers' shots.

    You should be pumping your rotation but always be ready to use your tools (DB, nova, CS, etc) to make trash easier. M+ is the only place which will FULLY put your capabilities on a spec to the test, so look into your full toolkit in addition to the 3 spells used in Mythic raiding.
    yea i know i can use db when i have no other interupts, what im asking if there are any mages out there at actually stand in melee range for the soul purpose to use dragons breath, when all the other abilitys have a 30-40yard range on them...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Isoz View Post
    yea i know i can use db when i have no other interupts, what im asking if there are any mages out there at actually stand in melee range for the soul purpose to use dragons breath, when all the other abilitys have a 30-40yard range on them...

    Do you take shimmer?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathan View Post
    Do you take shimmer?
    yep

    +10char

  7. #7
    It's not a great idea to stand in melee at all times, however, you should be using DB on cd especially when an interrupt is needed.

  8. #8
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The land of ports
    Posts
    13,972
    I just blink in to db mobs. Its really good for the shield guys in atal since you do no damage if you let them sit there. Its good for atal in general really

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I just blink in to db mobs. Its really good for the shield guys in atal since you do no damage if you let them sit there. Its good for atal in general really
    yeah it shocks me how many mages dont use on those mobs (when im on alts). Its way better than wasting a stun.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Isoz View Post
    ...

    how do you use dragons breathin a dungeon?. a extra ability to proc a pyroblast when you are stacked on tanks for los pulls....
    You do know that Dragon's Breath has nothing to do with the hot streak mechanic, right?

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer gutnbrg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mageland
    Posts
    3,545
    when i was playing retail, im not now im in classic, of course u interrupt with DB as much as possible...

  12. #12
    Of course you should use DB to interrupt otherwise uninterruptible casts, the tank's just trying (and failing) to be a smartass. Unless you're getting cleaved or something, but that's something else entirely.

  13. #13
    Bloodsail Admiral Kanariya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    You do know that Dragon's Breath has nothing to do with the hot streak mechanic, right?
    It does if you're talented into AF, which it sounds like OP is.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Lollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    It does if you're talented into AF, which it sounds like OP is.
    Nobody in their right mind should be using Alexstrasza's Fury over Flame On or Phoenix Flames, especially in PvE content.
    Speciation Is Gradual

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Isoz View Post
    yea i know i can use db when i have no other interupts, what im asking if there are any mages out there at actually stand in melee range for the soul purpose to use dragons breath, when all the other abilitys have a 30-40yard range on them...
    All of the smart ones if it is needed and the affixes don't force you elsewhere. It is important to note it is a date so there are a lot of things that stuns or interrupts might stop and DB won't. Also when you are in combustion if you can't pyro and only have 1 second left DB is often your best dps option. Having said all of that there are a handful of parts of KR where I will not stand in melee as a healer or range due to trash mechanics.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  16. #16
    It is all dependant on the pack and group, but any mage worth his salt will be ready to use DB for interrupt, cause it's essentially an aoe gouge.

    For motherlode it's especially important as you can take double assassin aoe int with it, and it's very essential.

    For KR not so much, there is axe barrage and poison barrage that can be DB'd, so that is not too bad.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Isoz View Post

    how do you use dragons breathin a dungeon?. a extra ability to proc a pyroblast when you are stacked on tanks for los pulls, or maybe you dont use it at all?

    p.s i should add that ive just started playing fire mage again after along time
    I use DB pretty damn well on cooldown in most keys - more so higher level keys.

    A shitty ability about to go out that cant be counterspelled? DB

    Tank is taking spike damage with too many mobs? DB

    Healer somehow has aggro on mobs? DB and nova when hes out of melee range

    Moving and other abilities are on cd or havent procced? Fuck it, DB

    Need to stagger an incoming wave of mobs caused by me when I tab targetted the wrong group? DB and blame the hunter.

    I dont live in melee but I am in an on again off again relationship with my rogue and warrior friends.

    Dragons breath alone is a reason I will swap from frost for the bulk of my high level key clears.

  18. #18
    Fire Breath doesn't have the longest range but it still has some. You don't need to be right in melee. Practice using it and you'll get an eye for how close you need to get to use it then blink away or blink in then run away or screw it you are a god of hellfire and you blink in and stand your ground

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •